tempdb/lazy writes/HK

After reading thru the docs for tempdb, tempdb write optimization, and
the cache config option "HK ignore cache" and checkpoints, I have the
following question:

If a set up a second tempdb, bind it to a cache that's as big as the
database, set HK ignore cache, will this in effect stop physical
writes in that secondary tempdb to physical disk?

Or will they ultimately get written to disk by checkpoint?

Even if ASE, in this scenario ultimately writes to disk, is my thought
process correct in that it's really not necessary in the specific
example above, since it's a tempdb type database, and I have a cache
as big as the database?

Thanks,
Bob
0
Robert
9/3/2010 8:23:27 PM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Performance Tuning [Inserts] in tempdb
I have a Web Based Application that the DBA is "engouraging" me to switch for ASE12.5 to ASA9. I have made many changes in my queries and driver setup. The App allows me login and submit my queries but they only rarely come to completion. In ASE12.5 they take about 3 minutes and ASA9 they are taking about 44 minutes (this is rediculous). Let me model out our basic submission: 1) generate a query using Velocity template macros 1a) The query will create a temp table #period 1b) populate #period with appropriate data 1c) create a #Utilization temp table 1...

ASE 15 Performance and Tuning Guides
Greetings, Does anyone know when the updated ASE 15 versions of "Performance and Tuning Guides" will be released? The guides on sybooks are for ASE12.5.1 Thanks in advance. Alberto > Greetings, > > Does anyone know when the updated ASE 15 versions of > "Performance and Tuning Guides" will be released? I *think* that they were supposed to be released sometime later this year, but I don't have any clear information. Michael I'm not aware of when these will be released. I'm guessing some time after the 15.0.2 release. Ho...

Check List for ASE 11.9.2 Performance Tuning
Dear all, We need to troubleshoot the performance issue in an ASE 11.9.2 server. During the system in a slow response time state, about 20 Sh_page locks (Non Cursor Lock) found on the syslogins when I execute the sp_lock. Can anyone give me some advise on which areas I should check first (may be a check list) ? Cheers, Jack You might want to read through the Performance & Tuning guide for things like query performance management with things like sp_showplan and sp_sysmon. What you could consider is this. Any running task may be running with a bad query plan. Her...

ASE 15.0.2 Row-level locking for DDL / tempdb performance
Hello, I was trying to compare the tempdb performance between 12.5.3 and 15.0.2 by simulating heavy DDL / transaction activity in tempdb. Basically, I ran the below loop in 16 parallel sessions in tempdb. [n] represents 1 to 16, sourcedb has tables objects1 to objects16. Session1 will use sourcedb..objects1 / #objects1, Session2 will use sourcedb..objects2 / #objects2 etc., declare @cnt int while(1 = 1) begin select * into #objects[n] from sourcedb..objects[n] insert into #objects[n] select * from sourcedb..objects[n] create index obj[n]_idx on #objects[n](id) delete fr...

ASE to ASE

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

ASE Performance
Dear all, I'm using ASE 11.9. Does anyone know which is the most efficient whay to speed up the ASE server ? I have a stored procedure carries out following things using a CURSOR: - Read record from table_a - Do some data manipulation to the record read - Insert record to table_b if record is not exist in table_b - Update record to table_b if record is exist in table_b table_a contains around 40,000 records and table_b contains around 300,000 records. Originally, my coding in the stored procedure is as follow: SELECT .... FROM table_b WHERE ... IF @@rowcount > 0 ...

ASE performance
Hi there, ask a rather beginner question here. we have this ASE12.0 on Solaris 7. it's a enterprise 3000 machine, with 1G RAM, 2 CPUs both 168MHz. via /etc/system assigned 800M to ASE. All other settings in the configure file are mostly DEFAULT. we donot have many concurrent users on system most of the time, and the workload/ transaction is not very high. (most time, just 50 to 60 users online). however, lately users complains performance problem. esp just only one user was running a little big large report. and when I check sp_lock, actually very few locks, and just some shared...

tempdb performance
It's my understanding tempdb performs better on file system than on raws. Is this still the case? What unix parameters need to be set on the files system? Should 'allow sql server async i/o' bet set to 1, or does this only pertain to raws? Running ASE 12.0.0.6 EBF 10391 64bit on HP/UX 11.0. ...

