ASE 64 bit AMD 64 Xeon 32 bit and Support

Got a question for the experts.

We are looking at moving to Linux RH ES 3 or 4 for our production and
backup databases.

We have been running ASE on Linux as our development database for a couple
of years with out any troubles. Currently ASE SBE on RHES 3.

Question #1:

I noticed ASE has a "released" status for AMD 64. What type of support
does Sybase provide for released vs certified. I would not want our
support contract to be useless if we run the 64 bit version.

Question #2:

Our backup server would be a 32 bit Xeon based machine. Any
troubles/pitfalls doing a nightly load of the production database going 64
bit to 32 bit word size? I know cross platform dumps are supported in the
latest release(12.5.3) of Sybase.

Question #3:

Any time frame for versions of ASE Certified/Released on Redhat ES 4? I
would like to use 4 if possible.

Some
8/2/2005 5:15:41 AM
sybase.ase.linux 1395 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:15:41 -0700, Some User wrote:

> Got a question for the experts.
>
> We are looking at moving to Linux RH ES 3 or 4 for our production and
> backup databases.
>
> We have been running ASE on Linux as our development database for a couple
> of years with out any troubles. Currently ASE SBE on RHES 3.
>

> Question #2:
>
> Our backup server would be a 32 bit Xeon based machine. Any
> troubles/pitfalls doing a nightly load of the production database going 64
> bit to 32 bit word size? I know cross platform dumps are supported in the
> latest release(12.5.3) of Sybase.

I'm pretty sure that the  database dumps are in any case compatible
between these two platforms. Certainly db dumps have always been feasible
between 32bit and 64bit versions on other platforms (solaris, HP-UX, AIX)
so unless the endian-ness is different between AMD64 and x86 (which I very
much doubt) this should work fine.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler [TeamSybase] mpeppler@peppler.org - http://www.peppler.org/
Sybase DBA/Developer

Michael
8/2/2005 5:19:45 AM
> Question #1:
>
> I noticed ASE has a "released" status for AMD 64. What type of support
> does Sybase provide for released vs certified. I would not want our
> support contract to be useless if we run the 64 bit version.

"Released" means that this is the platform we have compiled the product on,
its "native" platform if you will.  For example, 32-bit 12.5.x is released
on RH 7.2 and certified on 2.1, 3.0, etc.  ASE for Solaris is released on
Solaris 8 and certified on Sol 9 and Sol 10.  Released and certified
essentially mean the same thing when it comes to receiving support from
Sybase.

> Question #2:
>
> Our backup server would be a 32 bit Xeon based machine. Any
> troubles/pitfalls doing a nightly load of the production database going 64
> bit to 32 bit word size? I know cross platform dumps are supported in the
> latest release(12.5.3) of Sybase.

Last I checked our backupserver binaries are always 32-bit, even if you have
64-bit ASE, so this shouldn't be an issue at all.

> Question #3:
>
> Any time frame for versions of ASE Certified/Released on Redhat ES 4? I
> would like to use 4 if possible.

I've queried the program manager in charge of certifications.

-Dave

"Some User" <someuser@someplace.com> wrote in message
> Got a question for the experts.
>
> We are looking at moving to Linux RH ES 3 or 4 for our production and
> backup databases.
>
> We have been running ASE on Linux as our development database for a couple
> of years with out any troubles. Currently ASE SBE on RHES 3.
>
> Question #1:
>
> I noticed ASE has a "released" status for AMD 64. What type of support
> does Sybase provide for released vs certified. I would not want our
> support contract to be useless if we run the 64 bit version.
>
> Question #2:
>
> Our backup server would be a 32 bit Xeon based machine. Any
> troubles/pitfalls doing a nightly load of the production database going 64
> bit to 32 bit word size? I know cross platform dumps are supported in the
> latest release(12.5.3) of Sybase.
>
> Question #3:
>
> Any time frame for versions of ASE Certified/Released on Redhat ES 4? I
> would like to use 4 if possible.
>
> Thanks

0
David

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

Building 64 bit Python against 32 bit ASE on 64-bit Linux
I've been using various version of SYBASE=/usr/local/packages/sybase* to no avail. They all are giving me errors lated to "libblk". any ideas? /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/local/packages/sybase_OLD/lib/libblk.a when searching for -lblk If possible could you CC mrogish at tigr dot org since I am using the Sybase.com forums reader and it is difficult to bookmark this thread. Thanks!!! -- Matt Rogish cronus:/local/src/Linux64/python/modules/sybase-0.37 # /usr/local/packages/python64-2.4.2/bin/python setup.py build running build running build_py c...

dump and load from 64-bit Solaris/32-bit ASE .. to .. AMD64/32-bit ASE
Will a cross-platform load be done by Sybase ASE if the dump was made from 64-bit Solaris9 / 32-bit ASE and the load database is to be done on AMD64 / 32-bit ASE ?? What about from 64-bit Solaris9 / 32-bit ASE .. to AMD64 / 64-bit ASE ?? On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 17:27:19 -0700, Jesus M. Salvo Jr. wrote: > > Will a cross-platform load be done by Sybase ASE if the dump was made from > 64-bit Solaris9 / 32-bit ASE and the load database is to be done on AMD64 > / 32-bit ASE ?? > > What about from 64-bit Solaris9 / 32-bit ASE .. to AMD64 / 64-bit ASE ?? Yes, tha...

32-bit ASE 12.5.x on 64-bit Solaris9 or 64-bit Solaris10
manuals.sybase.com does not mention anything about Solaris9/10. It only mentions about required patches for Solaris8. Does Sybase support 32-bit ASE 12.5.x on 64-bit Solaris9 or 64-bit Solaris10 ( SPARCs of course )? Any specific OS patches required for Sol9/10 ? ...

