Squeezing the maximum memory out of ASE 12.5.x (and ASE 15.0) on Windows

I've seen a few postings asking how to get the largest memory allocation on
a Windows 32-bit platform on ASE 12.5.x. Here is what I've pieced together
over the last couple of years. In early testing the same configuration
applies to ASE 15.0 too.

Note that this isn't the last word on how to configure Sybase for large
memory in Windows (I'm sure there must be tricks to squeeze even more memory
out of the system) but these tips work well for me.
-----

The Microsoft Windows operating system, running on a 32 bit platform has
memory address limits for the maximum size a process may be. While, given
sufficient memory, Windows will allow multiple instances of Sybase with
large memory allocations, there is a maximum size each individual Sybase
process may be.

In order to maximise the size a process may be in Windows the operating
system should be booted with the /3GB option(specified in C:\boot.ini) which
limits the operating system kernel to using 1GB of memory, allowing a
(theoretical) maximum individual process size of 3GB.

If more than 4GB of memory is to be used the /PAE setting must also be added
in boot.ini. This will allow multiple 3GB processes (with each process not
more than 3GB). Note that Windows Server 2003 Enterprise edition (or
greater) is required to use more than 4GB of memory.

Given these boot options, on a server with at least 4GB memory, the
following maximum memory sizes may be set for Sybase:

Windows 2000 Professional/Windows XP: 761810 (2k pages) = 1,487.9MB
Windows Server 2003: 1522000 (2k pages) = 2,972.7MB

If allocating more than 2GB of memory the Sybase configuration option
"shared memory starting address" must be set to 23662592. Also, you must set
the Windows Virtual Memory setting ("paging size") to at least 4GB.

Note that if the Sybase 'max memory' option is set higher than the above
settings, if memory is allocated over these settings Sybase will hang, and
then will fail to start.

Should you require large memory allocation (eg. for a large data cache) it
is recommended to use a 64-bit Linux on a x64-64 processor. Sybase ASE is
not available at present on a 64-bit Windows platform although I understand
that Sybase have plans to release Sybase 15.0 for Windows x86-64 during
Quarter 3, 2006.

Useful links:

Microsoft: A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical
Address Extension switch
Sybase: Addressable Memory Limits

0
Richard
8/3/2006 4:23:36 PM
sybase.ase.nt 1081 articles. 0 followers. Follow

thanks for posting this, it is very helpful. Do you happen
to have the URLs for the Helpful links?
0
somguy
11/28/2006 10:47:18 PM
Microsoft: A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical
Address Extension switch (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988/)

Sybase: Addressable Memory Limits (http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1026830

<somguy> wrote in message news:456cca86.2775.1681692777@sybase.com...
> thanks for posting this, it is very helpful. Do you happen
> to have the URLs for the Helpful links?

0
Richard

Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 to ASE 12.5.x...
Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 to ASE 12.5.x... Dear All, I'm in the process of creating a roll-back / contingency / downgrade plan for an ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2). Just a quick note to confirm my understanding of the below statement I found in Sybase ASE 15.0.2 installation / upgrade documentation. Statement 01: ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Downgrading from ASE 15.0.2 release: This section describes how to downgrade from Adaptive Server 15.0.2 to an earlier Adaptive Server ...

Upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2
Hello all, I have been writing some checklists regarding the Upgrade from ASE12.5.x version to ASE15.0.2 version, and I have to cover some different sceneries. I would like to confirm with you guys, If my thoughts are correct regarding the methods for each situation, and if not, would like some advice from you please. Correct me please if I am wrong. Follow the sceneries and the possible methods for each situation that I need to cover: A) Migrating from ASE 12.5.x 32-bit to ASE 15.0.2 64-bit version of Adaptive Server Enterprise (in this case the page size ...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too?
When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too? Dear All, I'm currently working on a ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from ASE 12.5.x). I'm trying to decide what version of ASE 15 we should upgrade to. What are your thoughts? Which version is the safest bet (ASE 15.0, ASE 15.0.1, ASE 15.0.2, ASE 15.0.3 or ASE 15.5)? Which ASE version is considered, at this time, the most mature and reliable version (i.e. with the least amount of known bugs, least amount of upgrade issues, etc.)? If applicable, please also give the most recomm...