How to tune my ASE???
I setup 2 ASE servers (same hw) in other sites, but one of ASE is runnig so slow. Users take more than 5 minutes to load a report while other users take less than 5 seconds to load same report on another "fast" ASE. Why? Attached my sysmon report, pls comments on this server and advise solutions. Thanks. begin 666 run_sysmon_log.050527 M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T] M/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/3T]/2 *(" @(" @4WEB M87-E($%D87!T:79E(%-E<G9E<B!%;G1E<G!R:7-E(%-Y<W1E;2!097)F;W)M M86YC92!297!O<G0*/3T]/3T]/3T]...

ASE and ASE

Performance tuning
Hi, We are using Jconnect 6.0.5 (latest EBF). We found that 'select db_name' was getting called before each and every sql update/insert. We are not sure why it is doing this. We need to prevent this unnecessary db call. Does any one have any idea Thanks Lachu Hi Lachu, This sounds like some JDBC Call might be happening in your application - offheand I don't know exactly what, but something like Connection.getCatalog() I don't think jConnect caches this sort of thing - so it might be the application code makes the call for each command execution. If yo...

ASE performance
Hi, I'm new to Sybase, so excuse me if this is a stupid question, and I guess I might not supply enough information to make an informed judgement ... We've got ASE 12.0 running on a Sun Sparc server with 2 x 450Mhz processsors and 2 gig RAM + RAID. We run a script which updates a join table - i.e. a table with two integer columns with keys in them. The sql script inserts a total of 1.8 million rows into the table and the entire operation takes around 18 minutes to complete. Does this sound like reasonable performance - it feels slow to me, but I don't have any comp...

Performance tuning
Is there a way to create and analyze some kind of trace files with SQL Anywhere 5.5? I have a program that issues "generated" SQL statements. I'd like to quickly look for those that create full table scans in any of the used tables to see if I can optimize data access. TIA Peter Peter Hiemenz Hilden, near Duesseldorf Germany I wrote something like this a couple months back. It interrogates the trace file that PowerBuilder produces. It's rather proprietary since it's one of the tools that I use when I do Performance & Tuning cons...

Web resources about - tempdb/lazy writes/HK - sybase.ase.performance+tuning

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft . As a database, it is a software product whose primary ...

SQL中的图树层次结构_开发/数据库_IT专家网 开发/数据库
数据库子站,提供数据库管理软件优质技术信息的领先在线资源,是数据库管理员、开发人员和负责决策制定的 IT 经理人至关重要的社区。我们提供具有特色的、全面的内容,包括专家答疑、讨论论坛、白皮书、原创的行业新闻、评论分析以及技术技巧等。还有众多国内外数据库专家定期为我们的网友在线答疑,让我们的沟通学习更为方便。 ...

An Interview With Ken Henderson About The Forthcoming Book SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting ...
I am a big fan of Ken Henderson’s books, I believe that every SQL Server developer should have a copy of his books. When I noticed on Amazon.com ...

Frequently Asked Questions About TempDB
The questions came fast and furious in one of my recent TempDB webcasts, so here’s the ones I wasn’t able to answer during the live session: ...

Controlling Transactions and Locks Part 4 : SQL 2005 Snapshot
The first three installments of this series applied to both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. Part 4 introduces Snapshots, new in MSSQL 2005.

Tricks to speed up your AWS EC2 Windows server I/O
Tricks to speed up your AWS EC2 Windows server I/O - Sunday, January 17, 2016 - Founder's blog

How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server
Describes how to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server. Provides step-by-step information about the method.

Microsoft Press
MICROSOFT PRESS publishes on Microsoft tools & technologies, plus programming best practices. Our blog offers book info, links to ebooks, & other ...

In-memory OLTP Engine (Hekaton) in SQL Server 2014 CTP2
Today I am going to discuss the new SQL Server 2014 feature In-memory OLTP a.k.a. Hekaton a Greek word which means hundred or hundredfold. In-memory ...