app crashes leaving pending locks

We have an app which opens a transaction, runs a couple of stored
procedures and commits/rolls the changes. It so happens that for unknown
reasons the application crashes while in the middle of a tran and of course
the locks it has accumulated are not released.

About 2 hours later the sybase errorlog says:

"Process id xxx (the one holding the locks) killed by hostname yyyy, Host
id zzzzz"
 In the meantime we have a lot of processes blocked for a very long time.

The question is how we can make sybase resolve such situations in a more
prompt manner. I seem to recall that there is something called "heartbeat"
which in essence causes sybase to check if the client is still alive. Is
there a parameter controlling how frequently this is done?

Thank you for your suggestions.
Lubo Vitkov
0
vitkov
4/5/2002 7:29:42 PM
sybase.ase.performance+tuning 2395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

0
joop