'default' segment is full/has no free extents

Hi, i have sybase 12.0 on Windows NT4 SP6a. I have a problem, the database
is blocked with this message 'Can't allocate space for object 'XXX' in
database 'YYY' because 'default' segment is full/has no free extents. If you
ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER
DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase s
-1105'

I have this problem twice on one week. To solve this problem i create and
assign a new device for data at the database (1Gb and 2Gb). Making this the
the database is already online. But i know that is not the solution.

Anyone can help me?

Thanks a lot.

Filippo

0
Fil
12/29/2005 9:57:49 AM
sybase.ase.nt 1081 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Normal procedure is to a) run 'disk init' to create a new device and then
b) run 'alter database' to extend your database onto the newly created device.

If you do *NOT* use the 'log on' clause to the 'alter database' command all
space will be allocated to the 'default' and 'system' segments in the
database; which would 'solve' your problem of running out of space on the
'default' segment.

I am not sure what your question/issue is ... were you unable to add space
to your database?  If not, please post the following:

a - select @@version
b - select * from master..sysusages where dbid = db_id('<database_name>')
c - exact 'disk init' and 'alter database' commands you issued
d - any other commands you may have issued

--------------------------------

If your concern/issue is that you've had to add space twice in one week
then (obviously?) you have something using up space in your database.

If your data and log are sitting on the same devices you may need to look
at dumping the transaction log to free up space.

If your data and log are on different devices, chances are
someone/something is adding a good bit of data to a table(s).  Assuming
you're running ASE 11.x or 12.x, run the following command:

use <database_name>
go
declare @pagekb int,
         @dbname varchar(30)

select  @dbname = db_name()

select  @pagekb = low/1024
from    master..spt_values
where   number = 1
and     type = 'E'

print   ""
print   "%1! page size = %2! (KB)",
         @@servername,
         @pagekb
print   "database = %1!",
         @dbname
print   ""

select  'table' = o.name,
         'size (KB)' = convert(int,sum(reserved_pgs(o.id,i.doampg) +
                                       reserved_pgs(o.id,i.ioampg)
                                      ) *
                                   @pagekb
                              ),
         '# rows' = convert(int,sum(rowcnt(i.doampg)))
from    sysobjects o,
         sysindexes i
where   o.id = i.id
and     o.type = 'U'
group by o.name
order by 2
go

This will show you the size (KB's and record counts) of all the tables in
your database.  Chances are you have a couple tables (at the top of the
list) that are the big space users.  If so, you'll need to find out who (or
what application) is creating all these new records.

It may be that some application is generating more data than it's suppose
to (ie, it has a bug).

It may be that you need to implement some sort of archive/purge process to
periodically remove old data from your tables.

It may be that your database has been sized too small for your current
application(s).  If this is the case you'll need to sit down with the
application developers and (possibly) the users ... and try to figure out
how large the database should be.  It probably wouldn't hurt to get an idea
of how large they expect the database to grow over the next year; this way
you can plan ahead for space requiremnets.

----------------------

One other item you'll probably want to look into is some sort of monitoring
and alerting process that will tell you when the database is running low on
space.  The objective being to allow you enough time to add space before
the database runs out of space (and suspends all user activity).

This could be as simple as once or twice a day logging into the database
and checking the amount of space left in each segment.

Or you could spend some money and buy a 3rd party monitoring package.

Or you could write a small script/job that automatically does the segment
space checking and then generates an email (or pager alert?) if a certain
threshold is crossed.

Alternatively, setup segment thresholds in the database which will print
messages to the errorlog as segment threholds (# free pages) are crossed.
Then it's just a matter of monitoring the dataserver errorlog (either
manually or have a small script/job that monitors the errorlog for you).

