ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration

I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to
check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of
additional data space !!

Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option
takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe
to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered
master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB)

                ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data
space.
                ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to add at least 1 MB of data
space.
                ***ERROR: alter database model to add at least 2 MB of data
space.
                Database bms has enough space for upgrade.
                Database db has enough space for upgrade.
list continues...

Migration from ASE 12.5.2 on Windows 2K Server  to ASE 15 using preupgrd,
upgrade utilities or sysconfig.exe utility.

Thanks
KRV

0
KRV
10/23/2006 1:00:12 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi KRV,

First you have to completely read the documentation. Which
is Chapter 5 if you are on WINDOWS. Since the Upgrade steps
are sort of muddled up.

1. First create the OLDSYBASE,OLDSYBASE_ASE and
OLDSYBASE_)CS Environment variables before you begin.

2. I settled on a certain series of manual Upgrades to the
SQL Server before embarking on the Upgrade process because
it was asking that.

(Keep in mind that the Master Device and the Sybsystemprocs
Device are 200 MB at our site and the Master Database Size
is 100 MB and Sybsystemprocs is 132 MB). If your Master
Device is less than 200 MB (which is required by the 15
Upgrade), you can use (Disk resize - if it is a file system
file).

The Sql I used before Upgrade is given below :

sp_configure 'number of open indexes',10000

sp_configure 'default database size',3

sp_configure 'aux scan descriptors',256

sp_configure 'default network packet size',2048

sp_configure 'max network packet size',2048

sp_configure 'esp execution stacksize',65536

alter database model on master=2

alter database sybsystemdb on master=2

3. Now install the new product on the existing Sybase
directory. Make sure you have all Sybase Services shutdown
and put in Manual before doing the install. This includes
SYSAM.

4. Once the Installation is complete, create the following
folder structure inside OCS-15_0 :

OCS-12_5\ini

Copy the libtcl.cfg from c:\sybase\OCS-12_5\ini
c:\sybase\OCS-15_0\OCS-12_5\ini

5. Now run the new Syconfig.exe from c:\sybase\ASE-15_0\bin

6. It should take you through the upgrade process.

Hope this helps. If you need any help call me @
518-402-1185.

Regards,

Elangovan Raman

I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run
> preupgrd.exe to  check the upgrade validation, exe fails
> with a note add atleast 7 MB of  additional data space !!
>
> Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device,
> the left option  takes both data and log when I use alter
> database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe  to validate the
> upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered
> master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB)
>
>                 ***ERROR: alter database master to add at
> least 7 MB of data  space.
>                 ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to add at
> least 1 MB of data  space.
>                 ***ERROR: alter database model to add at
> least 2 MB of data  space.
>                 Database bms has enough space for upgrade.
>                 Database db has enough space for upgrade.
> list continues...
>
> Migration from ASE 12.5.2 on Windows 2K Server  to ASE 15
> using preupgrd,  upgrade utilities or sysconfig.exe
> utility.
>
> Thanks
> KRV

0
Elangovan
10/26/2006 3:18:23 PM
Thanks a lot for the detailed information on the upgradation process. will
try to upgrade with the below steps

romba nandri
KRV

<Elangovan Raman> wrote in message
> Hi KRV,
>
> First you have to completely read the documentation. Which
> is Chapter 5 if you are on WINDOWS. Since the Upgrade steps
> are sort of muddled up.
>
> 1. First create the OLDSYBASE,OLDSYBASE_ASE and
> OLDSYBASE_)CS Environment variables before you begin.
>
> 2. I settled on a certain series of manual Upgrades to the
> SQL Server before embarking on the Upgrade process because
> it was asking that.
>
> (Keep in mind that the Master Device and the Sybsystemprocs
> Device are 200 MB at our site and the Master Database Size
> is 100 MB and Sybsystemprocs is 132 MB). If your Master
> Device is less than 200 MB (which is required by the 15
> Upgrade), you can use (Disk resize - if it is a file system
> file).
>
> The Sql I used before Upgrade is given below :
>
> sp_configure 'number of open indexes',10000
>
> sp_configure 'default database size',3
>
> sp_configure 'aux scan descriptors',256
>
> sp_configure 'default network packet size',2048
>
> sp_configure 'max network packet size',2048
>
> sp_configure 'esp execution stacksize',65536
>
> alter database model on master=2
>
> alter database sybsystemdb on master=2
>
> 3. Now install the new product on the existing Sybase
> directory. Make sure you have all Sybase Services shutdown
> and put in Manual before doing the install. This includes
> SYSAM.
>
> 4. Once the Installation is complete, create the following
> folder structure inside OCS-15_0 :
>
> OCS-12_5\ini
>
> Copy the libtcl.cfg from c:\sybase\OCS-12_5\ini
> c:\sybase\OCS-15_0\OCS-12_5\ini
>
> 5. Now run the new Syconfig.exe from c:\sybase\ASE-15_0\bin
>
> 6. It should take you through the upgrade process.
>
> Hope this helps. If you need any help call me @
> 518-402-1185.
>
> Regards,
>
> Elangovan Raman
>

