ASE 12.5 32bit to ASE 15.0 64bit upgrade

What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit
on AIX 5.3?  The 15.0.1 Installation Guide describes the
normal 15.0 upgrade process but then has a terse section
towards the end, "Migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit version",
that describes other steps.  Are these steps in addition to
the normal upgrade process (sqlupgrade) or are they in place
of sqlupgrade?  Do I really have to drop and re-create all
compiled objects (step 12 under Method #3: Replacing the
binary)?
0
Keith
3/14/2007 10:53:42 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Keith Wonderly wrote:

> What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit
> on AIX 5.3?  The 15.0.1 Installation Guide describes the
> normal 15.0 upgrade process but then has a terse section
> towards the end, "Migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit version",
> that describes other steps.  Are these steps in addition to
> the normal upgrade process (sqlupgrade) or are they in place
> of sqlupgrade?  Do I really have to drop and re-create all
> compiled objects (step 12 under Method #3: Replacing the
> binary)?

	You make a good point. I don't think the docs really cover
	doing both clearly. But I think you have have to read it
	as doing both. Of course, if you are unsure, you could do
	either an upgrade to 32bit ASE 15 first and then switch to
	64bit or do the switch to 64bit 12.5 and then upgrade.

	Do you really need to switch to 64bit? Regardless, even
	though the data is ostensibly the same, the change in
	binary size does impact the data. The switch is recorded
	in the master database (or master device config block. Can't
	recall which now). Switching back isn't (or wasn't, I'm not
	up on whether this has been addressed yet) supported -
	partly because of the change to compiled objects. I'm
	not sure if getting away with recompiles will work. Try
	doing a search, its been discussed before.

-am	� 2007
> Keith Wonderly wrote:
> >
> > What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0
> > 64bit on AIX 5.3?  The 15.0.1 Installation Guide
> > describes the normal 15.0 upgrade process but then has a
> > terse section towards the end, "Migrating from 32-bit to
> > 64-bit version", that describes other steps.  Are these
> > steps in addition to the normal upgrade process
> > (sqlupgrade) or are they in place of sqlupgrade?  Do I
> > really have to drop and re-create all compiled objects
> > (step 12 under Method #3: Replacing the binary)?
>
>     You make a good point. I don't think the docs really
> cover
>     doing both clearly. But I think you have have to read
> it
>     as doing both. Of course, if you are unsure, you could
> do
>     either an upgrade to 32bit ASE 15 first and then
> switch to
>     64bit or do the switch to 64bit 12.5 and then upgrade.
>
>     Do you really need to switch to 64bit? Regardless,
> even
>     though the data is ostensibly the same, the change in
>     binary size does impact the data. The switch is
> recorded
>     in the master database (or master device config block.
> Can't
>     recall which now). Switching back isn't (or wasn't,
> I'm not
>     up on whether this has been addressed yet) supported -
>     partly because of the change to compiled objects. I'm
>     not sure if getting away with recompiles will work.
> Try
>     doing a search, its been discussed before.
>
> -am    =a9 2007

Thanks.  We're going to 64 bit to get beyond the 2.75 gig
memory limit in Sybase on AIX.
Just found out from Sybase tech support that we can run dbcc
upgrade_object instead of dropping and recreating.
0
Keith
3/19/2007 3:44:08 PM
A, M, wrote:
> Keith Wonderly wrote:
>> What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit
>> on AIX 5.3?  The 15.0.1 Installation Guide describes the
>> normal 15.0 upgrade process but then has a terse section
>> towards the end, "Migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit version",
>> that describes other steps.  Are these steps in addition to
>> the normal upgrade process (sqlupgrade) or are they in place
>> of sqlupgrade?  Do I really have to drop and re-create all
>> compiled objects (step 12 under Method #3: Replacing the
>> binary)?
>
> 	You make a good point. I don't think the docs really cover
> 	doing both clearly. But I think you have have to read it
> 	as doing both. Of course, if you are unsure, you could do
> 	either an upgrade to 32bit ASE 15 first and then switch to
> 	64bit or do the switch to 64bit 12.5 and then upgrade.
>
> 	Do you really need to switch to 64bit? Regardless, even
> 	though the data is ostensibly the same, the change in
> 	binary size does impact the data. The switch is recorded
> 	in the master database (or master device config block. Can't
> 	recall which now). Switching back isn't (or wasn't, I'm not
> 	up on whether this has been addressed yet) supported -
> 	partly because of the change to compiled objects. I'm
> 	not sure if getting away with recompiles will work. Try
> 	doing a search, its been discussed before.
>
> -am	� 2007

There is no 32-bit ASE 15 for AIX 5.3.  Only available in 64-bit.

