Open Client & network packet size

How can I force Open Client library to use 'default network packet size'

All utilities (like isql and most of all ssremote.exe) use packet size of
512 regardless of
setting 'default network packet size' to 2048.

I see very big performance impact in ODBC connection - changing packet size
from 512 to 2048 gives more than 5 times improvement. I hope to see similar
improvement in ssremote.

TIA

Andrzej Wilkoszewski
NET Soft

0
Andrzej
5/8/2002 9:20:19 AM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Andrzej Wiloszewski wrote:

> How can I force Open Client library to use 'default network packet size'
>
> All utilities (like isql and most of all ssremote.exe) use packet size of
> 512 regardless of setting 'default network packet size' to 2048.

	The client doesn't know the server's setting. 512 is always
	available. If you have changed the size on the server, you'd
	need to change the clients to match it. Open Client has
	functions that allow you to do this.

> I see very big performance impact in ODBC connection - changing packet size
> from 512 to 2048 gives more than 5 times improvement. I hope to see similar
> improvement in ssremote.

	I'm not sure how you would do it in ODBC. Note that using the
	native client libraries would be faster than using ODBC on top
	of them.

-am	� 2002
0
Anthony
5/8/2002 10:59:27 AM
Here is a VB example of a connect string:
    strConnect = _
        "DRIVER={Sybase ASE ODBC Driver};" & _
        "SRVR=" & mstrServerName & ";" & _
        "DB=" & mstrDatabaseName & ";" & _
        "UID=" & mstrLoginId & ";" & _
        "PWD=" & mstrPassword & ";" & _
        "APP=qry processor sv;" & _
        "PacketSize=" & mintPacketSize & ";"

    Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
    With cn
        .CommandTimeout = 0
        .ConnectionTimeout = 0
        .CursorLocation = adUseClient
        .Open strConnect
    End With

Just set mintPacketSize to 2048. For  isql nad bcp use -A2048. BTW how did
you measure the 5 times improvement? Also what is your TCP frame size?
LV
"Andrzej Wiloszewski" <andrzej@solid.pl> wrote in message
> How can I force Open Client library to use 'default network packet size'
>
> All utilities (like isql and most of all ssremote.exe) use packet size of
> 512 regardless of
> setting 'default network packet size' to 2048.
>
> I see very big performance impact in ODBC connection - changing packet
size
> from 512 to 2048 gives more than 5 times improvement. I hope to see
similar
> improvement in ssremote.
>
> TIA
>
> Andrzej Wilkoszewski
> NET Soft

0
Lubo
5/8/2002 12:23:10 PM
andrzej@solid.pl wrote...
> How can I force Open Client library to use 'default network packet size'
>
> All utilities (like isql and most of all ssremote.exe) use packet size of
> 512 regardless of
> setting 'default network packet size' to 2048.
>
> I see very big performance impact in ODBC connection - changing packet size
> from 512 to 2048 gives more than 5 times improvement. I hope to see similar
> improvement in ssremote.

You can't force this from the server side.  In ODBC you can set the packet size to -1 in
the DSN an it will then use the largest packet size supported by the server.  I believe it
checks this at the next connection and then sets the value.  So if you later increase the
packet size on the server it will not be reflected on the ODBC DSN.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant

Andrzej Wiloszewski wrote:

> How can I force Open Client library to use 'default network packet size'
>
> All utilities (like isql and most of all ssremote.exe) use packet size of
> 512 regardless of
> setting 'default network packet size' to 2048.
>
> I see very big performance impact in ODBC connection - changing packet size
> from 512 to 2048 gives more than 5 times improvement. I hope to see similar
> improvement in ssremote.

The "default network packet size" (a bad name for this configuration
setting) has nothing to do with the client's default packet size.  In
ASE, this setting controls how much memory (from the "total_memory"
setting) to set aside for each "user connection" configured.  It is
still up to the client application to ask for larger packet sizes than
the default of 512.

In a true Open-Client application, you can set the default setting in a
configuration file that you can code the application to use for default
connection properties like this.

There is ONE rather nasty trick to force a client to always get the
"default network packet size" setting.  On the ASE side, configure the
"max network packet size" (mnps) to something larger than the "default
network packet size" (dnps).  Then, set the "additional network memory
size" to zero (0).  This implies then, that every client which requests
mnps packets, will always be bumped down to dnps.  Then the trick is to
hard-code all of the client apps to request mnps.  Assuming they do,
they will succeed in connecting, but will have dnps as their packet size setting.
--------------A071737327730590078F0121

begin:vcard
n:Sherlock;Kevin
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://qwestdex.com
org:Qwest DEX;Information Managment
adr:;;;Omaha;NE;68114;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:ksherlo_AT_qwest.com
title:Staff Information Systems Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Kevin Sherlock
end:vcard

--------------A071737327730590078F0121--

0
Sherlock
5/8/2002 7:38:29 PM
"Lubo Vitkov" <vitkov@optonline.net> wrote in message

> BTW how did
> you measure the 5 times improvement? Also what is your TCP frame size?
> LV

I was very optiomistic about this 5 times - actually its 15 times.

