Context switches due to "Network Services"

Can someone throw some light on this?

The P&T manual (15.5 - it is not in the older manuals) have
this to say:
"Network Services
Measures the number of context switches that are caused by
sleeping on network operations (other than the send and
receive operations)."

Task Management                   per sec      per xact
 count  % of total
---------------------------  ------------  ------------
----------  ----------

  Connections Opened                  1.7           0.0
   508       n/a

  Task Context Switches by Engine
    Engine 0                        106.2           0.6
 31850       0.6 %
    Engine 1                        132.8           0.7
 39852       0.7 %
    Engine 2                        146.0           0.8
 43787       0.8 %
    Engine 3                         81.7           0.4
 24495       0.4 %
    Engine 4                      17626.7          94.1
5288022      96.9 %
    Engine 5                         95.3           0.5
 28591       0.5 %
  -------------------------  ------------  ------------
----------
    Total Task Switches:          18188.7          97.1
5456597

  Task Context Switches Due To:
    Voluntary Yields                 26.5           0.1
  7943       0.1 %
    Cache Search Misses               0.2           0.0
    49       0.0 %
    Exceeding I/O batch size          0.0           0.0
     0       0.0 %
    System Disk Writes                2.4           0.0
   725       0.0 %
    Logical Lock Contention           0.4           0.0
   114       0.0 %
    Address Lock Contention           0.0           0.0
     3       0.0 %
    Latch Contention                  8.3           0.0
  2485       0.0 %
    Log Semaphore Contention          1.3           0.0
   381       0.0 %
    PLC Lock Contention               0.0           0.0
    10       0.0 %
    Group Commit Sleeps               0.2           0.0
    57       0.0 %
    Last Log Page Writes             12.7           0.1
  3802       0.1 %
    Modify Conflicts                  1.1           0.0
   316       0.0 %
    I/O Device Contention             0.0           0.0
     0       0.0 %
    Network Packet Received         193.2           1.0
 57956       1.1 %
    Network Packet Sent             120.7           0.6
 36221       0.7 %
    Network services              17818.6          95.2
5345588      98.0 %
    Other Causes                      3.2           0.0
   947       0.0 %

  Tuning Recommendations for Task Management
  - Consider tuning the 'i/o batch size' configuration
parameter parameter
	   A value of 100 is generally optimal. Also verify the I/O
response times if the 'i/o batch size' tuning does not help

syb_user
1/10/2011 11:33:29 PM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Do you have CIS/proxy tables?

--
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
"syb_user" wrote in message news:4d2b9749.3ea1.1681692777@sybase.com...
> [...]
> receive operations)."

> Task Management                   per sec      per xact
> count  % of total
> ---------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------  ----------
>
>  Connections Opened                  1.7           0.0
>   508       n/a
>
>  Task Context Switches by Engine
>    Engine 0                        106.2           0.6
> 31850       0.6 %
>    Engine 1                        132.8           0.7
> 39852       0.7 %
>    Engine 2                        146.0           0.8
> 43787       0.8 %
>    Engine 3                         81.7           0.4
> 24495       0.4 %
>    Engine 4                      17626.7          94.1
> 5288022      96.9 %
>    Engine 5                         95.3           0.5
> 28591       0.5 %
>  -------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------
>    Total Task Switches:          18188.7          97.1
> 5456597
>
>  Task Context Switches Due To:
>    Voluntary Yields                 26.5           0.1
>  7943       0.1 %
>    Cache Search Misses               0.2           0.0
>    49       0.0 %
>    Exceeding I/O batch size          0.0           0.0
>     0       0.0 %
>    System Disk Writes                2.4           0.0
>   725       0.0 %
>    Logical Lock Contention           0.4           0.0
>   114       0.0 %
>    Address Lock Contention           0.0           0.0
>     3       0.0 %
>    Latch Contention                  8.3           0.0
>  2485       0.0 %
>    Log Semaphore Contention          1.3           0.0
>   381       0.0 %
>    PLC Lock Contention               0.0           0.0
>    10       0.0 %
>    Group Commit Sleeps               0.2           0.0
>    57       0.0 %
>    Last Log Page Writes             12.7           0.1
>  3802       0.1 %
>    Modify Conflicts                  1.1           0.0
>   316       0.0 %
>    I/O Device Contention             0.0           0.0
>     0       0.0 %
>    Network Packet Received         193.2           1.0
> 57956       1.1 %
>    Network Packet Sent             120.7           0.6
> 36221       0.7 %
>    Network services              17818.6          95.2
> 5345588      98.0 %
>    Other Causes                      3.2           0.0
>   947       0.0 %
>
>  Tuning Recommendations for Task Management
>  ------------------------------------------
>  - Consider tuning the 'i/o batch size' configuration
> parameter parameter
>    A value of 100 is generally optimal. Also verify the I/O
> response times if the 'i/o batch size' tuning does not help

Cory
1/11/2011 2:11:41 PM
Nope - We don't have CIS and no proxy tables other than the
MDA tables.
0
syb_user
1/11/2011 4:09:27 PM
What ASE version here, and the sample interval?