> I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run
>> preupgrd.exe to  check the upgrade validation, exe fails
>> with a note add atleast 7 MB of  additional data space !!
>>
>> Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device,
>> the left option  takes both data and log when I use alter
>> database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe  to validate the
>> upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered
>> master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB)
>>
>>                 ***ERROR: alter database master to add at
>> least 7 MB of data  space.
>>                 ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to add at
>> least 1 MB of data  space.
>>                 ***ERROR: alter database model to add at
>> least 2 MB of data  space.
>>                 Database bms has enough space for upgrade.
>>                 Database db has enough space for upgrade.
>> list continues...
>>
>> Migration from ASE 12.5.2 on Windows 2K Server  to ASE 15
>> using preupgrd,  upgrade utilities or sysconfig.exe
>> utility.
>>
>> Thanks
>> KRV

0
KRV

This is for UNIX platforms, just for info, this is not
metioned in the documents.

I guess we have to set the all the environment variables
with the OLDSYBASE, OLDSYBASE_ASE, and OLDSYBASE_OCS,

or execute SYBASE.sh (Bourne shell).

We got the following error when we set only SYBASE,
SYBASE_ASE and SYBASE_OCS with OLDSYBASE, OLDSYBASE_ASE, and
OLDSYBASE_OCS

sybase@zblrdba02</tools/sybase/ASE150/ASE-15_0/bin>
./sqlupgraderes -r
/tools/sybase/ASE150/ASE-15_0/init/sample_resource_files/sqlupgrade.adaptive_server.rs_old
Copying interfaces file entry to new directory...
The interfaces file entry has been copied to the new
directory.
Running preupgrade program...
The preupgrade program has completed successfully.
Checking reserved words in each database...
No reserved word conflicts were found.
Checkpointing all databases...
All databases have been checkpointed.
Copying configuration file to new directory...
The configuration file has been copied to the new directory.
Updating RUN_SERVER file...
The RUN_SERVER file has been updated.
Doing pre-upgrade modifications...
Pre-upgrade modifications succeeded.
Restarting Adaptive Server....
Killed

after "Killed" it was hangging for hours. and after
executing SYBASE.sh, the problem solved.

sybase@zblrdba02</tools/sybase/ASE150> . ./SYBASE.sh

sybase@zblrdba02</tools/sybase/ASE150/ASE-15_0/bin>
./sqlupgraderes -r
/tools/sybase/ASE150/ASE-15_0/init/sample_resource_files/sqlupgrade.adaptive_server.>
Copying interfaces file entry to new directory...
The interfaces file entry has been copied to the new
directory.
Running preupgrade program...
The preupgrade program has completed successfully.
Checking reserved words in each database...
No reserved word conflicts were found.
Checkpointing all databases...
All databases have been checkpointed.
Copying configuration file to new directory...
The configuration file has been copied to the new directory.
Updating RUN_SERVER file...
The RUN_SERVER file has been updated.
Doing pre-upgrade modifications...
Pre-upgrade modifications succeeded.
Restarting Adaptive Server....
Adaptive Server has been restarted.
Running upgrade program...
The upgrade program has completed successfully.
Restarting Adaptive Server....
Adaptive Server has been restarted.
Running installmaster script...
installmaster: 10% complete.
installmaster: 20% complete.
installmaster: 30% complete.
installmaster: 40% complete.
installmaster: 50% complete.
installmaster: 60% complete.
installmaster: 70% complete.
installmaster: 80% complete.
installmaster: 90% complete.
installmaster: 100% complete.
The installmaster script has been successfully installed.
Running installcommit script...
The installcommit script has been successfully installed.
Installing common character sets (Code Page 437, Code Page
850, ISO Latin-1,
Macintosh and HP Roman-8)...
Character sets installed.
Restarting Adaptive Server....
Adaptive Server has been restarted.
sybase@zblrdba02</tools/sybase/ASE150/ASE-15_0/bin> isql
-Usa -SSYBASE
Password:
1> select @@version
2> go

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.1/EBF 13818/P/Sun_svr4/OS
5.8/ase1501/2379/32-b
         it/FBO/Tue Aug 15 08:40:10 2006