ASE ODBC Driver 15.x backward compatible with ASE 12.5.x
Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is backward compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored procedures in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type users to work. -- Thank You Scott Kellish --- Quote of the Minute --- Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it. _________________________________________ Scott Kellish, Owner SoftSystem Solutions, LLC. 18 Ridge Road...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0
Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 without any problems? According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What should I do instead? Deborah, Brown wrote: > Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 > without any problems? > > According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress > the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What > should I do instead? It means that most of the bugs fixed in 12.5.3 ESDs haven't yet been forward-ported to 15.0....

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.4 upgrade path
I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate upgrade to be performed in between? Take a look at the release bulletins and installation guides for your platform. These are the first steps to any upgrade. http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/detail.do?docset=1287 <passerby> wrote in message news:484e9ca8.3f0d.1681692777@sybase.com... >I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to > 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate > upgrade to be performed in between? ...

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

ASE 12.5 32bit to ASE 15.0 64bit upgrade
What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit on AIX 5.3? The 15.0.1 Installation Guide describes the normal 15.0 upgrade process but then has a terse section towards the end, "Migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit version", that describes other steps. Are these steps in addition to the normal upgrade process (sqlupgrade) or are they in place of sqlupgrade? Do I really have to drop and re-create all compiled objects (step 12 under Method #3: Replacing the binary)? Keith Wonderly wrote: > > What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit >...

Upgrade to ASE 15..0.3 from ASE 12.5.4
I'm currently planning to do an upgrade in place from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15.0.3 using sqlupgrade(res) utility. Does it just run the installmaster and instmsgs.ebf scripts ? Will I have to manually run the rest of the scripts i.e. installsecurity, installdbccdb etc.? Also in ran the preupgrade program against my old server - the main errors it came up with were: Stored Procedure '' uses deprecated builtin functions as: 'rowcnt', which should be changed to 'row_count'. It doesn't show the stored procedures name - has anyone had this problem ? Re...

Web resources about - Squeezing the maximum memory out of ASE 12.5.x (and ASE 15.0) on Windows - sybase.ase.nt

Facebook Squeezing Spammy App Developers Out of Viral Channels
Tonight, Facebook changed the viral channel limits for application developers, making it harder for spammy app developers to keep growing and ...

Squeezing a bit more income from your savings
It's one of the most frequently asked questions: how can I get a decent return without taking on risk?

A household spending slowdown is squeezing the economy
A fall in the value of retail sales suggests a sharp decline in household spending, with real GDP set to contract for the first time since March ...

Nigella Lawson leaves house as UK tabloid publishes images of Charles Saatchi squeezing her throat
NIGELLA Lawson has left her marital home with a suitcase just hours after shocking pictures emerged of the TV chef apparently being choked by ...

Emirates rejects squeezing more seats into A380s
Emirates rules out squeezing more seats into its Airbus A380 superjumbos, but still has plans for economy class.

Squeezing entitlements to the limit
I'd reckon the best lesson to politicians' kids is to muck in with everyone else in economy.

'They're squeezing us off our island'
B.C. government denies UBCM report that says billions of dollars lost as a result of BC Ferries fare increases hikes, but Islanders say the hikes ...

5 reasons why Target is squeezing lower prices from suppliers
Target reportedly wants lower prices from its suppliers. That could be a good thing for shoppers, experts say.

Ontario's Job Market Squeezing Out Middle Earners: Report
Ontario’s job market is shifting away from full-time, permanent work and towards part-time and temporary work, and middle-wage jobs are being ...

U.S. hedge funds squeezing profitable Postmedia: Union
Feature 1 Faceless foreign ownership is behind newspaper publisher Postmedia's push to cut costs at Vancouver's duopoly dailies, according to ...