I took the approach of upgrading 12.5.x 32-bit to 12.5.x 64-bit, then to
15.0.  This worked (with a fair amount of wrangling); as Anthony says,
the docs leave something to be desired.

Take a look at the "Planning your ASE 15 Migration" document, available
as a technical whitepaper on Sybase's website.  I would have attached
it, but forums complains that the message is too large, even zipped.

Jim
0
Jim
4/19/2007 12:03:52 AM
Jim Herod wrote:

> There is no 32-bit ASE 15 for AIX 5.3.  Only available in 64-bit.

	Really? That's interesting.

> I took the approach of upgrading 12.5.x 32-bit to 12.5.x 64-bit, then to
> 15.0.  This worked (with a fair amount of wrangling); as Anthony says,
> the docs leave something to be desired.
>
> Take a look at the "Planning your ASE 15 Migration" document, available
> as a technical whitepaper on Sybase's website.  I would have attached
> it, but forums complains that the message is too large, even zipped.

	You could just post the URL instead.

-am	� 2007

Logins + passwords when migrating from ASE 12.5.4/Linux x86 32bit to ASE 15.0.3/Solaris SPARC 64bit
Hi, I'd like to migrate one of our databases from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15. Source server is running on Linux x86 32bit, target server is Solaris SPARC 64bit. Cross-plattform dump and load works fine. The problem arises with logins/passwords. I've copied the contents of syslogins from the old server to the new one, but I can't log in using one of the manually migrated logins. Checking syslogins, I noticed that the password hashes on ASE 15 look different. Old hashes are just 60 characters long, the new ones 84 characters. According to Michael Peppler's ASE on Linux FAQ...

Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0
Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 without any problems? According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What should I do instead? Deborah, Brown wrote: > Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 > without any problems? > > According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress > the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What > should I do instead? It means that most of the bugs fixed in 12.5.3 ESDs haven't yet been forward-ported to 15.0....

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Upgrade to ASE 15..0.3 from ASE 12.5.4
I'm currently planning to do an upgrade in place from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15.0.3 using sqlupgrade(res) utility. Does it just run the installmaster and instmsgs.ebf scripts ? Will I have to manually run the rest of the scripts i.e. installsecurity, installdbccdb etc.? Also in ran the preupgrade program against my old server - the main errors it came up with were: Stored Procedure '' uses deprecated builtin functions as: 'rowcnt', which should be changed to 'row_count'. It doesn't show the stored procedures name - has anyone had this problem ? Re...

When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too?
When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too? Dear All, I'm currently working on a ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from ASE 12.5.x). I'm trying to decide what version of ASE 15 we should upgrade to. What are your thoughts? Which version is the safest bet (ASE 15.0, ASE 15.0.1, ASE 15.0.2, ASE 15.0.3 or ASE 15.5)? Which ASE version is considered, at this time, the most mature and reliable version (i.e. with the least amount of known bugs, least amount of upgrade issues, etc.)? If applicable, please also give the most recomm...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.4 upgrade path
I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate upgrade to be performed in between? Take a look at the release bulletins and installation guides for your platform. These are the first steps to any upgrade. http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/detail.do?docset=1287 <passerby> wrote in message news:484e9ca8.3f0d.1681692777@sybase.com... >I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to > 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate > upgrade to be performed in between? ...