On 1/10/2011 6:33 PM, syb_user wrote:
> [...]
> receive operations)."

> Task Management                   per sec      per xact
>   count  % of total
> ---------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------  ----------
>
>    Connections Opened                  1.7           0.0
>     508       n/a
>
>    Task Context Switches by Engine
>      Engine 0                        106.2           0.6
>   31850       0.6 %
>      Engine 1                        132.8           0.7
>   39852       0.7 %
>      Engine 2                        146.0           0.8
>   43787       0.8 %
>      Engine 3                         81.7           0.4
>   24495       0.4 %
>      Engine 4                      17626.7          94.1
> 5288022      96.9 %
>      Engine 5                         95.3           0.5
>   28591       0.5 %
>    -------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------
>      Total Task Switches:          18188.7          97.1
> 5456597
>
>    Task Context Switches Due To:
>      Voluntary Yields                 26.5           0.1
>    7943       0.1 %
>      Cache Search Misses               0.2           0.0
>      49       0.0 %
>      Exceeding I/O batch size          0.0           0.0
>       0       0.0 %
>      System Disk Writes                2.4           0.0
>     725       0.0 %
>      Logical Lock Contention           0.4           0.0
>     114       0.0 %
>      Address Lock Contention           0.0           0.0
>       3       0.0 %
>      Latch Contention                  8.3           0.0
>    2485       0.0 %
>      Log Semaphore Contention          1.3           0.0
>     381       0.0 %
>      PLC Lock Contention               0.0           0.0
>      10       0.0 %
>      Group Commit Sleeps               0.2           0.0
>      57       0.0 %
>      Last Log Page Writes             12.7           0.1
>    3802       0.1 %
>      Modify Conflicts                  1.1           0.0
>     316       0.0 %
>      I/O Device Contention             0.0           0.0
>       0       0.0 %
>      Network Packet Received         193.2           1.0
>   57956       1.1 %
>      Network Packet Sent             120.7           0.6
>   36221       0.7 %
>      Network services              17818.6          95.2
> 5345588      98.0 %
>      Other Causes                      3.2           0.0
>     947       0.0 %
>
>    Tuning Recommendations for Task Management
>    ------------------------------------------
>    - Consider tuning the 'i/o batch size' configuration
> parameter parameter
> 	   A value of 100 is generally optimal. Also verify the I/O
> response times if the 'i/o batch size' tuning does not help

IQRules
1/11/2011 11:53:52 PM
Version -- ASE 15.0.3 ESD#4 64-bit Linux
Interval -- 5 minutes with noclear (exec sp_sysmon
"00:05:00", noclear)
0
syb_user
1/12/2011 12:05:08 AM
Can be malfunction of Apache / Weblogic servers?

> [...]
> receive operations)."

> Task Management                   per sec      per xact
>   count  % of total
> ---------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------  ----------
>
>    Connections Opened                  1.7           0.0
>     508       n/a
>
>    Task Context Switches by Engine
>      Engine 0                        106.2           0.6
>   31850       0.6 %
>      Engine 1                        132.8           0.7
>   39852       0.7 %
>      Engine 2                        146.0           0.8
>   43787       0.8 %
>      Engine 3                         81.7           0.4
>   24495       0.4 %
>      Engine 4                      17626.7          94.1
> 5288022      96.9 %
>      Engine 5                         95.3           0.5
>   28591       0.5 %
>    -------------------------  ------------  ------------
> ----------
>      Total Task Switches:          18188.7          97.1
> 5456597
>
>    Task Context Switches Due To:
>      Voluntary Yields                 26.5           0.1
>    7943       0.1 %
>      Cache Search Misses               0.2           0.0
>      49       0.0 %
>      Exceeding I/O batch size          0.0           0.0
>       0       0.0 %
>      System Disk Writes                2.4           0.0
>     725       0.0 %
>      Logical Lock Contention           0.4           0.0
>     114       0.0 %
>      Address Lock Contention           0.0           0.0
>       3       0.0 %
>      Latch Contention                  8.3           0.0
>    2485       0.0 %
>      Log Semaphore Contention          1.3           0.0
>     381       0.0 %
>      PLC Lock Contention               0.0           0.0
>      10       0.0 %
>      Group Commit Sleeps               0.2           0.0
>      57       0.0 %
>      Last Log Page Writes             12.7           0.1
>    3802       0.1 %
>      Modify Conflicts                  1.1           0.0
>     316       0.0 %
>      I/O Device Contention             0.0           0.0
>       0       0.0 %
>      Network Packet Received         193.2           1.0
>   57956       1.1 %
>      Network Packet Sent             120.7           0.6
>   36221       0.7 %
>      Network services              17818.6          95.2
> 5345588      98.0 %
>      Other Causes                      3.2           0.0
>     947       0.0 %
>
>    Tuning Recommendations for Task Management
>    ------------------------------------------
>    - Consider tuning the 'i/o batch size' configuration
> parameter parameter
> 	   A value of 100 is generally optimal. Also verify the I/O
> response times if the 'i/o batch size' tuning does not help

