Dump & Load (DB Migration from ASE 12.5 to ASE 15)

Dear All,

What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump &
Load Migrations from Windows to Linux.

We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me
have expert views.

Does Linux supports RAW Devices ?

Regards
KRV

sybase.ase.linux 1395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

K.R.V wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> What are the important points we need to take care while performing Dump &
> Load Migrations from Windows to Linux.
>
> We need to ensure logins, users, roles, and device fragments. Pleaes let me
> have expert views.

In the past, I've bcp'd the syslogins, sysusers, sysloginroles, sysroles
from Windows using character mode "-c" with no troubles.

Recently I have heard reports where the passwords in syslogins weren't
being read correctly on the linux box.  This is unconfirmed at the moment.

Device fragments and database devices should be recreated on the new
system using disk init and create database commands.

> Does Linux supports RAW Devices ?

yes.

--
Jason L. Froebe
http://jfroebe.livejournal.com

problems loading ASE 12.5 dump into ASE 15.0 DB
I'm having problems loading a 12.5 database dump into a 15.0 database. On the 12.5 database I do the following: dump database xxxxxx to "c:\temp\xxxxxxxxx.bkp" go Then on the 15.0 database I load the database: load database xxxxxx from "c:\temp\xxxxxxxxx.bkp" go The first strange thing here is the following: ---------------------------------------------------------- Jun 09 12:31:19 2006: Backup Server: 4.188.1.1: Database xxxxxxxxx: 655484 kilobytes (58%) LOADed. Jun 09 12:31:20 2006: Backup Server: 3.42.1.1: LOAD is complete (database xxxxxxxxxxx). ...

Hello, When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3 server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find that the table_ID's are different(newly created), but no mapping exist to the old table id's used. So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated. SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists. It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile all.. Any ideas, please let me know Liz > Hello, > > When...

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common errors / issues). I noticed that some have run into errors after the upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s). So this sparked a few questions... 1) Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors and issues than ...

Dump on ASE 12.5.2 and Load on ASE 12.5.3
Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? It is possible to dump a database in 12.5.2 and load it onto 12.5.3. -bret Leandro wrote: > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and > later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? I recently dumped from 12.0 & loaded to 12.5, was pleasantly surprised the load process upgraded the database automatically. <Leandro> wrote in message news:425d7e31.7943.1681692777@sybase.com... > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12...

dump/load from ASE 12.5.1 Tru64 to ASE 12.5 HPUX
Hi evrybody, Do you know if there is a way to load on ASE 12.5.1 HP-UX a dump from ASE 12.5.1 Tru64 ? or a dump from ASE 12.5.1 linux RHEL3 ? nb: support send me a patch 12.5..3 only for backupserver on Tru64 with the one I can make dump from Tru64 12.5.1 to linux 12.51. Thank you. Cecile D. 12.5.3 provides for database dump and loads across platforms with different OS and/or hardware (ie, different endianess). However, there are a few prerequisites ... see the 'New Features' manual for 12.5.3 for details about dumping and loading between different OS/hardware pl...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration
I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of additional data space !! Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB) ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data space. ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to ad...

Logins + passwords when migrating from ASE 12.5.4/Linux x86 32bit to ASE 15.0.3/Solaris SPARC 64bit
Hi, I'd like to migrate one of our databases from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15. Source server is running on Linux x86 32bit, target server is Solaris SPARC 64bit. Cross-plattform dump and load works fine. The problem arises with logins/passwords. I've copied the contents of syslogins from the old server to the new one, but I can't log in using one of the manually migrated logins. Checking syslogins, I noticed that the password hashes on ASE 15 look different. Old hashes are just 60 characters long, the new ones 84 characters. According to Michael Peppler's ASE on Linux FAQ...

Same machine: ASE 12.5.3 Linux vs ASE 12.5.3 Windows
We had a report from one of our clients recently that our Sybase ASE-based app was running slowly on their new Linux box. As we develop internally against ASE on Windows we thought it would be an interesting test to install both the Windows and Linux flavors of ASE 12.5.3 onto the same server and look at the relative performance. We used a Dell PowerEdge 1950 with 2 x Intel Xeon 3.73GHz dual core processors. On one drive we put SuSE Enterprise Linux Server 10 x86-64, and on the other we put Windows Server 2003 Std R2 64-bit edition. Both were fresh-off-the-CD OS installs. ...

Migration from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hello I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point me to some documentation on the subject? I am particularly interested in documents that explain the best way to migrate database objects (tables, indexes, etc...) and data. Thanks in advance. Jorge Vergara Sispro S.A. Canoas - RS - Brasil jlvergara@sispro.com.br wrote... > Hello > > I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point > me to some documentation on the subject? > I am particularly interested in documents that explain the b...

Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4 or ASE 12.5.3 for Linux?
Hi, all : I want to get the ASE12.5.4(DE) for Linux; but In the sybase.com,just have ASE 15.0.3 for download. Now, Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4(DE or XE) for Linux? Thank you! ----------------- Best Regards! On May 22, 6:10 pm, "Killwind" <killwin...@sina.com> wrote: > Hi, all : > I want to get the ASE12.5.4(DE) for Linux; > but In the sybase.com,just have ASE 15.0.3 for download. > Now, Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4(DE or XE) for Linux? Go to www.sybase.com -- in the upper-right-hand corner is a "Search" box. Search for...

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

ASE 12.5 to ASE 12.5.3
One of our client is having 3 no license for ASE 12.5 on Win2K (running 3 production servers) and not in the support/AMC with Sybase.. is client eligible to use ASE 12.5.3 ? Thanks KRV ...

Web resources about - Dump & Load (DB Migration from ASE 12.5 to ASE 15) - sybase.ase.linux

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pope Francis urges review of migration laws to welcome refugees
... and indifferent to the tragedies facing humanity. Vatican City: Pope Francis on Tuesday called on countries to review their laws on migration ...

Paris deal considers climate change role in mass migration
Global warming has already contributed to the the large-scale displacement of people that has been an ominous, politically sensitive undercurrent ...

Security is a major concern for cloud migrations
... Moreover, 40 percent worry about the loss of physical control over data in the cloud. In particular, 69 percent of companies fear migration ...

Merkel-Enhanced Migration Problem: Million Refugees Hit Europe, 80% Through Greece by Boat; Turkish Mafia ...
... So why isn't anything concrete being done? Why the Problem Is Not Fixed If Turkey, Greece, or Germany really wanted to solve the migration ...

Website migration guide: building an SEO checklist for moving your site
... in other countries also which makes it vital that it’s as easy as possible to present users with the correct version. Combining a site migration ...

It’s Official: Migration Into Europe Hits WWII Levels
It’s Official: Migration Into Europe Hits WWII Levels

IBM Nabs Giant Eagle Cloud Migration Deal
IBM can now count Giant Eagle among its growing list of cloud customers, as Big Blue works to overhaul the supermarket chain's IT operations. ...

Questions and answers about Europe's migration crisis as 2015 arrivals top 1 million
One million — and counting. BRUSSELS – One million — and counting. The International Organization for Migration says its statistics show the ...

Is Migration a Basic Human Right?
The latest Freakonomics radio podcast grapples with the question Is Migration a Basic Human Right? ( itunes ) As usual, Stephen Dubner and his ...