ASE 12: Update Stat on index column takes 3 hours to run

I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique clustered
index with 6 columns.
It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading column.
The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M 16K.

Any tuning tips on this...

Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?

Ray

0
Ray
8/22/2002 12:34:58 AM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

some ideas:

- set 'global cache partitions' or ('local cache partitions' if the table
has it's own dedicated cache' to the number of cpus to avoid spinlock
contention
- partition the table to number of cpus or more. The drawback is, that the
usage of the partitions starts only at new inserts and you will need to
enable parallel processing and configure enough worker threads. If you copy
the table to a new, partitioned one and rename it afterwards, all stored
procedured, triggers and views depending on that table must be regenerated.
OTOH dbcc, update statistics or create index will work in parallel on the
partitions.
- drop and recreate index - this will update statistics too

--

mfg, R.Gl�ckner

------
Diese Email wurde beim Versand von Norton Antivirus 2002 auf Viren gepr�ft

"Ray" <dbmethods@optonline.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique
clustered
> index with 6 columns.
> It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading
column.
> The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M 16K.
>
> Any tuning tips on this...
>
> Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
>
> Ray

0
Robert
8/22/2002 7:37:36 AM
Hello Ray,

I'm assuming you're running update stats on a column using this syntax:

update statistics table_name (column_name) - where column_name being an inner
column column of your composite clustered index (you didn't mention if the table
is DOL or not).

Assuming this is an APL table the datapages will have to be read to gather the
values in the column. These will then be read into a work table, sorted and
again read to gather the column level stats. Yes, in a table this size this can
be time consuming. As Kevin mentions there are ways to help this along in
current versions.

If you need stats on this column, I'm assuming you do, then you may not need to
update the stats all that often. You may be able to use optdiag to directly
write the stats in the future.

As for sampling. I'm not currently able to say exactly which release it will be
available in. I will post that info here as soon as I can. Since I'm still in
the process of testing it I'm not free to say exactly how much time savings
there will be. But, I will say it's dramatic.

Let's see if we can get Kevin to preview his article here ;-)

Later,

Eric Miner
Sr. Engineer
DST Optimizer Group
Ray wrote:

> I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique clustered
> index with 6 columns.
> It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading column.
> The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M 16K.
>
> Any tuning tips on this...
>
> Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
>
> Ray

0
Eric
--------------FAAB6EA155BE27727AD3BCE3

Ray wrote:

> I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique clustered
> index with 6 columns.
> It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading column.
> The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M 16K.
>
> Any tuning tips on this...
>
> Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
>
> Ray

Eric Miner will probably be responding to this thread and mentioning the
future release which offers a "sampling" option to the update stats
command.  Basically, you provide it a percentage of the data from which
to gather the stats, rather than looking at the entire table.  I'll
leave it to Eric to provide the specifics, and when this will be released.

In the meantime,
<SHAMELESS PLUG>making update stats run faster is actually the subject
of an article that I'll be writing for the next ISUG Technical
Journal</SHAMELESS PLUG>.

Questions you might ask yourself:

- Is it really necessary to run update stats for this column?
- Are your queries suffering performance problems which are solved by
update stats on this column?
- If you only have the 1 unique clustered index, then I assume that your
performance problems involve joins to this table, and therefore, join
order may be an issue?  Index selection issues seem unlikely in this scenario.
- If join order is an issue, then you may only have to concern yourself
with the "Total Density" statistics for this column.  Have you
considered using the input mode of optdiag?
--------------FAAB6EA155BE27727AD3BCE3

begin:vcard
n:Sherlock;Kevin
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://qwestdex.com
org:Qwest DEX;Information Managment
adr:;;;Omaha;NE;68114;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:ksherlo_AT_qwest.com
title:Staff Information Systems Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Kevin Sherlock
end:vcard

--------------FAAB6EA155BE27727AD3BCE3--

0
Sherlock
8/22/2002 3:50:51 PM
Hi Eric,
For this type of big tables, just make sure by all means, we can do update
stat column_name within couple minutes.
Sampling for 1% of data or less should be good enough.

For update stat, any performance difference btw APL and Data Row Only
tables?

I also notice this by running sysmon in my testing, tempdb is heavy use and
not much parallalizm going go.

