Check List for ASE 11.9.2 Performance Tuning

Dear all,

We need to troubleshoot the performance issue in an ASE 11.9.2 server.
During the system in a slow response time state, about 20 Sh_page locks (Non
Cursor Lock) found on the syslogins when I execute the sp_lock.
Can anyone give me some advise on which areas I should check first (may be a
check list) ?

Cheers,
Jack

0
Jack
2/28/2003 9:33:32 AM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You might want to read through the Performance & Tuning guide for things
like query performance management with things like sp_showplan and
sp_sysmon.

What you could consider is this.  Any running task may be running with a
bad query plan.  Here's my short-list of what to look at (and I could come
up with a very long list).

sp_showplan any task that is running.
Look at its query plan to note what the query is doing.
Determine if something like a table scan is occurring and why.
Fix the table-scan issue through normal DBA tasks of either creating
indexes or changing code.
rinse and repeat.

There are many things to do to diagnose and cleans performance problems
within systems.  Depending on how mission-critical it is, you might want to
hire consultants and or more skilled DBAs to oversee the system longer-term
and make sure things like this don't happen often.  Far too many times,
performance problems happen when DBAs or other management deem indexes as
being too expensive for performance and don't put them on tables that
really need them.  Or, indexes are designed wrong with not enough columns,
for example.

Another bad situation that happens with Sybase ASE is datatype mismatches
in parameter stored procedures or within joins between tables with
differing datatypes of columns.  Make sure parameters to procedures match
the columns that they are used on within queries of the stored procedure -
that is a must for good performance.

If you have more questions - post them here.

Also, if you want a copy of a stored procedure I wrote called "sp_what"
which shows only the running spids of your server instead of the
oh-so-wonderful sp_who which does nothing much, let me know.

John McVicker
Inventa Technologies, Inc.
jmcvicker@inventa.com
We specialize in high-capacity performance tuning and system monitoring.
0
John_McVicker
2/28/2003 3:54:56 PM
Hello, Jack!
You wrote  on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:33:32 +0800:

 JS> We need to troubleshoot the performance issue in an ASE 11.9.2 server.
 JS> During the system in a slow response time state, about 20 Sh_page locks (Non
 JS> Cursor Lock) found on the syslogins when I execute the sp_lock.
 JS> Can anyone give me some advise on which areas I should check first (may be a check list) ?

lond living or uncommited transactions.

--------------------
Ilya Zvyagin, First Container Terminal of SPb Sea Port
E-mail: masterziv@*KILLSPAM*mail.ru - include HP in subject
ICQ UID: 29427861(MasterZIV)

0
Ilya

ASE optimizer behavior differences and Performance differences between ASEs: 11.50/ 11.9.2
Hi, I wish I could report that the 11.9.2.4 ASE is performing better then our 11.50 AS instances, but then I would probably not be submitting this post. I have two similar ASE instances which appear to have identical table,indexes,segments,devices. The row counts of the two tables are only off by 1000 and that is expected. Showplan reveals that the optimizer is behaviing very differently between the two instances , not supprised. The new 11.9.2.4/1175/P/SWR/9520 ASE is performing poorly and I can not proced with upgrading my other servers to 11.9.2 untill I accertain the performanc...

Reorg cause performance ASE 11.9.2.2
After we run reorg for all of our DOL tables using reorg rebuild. Performance on ASE 11.9.2 is really bad but regain about 40GB of disk spaces. Please, advice Do any one know if there is problems with the reorg rebuild with ASe 11.9.2.2? reorg steps: reorg rebuild table_name go update statistics table_name go sp_recompile table_name go loc.tran@sci-us.com wrote... > After we run reorg for all of our DOL tables using reorg rebuild. > Performance on ASE 11.9.2 is really bad but regain about 40GB of disk > spaces. Please, advice > > Do any one know if t...

