performance monitoring after storage change

Hi,

After DataCentre relocation, we have moved for HP XP Storage to HP EVA
Storage.

Which section in sp_symon which can help me compare I/O performance before
and after

I see it as follows in both servers

  Max Outstanding I/Os            per sec      per xact       count  % of
total
  -------------------------  ------------  ------------  ----------  ----------
    Server                            n/a           n/a         256
n/a
    Engine 0                          n/a           n/a         256
n/a
    Engine 1                          n/a           n/a         256
n/a
    Engine 2                          n/a           n/a         256
n/a

Is this a high value?

regards
Venki

0
Venkitachalam
12/9/2010 1:26:33 PM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> Hi,
>
> After DataCentre relocation, we have moved for HP XP
> Storage to HP EVA  Storage.
>
> Which section in sp_symon which can help me compare I/O
> performance before  and after
>
> I see it as follows in both servers
>

>   Max Outstanding I/Os            per sec      per xact
>    count  % of  total
>   -------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------  ----------
>     Server                            n/a           n/a
>      256  n/a
>     Engine 0                          n/a           n/a
>      256  n/a
>     Engine 1                          n/a           n/a
>      256  n/a
>     Engine 2                          n/a           n/a
>      256  n/a
>

> Is this a high value?
>
> regards
> Venki

Hard to say if that's high or not without additional
information. What was the duration of the sp_sysmon run?

Also, you might want to try iostat -xtcn at the o/s level
... that is a very good way to monitor i/o on the devices.

Michael M.
0
Michael
12/9/2010 5:40:35 PM
> > Hi,
> >
> > After DataCentre relocation, we have moved for HP XP
> > Storage to HP EVA  Storage.
> >
> > Which section in sp_symon which can help me compare I/O
> > performance before  and after
> >
> > I see it as follows in both servers
> >

> >   Max Outstanding I/Os            per sec      per xact
> >    count  % of  total
> >   -------------------------  ------------  ------------
> > ----------  ----------
> >     Server                            n/a           n/a
> >      256  n/a
> >     Engine 0                          n/a           n/a
> >      256  n/a
> >     Engine 1                          n/a           n/a
> >      256  n/a
> >     Engine 2                          n/a           n/a
> >      256  n/a
> >

> > Is this a high value?
> >
> > regards
> > Venki
> >

> Hard to say if that's high or not without additional
> information. What was the duration of the sp_sysmon run?
>
> Also, you might want to try iostat -xtcn at the o/s level
> .. that is a very good way to monitor i/o on the devices.
>
> Michael M.

jobless thoughts - if you are trying to compare/verify the
storage then try to eliminate the ASE data chache
involment(focus on physical i/o rather than logical i/o).
Test at OS level would help sar -u or iostat. Other test
would be to verify the bcp-in timing(it gives a nice summary
at the end); Load DB timings. Try concurrency test to see if
the new storage is creating bottleneck (i had found this
during one of the upgrades... but the issue was more with
the veritas not SAN - google cio)
0
jobless
12/9/2010 6:26:17 PM
If by IO performance you're referring to disk service times, sp_sysmon really isn't the right tool for monitoring IO
performance.

 From within ASE I'd suggest looking at the MDA tables: master..monDeviceIO and master..monIOQueue.

Outside of ASE you can use your favorite OS tool (eg, iostat as already suggested).

----------------

As for your sp_sysmon snippet ...

I'm assuming you haven't made any changes to the default settings for 'max async i/os per [engine|server]' and.or 'disk
i/o structures'.  (256 is the default setting for 'disk i/o structures'.)

I prefer to look at this sp_sysmon reading as such ...

If the count (256 in your case) is hitting up against the 'disk i/o structures' or 'max async i/os' settings, this is
telling me that you're limiting the volume of IOs the dataserver can send to the OS at any one time.

I prefer to reconfigure the dataserver to allow as many IOs as possible.  Instead of introducing an arbitrary bottleneck
at the dataserver level, go ahead and dump as many IOs as possible to the OS and let the disk subsystem determine the IO
limits.

FWIW, I've been able to configure some dataservers to push upwards of 10K-15K outstanding IOs per dataserver engine;
depends on the OS and disk subsystem.