Ray

"Eric Miner" <eminer@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Hello Ray,
>
> I'm assuming you're running update stats on a column using this syntax:
>
> update statistics table_name (column_name) - where column_name being an
inner
> column column of your composite clustered index (you didn't mention if the
table
> is DOL or not).
>
> Assuming this is an APL table the datapages will have to be read to gather
the
> values in the column. These will then be read into a work table, sorted
and
> again read to gather the column level stats. Yes, in a table this size
this can
> be time consuming. As Kevin mentions there are ways to help this along in
> current versions.
>
> If you need stats on this column, I'm assuming you do, then you may not
need to
> update the stats all that often. You may be able to use optdiag to
directly
> write the stats in the future.
>
> As for sampling. I'm not currently able to say exactly which release it
will be
> available in. I will post that info here as soon as I can. Since I'm still
in
> the process of testing it I'm not free to say exactly how much time
savings
> there will be. But, I will say it's dramatic.
>
> Let's see if we can get Kevin to preview his article here ;-)
>
> Later,
>
> Eric Miner
> Sr. Engineer
> DST Optimizer Group
> Ray wrote:
>
> > I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique
clustered
> > index with 6 columns.
> > It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading
column.
> > The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> > 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M
16K.

> > Any tuning tips on this...
> >
> > Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
> >
> > Ray

0
Ray
8/23/2002 11:48:04 AM
Hi!

For such long running update stats I would assume kind of "workarround":
- take backup of the database,
- load it on some backup server,
- run update statistics on that server,
- use optdiag to reload stats for this table on production database.

Of course you need some backup system to do this...

Adam K.

Ray wrote:

> Hi Eric,
> For this type of big tables, just make sure by all means, we can do update
> stat column_name within couple minutes.
> Sampling for 1% of data or less should be good enough.
>
> For update stat, any performance difference btw APL and Data Row Only
> tables?
>
> I also notice this by running sysmon in my testing, tempdb is heavy use and
> not much parallalizm going go.
>
> Ray
>
> "Eric Miner" <eminer@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Ray,
> >
> > I'm assuming you're running update stats on a column using this syntax:
> >
> > update statistics table_name (column_name) - where column_name being an
> inner
> > column column of your composite clustered index (you didn't mention if the
> table
> > is DOL or not).
> >
> > Assuming this is an APL table the datapages will have to be read to gather
> the
> > values in the column. These will then be read into a work table, sorted
> and
> > again read to gather the column level stats. Yes, in a table this size
> this can
> > be time consuming. As Kevin mentions there are ways to help this along in
> > current versions.
> >
> > If you need stats on this column, I'm assuming you do, then you may not
> need to
> > update the stats all that often. You may be able to use optdiag to
> directly
> > write the stats in the future.
> >
> > As for sampling. I'm not currently able to say exactly which release it
> will be
> > available in. I will post that info here as soon as I can. Since I'm still
> in
> > the process of testing it I'm not free to say exactly how much time
> savings
> > there will be. But, I will say it's dramatic.
> >
> > Let's see if we can get Kevin to preview his article here ;-)
> >
> > Later,
> >
> > Eric Miner
> > Sr. Engineer
> > DST Optimizer Group
> > Ray wrote:
> >
> > > I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique
> clustered
> > > index with 6 columns.
> > > It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading
> column.
> > > The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> > > 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M
> 16K.
> > >
> > > Any tuning tips on this...
> > >
> > > Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
> > >
> > > Ray

0
Adam
--------------00BD1C4B9E138933FFB003CC

Eric Miner wrote:

> Let's see if we can get Kevin to preview his article here ;-)

Nice try Eric :).  Actually, for the circumstances spelled out in Ray's
original post, the only things that could be done to speed this along
have to do with server configuration (pre-allocated extents, large io
pools, wash marker settings, ULC settings, dbcc tune tweaking,  etc).
My article goes into details on a different set of circumstances where a
table has multiple (mostly composite) indexes defined on it.

I'm still interested in the answer as to why the statistics are needed
in the first place :)  My only guess is that the leading column of his
clustered index has a very high density.

> Ray wrote:
>
> > I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique clustered
> > index with 6 columns.
> > It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading column.
> > The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> > 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M 16K.
> >
> > Any tuning tips on this...
> >
> > Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
> >
> > Ray
--------------00BD1C4B9E138933FFB003CC

begin:vcard
n:Sherlock;Kevin
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://qwestdex.com
org:Qwest DEX;Information Managment
adr:;;;Omaha;NE;68114;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:ksherlo_AT_qwest.com
title:Staff Information Systems Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Kevin Sherlock
end:vcard

--------------00BD1C4B9E138933FFB003CC--

0
Sherlock
8/27/2002 9:39:51 PM
At least I tried.

There are a number of reasons for adding stats to the columns of an index. I suspect
in his case he's found it produces more accurate plans. On the other hand there is
something of a 'myth' that says just run update index stats without testing...not
always a good idea.