Novell Client appears with "network services" or "system" in username
We are seeing this on XP machines with SP2 and without. The users are already logged into the network. You have to click Cancel 3 to 5 times. Anybody else had this problem? > We are seeing this on XP machines with SP2 and without. The users are > already logged into the network. You have to click Cancel 3 to 5 times. > Anybody else had this problem? yes, though I just changed "SYSTEM" to the client's user name and logged in. This happened literally a few minutes ago so I have not looked into the reasoning for it. my only other unusual variable wa...

Query performance of "=" vs "<" and ">"
Suppose you have a large table (>5 million records) containing 15 columns including a numerical string column called ACTIVITY_DATE which is indexed (nonunique, nonclustered) and a numerical string column called TIMESTAMP which is indexed (nonunique,nonclustered). ACTIVITY_DATE contains a date string ('20081211'); TIMESTAMP also appends a time ('20081211 19:18:03.34923'). Suppose you want to return all events that took place on December 11th and suppose you had to choose between the following queries: - select col1,col2,col3 from TABLE where ACTIVITY_DATE='2...

Query performance of "=" vs "<" and ">"
[This is a repost from ase.general] Suppose you have a large table (>5 million records) containing 15 columns including a numerical string column called ACTIVITY_DATE which is indexed (nonunique, nonclustered) and a numerical string column called TIMESTAMP which is indexed (nonunique,nonclustered). ACTIVITY_DATE contains a date string ('20081211'); TIMESTAMP also appends a time ('20081211 19:18:03.34923'). Suppose you want to return all events that took place on December 11th and suppose you had to choose between the following queries: - select col1,col2,col...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

Tasks: set "Due On" as default, rather than "Due In"
Is there a way to set the client to default to "due on" (end date) when creating a new task, rather than "due in" (duration)? -- naomi37 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ours does show "Due on" from the New Task button on the main screen. From where are you doing this? What client version? We are using System version 8.0.2 hp1 and client 8.0.2 hp2. Rick >>> naomi37<naomi37@no-mx.forums.novell.com> 6/21/11 2:36 PM >>> Is there a way to set the client to default to "due...

Please compare "web service" and "remote services"
Somebody, please tell me the different beetween "web services" and "remote services". So, "web services" and "remote services" which one is better? Please tell me This might provide some insight. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/dotnetremotearch.asp The really question at hand is what kind of project? Frank ...

What does the "-hwr+" and "-hwl-" switch do?
ZS-HWL is a Bell Textron helicopter licensed to Medical Rescue International in Auckland Park, South Africa... How about handed, horizontally offset BU 5300 HWL / HWR transmissions with ratio 3 : 1 using ZF Marine's "Antiflex" mounting system? No? That's not it? OK, where do you see these switches? Breck On Tue, 09 Jan 2001 11:55:58 +0100, Tomi Simunovic <tomi.simunovic@tancom.se> wrote: Breck, I am sure that this question is coming from Ian's answer a day or two ago on appropriate settings for use with Oracle ODBC drivers. Chris ...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

Script to perform a "Get latest", then a "Build", then a "Publish"
I frequently have to copy out of source safe, the latest version of some source code. Then perform a build and then a publish. The publish is published to a local directory where I then copy it out to a server. This is a bit of a hassle to have to do all of this mannualy. What I would prefer to do is to use some type of script that would do this. Does anyone know if this is possible? I can manage copying to the server. I just need a script that I could kick off to do the following. 1. Copy the latest source code for the project out of source safe. 2. Perform a build of the projec...

"Connection was dropped due to lack of network activity." error and repeating "SELECT progress FROM ml_subscription".
Few days ago our client has informed us about the rapid increase of number of replications which were cut off during upload. Some facts that may be usable: 1.About 1 month before that we had changed the client version of mobilink. As a consequence the our client started using -x port instead of -xo port. The version of mlsrv10.exe is 10.0.1.3831. 2.We have about 1500 rows in ml_subscription table. 3.Publication #1: OUR_PUBLICATION_NAME, subscription id: 2 consists of upload only. It seems that there are no problems with upload/download publications In mobilink logs these...

replace the "." with a ","

"To" and "From" missing

Using "+" or "||"

Web resources about - Context switches due to "Network Services" - sybase.ase.performance+tuning