(1 row affected)
1> exit
sybase@zblrdba02</tools/sybase/ASE150/ASE-15_0/bin>

Regards,
-Jayadeva.
> Hi KRV,
>
> First you have to completely read the documentation. Which
> is Chapter 5 if you are on WINDOWS. Since the Upgrade
> steps are sort of muddled up.
>
> 1. First create the OLDSYBASE,OLDSYBASE_ASE and
> OLDSYBASE_)CS Environment variables before you begin.
>
> 2. I settled on a certain series of manual Upgrades to the
> SQL Server before embarking on the Upgrade process because
> it was asking that.
>
> (Keep in mind that the Master Device and the
> Sybsystemprocs Device are 200 MB at our site and the
> Master Database Size is 100 MB and Sybsystemprocs is 132
> MB). If your Master Device is less than 200 MB (which is
> required by the 15 Upgrade), you can use (Disk resize - if
> it is a file system file).
>
> The Sql I used before Upgrade is given below :
>
> sp_configure 'number of open indexes',10000
>
> sp_configure 'default database size',3
>
> sp_configure 'aux scan descriptors',256
>
> sp_configure 'default network packet size',2048
>
> sp_configure 'max network packet size',2048
>
> sp_configure 'esp execution stacksize',65536
>
> alter database model on master=2
>
> alter database sybsystemdb on master=2
>
> 3. Now install the new product on the existing Sybase
> directory. Make sure you have all Sybase Services shutdown
> and put in Manual before doing the install. This includes
> SYSAM.
>
> 4. Once the Installation is complete, create the following
> folder structure inside OCS-15_0 :
>
> OCS-12_5\ini
>
> Copy the libtcl.cfg from c:\sybase\OCS-12_5\ini
> c:\sybase\OCS-15_0\OCS-12_5\ini
>
> 5. Now run the new Syconfig.exe from
> c:\sybase\ASE-15_0\bin
>
> 6. It should take you through the upgrade process.
>
> Hope this helps. If you need any help call me @
> 518-402-1185.
>
> Regards,
>
> Elangovan Raman
>

> I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run
> > preupgrd.exe to  check the upgrade validation, exe fails
> > with a note add atleast 7 MB of  additional data space
> !! >
> > Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master
> > device, the left option  takes both data and log when I
> > use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe  to
> > validate the upgrade process again its giving same
> > message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M
> from 10 MB) >
> >                 ***ERROR: alter database master to add
> > at least 7 MB of data  space.
> >                 ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to add
> > at least 1 MB of data  space.
> >                 ***ERROR: alter database model to add at
> > least 2 MB of data  space.
> >                 Database bms has enough space for
> >                 upgrade. Database db has enough space
> > for upgrade. list continues...
> >
> > Migration from ASE 12.5.2 on Windows 2K Server  to ASE
> > 15 using preupgrd,  upgrade utilities or sysconfig.exe
> > utility.
> >
> > Thanks
> > KRV

0
Jayadeva

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

Migration from ASE 12.5.3 (Win 32bit) to ASE 15.0.2 (Unix 64 bit) question
Hi, I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server. What steps must I follow? Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as intermediate task (consultant advice)? Thanks, Lorenzo My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections, 2.6 Gb of memory... With ASE 12.5.3 you're suppose to be able to perform cross platform dump-n-loads (XPDL), where 'cross platform' basically means different OS's and/or different endian hardware. This (obviously?) assumes you'll be using ...

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common errors / issues). I noticed that some have run into errors after the upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s). So this sparked a few questions... 1) Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors and issues than ...

Migration from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hello I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point me to some documentation on the subject? I am particularly interested in documents that explain the best way to migrate database objects (tables, indexes, etc...) and data. Thanks in advance. Jorge Vergara Sispro S.A. Canoas - RS - Brasil jlvergara@sispro.com.br wrote... > Hello > > I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point > me to some documentation on the subject? > I am particularly interested in documents that explain the b...

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

Upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2
Hello all, I have been writing some checklists regarding the Upgrade from ASE12.5.x version to ASE15.0.2 version, and I have to cover some different sceneries. I would like to confirm with you guys, If my thoughts are correct regarding the methods for each situation, and if not, would like some advice from you please. Correct me please if I am wrong. Follow the sceneries and the possible methods for each situation that I need to cover: A) Migrating from ASE 12.5.x 32-bit to ASE 15.0.2 64-bit version of Adaptive Server Enterprise (in this case the page size ...

Dump & Load (DB Migration from ASE 12.5 to ASE 15)
Dear All, What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump & Load Migrations from Windows to Linux. We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me have expert views. Does Linux supports RAW Devices ? Regards KRV K.R.V wrote: > Dear All, > > What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump & > Load Migrations from Windows to Linux. > > We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me > have expert views. In the past, I've bcp&#...