Later,

Eric

"Sherlock, Kevin" wrote:

> Eric Miner wrote:

> > Let's see if we can get Kevin to preview his article here ;-)
> >

> Nice try Eric :).  Actually, for the circumstances spelled out in Ray's
> original post, the only things that could be done to speed this along
> have to do with server configuration (pre-allocated extents, large io
> pools, wash marker settings, ULC settings, dbcc tune tweaking,  etc).
> My article goes into details on a different set of circumstances where a
> table has multiple (mostly composite) indexes defined on it.
>
> I'm still interested in the answer as to why the statistics are needed
> in the first place :)  My only guess is that the leading column of his
> clustered index has a very high density.
>
> > Ray wrote:
> >
> > > I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique clustered
> > > index with 6 columns.
> > > It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading column.
> > > The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> > > 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M 16K.
> > >
> > > Any tuning tips on this...
> > >
> > > Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
> > >
> > > Ray

0
Eric
8/28/2002 4:02:00 PM
Yes, that is true the leading column of the clustered index has a very high
density.
And it was fine with 11.0.3.3 server but not 11.9.2.

"Sherlock, Kevin" <ksherlo@qwest.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Eric Miner wrote:

> > Let's see if we can get Kevin to preview his article here ;-)
> >

> Nice try Eric :).  Actually, for the circumstances spelled out in Ray's
> original post, the only things that could be done to speed this along
> have to do with server configuration (pre-allocated extents, large io
> pools, wash marker settings, ULC settings, dbcc tune tweaking,  etc).
> My article goes into details on a different set of circumstances where a
> table has multiple (mostly composite) indexes defined on it.
>
> I'm still interested in the answer as to why the statistics are needed
> in the first place :)  My only guess is that the leading column of his
> clustered index has a very high density.
>
> > Ray wrote:
> >
> > > I have 1 table has over 15 million rows. It has 1 composite unique
clustered
> > > index with 6 columns.
> > > It takes over 3 hours to update statistics on 1 column not a leading
column.
> > > The hardware is Sun 4 cpu Ultra 80, OS 2.8,
> > > 4G memory, EMC drives, Sybase ASE 12 with 3.5G memory, 200M 4K, 200M
16K.

> > > Any tuning tips on this...
> > >
> > > Will Sybase next release make some improvement on update stat?
> > >
> > > Ray

0
Ray
--------------BB8F12EE2D7329919DC9A407

Ray wrote:

> Yes, that is true the leading column of the clustered index has a very high
> density.
> And it was fine with 11.0.3.3 server but not 11.9.2.

Can you post an example of a query that benefits from the additional
stats?  It's not that I don't believe you need the stats (you probably
do), it's just that there may be an alternative solution for your case
that you may not have considered which could save you the time needed to
run update stats.
--------------BB8F12EE2D7329919DC9A407

begin:vcard
n:Sherlock;Kevin
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://qwestdex.com
org:Qwest DEX;Information Managment
adr:;;;Omaha;NE;68114;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:ksherlo_AT_qwest.com
title:Staff Information Systems Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;3
fn:Kevin Sherlock
end:vcard

--------------BB8F12EE2D7329919DC9A407--

0
Sherlock

Vulnerability of ASE 12.5.2 vs ASE 12.5.3 ESD#3
Recently, Application Security, Inc. has run a vulnerability test on our ASE12.5.2. The program gave a 'high risk' on the ASE12.5.2 and suggested we install the latest Sybase patch 12.5.3 ESD#3. I have some question on the recommendation. 1. The latest patch is definitely not 12.5.3 ESD#3. Why did the program recommend 12.5.3 ESD#3? Isn't 12.5.4 better than 12.5.3? 2. Is it practical to keep up with the latest releases or patches? Now if we upgrade to 12.5.4 and then rerun the vulnerability test, will the program suggest that newer version is better with respect to s...

ASE 12.5 to ASE 12.5.3
One of our client is having 3 no license for ASE 12.5 on Win2K (running 3 production servers) and not in the support/AMC with Sybase.. is client eligible to use ASE 12.5.3 ? Thanks KRV ...

ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12
We're planning to upgrade our existing environment from ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12. Are there any problems we should be aware of? ...