ASE 11.9.2 performance on Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 8
We have been running ASE 11.9.2 on Solaris 2.6 for last three years and it seems fine. Lately we tested our applications (still built on Solaris 2.6) on a faster machine running on Solaris 8. Every app runs 40% faster except two key apps, which run even slower. Hardware: Old system: Sun Ultra 5, CPU 360 MHZ, RAM 128 MB, two EIDE 5400RPM hard disks Test system: Sun Blade 100, CPU 500 MHZ, RAM 128 MB, two EIDE 7200RPM hard disks 11.9.2 configurations on both systems are the same. Three devices are used on each system for master, sysprocsdev and userdata, and all are raw par...

Download Database from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 11.0.2 ?
Dear All: We have a Sybase ASE11.9.2 on Window NT, and we already run some application on it about 6 months. Since the third party software we use cann't support ASE11.9.2, we must use ASE 11.0.2. Can we just backup the database of ASE11.9.2 then restore the backup database to ASE11.0.2 ? Has it any problem ? Or, We must do following procedure. 1) bcp out the data from ASE11.9.2 2) create the database on ASE11.0.2 3) bcp in the 1) data to ASE11.0.2 Can anyone tell me?? Teresa Young Teresa, The problem with dump and load is that the log format in 11.9.2 is much diff...

convert float to char (ASE 11.9.2 , ASE 11.9.3)
declare @n float select @n = 12.001 select convert(varchar(20), @n) go isql returned -------------------- 12.000999999999999 Why? MS SQL 6.5 returns 12.001 Thanks Ivan Rubinov This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------B8833FC9B364722D034F7974 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit First, when converting from an imprecise numeric (FLOAT, REAL) you should be using the str() function, rather than convert. The floating point datatype cannot store 12.001 exactly. The convert is displaying the value that is ...

Best Performance ASE 11.9.2
Please can anyone help. I am about to install ASE 11.9.2 on IBM Cluster using 2kadv server, 2gb memory 2 proc 10 18.2GB disks with 2 fibre channels Can anyone tell me the best config to get the most performace out of this cluster. Kev As anyone here will tell you, the 'best' configuration is a function of the work you intend to do on it. A few examples: - Is your application a DSS, OLTP or mixed workload - Do you expect to be limited by physical io - Do you expect a large load on tempdb - How much use is made of stored procedures - Are your tables DOL or Allp...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 #2
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a Sun 3000 with=20 Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a Sun 10000 with Adaptive=20 Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (64 bits) and Solaris v. 8 Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more=20 powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system=20 and sybase version) A particular query with insert used to work for about 2 hours in a Sun 3000= =20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits).=20 In a Sun 10000 with Adaptive ...

ASE 11.9.2
Hi, my question is what would be the cause of dropping down server performance in just 15-20 min. I had 20 users updating the database for 5-6 hours. Then I got a call that speed dramatically dropped down and for last 10 min only 2 users on the system and it's very slow. I checked errorlog and NT logs - no error messages. Where should I look and what could it be? Thing like that happens 3rd time for a couple of month. Usually I restart server when it happens, but also I restart NT server 1-2 per month as a part of maintenance procedure. I use ASE 11.9.2 on NT 4 (sp 4) ...

ASE 11.9.2 table scans and kills performance, any hints?
Our problem is that ASE 11.9.2 (select version returns: /1031/P/RS6000/AIX 4.2.1/FBO/FRI AUG 14 01:11:06 1998) does not seem to be taking advantage of indexes and table scans largest tables in a range of queries. Update statistics has been done and had no effect on query plan. All indexes and foreign keys seem to be in place. We are new to ASE and connecting from Powerbulider 6.5. Any ideas? Best regards, Andrzej Zaleski example query (all '_hist' tables are scanned): SELECT personel.per_serial, 0.01 styczen FROM personel, wymiar_hist, etata_hist, etatb_hist...

replicate ASE 11.0.3 via R.S. 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2
Has any one successfully replicated from 11.0.3 using Rep Server 11.5 to ASE 11.9.2 using ltm's? We are running on solaris 2.6 using veritas filesystem and keep getting stack traces (this shuts down the connection). I would like to know if anyone else has replicated using these versions or something similar. Thanks. kboniface@worldres.com Yes, I have done this. No specific problems. HTH, Rob -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase ASE 11.5 Administrator (Professional) Certified DBA/Performance...

ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2 on same box
Hi evereyone, I would like to install 2 ASE servers with different versions on same linux box. Is this possible? Here is what I tried to do: I have a working ASE 11.9.2 on linux box tried to install ASE 11.0.3.3 on same box in different directory and it gave me an error. Wondering if this ispossible at all. Appreciate any help. TIA ar The 11.0.3.3 rpm tries to uninstall the 11.9.2 package. I shutdown the 11.9.2 server before install 11.0.3.3 and I do not keep the both versions running. The variables SYBASE, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH must be correctly set to point the...

Transferring database ASE 11.9.2 -> ASE 11.5
Hello, I need to transfer a database from a ASE 11.9.2 server to a ASE 11.5 server. (Servers have the same specs and run Windows NT 4.0). The database doesn't have many objects such as tables, users, Views, SP's etc. etc. It has a 400 MB device for data and 100 MB Device for the log, with standard segmentation. It's relatively small. I understand from this newsgroup that dumping on a newer release and loading on an older release is not an option. Now I figure I have to do the following: - Create a data and a log device with similar names and sizes on the ASE 11.5 se...

ASE 12 running with ASE 11.9.2 and RS 11.5
Hi, I have a customer that asks the following question: "Are there any issues running Sybase 32 and 64 bit applications on the same box? What about replication? Is it possible for us to upgrade to 12 repserver and dataserver on our central complex and continue to run 11.5 repserver/11.9.2 dataserver at remotes?" I would think that this configuration would be ok, but I thought I'd better verify it. Thanks, Pat Proft Alliance Support Pat Proft wrote: > Hi, > I have a customer that asks the following question:...

ODBC recordset performance ASE 11.9.2 versus 12.0 (select method cursor)
Hi All, We are having a performance problem retrieving results back from Sybase 12 via ODBC. The simplest way to reproduce the problem is to use MS Access and attach a Sybase 12.0 and a Sybase 11.9 table via access. There is about 16000 records in each of the tables, the Sybase 11.9 table takes 10 seconds to open, the Sybase 12.0 table takes 75 seconds to open. The tables do not have PK's on them. The server configs and hardware is similar. The ODBC driver version we are using is Merant 3.50, although I can reproduce the problem in version 3.11 as well. The performance s...

Web resources about - Check List for ASE 11.9.2 Performance Tuning - sybase.ase.performance+tuning

BMW i8: Jaw-dropping style and green performance, but why?
... drives the BMW i8 for a week and starts to wonder why the Germans built this EV. Continue reading BMW i8: Jaw-dropping style and green performance, ...

"I agree that Sylvester Stallone gave a hearty, worldly-wise performance as the aged Rocky Balboa..." ...
"... and thought that he’d be one of the few intersections between my own year-end picks and the nominations. But the Academy’s choice of no ...

WaPo: Trump/Cruz Commanding Performances in Debate Make It a Two-Horse Race
WaPo: Trump/Cruz Commanding Performances in Debate Make It a Two-Horse Race

Donald Trump rally features incredible performance of 3 young children singing about crushing America's ...
Real-estate mogul Donald Trump's Wednesday-night campaign rally featured a song and dance performance from three young girls. The trio, who ...

CBS/NYT Poll: Americans divided on Obama job performance in his final year
Survey also looks at his actions on gun rights, foreign policy and the economy

Alan Rickman: Best Movie Performances - Collider
We run down our list of Alan Rickman's best performances, which includes his phenomenal work in the Harry Potter series and more.

Second- and third-tier notebook ODMs to see weak shipment performance in 2016
Taiwan- and China-based second and third-tier notebook ODMs including Shuttle, Clevo, Elitegroup Computer Systems (ECS), Uniwill, Malata and ...

Watch 'HIMYM' Actress Cristin Milioti Cover David Bowie's 'Changes' in Off-Broadway Performance
The actress performs a powerful version the late singer's hit song in the Bowie-inspired play, 'Lazarus.'

How Important Is Site Performance For Traffic And Conversions?
When it comes to on-site factors for SEO, content marketing, and other inbound strategies, most people pay attention to structural elements and ...