Hello,

When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3
server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find
that the  table_ID's are different(newly created), but no
mapping exist to the old table id's used.

So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these tables
and still seem to reference the old table ID's somewhere,
fail unless entirely dropped and recreated.
SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists.

It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile
all..

Any ideas, please let me know
Liz
0
Liz
7/25/2008 1:04:47 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Hello,
>
> When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3
> server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find
> that the  table_ID's are different(newly created), but no
> mapping exist to the old table id's used.
>
> So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these
> tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's
> somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated.
> SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists.
>
> It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile
> all..
>
> Any ideas, please let me know
> Liz

Our Sybase server versions are:

Dump taken FROM:
----------------
Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 13325
ESD#7/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/ase1253/1951/64-bit/FBO/Fri Mar 24
11:00:22 2006

Dump Loaded INTO:
----------------
Enterprise 15.0.2 EBF 15093 ESD#2PSun_svr4OS
5.8ase1502251664-bit FBOThu Dec 20 040537 2007

Cheers :)
Liz
0
Liz
7/25/2008 1:13:00 PM
Well, first of all, sp_recompile does NOT drop and recreate your stored
procedures for you.  It only marks an object so that any subsequent proc
execution which references that object will compile a new query plan.   Your
problem is that you can't get the proc to reference the table because the
table ID has changed.

This is an interesting problem that I haven't seen before.  What do you mean
when you say the procs "fail"?  What is the error message?  Are the tables
owned by the 'dbo' or are they owned by a different user?

You might want to try the "dbcc upgrade_object()" technique and see if that
helps or not.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.dc35890_1501/html/instalhp/X10184.htm

<Liz> wrote in message news:4889cf6f.2fe6.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hello,
>
> When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3
> server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find
> that the  table_ID's are different(newly created), but no
> mapping exist to the old table id's used.
>
> So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these tables
> and still seem to reference the old table ID's somewhere,
> fail unless entirely dropped and recreated.
> SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists.
>
> It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile
> all..
>
> Any ideas, please let me know
> Liz

0
Sherlock
7/25/2008 2:30:23 PM
Liz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3
>> server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find
>> that the  table_ID's are different(newly created), but no
>> mapping exist to the old table id's used.
>>
>> So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these
>> tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's
>> somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated.
>> SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists.
>>
>> It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile
>> all..
>>
>> Any ideas, please let me know
>> Liz
>
> Our Sybase server versions are:
>
> Dump taken FROM:
> ----------------
> Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 13325
> ESD#7/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/ase1253/1951/64-bit/FBO/Fri Mar 24
> 11:00:22 2006
>
> Dump Loaded INTO:
> ----------------
> Enterprise 15.0.2 EBF 15093 ESD#2PSun_svr4OS
> 5.8ase1502251664-bit FBOThu Dec 20 040537 2007
>
> Cheers :)
> Liz

I wouldn't expect the object ids to change through dump and load.
Could you show us how you are determining that happened?
(i.e. can you post an isql session where you do something like

-----
select object_id("mytable")
go
dump database mydb to "/me/mydb.dmp"
go

----
and
----
load database mydb from "/me/mydb.dmp"
go
online database mydb
go
use mydb
go
select object_id("mytable")
go

----------

-bret
0
Bret
7/25/2008 9:06:42 PM
> Hello,
>
> When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3
> server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find
> that the  table_ID's are different(newly created), but no
> mapping exist to the old table id's used.
>
> So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these
> tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's
> somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated.
> SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists.
>
> It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile
> all..
>
> Any ideas, please let me know
> Liz

We have recently upgraded from 12.5.3 ESD#7 to 15.0.2 ESD#4
using the dump and load; The object id's for the tables did
not change;
some issue with your upgrade processes, doubt your findings,
but you can also check with tech support for any similar
bugs reported for any older versions!
0
knownothing
7/26/2008 3:38:39 AM
This may be a case where the DBID has changed and you have cross database
references in your stored procedures.

The solution is to recreate & load the databases so that the database names
and dbid values match the old system.

If you have holes in the dbid sequence just create mini "hold##" databases
to fill in the gaps while you create the real databases. Then remove the
hold## databases when all of the real databases have been created.

Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]

"Liz" wrote in message news:4889d15c.305d.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3
>> server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find
>> that the  table_ID's are different(newly created), but no
>> mapping exist to the old table id's used.
>>
>> So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these
>> tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's
>> somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated.
>> SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists.
>>
>> It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile
>> all..
>>
>> Any ideas, please let me know
>> Liz
>
> Our Sybase server versions are:
>
> Dump taken FROM:
> ----------------
> Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 13325
> ESD#7/P/Sun_svr4/OS 5.8/ase1253/1951/64-bit/FBO/Fri Mar 24
> 11:00:22 2006
>
> Dump Loaded INTO:
> ----------------
> Enterprise 15.0.2 EBF 15093 ESD#2PSun_svr4OS
> 5.8ase1502251664-bit FBOThu Dec 20 040537 2007
>
> Cheers :)
> Liz

0
Cory

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common errors / issues). I noticed that some have run into errors after the upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s). So this sparked a few questions... 1) Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors and issues than ...