Fil wrote:
> Hi, i have sybase 12.0 on Windows NT4 SP6a. I have a problem, the database
> is blocked with this message 'Can't allocate space for object 'XXX' in
> database 'YYY' because 'default' segment is full/has no free extents. If you
> ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER
> DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase s
> -1105'
>
> I have this problem twice on one week. To solve this problem i create and
> assign a new device for data at the database (1Gb and 2Gb). Making this the
> the database is already online. But i know that is not the solution.
>
> Anyone can help me?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Filippo

0
Mark

''''''''''''''''''''

'''''

system' segment is full and can't be increased because it's full?
ASE 11.5, NT-Server: we can't access our Sybase Database from Opera anymore. The following error appears: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'master' because 'system' segment is full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase size of the segment. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- When we try to do an ALTER DATABASE or sp...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

Difference between '/' and '/default.aspx'
Is there any way to know when the user has entered a URL such as 'http://mysite.com/' vs. 'http://mysite.com/default.aspx'?  As far as I can tell, Request.Url and Request.RawUrl show the full path including page name regardless of which is used.Thank you! I am fairly sure that is not possible because it is IIS handling the default document, so ASP.NET gets the request for http://mysite.com/default.aspx, not mysite.com/.Cheers,       Kevin JonesMy Blog...

'''

Full-text search with '#' and '+' in keyword
Searches by keyword containing pound '#' and plus '+' signs using a Sql Server 2005's Full-Text index, and functions 'freetext' and 'containstable' does not yield correct results matching the term, such as 'C#' and 'C++'. The returned results seems equivalent of ones returned by terms without the pound and plus signs. Could anyone shed some light on this? The normal way to handle this would be to have the word stemmer change the # to sharp and + to plus. That way your searches can do the same thing. But in most databases you would h...

'b'..'a'

'or' or 'union'

'IN' Clause or 'OR'
Hello, [1]: select * from TABLEA where COL1 IN('value1','value2''valu3'....) [2]:select * from TABLEA where COL1 = 'value1' OR COL1= 'value2' OR COL1='valu3'. TABLEA is a huge table and it has non-clustered index on COL1. Among the above 2 queries, which query will give me the better performance or fast response and WHY? What is the difference between 'IN' and 'OR' clauses as for as Sybase Optimization is concerned. Which is the better one to be used on huge tables. Thanks. Mac An IN list is treated as a series of OR clauses. There's no diff between the two as far as the optimizer is concerned. Eric Miner Sr. engineer Optimizer Group Ma wrote: > Hello, > > [1]: select * from TABLEA where COL1 IN('value1','value2''valu3'....) > > [2]:select * from TABLEA where COL1 = 'value1' OR COL1= 'value2' OR > COL1='valu3'. > > TABLEA is a huge table and it has non-clustered index on COL1. Among the > above 2 queries, which query will give me the better performance or fast > response and WHY? > > What is the difference between 'IN' and 'OR' clauses as for as Sybase > Optimization is concerned. Which is the better one to be used on huge > tables. > > Thanks. > Mac ...

What's the difference between 'Free' and 'Available' wrt dis
If I look at my disk utilization, in System Monitor under Gnome, I see File System details which lists Total, Free, Available and Used. The simple arithmetic works for Total, Free and Used, however in my case 'Available' is 12 GB less than 'Free'. Which unprincipled rogue stole 12 GB of my disk? Why, that's almost an armful; I want it back! Where did it go? -- *-They said I wasn't fit to live with a pig; my brother stood up for me and said I was.-* ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 20:...

Could not allocate space for object 'SiteLog' in database 'dmconsulting' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full.
I recieve this error after changing my view options for events (standard DNN Module). Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Could not allocate space for object 'SiteLog' in database 'dmconsulting' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. I have emailed my site host that provides me with the Sql database. Currently I am using only 3% of my alloted space in SQL Server. I thought I would check here to see if any one has ideas. At thsi point I can not access my site. Just keep getting this error. I am newbire with DNN. I have liked what I have seen up to now. A...

'To', 'CC', & 'BCC'
Name: Dick Tracy Email: philipdottracyatoptusnetdotcomdotau Product: Thunderbird Summary: 'To', 'CC', & 'BCC' Comments: I have just started using Thunderbird and while I find it quite excellent- I suggest having a button to add addressees to 'BCC' as well. Currently each 'BCC' addressee has to be selected manually. I send e-mail to quite a number of people at a time and I do not wish to readily spread others addresses easily. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0....

EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''
What does the following SQL code mean?  EXEC sp_msforeachtable 'sp_spaceused ''?'''Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". JohanNL:sp_msforeachtable This is the name of the SP that resides in the master database.  This SP executes one or more commands for a table. JohanNL:sp_spaceused This is the command that you want to run for each of the tables residing in your current database.  As you might have understood so far, that this is again a...

