SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM ) - error?

Hi,

In application we generate very effective SQL statements that are
understandable by MS SQL Server and Oracle but give syntax errors on Sybase.
I am talking about SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM a_table). For example:

select 1 from (select abc_id from abc)

or

select 1 from (select abc_id from abc union all select abc_id from bcd)

Is there any way to overcome this limitation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Leonid Borisov

Tefensoft

0
Leonid

On Wed, 15 May 2002 02:09:52 -0700, Leonid Borisov wrote:

> Hi,
>

> In application we generate very effective SQL statements that are
> understandable by MS SQL Server and Oracle but give syntax errors on
> Sybase. I am talking about SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM a_table). For
> example:
>

> select 1 from (select abc_id from abc)

Not directly - but isn't that the same as an EXIST test?

Something like

select 1 where exists (select ... from ...)

should return the same information.

Michael
mpeppler@peppler.org           *or*          mpeppler@mbay.net
http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler
International Sybase User Group: http://www.isug.com
0
Michael
5/15/2002 2:16:38 PM
"Leonid Borisov" <leo@tefensoft.co.il> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> In application we generate very effective SQL statements that are
> understandable by MS SQL Server and Oracle but give syntax errors on
Sybase.
> I am talking about SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM a_table). For
example:

Sybase doesn't support 'in-line views' however as Michael followed up,
seems like you don't need that, just an EXISTS clause.
--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo@hpdbe.com

0
Pablo
5/15/2002 2:44:20 PM
Leonia,

In general you have to create view, for your 2-nd example only in 12.5.
Sybase still does not support that syntax.

HTH,
Eugene

Leonid Borisov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In application we generate very effective SQL statements that are
> understandable by MS SQL Server and Oracle but give syntax errors on Sybase.
> I am talking about SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM a_table). For example:
>
> select 1 from (select abc_id from abc)
>
> or
>
> select 1 from (select abc_id from abc union all select abc_id from bcd)
>
> Is there any way to overcome this limitation?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Leonid Borisov
>
> Tefensoft

0
Eugene

SELECT from SELECT
Hi! I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested select, but I cannot seem to make it work. So it would be something like this: select max( name ) from ( select name from customer union select name from vendor ) Was I dreaming I saw that? Thanks! D In article <4500243f@forums-2-dub>, daniel_AT_infrontsoftware_DOT_com@N0SPAM.com says... > Hi! > > I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested > select, but I cannot seem to make it work. No, you weren't. Try (UNTESTED!) adding a...

Why is the select saying selected after an item is selected?
This was a whitelisting issue due to a software upgrade at hostgator..  Nothing wrong with my code..Scot King SEO Software Tool | Search Engine Optimization"Get your page rank high"  huh? It is smart to put your question in the body and not just in the title. Have no idea what your question is or if it even a question.Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn use thisddl.options[ddl.selectedIndex].selected = false; //Clear the selection ddl.options[1].selected = trueMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Sit...

insert select and select into
Hello, I am using temp tables to generate a report. I created most of the temp tables and then use insert select. I found for one, when I use insert select, I get a different query plan than if I use select into. The select into get a much better performance. The problem is I get dead locks on the statement. Is there anything I can do to change this behavior? Thanks, Josh Manfred ...

Select option selection
I'm created a gridview of websites, in one column, and use the gridview's 'selection' featue in the next column. When I click the 'selection' link I tried to get the website by using: Dim key As String = grvPrivacy.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(1).Text but it said it was not part of the webcontrol for selection. How do I get cell so that I can read it? thanks   Looks like your grabbing the select option and not the first cell  try  Dim key As String = grvPrivacy.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(0).TextwerD, MCSD VB.Net Hi, gmcghee: There are several ways...

select in the select statement
Hi, I am trying to add another select statement in my original/outer/overall select statement. Something like: Select 1, 2, 3 = (Select # from Table1 Where....) From Table 2 Where.... Does anyone know the standard way to write this or is there any other alternative that can perform the same behavior. Much thanks!! Kenny That's database dependent. In oracle you would use: select A.* from ( select * from mytable) A -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase "Kenny Tran" <...

Bug in SELECT from SELECT ?
I have a table intwb_items CREATE TABLE intwb_items ( wb_id integer not null, prod_id integer not null, qty numeric(12,5) not null, primary key(wb_id, prod_id) ) How can I obtain sum of 10 greatest "qty"? I tried to execute query: SELECT sum(qty) FROM ( SELECT top 10 qty FROM intwb_items ORDER BY qty DESC )as tmp But it raise error: "Syntax error or access violation: near 'ORDER' in ... FROM intwb_items [ORDER]" The same query but without "ORDER BY" works perfectly, but "TOP N" without "ORDE...

Select in the select clause
How to use another select clause within a select clause itself. Like; select col1,col2,(select colx from table b) from table a . The above statement is throwing syntax error Thanks, Anandkumar B CGVAK Software & Exports Ltd. ( 0422 2434491/92 http://www.cgvakindia.com "anand_group" <anand@cgvakindia.com> wrote: > How to use another select clause within a select clause itself. > Like; > select col1,col2,(select colx from table b) from table a . > The above statement is throwing syntax error Ensure that subquery returns only one row. And...

dynamically populating a select box depending upon selections in another select box
Dear sir, I am trying to populate a select box depending on multiple selections in another select box. I find the dependent select box does not populate at all. while it does populate if the parent select box is a single election box and not multiple. i want to use javascript so that for population i do not have to go to the server. I am using onchange event to execute the function.  Some one please help. pcg Could you post your code?jameswrightwww.jwright.info"Never be so busy making a living that you forget to make a life." Relevent code is given below please. Pa...