Dump & Load (DB Migration from ASE 12.5 to ASE 15)
Dear All, What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump & Load Migrations from Windows to Linux. We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me have expert views. Does Linux supports RAW Devices ? Regards KRV K.R.V wrote: > Dear All, > > What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump & > Load Migrations from Windows to Linux. > > We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me > have expert views. In the past, I've bcp&#...

Dump on ASE 12.5.2 and Load on ASE 12.5.3
Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? It is possible to dump a database in 12.5.2 and load it onto 12.5.3. -bret Leandro wrote: > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and > later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? I recently dumped from 12.0 & loaded to 12.5, was pleasantly surprised the load process upgraded the database automatically. <Leandro> wrote in message news:425d7e31.7943.1681692777@sybase.com... > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12...

problems loading ASE 12.5 dump into ASE 15.0 DB
I'm having problems loading a 12.5 database dump into a 15.0 database. On the 12.5 database I do the following: dump database xxxxxx to "c:\temp\xxxxxxxxx.bkp" go Then on the 15.0 database I load the database: load database xxxxxx from "c:\temp\xxxxxxxxx.bkp" go The first strange thing here is the following: ---------------------------------------------------------- Jun 09 12:31:19 2006: Backup Server: 4.188.1.1: Database xxxxxxxxx: 655484 kilobytes (58%) LOADed. Jun 09 12:31:20 2006: Backup Server: 3.42.1.1: LOAD is complete (database xxxxxxxxxxx). ...

dump/load from ASE 12.5.1 Tru64 to ASE 12.5 HPUX
Hi evrybody, Do you know if there is a way to load on ASE 12.5.1 HP-UX a dump from ASE 12.5.1 Tru64 ? or a dump from ASE 12.5.1 linux RHEL3 ? nb: support send me a patch 12.5..3 only for backupserver on Tru64 with the one I can make dump from Tru64 12.5.1 to linux 12.51. Thank you. Cecile D. 12.5.3 provides for database dump and loads across platforms with different OS and/or hardware (ie, different endianess). However, there are a few prerequisites ... see the 'New Features' manual for 12.5.3 for details about dumping and loading between different OS/hardware pl...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0
Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 without any problems? According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What should I do instead? Deborah, Brown wrote: > Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 > without any problems? > > According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress > the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What > should I do instead? It means that most of the bugs fixed in 12.5.3 ESDs haven't yet been forward-ported to 15.0....

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Upgrade to ASE 15..0.3 from ASE 12.5.4
I'm currently planning to do an upgrade in place from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15.0.3 using sqlupgrade(res) utility. Does it just run the installmaster and instmsgs.ebf scripts ? Will I have to manually run the rest of the scripts i.e. installsecurity, installdbccdb etc.? Also in ran the preupgrade program against my old server - the main errors it came up with were: Stored Procedure '' uses deprecated builtin functions as: 'rowcnt', which should be changed to 'row_count'. It doesn't show the stored procedures name - has anyone had this problem ? Re...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.4 upgrade path
I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate upgrade to be performed in between? Take a look at the release bulletins and installation guides for your platform. These are the first steps to any upgrade. http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/detail.do?docset=1287 <passerby> wrote in message news:484e9ca8.3f0d.1681692777@sybase.com... >I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to > 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate > upgrade to be performed in between? ...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 15.02 EBF2 upgrade
Hello All, I'm testing my upgrade from Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 12600 ESD#3/P/Linux Intel/Enterprise Linux/ase1253/1911/32-bit/ to Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.2/EBF 15101 ESD#2/P/x86_64/Enterprise Linux/ase1502/2516/64-bit/FBO/Thu Dec 20 01:26:11 2007 OS: RHEL 5 so far some db are been upgraded nice some I have issues , here is one of my error: ( mentioned this db has replicated tables from other site) Any tips ? 1>online database hstspss 2> go Started estimating recovery log boundaries for database 'hstspss'. Database 'hst...

Hi, I'm trying to insert 30 GB into an existing table in an ASE 15.0.3 database as fast as possible. I want to try using 'insert .. select from ' into a ASE 15.5 minimally logged database, dump the database and load it into an ASE 15.0.3 server. Does anyone know I can do the load and will it be faster than a slow bcp? Thanks in advance. Le 18/06/2010 16:14, Andrei R. a �crit : > Hi, > > I'm trying to insert 30 GB into an existing table in an ASE > 15.0.3 database as fast as possible. I want to try using > 'insert .. select from ' into...

Web resources about - Loading a DB Dump from an ASE 12.5.3 load into ASE 15 remaps TABLE ID's but causes issues for Procedures - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

Procedure is more a snap than a snip

&#8203;When Chanelle O'Hare went searching online for a deal on potential cosmetic procedures, she could not have imagined that what she ended ...

Old Lady Lawyer: Uncivil Procedure

TSA Updates Screening Procedure, Will Mandate Some Passengers Use Full-Body Scanners
... Imaging Technologies, or AIT, in favor of full-body pat-downs by TSA agents. Under the new mandate, not everyone can opt for the pat-down procedure. ...

Why Are Web Login Security Procedures So #$*&!% Dumb And Obnoxious?
The geeks who design our websites talk a lot about user friendliness, but they often let an exaggerated security concerns get in the way of commonsense. ...