Performance advantage of ASE 64 Bit over ASE 32 Bit version
Hi Folks, Is any there any performance gains when using ASE 64 bit versus ASE 32 bit version like larger memory gains hence good performance? Thanks Jayesh The more memory , the more data you can cache, the better performance. <Jayesh> wrote in message news:4460bb13.194c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi Folks, > > Is any there any performance gains when using ASE 64 bit > versus ASE 32 bit version like larger memory gains hence > good performance? > > > Thanks > Jayesh > The more memory , the more data you can cache, the better...

Advantages of 64-bit ASE 12.5 over 32-bit ASE 12.5
What are the advantages of 64-bit Server over 32-bit server ? We are thinking of upgrading our servers from 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to ASE 12.5, But we are stuck while taking a decision about 32-bit or 64-bit. Management wants to know why do we have to go 64-bit while the 32-bit works fine. Thanks RK This document is an FAQ on ASE 64-bit and may be of help: http://www/detail/1,6904,1012280,00.html The only real advantage is the ability to assign a larger amount of memory to ASE, thereby allowing for larger data caches and reduced physical io. HTH, Dave <rk> wrote ...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

Migration from ASE 12.0 32 bit to ASE 12.x 64 bit
Pundits one and all, We are looking closely at migrating from ASE 12.0.0.4 ESD#2 32 bit on a Solaris platform to 64 bit ASE. Notwithstanding improvements in ASE 12.5 that may benefit us, the main driver is to take maximum advantage of the 16G physical memory on the host. Simplistically we could either ... a) convert to 64 bit ASE 12.0 (as phase 1), then convert to ASE 12.5 64 bit (as phase 2) at a later date, or b) convert to 32 bit ASE 12.5 (as phase 1), then convert at 64 bit after gaining confidence in the version change, c) convert to 64 bit ASE 12.5 in one fell swoop to m...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

Difference on ASE-12 32-bit & 64-bit on IBM AIX SP-64 machine
Hello, I would like to get more information for ASE-12 upgrade on IBM AIX SP-64 machine. What is the different between ebf9311 (32-bit) and ebf9312 (64-bit) on ASE-12? Are they compatible for IBM SP-64 machine. If just install 32-bit version, what will be suffered than install 64-bit version? Elsa Elsa wrote: > I would like to get more information for ASE-12 upgrade on IBM AIX SP-64 > machine. What is the different between ebf9311 (32-bit) and ebf9312 (64-bit) > on ASE-12? The EBFs are related to the version. If you have ASE 12 (32 bit version), you n...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

Can I use ASE 12.5.2 64-bit license on an ASE 12.5.2 32-bit install
I want to install sybase ASE 12.5.2 on my machine (2GB of memory) but my license certificate has a 64 bit license only. Can I use the 64-bit license on my 32 bit ASE 12.5.2 installation? thanks Gemma No you cannot > I want to install sybase ASE 12.5.2 on my machine (2GB of > memory) but my license certificate has a 64 bit license > only. > > Can I use the 64-bit license on my 32 bit ASE 12.5.2 > installation? > > thanks > Gemma ...

solaris 32 bit
i have solaris version - "SunOS soln1 5.10 Generic_118855-33 i86pc i386 i86pc" 1. can i install "ASE 15.0 Solaris 64-bit Server" for testing? 2. does anyone have links to download ASE Solaris 32-bit 12.5+ / 15 version? Raju wrote: > > i have solaris version - > "SunOS soln1 5.10 Generic_118855-33 i86pc i386 i86pc" > > 1. can i install "ASE 15.0 Solaris 64-bit Server" for > testing? If its the Solaris x64 version. > 2. does anyone have links to download ASE Solaris 32-bit > 12.5+ / 15 version? Have you ...

Web resources about - ASE 64 bit AMD 64 Xeon 32 bit and Support - sybase.ase.linux

Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AFCESA began as the Civil Engineer Construction Operations Group at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base , Ohio in 1966. Two years later, the new ...

NPR One for iOS updated with CarPlay support, bug fixes
The NPR One app for iOS has been updated today with support for Apple’s in-car infotainment system CarPlay. The update bumps the app to version ...

Facebook Adds Android Tor Support via Orbot Proxy App
Facebook expanded the options available to its security-conscious users who connect via Tor , announcing that it now supports the Orbot proxy ...

Ted Cruz doesn’t just support the death penalty, he loves it
... defending the idea that if you kill someone, the state should be allowed to kill you back. Never mind that none of the actual arguments supporting ...

Silicon Motion at CES: 3D NAND support for SM2246EN and roadmap update
... and will be rolling out their third generation of it this year). Silicon Motion has updated their firmware for the SM2246EN controller to support ...

Impossible Road gets a great update adding 3D Touch support and more
... when trying to move through bends, jumps, curves, and a lot more. 3D Touch enabled Most importantly, the update brings full 3D Touch support. ...

Warner Bros. ignores PC players, drops Windows support for Mortal Kombat X
Shown here: Owners of the PC version of Mortal Kombat X While versions of many Mortal Kombat games have come to the PC over the years, the series ...

Mark Ruffalo supports the Oscar boycott but he’s still going to the Oscars this year
... very showy – I think Mark Ruffalo’s nomination was a good call. He was easily the best part of the film. He’ll likely attend the SAGs to support ...

Lagarde wins support for 2nd term as IMF boss
George Osborne said he will nominate Christine Lagarde for a second term as managing director of the International Monetary Fund.

GOP Senator: I’d Support Sanders Over Cruz In General Election
'I'm talking about people as conservative as he is who just can't stand him'