Same machine: ASE 12.5.3 Linux vs ASE 12.5.3 Windows
We had a report from one of our clients recently that our Sybase ASE-based app was running slowly on their new Linux box. As we develop internally against ASE on Windows we thought it would be an interesting test to install both the Windows and Linux flavors of ASE 12.5.3 onto the same server and look at the relative performance. We used a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 2 x Intel Xeon 3.73GHz dual core processors. On one drive we put SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 10 x86-64, and on the other we put Windows Server 2003 Std R2 64-bit edition. Both were fresh-off-the-CD OS installs. ...

ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12 #2
We're planning to upgrade our existing environment from ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12. Are there any problems we should be aware of? Anatoly, Check for datatype mismatches - int -> smallint, datetime->smalldatetime, etc.. (the P&T Guide has a section on this). Also make sure to run update statistics on all your user tables. Hope this helps, Eric Miner Sr. Engineer DST Engineering Optimizer Group Anatoly_Reznik wrote: > We're planning to upgrade our existing environment from ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE > 12. Are there any problems we should be aware of? ...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

Performance Degradation after ASE 12.0 upgrade to ASE 12.5
Hello, There was a issue posted on 08/06/2002 by 'Bob' related to performance degradation after upgrade of ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5. I would like to know whether anyone has found any solution/workaround to resolve those issues without making any changes in the application code. We are also facing the same problems here after upgrade of ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5. The program which takes 10 mins. on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 3 hrs to finish on ASE 12.5 despite of using the same indexes and the program which takes 3 hrs on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 24 hours on ASE 12.5. ...

ASE 12.5.2 or ASE 12.5.3 on Solaris 10
Hi there! Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE on Solaris 10? I have tried to search around on sybase.com, but without any luck. I'm particulary looking into zones/containers with ASE and if there is any issues regarding this. Any help is much appreciated. ..prn Hi, As for as i known there aren't whitepapers or docu. I have a couple of boxes with ASE in a zone. So if you have questions mail me. Sjaak Preben Olsen wrote: > Hi there! > > Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE > on Solaris 10? I h...

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Does ASE 12.5.3 IR is a EBF for ASE 12.5.2?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090403060603000107000502 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I noticed that release description of ASE 12.5.3 like the following: *Product Name: * Adaptive Server Enterprise *Platform: * Win NT *Release Version: * 12.5.2 *Release Description: * EBF 12150: 12.5.3 IR *Release Date: * 01 Dec 2004 So it seems that it's a EBF of ASE 12.5.2. But it seems not possible to download it. :( What's the matter? Must pay for that? Best Regards FlyBe...

Dump on ASE 12.5.2 and Load on ASE 12.5.3
Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? It is possible to dump a database in 12.5.2 and load it onto 12.5.3. -bret Leandro wrote: > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and > later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? I recently dumped from 12.0 & loaded to 12.5, was pleasantly surprised the load process upgraded the database automatically. <Leandro> wrote in message news:425d7e31.7943.1681692777@sybase.com... > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12...

Web resources about - ASE 12: Update Stat on index column takes 3 hours to run - sybase.ase.performance+tuning

Windows Update - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Update is a service provided by Microsoft that provides updates for the Microsoft Windows operating system and its installed components, ...

Gizmodo.com Updates
Nobody should have to use a pay phone , natural disaster or no natural disaster. So if your gadgets are out of juice after Sandy, here’s a tiny ...

Lifehacker.com Updates
By Whitson Gordon Ever run into a situation where you have multiple wireless networks available, but one is clearly better than the other? WiFi ...

Facebook To Update Mobile Apps Every 4 To 8 Weeks
On the same day that Facebook released a bunch of mobile updates for Apple and Android devices , the social network also announced that it will ...

Samsung rolling out a battery-improving update to the Gear S2
... Time when it comes to the battery department, but perhaps the Tizen-powered wearable will inch closer to the 7-day mark after its latest update. ...

Fitness update, 2015 summation
Building strength, power, and endurance are our goals (along with minimizing disgusting body fat) until we reach a point of satisfaction and ...

Minor updates coming to 2017 Chevy Volt
... , Chevrolet , Electric , Hybrid The 2016 Chevrolet Volt has just appeared at dealerships, but already the talk has turned to the mildly updated ...

Update Flash right now, or just get rid of it: Christmas hack edition
... than guarding the security of their computers. Adobe has acknowledged the issue in a security announcement, and you should definitely update ...

Coming up for Windows 10: Needed upgrades, forced updates
Windows 10 was the biggest news story out of Microsoft in 2015, and looking forward to the coming year, it’s slated to continue as one of the ...

Today In Both Sides Do It: Politico And (Update) MSNBC
In a typically horrid, horse-race-tout-sheet article entitled, Thirty Two Short Films About Glenngarry Glenn Ross "13 times Trump looked finished, ...