Upgrading from ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5.2
Hi everyone, I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or otherwise ?? regards Paresh. Paresh wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. > > How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or > otherwise ?? > > regards > > Paresh. > > see the upgrade/installation guide joop -- Senior Consultant Sybase Professional Services New address per 21 November 2005: Zo...

ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 12.5 Migration over Replication Server?
Hi, I've heared about the possibility to migrate an ASE (11.9.2->12.5, both 32bit) over the Replication server. Is it also possible with this solution to increase the page size (old ASE 11.9.2 with 2k -> new ASE 12.5 with 4k)? If yes, could anybody explain me please how that works? We've been using Rep. Server only for warm standby. Thank you in advance. Best regards, Marco Stroech ______________________________________________________ Marco Stroech Databases AOL Deutschland � Millerntorplatz 1 � 20359 Hamburg � Germany +49 (40) 36159-7454 � fax: +49 (40...

upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4
What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 or 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 Thanks, liyp liy wrote: > What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? > > 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 > > or > > 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 > I did #2. At one point I considered upgrading to 15.0.2 GA and then to ESD#4, but the $SYBASE/ASE/upgrade/upgrade program looks to b...

ASE 12.5.2 and ASE 15
Hi everybody: We have a Sun Solaris server with ASE 12.5.2. Can we install ASE 15.0 on this server and work with two version of ASE ??. Sincerely George <George> wrote in message news:43a9c028.32f5.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi everybody: > > We have a Sun Solaris server with ASE 12.5.2. Can we install > ASE 15.0 on this server and work with two version of ASE ??. > > Sincerely > > George Yes -- as long as you install each in a separate directory tree and make sure you have separate sets of settings for $SYBASE, $SYBASE_ASE< $SYBASE_O...

Migration to ASE 12 from ASE 11.5
Hi all, Has anyone out there perormed a migration from ASE 11.5.1.1 to ASE 12 on NT. If so I would be greatful if you could provide information on the following 1. Ease of migration and any issues encountered. 2. Sizes of databases migrated 3. Adopted migration plans - I could not find anything on the Sybase web site. 4. Experiences on ASE 12. Thanking you in advance Puvendran Hi, Yes, I have performed a migration from both v11.5.1 to v12 and from v11.9.2.1 to 12. I have put my responses below each of your questions. -- Andy Price, Sybase Certified Adapt...

Migration from ASE 12.0 ( HPUX ) to ASE 12.5 ( Solaris 8 )
Hi, I'd like to migrate an ASE 12.0.0.3 (roman8) on HPUX 11 with many DBs to an ASE 12.5.0.3 (*roman8*) on Solaris 8. I know it's not the default charset on solaris. I've made dump on HPUX, copy it on Sun box and load it. I know it's not supported by Sybase ( cross plateform dump ). However, it seems to be OK, the upgrade works well, the dbcc (check table, alloc) did not reveal error. I think it's not supported only because the charset deffers ( by default ) on the plateform. What do you think of this ? is there others checks to do ? What kind of corruption or...

Web resources about - ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bacterium in Otzi the Iceman's stomach provides human migration clues
An insight into the peopling of Europe has emerged from an unlikely source: the stomach contents of a 5300-year-old body pulled from a thawing ...

Danger ahead: migration, climate top risks for Davos leaders
But China's turbulent markets, a tumbling oil price and Middle East tensions are likely to dominate corridor conversations at the World Economic ...

Sydney Festival review: The Migration's brilliance undermined by flawed sound
Australian jazz made a welcome return to Sydney Festival with the premiere of Stu Hunter's new suite.

Is Apple really building an iOS to Android migration tool?
Apple is rumored to be working on a tool that will make it easier for iOS users to migrate to Android, following pressure from major European ...

Austrian Bank Shuts Down Account of Anti-Mass Migration Group
Major Austrian bank Erste Bank has shut down the account of the Austrian Identitarian movement according to a press release from the activist ...

Sex assaults inflame Germany’s migration battle
Scores of alleged sexual assaults against German women have added another dimension to the country’ s fraught debate over migration. The FT reports. ...

Apple iOS 9.3 download and the mystery of Android migration
The Apple iOS 9.3 download is now available (a beta, natch). Richi rounds up the interesting features, but also ponders the rumor that Cupertino ...

Ötzi the Iceman's Gut Bacteria Can Help Us Trace Early Human Migration
... A multidisciplinary team of scientists at European Academy of Bozen have studied Ötzi’s gut bacteria to learn more about early human migration ...

Iceman's gut microbes shed light on human migration - GlobalPost
... microbes of the Iceman, a 5,300-year-old mummy found frozen in a European glacier in 1991, have shed new light on the history of human migration, ...