Upgrading from ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5.2
Hi everyone, I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or otherwise ?? regards Paresh. Paresh wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I am basically thinking of upgrading ASE 12.0.x to ASE 12.5.2. > > How would the migration process be. Is it straight dump and load or > otherwise ?? > > regards > > Paresh. > > see the upgrade/installation guide joop -- Senior Consultant Sybase Professional Services New address per 21 November 2005: Zo...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 15.02 EBF2 upgrade
Hello All, I'm testing my upgrade from Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 12600 ESD#3/P/Linux Intel/Enterprise Linux/ase1253/1911/32-bit/ to Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.2/EBF 15101 ESD#2/P/x86_64/Enterprise Linux/ase1502/2516/64-bit/FBO/Thu Dec 20 01:26:11 2007 OS: RHEL 5 so far some db are been upgraded nice some I have issues , here is one of my error: ( mentioned this db has replicated tables from other site) Any tips ? 1>online database hstspss 2> go Started estimating recovery log boundaries for database 'hstspss'. Database 'hst...

Upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2
Hello all, I have been writing some checklists regarding the Upgrade from ASE12.5.x version to ASE15.0.2 version, and I have to cover some different sceneries. I would like to confirm with you guys, If my thoughts are correct regarding the methods for each situation, and if not, would like some advice from you please. Correct me please if I am wrong. Follow the sceneries and the possible methods for each situation that I need to cover: A) Migrating from ASE 12.5.x 32-bit to ASE 15.0.2 64-bit version of Adaptive Server Enterprise (in this case the page size ...

upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4
What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 or 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 Thanks, liyp liy wrote: > What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? > > 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 > > or > > 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 > I did #2. At one point I considered upgrading to 15.0.2 GA and then to ESD#4, but the $SYBASE/ASE/upgrade/upgrade program looks to b...

Performance Degradation after ASE 12.0 upgrade to ASE 12.5
Hello, There was a issue posted on 08/06/2002 by 'Bob' related to performance degradation after upgrade of ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5. I would like to know whether anyone has found any solution/workaround to resolve those issues without making any changes in the application code. We are also facing the same problems here after upgrade of ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5. The program which takes 10 mins. on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 3 hrs to finish on ASE 12.5 despite of using the same indexes and the program which takes 3 hrs on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 24 hours on ASE 12.5. ...

ASE 11.5 upgrade to ASE 12.0
Hi there, Could someone lead me to find any documentation on how to upgrade ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.0 running on HPUX. All your input is much appreciated. Thanks Don Don: All that I could find was the ASE 12 Installation Guide and Release Bulletin. I know that there was a nice 'cookbook' document in the support area of the web site for upgrading to 11.5, but I guess that wasn't very helpful to many folks since there was no repeat done. We are running HPUX 11.0, 64-bit ASE 12 and have ASE configured with 6GB of memory. John Langston TV Guide Networks, Inc. Ano...

Migration from ASE 12.5.3 (Win 32bit) to ASE 15.0.2 (Unix 64 bit) question
Hi, I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server. What steps must I follow? Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as intermediate task (consultant advice)? Thanks, Lorenzo My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections, 2.6 Gb of memory... With ASE 12.5.3 you're suppose to be able to perform cross platform dump-n-loads (XPDL), where 'cross platform' basically means different OS's and/or different endian hardware. This (obviously?) assumes you'll be using ...

Web resources about - ASE 12.5 32bit to ASE 15.0 64bit upgrade - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

H-1 upgrade program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The H-1 upgrade program refers to the United States Marine Corps 's program to develop the AH-1Z Viper and UH-1Y Venom to replace its aging fleets ...

Tumblr Referrals From Facebook Up 2.5X Following Upgrade For Timeline
Since upgrading for timeline and launching with open graph in April, Tumblr has seen its referral traffic from Facebook rise by more than 2.5 ...

Facebook Platform Upgrade Guide
Upgrade instructions for Facebook's platform across versions.

Facebook Allows Users to Upgrade to the New Messages Product, Why You Should
Some users are seeing a prompt when they visit their Facebook Messages inbox allowing them to upgrade to the New Messages product launched in ...

Search Twitter - upgrade
... here Search Refresh julia @ d0gbones 3m I laughed at the call handler when he told me it'd be £400 to stay on my current price plan and upgrade ...

Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store on iTunes
Get Todo 6 (for devices that cannot upgrade to version 7) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Desktop Audio Upgrade - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I needed some new speakers for my desktop computer system at home. I've been tolerating JBL creature 2.1 system for a couple of years now and ...

EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube
EU Project INDECT, Orwell gets an upgrade - YouTube