'Value' should be between 'minimum' and 'maximum'.
I'm attempting to invoke with parameters:  Dim thing2 As New mydelsubPBStep(AddressOf pbStep) Me.Invoke(thing2, "setMax", dt.Rows.Count)      <---- this is where the error occurs   the delegate looks like this: Private Delegate Sub mydelsubPBStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer)   the function it's calling looks like this:Private Sub pbStep(ByVal mode As String, ByVal value As Integer) Select Case mode.ToLower Case "clear" ProgressBar1.Value = 0 Case "step" ProgressBar1.PerformStep() L...

Rename the Mobilink version 'default' to 'template'
Although (I think) you can use the 'default' version to synchronize, you must (I think) explicitly specify 'default' so it isn't really a "default". And the 'default' version is really a template version, wherein ulgen populates the ml_ tables with suggested scripts. Use of the word "default" is at best confusing and at worst (certainly in *my* case) misleading. Breck Easy To Mislead [TeamSybase] www.bcarter.com bcarter@bcarter.com Well, "template" name is confiusing as well. Maybe "Version1" ? -- Regard...

BC30560: 'Default' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'
I had compiled the latest version of source code and my colleague tried to deploy to web server. But the server kept having the error as below. After rollback to previous version, it works fine. The compiled codes work perfectly in testing server, which is also running Windows Server 2003. May I know the possible cause of this error?  Server Error in '/MyApp' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code ap...

About default options ':ratchet' and ':sigspace' on rules
Hello, (used to post on google group but found it does not deliver) I'm implementing "MiniPerl6" in pugs which is the first step of writing perl 6 parser in perl 6. In module Pugs::Grammar::MiniPerl6, http://svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/misc/pX/Common/Pugs-Grammar-MiniPerl6, I use another perl 6 grammar to describe it. It works well several days before when the parsing engine written in perl 5 did not implemented :ratchet and :sigspace flags. The grammar file can be found here: http//svn.openfoundry.org/pugs/misc/pX/Common/Pugs-Grammar-MiniPerl6/lib/Pugs/Grammar/Mi...

can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'master' because 'logsegment is full
Hi All, I'm working with Sybase 12.0 and Aix 5.1 First of all, one small history: I worked with sybase 11.9.2 and I never received the message about the problem with log of the master database. After changing to Sybase 12.0 this problem was occurred frequently. I added another 3 mb to master size but again this problem occurs. Any idea about what's happening? Thanks Sergio ps: I don't have any task that work with master database. I don't see any explanation to grow of the log master. In 12.0 a new column was added to syslogins to track unsuccessful logins; this resulted in a logged updated occurring every time someone logged in (or activated a role with a password). CR 220970 "The transaction log for the master database may become unexpectedly full due to incorrect passwords being repeatedly entered during server login.", implemented in 12.0.2 ESD #1, reduced the impact of this, but you will still see the logs filling faster in 12.0.x than in earlier versions. I recommend putting a threshold on the master database's log segment to alert you when the log is getting full. -bret Sergio_CBO wrote: > > Hi All, > > I'm working with Sybase 12.0 and Aix 5.1 > > First of all, one small history: > I worked with sybase 11.9.2 and I never received the message about the > problem with log of the master database. > After changing to Sybase 12.0 this prob...

'default' segment on tempdb does not have a device!!
I was increasing the tempdb size and my mind wondered for a few seconds. Now I have this --- SNIP--------- in tempdb- 1> sp_helpsegment "default" 2> go segment name status ------- ------------------------------ ------ 1 default 1 device size free_pages ------------------------------ ---------------------- ----------- table_name index_name indid ------------------------------ ------------------------------ -----...

How to operate when the 'system' segment is full ?
Hi when I try to delete and rebuild many tables ,Sometimes it displayed the following error message: SERVER ERROR: "Can't allocate space for object 'syslogs' in database 'master' because the 'system' segment is full. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase the size of the segment." Press <return> to continue. SQL Server message: msg 3639, level 17, state 1 What to do now? I tried to get information about how to ALTER the TABLE (= to get the specific ATLER...

LINQ -- how to do where x in ('a', 'b','c')
How do I write a LINQ expression that does the following: select * from SomeTable where SomeColumn in ('a', 'b','c')  Jay There is no IN operator in LINQ (yet), but you can use Contains instead: http://www.devauthority.com/blogs/jwooley/archive/2007/08/06/69922.aspx Jos...

Web resources about - 'default' segment is full/has no free extents - sybase.ase.nt