I wrote the simplest test program:

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
 SYSTEMTIME st, est;
 ret = SQLExecDirect( stmt, (SQLCHAR *)"SELECT * FROM GM.INDEKS_W",
SQL_NTS );
 GetLocalTime( &st );
 for( i = 0 ; i < 7 ; i++ )
 {
  ret = SQLBindCol( stmt, i+1, SQL_CHAR, buf[ i ], 80, tab + i );
 }
 int cnt = 0;
 while( SQLFetch( stmt ) == SQL_SUCCESS )
 {
  ++cnt;
 }
 GetLocalTime( &est );
 int sum = ( est.wMinute * 60 + est.wSecond ) - ( st.wMinute * 60 +
st.wSecond );
 printf( "%d records in %d seconds\n", cnt, sum );
}

I ran it on ASE 12.5 as the only user - whole table was already in cache (I
ran it several times).

When I had in ODBC packet size set to '1' (512 b) I got results:
42683 records in 146 seconds
42683 records in 147 seconds

After changing only packet size '4' (2048 b) I got:
42683 records in 9 seconds
42683 records in 8 seconds

I'm connected to ASE via 100Mbit LAN (ethernet)

Andrzej Wilkoszewski
NET Soft S.A.

0
Andrzej

open client & php & ASE
I have a problem when using php to connect ASE via OpenClient. But I dont which newsgroup that would be appropriate for me to post this message. Anyway, I did, sorry for any inconvenience caused. I configured a machine with php, pws and open client. Then the php scripting engine seems working fine. And then I created a file named "sybase.php" to test the connection between the php, open client and ASE. However, the return shows that there is something wrong with the ASE. Afterward, I searched the manuals.sybase.com almost entirely for an answer about the error message. But...

PowerDynamo & Jaguar & MASP & Open Client
Helllppp!!! I am trying to access a Jaguar component from an HTML page. My understanding is that I need to first configure an Open Client ODBC system DSN get PowerDynamo talking to Jaguar (MASP). I added e:\sybase\shared\open client\bin and ..\dll to the server's system path variable. I created a SYBASE environment variable for e:\sybase\shared\open client I created e:\sybase\shared\open client\ini\ini.sql file as [Jaguar] master=NLWNSCK,localhost,7878 query=NLWNSCK,localhost,7878 I verified that the Jaguar TDS listener is on port 7878, localhost. I used a DOS prompt to te...

[URGENT] srvbuildres: Open Client message: 'ct_results(): network packet
Any Gurus out there to let me know how to sort this thing out ? What could be the error messages related to the ct_<function> ? It's running on Solari 2.6 and an Ultra 10. This also occurs systematically after each re-installation of Solaris and the ASE 11.9.2... Running 'srvbuildres' and creating the sybase server.../opt/sybase/bin/srvbuildres: Port number '1025' is being reserved or currently in use by a running server. /opt/sybase/bin/srvbuildres: Building Adaptive Server 'DATABASE': /opt/sybase/bin/srvbuildres: Building master device... /...

PB6.0/Open Client 11.1.1/Increasing Packet Size
I am trying to increase the Packet Size PowerBuilder requests from the Sybase Adaptive Server. I can request a larger Packet Size from other clients such as MSACCESS using ODBC, DBArtisan and isql but PowerBuilder does not seem to accept the DBParm I set up. Here is what I have put in the code per the documentation but it does not work. SQLCA.dbParm = "PacketSize = 1024" Thanks, Wayne Laudenslager ...

Open Client & Windows 2000 & RAS (breaks)...
I'm having lots of problems using Open Client on Windows 2000 when connected to servers across RAS & VPN connections. I get disconnected repeatedly (and it isn't the line quality, all other activity works very reliably). Has this been experienced by others? Is there a fix available? btw... I'm an experienced Sybase & MS SQL Server developer so it isn't a newbie setup problem <smile> Thanks Henrik Bruun henrik.bruun@optemize.com I'm having lots of problems using Open Client on Windows 2000 when connected to servers across RAS & ...

Open Client & Windows 2000 & RAS (breaks)...
I'm having lots of problems using Open Client on Windows 2000 when connected to servers across RAS & VPN connections. I get disconnected repeatedly (and it isn't the line quality, all other activity works very reliably). Has this been experienced by others? Is there a fix available? btw... I'm an experienced Sybase & MS SQL Server developer so it isn't a newbie setup problem <smile> Thanks Henrik Bruun henrik.bruun@optemize.com Henrik Bruun wrote: > > I'm having lots of problems using Open Client on Windows 2000 > w...

How spyware & adware programs threaten network security & performance
This article will focus on the applications that are installed on your network and home computers, which many security professionals and organizations do not know exist. These applications run in a discrete background operation and function as a spy reporting on user activity and habits that are recorded in day to day use of the computer system. http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Spyware_Adware_Programs.html -- Regard: Joh@nnes � "If U know neither the enemy nor yourself,U will succumb in every battle" ...