Venkitachalam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After DataCentre relocation, we have moved for HP XP Storage to HP EVA
> Storage.
>
> Which section in sp_symon which can help me compare I/O performance before
> and after
>
> I see it as follows in both servers
>

>   Max Outstanding I/Os            per sec      per xact       count  % of
> total
>   -------------------------  ------------  ------------  ----------  ----------
>     Server                            n/a           n/a         256
> n/a
>     Engine 0                          n/a           n/a         256
> n/a
>     Engine 1                          n/a           n/a         256
> n/a
>     Engine 2                          n/a           n/a         256
> n/a
>

> Is this a high value?
>
> regards
> Venki

0
Mark

Performance monitor and performance counters
I'm trying to figure out why performance counters won't work on my machine. We've got 2 windows 2003 servers, and if I try to access ANY of the performance counter related objects in the System.Diagnostic namespace I get this: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program. at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.AllocHGlobal(IntPtr cb) at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceMonitor.GetData(String item) Of course the call stack is actually larger than that, but the point is right here. The same code works fine on any of our XP or 2000 Pro boxes. Anyone know wha...

Performance Monitor vs performance
Hello, does Sybase Central Performance Monitor affect performance? We've had a problem, the db server was reacting very slow denying almost all of the work of around 100 concurrent users, with throwing all of them out as more users came in. The only major change done was that the Sybase Performance monitor was left to be run overnight, with the following statistics: Packets Sent Packets Received Requests Threads Unscheduled Requests I understand that SC PM queries the server, but could this have a major impact on overall performance? Thanks, Pavel IMO the ...

Establishing a performance baseline re performance Monitors
OK I'm new to this. But I am administering a newly created network of <100 systems using ASA 7.0.2 I would like to set up some monitors to know what the "typical load" during a week is. Which monitors are the most important? Should I use the monitors in the W2K instead? -- Posted via http://dbforums.com ...

Performance Monitor Snap-in
I am trying to monitor our ASP.NET web application, running on Windows Server 2003 & IIS 6. When I open the Performance Snap-In, I am unable to select the standard Performance objects I see in Windows 2000 server - namely ASP.NET, ASP.NET Applications, ASP.NET Apps v1.1.4322 and ASP.NET v1.1.4322 Can somebody tell me what's happening? Am I missing something? Thanks...

Documentation on performance monitoring and tuning
In a future release of ASA, it would be nice to have a much more indepth discussion about performance tuning. As the ASA product has become more sophisticated, the need to be able to tune the db has become much greater. More discussion is needed in areas of what are "norms" and things that can be done to help improve overall performance. Michael Gould -- _________________________________________ Michael Gould ICQ#: 3772174 More ways to contact me: http://wwp.icq.com/3772174 _________________________________________ It seems to me that the increased sophistic...

ASE 15 Performance and Tuning Guides
Greetings, Does anyone know when the updated ASE 15 versions of "Performance and Tuning Guides" will be released? The guides on sybooks are for ASE12.5.1 Thanks in advance. Alberto > Greetings, > > Does anyone know when the updated ASE 15 versions of > "Performance and Tuning Guides" will be released? I *think* that they were supposed to be released sometime later this year, but I don't have any clear information. Michael I'm not aware of when these will be released. I'm guessing some time after the 15.0.2 release. Ho...

Performance Monitor
What tools are availble with ASA 7 (WinNT) for performance monitoring. We have a system that is getting pegged to 100% CPU utilization, and we're guessing right now it's an adhoc query. Is there a way to see who is doing what on the system at any given time? ASA 8 has a feature which allows you to do this; in ASA 7 it's a bit more cumbersome. In ASA 8, you must first enable capturing of the last statement prepared by each connection by specifying the -zl server command line option or by calling: call sa_server_option('Remember_last_statement','ON&#...

performance monitoring
We have moved our database from a slower machine to a faster dual PIII-1Ghz machine and are trying to do some performance tuning. The application is being accessed via Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0 SP1. There are a few times per day when the application seems to really slow down. What we'd like to do is monitor the backend to see if it is a problem with one of our stored procedures or triggers or to see if there is a long running process which could be affecting this. We've already been able to take Citrix out of the mix as it is performaning as it should. Does anyone have any r...

