Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the
dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for
upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?

Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to
see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load
strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common
errors / issues).

I noticed that some have run into errors after the
upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s).  So
this sparked a few questions...

1)  Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors
and issues than the other (dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade
utility)?

2) Has anyone faced a situation where they tried to use the
dump/load strategy, but ran into so many issues / errors,
that they finally had to start over (from scratch) and go
with using sqlupgrade utility instead.  Meaning that in the
end, if they would have gone with the sqlupgrade utility
first, they wouldn't have lost so much time.

3) Or... is the dump/load strategy just as safe as using the
sqlupgrade utility.

4) Is the sqlupgrade utility the most recommended strategy
(including by Sybase)?  Or are they both well supported and
recommended strategies (including by Sybase)?

NOTE:  The reason I ask this... because I potentially want
to use the dump/load strategy for our ASE 15.x
upgrade/migration (from ASE 12.5.x).

NOTE:  My biggest concern, is if we decide to use the
dump/load upgrade/migration strategy and we run into an
overwhelming amount of issues / errors... then we open a
Case with Sybase, will someone say... Hey! Why did you use
the dump/load strategy, you should've used sqlupgrade
utility?  I'm assuming this will never be the case.  I just
wanted to do my homework and make sure that I've covered all
bases. :)

I'm trying to find the best way to make a final decision,
and/or learn if there is a rule of thumb when making this
kind of decision (deciding whether to use the dump/load
strategy vs.  sqlupgrade utility).

What are your thoughts?

Thank you,

Susan L.

P.S.  Please forgive me if this my questoin are similar to
the questions I asked several days ago.  My goal is more
focused on any errors/issues, which people may have run into
while using either upgrade/migration strategy.

I apologize if my question is redundant.
0
Susan
4/23/2010 8:39:51 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

1 Replies
938 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

Susan,
You need to ask Sybase Support what they support.



-- 
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
"Susan L." wrote in message news:4bd20597.3c22.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Are there any common errors / issues related to using the
> dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for
> upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
> 
> Hi everyone,
> 
> I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to
> see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load
> strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common
> errors / issues).
> 
> I noticed that some have run into errors after the
> upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s).  So
> this sparked a few questions...
> 
> 1)  Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors
> and issues than the other (dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade
> utility)?
> 
> 2) Has anyone faced a situation where they tried to use the
> dump/load strategy, but ran into so many issues / errors,
> that they finally had to start over (from scratch) and go
> with using sqlupgrade utility instead.  Meaning that in the
> end, if they would have gone with the sqlupgrade utility
> first, they wouldn't have lost so much time.
> 
> 3) Or... is the dump/load strategy just as safe as using the
> sqlupgrade utility.
> 
> 4) Is the sqlupgrade utility the most recommended strategy
> (including by Sybase)?  Or are they both well supported and
> recommended strategies (including by Sybase)?
> 
> NOTE:  The reason I ask this... because I potentially want
> to use the dump/load strategy for our ASE 15.x
> upgrade/migration (from ASE 12.5.x).
> 
> NOTE:  My biggest concern, is if we decide to use the
> dump/load upgrade/migration strategy and we run into an
> overwhelming amount of issues / errors... then we open a
> Case with Sybase, will someone say... Hey! Why did you use
> the dump/load strategy, you should've used sqlupgrade
> utility?  I'm assuming this will never be the case.  I just
> wanted to do my homework and make sure that I've covered all
> bases. :)
> 
> I'm trying to find the best way to make a final decision,
> and/or learn if there is a rule of thumb when making this
> kind of decision (deciding whether to use the dump/load
> strategy vs.  sqlupgrade utility).
> 
> What are your thoughts?
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Susan L.
> 
> P.S.  Please forgive me if this my questoin are similar to
> the questions I asked several days ago.  My goal is more
> focused on any errors/issues, which people may have run into
> while using either upgrade/migration strategy.
> 
> I apologize if my question is redundant.
0
Cory
4/27/2010 5:49:39 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Dump/Load (from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15.x) - VS.
Hi All, We are in the process of planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.5.4 dataservers to ASE 15.x. What is the most recommended way to upgrade ASE dataservers from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15.x? Potential options: 1) Install new instances of ASE 15.x and load database dumps from our ASE 12.5.4 dataservers to the newly installed ASE 15.x dataservers. - OR - 2) Use the ASE upgrade utility (sqlupgrade) to upgrade our existing ASE 12.5.4 dataservers to ASE 15.x. What are the Pros vs. Cons for loading a 12.5.4 database into a 15.x ASE dataserver versus performing an ASE dataserv...