I want to open a pdf which is exists in the client system or client network from my web application.
Hi, I have a requirement, i want to open a pdf file which is exists in the client place from my web application..i tried this by using anchor tag, but it is not working fine..<a href="c:\one.pdf" target="_blank">Opening PDF File</a>it is not working fine..if i write this code in .html file then it is opening file, if i write the code in .aspx file then it is not opening fine..this is a urgent requirement to me.. kindly help me in this.. regards,Raju   you cant.... the clients files/filesystem aren't accessible.You can TRY to use a fil...

Open Client and ASE
ASE 11.9.2.4 (ESD 4 - SWR 9582) AIX 4.3.3 (IBM RS/6000) What files, if any, does ASE load as dynamic libraries from $LIBPATH (the AIX shared library path, same as $LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Solaris) on startup in order to be able to communicate with Open Client applications? Kind regards. In article <BBEFF7FEE94BF9F50039174385256A86.0039175085256A86@webforums>, "Darren" <unknown@spammesenseless.net> wrote: > ASE 11.9.2.4 (ESD 4 - SWR 9582) AIX 4.3.3 (IBM RS/6000) > > What files, if any, does ASE load as dynamic libraries from $LIBPATH > (the AIX s...

Network packets sizing
Each process waiting for network to send data, longer than it should. Typically, each process is waiting 1-3minutes before it is able to send the data. Default packet size is 1024, on average the size being sent and received are less the 512. How can I get the server to utilize larger packet sizes?? The server uses as much of a packet as is necessary. The size necessary depends on the type of processing that is used on the server and client. Since your packets sizes are less than 512 then I would lower the packet size, not raise it. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Senior Co...

Network Packet Size
How would you make it so that Sybase Central, or any other ODBC connection, connects using a different packet size other than 512, the default. 512 is our default, but our maximum is 4096. I know how to change the packet size through isql by adding the -A parameter, but not sure how to do this through other ODBC connections. We also do not want to change the default size as some of our applications need that size. Thanks From the ODBC Administrator (Performance tab) you can change the packet size, but I am not sure if Central works with ODBC, I think it works using the nativ...

Performance & Tuning
select * from t1 a, t2 b where a.Branch+a.Account>=b.AccountFrom and a.Branch+a.Account<=b.AccountTo Above query is taking one second in ASE and the same query is taking 4 minutes in IQ(I tried between that is also taking same time). How can we optimize this query in IQ? In fact this is real life. At the beginning a database design that "is grown" and at the end the performance is gone. To optimise this it's necessary to have information about tables sizes, data distribution, datatypes and existing indexes. You should check your query plans to find the ...

Performance & Tuning
Environment: Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0.3., 1.0 GB database compressed. Looking ways to increase the performance: Is it will increase the performance to have indexes on promary key? Any other tips will be higly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Hi, I would strongly recommand to change to version 7. There you can change the max hash size for indexes and temporary table indexes. Until version 6 we store only up to about 10 characters in the btree of the index the rest of the key must be compared by reading the tables pages. Cheers, Hartmut Branz Sybase Product ...

Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server & Adaptive Server Enterprise
*Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server, (10.x - 12.0) Adaptive Server Enterprise and SQL Server This document shows the interoperability of Open Client 11.1.1 and 12.0 with Open Server 10.0.4, 11.1.1 and 12.0, Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5.x, 11.9.x and 12.0, and SQL Server 11.0.3. (Oct 17 2001) http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013031 *Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server (11.x - 12.x) and Adaptive Server Enterprise This document shows the interoperability of Open Client versions 11.1.1, 12.0 and 12.5 with Open Server versions 11.1.1, 1...

Web resources about - Open Client & network packet size - sybase.ase.performance+tuning

Network Computing
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

Cartoon Network (Russia and Southeastern Europe) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cartoon Network Russia and Southeastern Europe is a Russian/Bulgarian channel, which started on October 1, 2009. It replaced the Pan-European ...

Alleged Newcastle paedophile network to be exposed by royal commission
Details have emerged about a web of alleged child sexual abuse gripping the Newcastle Anglican diocese.

ROEV lets you use multiple charging networks with one account
... , Electric Blink, ChargePoint, and EVgo are partnering up with ROEV, a new association that will let you use charging stations on any network ...

Tricks for building a Wi-Fi network that covers your entire house
... be one of the most annoying pieces of technology in your home if not set up correctly. There are some ways a poorly configured wireless network ...

The long arm of the network executive suite
The long arm of the network executive suite by digby They're doing it again: CNN global affairs correspondent Elise Labott has been suspended ...

China breaks up $64 billion underground banking network
CNNMoney China breaks up $64 billion underground banking network Centre Daily Times The People's Daily newspaper said more than 370 people ...

IDG Contributor Network: Why do we visualize data?
Why do we visualize data? Do data visualizations aim to inform audiences effectively? Or do they simply aim to catch people’s eye, providing ...

Fox Networks Forms JV With Tony Sella To Develop Promos And Ad Integrations
Fox Networks Group ’s new joint venture with former 20th Century Fox Film Chief Creative Officer Tony Sella will, as the partners put it, “develop ...

Sprint Hopes to Impress by Renaming Network Upgrades 'LTE Plus' -
... technology (read, faster, more reliable speeds) in 77 "major" markets, and has re-branded the effort as the company's "LTE Plus" network, according ...