Second SELECT-box doesn't show the selected value as SELECTED
Hi! I usually find what I look for in the other threads, but now I've spent two weeks searching and I still can't work this out, even though I'm sure the solution is easy:( Why doesn't my second dropdown-list show the selected value Arb (which shows in the url-window as for example myPage.asp?Ar=1976&Arb=1987) as selected? It manages to use the Ar-variable for the first SELECT-box, but the second box always has the first querystring-value selected, as if Arb="". I've also tried using a second sql-query, doing exactly as with the first SELECT-box, without success. Is ...

DROPDOWNLIST DOES NOT SELECT THE SELECTED VALUE
Hi all, i am using C# , asp.net vs2005. ajax 1.0 i am populating data programitically . when i select first value, dropdown control select the same. when i select second value ,dropdownlist select second value too But i does not continue  from third value onward . when i select third value, dropdownlist control select second value then after behavior reman the same no matter what i select dropdownlist control select second value ONLY.<asp:DropDownList id="Ddlzse" runat="server" Width="165px" Font-Bold="False" Fo...

Accessing the selected value from a Select
Need to access the selected value from a Select in client script.  I can get the selectedIndex but where do I find the selected value? Will this give it to me? form1.Select1.Options(form1.Select1.SelectedIndex)   form1.Select1.options[form1.Select1.selectedIndex] Try form1.Select1.options[form1.Select1.selectedIndex].value> penny for a thought...

select into vs insert/select
I am looking for ways to speed up a procedure, which as a part of an overnight processing is called about 3000 times. The procedure begins by inserting about 20 rows into a temp table created outside of the proc. I thought that this may be better done by a select into statement because it is minimally logged etc. I am running the two versions of the statement (insert/select and select into) 2700 times on a quiet server and it seems that the insert/select is a bit faster, a second or two. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Is it my assumption about select into being fas...

Select into vs. insert ... select ...
Hello, I am using temp tables to generate a report. I created most of the temp tables and then use insert select. I found for one that when I use insert select I get a different query plan that if I use select into. The select into get a much better performance. The problem is I get dead lock on the statement. Is there anything I can do to change this behavior? Thanks, Josh Manfred SELECT INTO #temp is a non-logged operation. This can provide a performance increase. However, one downside is that you may end up with a lot of contention on system tables. (I didn...

SELECT * vs. SELECT 1
I have always understood that when using the WHERE EXISTS clause, one codes it as WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM .....). Lately, I've been told that performance is better if the it's coded as ...(SELECT 1 FROM ...) (or SELECT '' .. - that is, to select some literal). Everything I've read says that SELECT * is used with EXISTS because there's no result set returned - it only evaluates into true or false. I'm now curious - is there an advantage to writing SELECT 1 instead of SELECT * with EXISTS? If so, how much of an advantage, & why do all of the SQL b...

Multi-select ListBox and Select All
Hi,I'm having an issue with some JS code for IE6 (no need for x-browser) and multi-select listbox.I'm trying to implement a Select All button.Current code is : function SelectAll(obj){ for (var i = 0; i < obj.options.length; i++) { obj.options[i].selected = true; } } which logically seems to work.  The problem I have is that this does not seem to work until I click the multi-select again.  It seems that although the options are marked as selected, the screen does not update to reflect this until something triggers it (in this case trying to click in ...

Web resources about - SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM ) - error? - sybase.ase.general

United States House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming - Wikipedia, the free ...
but will work with the House standing committees with jurisdiction over climate change issues and develop recommendations on legislative proposals. ...

kotaku selects
Kotaku Selects

Facebook Testing ‘Select Ad Variations To Generate’ Option In Power Editor?
Facebook appears to be testing a new feature in Power Editor that allows users to more easily test different versions of their ads. continued… ...

Select Apple Stores offering $50 discount on iPhone + Apple Watch purchases, but may not be best deal ...
... Watch Sports when bought with new iPhones, MacRumors notes. Not only is the promo not available online but it’s also being offered in select ...

Seventh Generation Selects 72andSunny After Review
Seventh Generation has named 72andSunny, New York, to lead strategy and brand development for its home and personal care products following a ...

T-Mobile Offers $100 Discount On Select Smartphones
There’s no denying the fact that a number of people are waiting for the two biggest sales on the planet—Black Friday and Cyber Monday. As a matter ...

BMW selects two artists to create M6 GT3 art cars
Filed under: Design/Style , Motorsports , BMW , Coupe , Performance , Racing Artists Cao Fei and John Baldessari will create the 18th and 19th ...

Cisco Selects Netformx Discovery to Power New Net Authenticate Assessment Service
Cisco Selects Netformx Discovery to Power New Net Authenticate Assessment Service Business Wire (press release) SAN JOSE, Calif.(BUSINESS WIRE)Netformx®, ...

Best Buy to hold pre-Black Friday sale this Saturday at select locations
... from Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Fitbit and many others. Best Buy will hold a special pre-Black Friday sale for one day only this weekend. Select ...

Boehner's Last Stand: New Select Committee To Investigate Planned Parenthood
The other select committee has worked out so well for them, and their interrogation of Cecile Richards went swimmingly, too. It stands to reason ...