Performance tuning
Is there a way to create and analyze some kind of trace files with SQL Anywhere 5.5? I have a program that issues "generated" SQL statements. I'd like to quickly look for those that create full table scans in any of the used tables to see if I can optimize data access. TIA Peter Peter Hiemenz Hilden, near Duesseldorf Germany I wrote something like this a couple months back. It interrogates the trace file that PowerBuilder produces. It's rather proprietary since it's one of the tools that I use when I do Performance & Tuning cons...

Performance Monitoring
I need an off the shelf simply product that allows me to  do basic performance monitoring of my website and database.  I realize I can setup up performance counters but I would like a simple product that will do that for me.  I am especially interested in SQL Server / ADO.NET monitoring -- memory use, number of connections  open, etc.  Suggestions? Jay I am looking for the same thing, so I am going to attach myself to this thread. Thanks.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point an...

ASE performance
Hi there, ask a rather beginner question here. we have this ASE12.0 on Solaris 7. it's a enterprise 3000 machine, with 1G RAM, 2 CPUs both 168MHz. via /etc/system assigned 800M to ASE. All other settings in the configure file are mostly DEFAULT. we donot have many concurrent users on system most of the time, and the workload/ transaction is not very high. (most time, just 50 to 60 users online). however, lately users complains performance problem. esp just only one user was running a little big large report. and when I check sp_lock, actually very few locks, and just some shared...

Performance Monitor Again
PLEASE HELP!!! We have a C++ application that uses Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0 as the back end. We have enabled performance monitor so that we can analyze some of options available to us for SQL Anywhere 5.0. There are many options like active requests, bytes receive etc. What we are trying to gain from this analysis is confirmation that the database server is sufficient and that we are not overloading/overworking the database server. Can someone please advise me as to some useful measurements, as well as a normal/abnormal range for those measurements? We have 65 workstations all mak...

Performance Tools
Dear All, I am having difficulty that after I complete a project and run the performance tool, by looking at the report, I do not know whether it's performing well, as there is no benchmark for me to refer to. Is there any guide that how to consider the performance is not up to the satisfactory level? Or is there any benchmark that how many bytes of allocated memory is considered unacceptable that we need to look into? Regards,Shelyn...

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

Web resources about - performance monitoring after storage change - sybase.ase.performance+tuning

Men, sex and performance anxiety
Sex occupies the minds of young men in more ways than the obvious.

Apple updates Logic Pro X & MainStage 3 Mac apps with performance improvements, new features
... is now at version 3.2.3 thanks to its most recent update. Both apps have received a handful of new features, under-the-hood changes, and performance ...

Electric vehicle puts in solid performance in the world’s toughest rally
... but remote and arduous terrain. And this year an electric vehicle called the Acciona 100% EcoPowered put in an extremely credible performance. ...

BMW i8: Jaw-dropping style and green performance, but why?
... drives the BMW i8 for a week and starts to wonder why the Germans built this EV. Continue reading BMW i8: Jaw-dropping style and green performance, ...

"I agree that Sylvester Stallone gave a hearty, worldly-wise performance as the aged Rocky Balboa..." ...
"... and thought that he’d be one of the few intersections between my own year-end picks and the nominations. But the Academy’s choice of no ...

WaPo: Trump/Cruz Commanding Performances in Debate Make It a Two-Horse Race
WaPo: Trump/Cruz Commanding Performances in Debate Make It a Two-Horse Race

Here's the story behind the incredible performance by three young children at a Donald Trump rally
USA Freedom Kids opened for Donald Trump at his Florida rally on January 13, 2016. The children performed an original song by director and Trump ...

Suicide Squad: Jared Leto's Ambitious Joker Performance Teased - Collider
Directors David Ayer and Zack Snyder tease the dramatic lengths Jared Leto took for his ambitious performance as The Joker in DC's Suicide Squad. ...

Google to boost compression performance in Chrome 49
Google yesterday announced that a new in-house compression algorithm, dubbed "Brotli," will soon be added to Chrome to speed up page loading ...