Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 to ASE 12.5.x...

Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 to ASE 12.5.x...

Dear All,

I'm in the process of creating a roll-back / contingency /
downgrade plan for an ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from
ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2).

Just a quick note to confirm my understanding of the below
statement I found in Sybase ASE 15.0.2 installation /
upgrade documentation.

Statement 01:
Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 release:

This section describes how to downgrade from Adaptive Server
15.0.2

to an earlier Adaptive Server 15.0 or 15.0.1 release.
Downgrading to a

12.5.x or earlier release is not supported.

Statement 02

Downgrade is only available from Adaptive Server 15.0.2 to
Adaptive

Server versions 15.0 and 15.0.1. You cannot downgrade
directly to

version 12.5.x or earlier. If you must downgrade to a
release earlier

than 15.0, you need to restore databases from dumps made on
that

older server.

So it seems to be quit clear that you cannot downgrade from
ASE 15.0.2 to 12.5.x or earlier.

With that said, it seems that it is stating that you have to
downgrade using an installation (old or new) of ASE 12.5.x.
 Then load an old database dump (from the old 12.5.x
environment) into the environment (i.e. an old and not
overwritten 12.5.x instance / or an alternate and existing
12.5.x instance / or newly installed 12.5.x instance).

Is this a correct understanding?

No problem if that's the steps we have to take.  Just wanted
to confirm my understanding and confirm that this is the
most recommended/preferred strategy.  I also wanted to
confirm that I was not overlooking other
recommended/preferred strategies and/or options that may
exist.

Thank you,

Susan L.
0
Susan
4/22/2010 12:17:06 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 4/22/2010 6:17 AM, Susan L. wrote:

> So it seems to be quit clear that you cannot downgrade from
> ASE 15.0.2 to 12.5.x or earlier.
>
> With that said, it seems that it is stating that you have to
> downgrade using an installation (old or new) of ASE 12.5.x.
>   Then load an old database dump (from the old 12.5.x
> environment) into the environment (i.e. an old and not
> overwritten 12.5.x instance / or an alternate and existing
> 12.5.x instance / or newly installed 12.5.x instance).
>
> Is this a correct understanding?
>
> No problem if that's the steps we have to take.  Just wanted
> to confirm my understanding and confirm that this is the
> most recommended/preferred strategy.  I also wanted to
> confirm that I was not overlooking other
> recommended/preferred strategies and/or options that may
> exist.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Susan L.

Yes, although I think this would generally be described more
as a "fall back" to the previous version rather than a downgrade.
Main difference being that you lose any changes made after the upgrade.

-bret
0
Bret
4/22/2010 4:37:21 PM
Hi Bret,

Thank you for your great feedback.  Thank you for pointing
out the difference between a downgrade and a fall back.  By
you pointing this out, it made it very clear on how we
should compose our contingency plan (our fall back plan).

Just to confirm my understanding is correct... :) This
basically means that you cannot load a higher version
database/tran dump into a prior version ('Main difference
being that you lose any changes made after the upgrade.').
That makes sense, right? :)

I hope my understanding is correct.  What are your thoughts?

Many thanks! :)

Susan L.

> On 4/22/2010 6:17 AM, Susan L. wrote:
>
> > So it seems to be quit clear that you cannot downgrade
> > from ASE 15.0.2 to 12.5.x or earlier.
> >
> > With that said, it seems that it is stating that you
> > have to downgrade using an installation (old or new) of
> >   ASE 12.5.x. Then load an old database dump (from the
> > old 12.5.x environment) into the environment (i.e. an
> > old and not overwritten 12.5.x instance / or an
> > alternate and existing 12.5.x instance / or newly
> installed 12.5.x instance). >
> > Is this a correct understanding?
> >
> > No problem if that's the steps we have to take.  Just
> > wanted to confirm my understanding and confirm that this
> > is the most recommended/preferred strategy.  I also
> > wanted to confirm that I was not overlooking other
> > recommended/preferred strategies and/or options that may
> > exist.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Susan L.
>

> Yes, although I think this would generally be described
> more as a "fall back" to the previous version rather than
> a downgrade. Main difference being that you lose any
> changes made after the upgrade.
>
> -bret
0
Susan

Upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2
Hello all, I have been writing some checklists regarding the Upgrade from ASE12.5.x version to ASE15.0.2 version, and I have to cover some different sceneries. I would like to confirm with you guys, If my thoughts are correct regarding the methods for each situation, and if not, would like some advice from you please. Correct me please if I am wrong. Follow the sceneries and the possible methods for each situation that I need to cover: A) Migrating from ASE 12.5.x 32-bit to ASE 15.0.2 64-bit version of Adaptive Server Enterprise (in this case the page size ...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too?
When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too? Dear All, I'm currently working on a ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from ASE 12.5.x). I'm trying to decide what version of ASE 15 we should upgrade to. What are your thoughts? Which version is the safest bet (ASE 15.0, ASE 15.0.1, ASE 15.0.2, ASE 15.0.3 or ASE 15.5)? Which ASE version is considered, at this time, the most mature and reliable version (i.e. with the least amount of known bugs, least amount of upgrade issues, etc.)? If applicable, please also give the most recomm...

Upgrading from ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5.2
Hi everyone, I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or otherwise ?? regards Paresh. Paresh wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. > > How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or > otherwise ?? > > regards > > Paresh. > > see the upgrade/installation guide joop -- Senior Consultant Sybase Professional Services New address per 21 November 2005: Zo...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4
What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 or 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 Thanks, liyp liy wrote: > What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? > > 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 > > or > > 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 > I did #2. At one point I considered upgrading to 15.0.2 GA and then to ESD#4, but the $SYBASE/ASE/upgrade/upgrade program looks to b...

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common errors / issues). I noticed that some have run into errors after the upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s). So this sparked a few questions... 1) Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors and issues than ...

Migration from ASE 12.5.3 (Win 32bit) to ASE 15.0.2 (Unix 64 bit) question
Hi, I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server. What steps must I follow? Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as intermediate task (consultant advice)? Thanks, Lorenzo My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections, 2.6 Gb of memory... With ASE 12.5.3 you're suppose to be able to perform cross platform dump-n-loads (XPDL), where 'cross platform' basically means different OS's and/or different endian hardware. This (obviously?) assumes you'll be using ...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration
I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of additional data space !! Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB) ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data space. ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to ad...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0
Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 without any problems? According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What should I do instead? Deborah, Brown wrote: > Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 > without any problems? > > According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress > the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What > should I do instead? It means that most of the bugs fixed in 12.5.3 ESDs haven't yet been forward-ported to 15.0....

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Web resources about - Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 to ASE 12.5.x... - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

Moody's joins Fitch in downgrading Macquarie Bank
Moody's joins Fitch in downgrading Macquarie Bank

Steve Johnson appeal succeeds in downgrading kneeing charge, free to play against Fremantle
NORTH Melbourne defender Scott Thompson’s revelation that he played with a guard to protect a broken rib was the key evidence that enabled ...

Global food trail leads to massive waste and downgrading of farming and horticulture in Australia
People throw away about a third of the food they buy - it's time we valued it more taking into account the impact cheap global food has on our ...

Japan to turn over nuclear stockpile to US for downgrading
swissinfo.ch Japan to turn over nuclear stockpile to US for downgrading swissinfo.ch U.S. President Obama shakes hands with Japanese PM Abe ...

Apple outlines AppleCare service process for downgrading from watchOS 2.0 beta
... special coverage of Apple , Apple watch , and Apple Watch . What do you think? Discuss "Apple outlines AppleCare service process for downgrading ...

The Downgrading Of Our Economic Potential
Matt O’Brien is disheartened by the above chart, which was created by Larry Summers: It shows how much more pessimistic the Congressional Budget ...

Sony talks about downgrading content on the Xperia Z5 Premium to 1080p
Sony has offered more details on why it downgraded content on the Xperia Z5 Premium to Full HD for regular use, with battery life cited as the ...

The iPhone Dev-Team Updates Redsn0w, Improves Baseband Downgrading
After first releasing the baseband 06.15.00-downgrading redsn0w 0.9.14b1 last month , the iPhone Dev-Team has now updated the jailbreak tool ...

Apple stops iOS 7.1.2 code signing, restricts downgrading from iOS 8
... on Friday stopped signing iOS 7.1.2 firmware, meaning users who migrated to the new mobile operating system no longer have the option of downgrading. ...

Amid controversy, Ubisoft denies downgrading graphics on PC Watch Dogs
Statement follows release of mod that unlocks graphical effects hidden in shipped code.