When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too?
When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too? Dear All, I'm currently working on a ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from ASE 12.5.x). I'm trying to decide what version of ASE 15 we should upgrade to. What are your thoughts? Which version is the safest bet (ASE 15.0, ASE 15.0.1, ASE 15.0.2, ASE 15.0.3 or ASE 15.5)? Which ASE version is considered, at this time, the most mature and reliable version (i.e. with the least amount of known bugs, least amount of upgrade issues, etc.)? If applicable, please also give the most recomm...

Upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2
Hello all, I have been writing some checklists regarding the Upgrade from ASE12.5.x version to ASE15.0.2 version, and I have to cover some different sceneries. I would like to confirm with you guys, If my thoughts are correct regarding the methods for each situation, and if not, would like some advice from you please. Correct me please if I am wrong. Follow the sceneries and the possible methods for each situation that I need to cover: A) Migrating from ASE 12.5.x 32-bit to ASE 15.0.2 64-bit version of Adaptive Server Enterprise (in this case the page size ...

Dump & Load (DB Migration from ASE 12.5 to ASE 15)
Dear All, What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump & Load Migrations from Windows to Linux. We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me have expert views. Does Linux supports RAW Devices ? Regards KRV K.R.V wrote: > Dear All, > > What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump & > Load Migrations from Windows to Linux. > > We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me > have expert views. In the past, I've bcp&#...

ASE 12.5.x to 15.0.x upgradation
Hi, Anyboday, can you please send me a link or document for step by step approach with commands how to upgrade from sybase 12.5.x to 15.0.x.I have gone through the sybase documents,still i am looking for some realtime approach(with all the necessary pre upgrade and post upgrade tasks with commands) in both windows and unix platform.My server contains 50 databases from 2gb to 10 gb sizes.It will be very helpful to me. Thanks a lot in advance. regards, VNLSK Here is thre link too the main page... http://www.sybase.com/support/techdocs/migration Here is the best doc. http://...

ASE 12.5.x to 15.0.x Migration Recommendations
Hi all. Any one knows about any document and/or manual that describes considerations to take when migrating an application from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.x. We're planning to migrate some of our applications but have heard about some troubles, regarding performance and issues like configuration, query optimization, memory consumption, etc. Thanks for any help! Juan JA wrote: > > Any one knows about any document and/or manual that > describes considerations to take when migrating an > application from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.x. Do you really mean migratin...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

ASE ODBC Driver 15.x backward compatible with ASE 12.5.x
Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is backward compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored procedures in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type users to work. -- Thank You Scott Kellish --- Quote of the Minute --- Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it. _________________________________________ Scott Kellish, Owner SoftSystem Solutions, LLC. 18 Ridge Road...

Loading a DB Dump from an ASE 12.5.3 load into ASE 15 remaps TABLE ID's but causes issues for Procedures
Hello, When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3 server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find that the table_ID's are different(newly created), but no mapping exist to the old table id's used. So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated. SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists. It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile all.. Any ideas, please let me know Liz > Hello, > > When...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration
I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of additional data space !! Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB) ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data space. ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to ad...

Migration from ASE 12.0 32 bit to ASE 12.x 64 bit
Pundits one and all, We are looking closely at migrating from ASE 12.0.0.4 ESD#2 32 bit on a Solaris platform to 64 bit ASE. Notwithstanding improvements in ASE 12.5 that may benefit us, the main driver is to take maximum advantage of the 16G physical memory on the host. Simplistically we could either ... a) convert to 64 bit ASE 12.0 (as phase 1), then convert to ASE 12.5 64 bit (as phase 2) at a later date, or b) convert to 32 bit ASE 12.5 (as phase 1), then convert at 64 bit after gaining confidence in the version change, c) convert to 64 bit ASE 12.5 in one fell swoop to m...

Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0
Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 without any problems? According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What should I do instead? Deborah, Brown wrote: > Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 > without any problems? > > According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress > the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What > should I do instead? It means that most of the bugs fixed in 12.5.3 ESDs haven't yet been forward-ported to 15.0....

Dump on ASE 12.5.2 and Load on ASE 12.5.3
Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? It is possible to dump a database in 12.5.2 and load it onto 12.5.3. -bret Leandro wrote: > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and > later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? I recently dumped from 12.0 & loaded to 12.5, was pleasantly surprised the load process upgraded the database automatically. <Leandro> wrote in message news:425d7e31.7943.1681692777@sybase.com... > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12...

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Web resources about - Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

Resources last updated: 12/18/2015 10:46:36 PM