Migration to MSSQL - connecting to clipper

Is there a way for MSSQL to "talk" with a clipper application?

I have an old application in Clipper that is working connected to a sybase
ASE 11.5 server, I'd like to change the database to MSSQL server.
Now they use the following files of sybase for the connect:
DBNOVSPX.EXE, RMINETI.EXE, OPENSQL

Any body knows how to connect to MSSQL?

0
Chedva

Why are you going to MSSQL? Have you considered a newer version of ASE?

Chedva wrote:

> Is there a way for MSSQL to "talk" with a clipper application?
>
> I have an old application in Clipper that is working connected to a sybase
> ASE 11.5 server, I'd like to change the database to MSSQL server.
> Now they use the following files of sybase for the connect:
> DBNOVSPX.EXE, RMINETI.EXE, OPENSQL
>
> Any body knows how to connect to MSSQL?

0
Eric
1/15/2003 6:02:28 PM
chedvag@matrix-it.co.il wrote...
> Is there a way for MSSQL to "talk" with a clipper application?
>
> I have an old application in Clipper that is working connected to a sybase
> ASE 11.5 server, I'd like to change the database to MSSQL server.
> Now they use the following files of sybase for the connect:
> DBNOVSPX.EXE, RMINETI.EXE, OPENSQL
>
> Any body knows how to connect to MSSQL?

It isn't quite fair of you to ask about Microsoft products in a Sybase newsgroup.  However,
I did use the Clipper to SQL Server connectivity tool you are using.  But it was a LONG
time ago.  At one time it did connect to both Sybase SQL Server and Microsoft SQL Server.
However, Microsoft has changed their connectivity enough that it is unlikely that you will
be able to connect directly to it.

However, Sybase can help you out.  There is a product called EnterpriseConnect.  It can
connect to a variety of backend databases while serving as a front end for existing
applications.  To the applications it simply looks like a normal Sybase database server.

I have used it for an application that was unable to directly connect to Informix but could
connect to Sybase ASE just fine.  For more information go to:
http://www.sybase.com/products/middleware/enterpriseconnectdataaccess
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]

0
Jim

migration of trigger mssql for ase express
I have to trigger bred in the ERWIN for MSSQL, converting for SYBASE it returns me the code from trigger to follow that it does not function. create trigger tU_acessos_grupos on acessos_grupos for UPDATE as begin declare @numrows int, @nullcnt int, @validcnt int, @errno int, @errmsg varchar(255) select @numrows = @@rowcount if update(cod_menu) or update(sistema) or update(grupo) begin declare @inscod_menu varchar(30), @inssistema int, @insgrupo int, @delcod_menu varchar(30), @delsistema int, @delgrupo int declare ci_tU_acessos_grupos cursor...

Problem with migrating data from MSSQL to ASE
We have been encoutering a serious problem when trying to migrate data from MSSQL 2000 tables to ASE 12.5 (with the latest EBF applied). All of the tables we have problems with have one or more text coulums or one or more varchar columns with a length more than 2000(?). We have tried the following methods to trasfer the data but so far have not been successful. 1. MSSQL's DTS We use ASE OLE DB as the interface to the ASE server. The behaviour of a problematic DTS package can be quite temperamental. It stops at a different point each time it is executed. While one time it may s...

ASE Migration From ASE 11.5.1 (NT) to ASE 12.9 on Win2003.
Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on above subject? Thank you. ASE 12.9? Currently, no released versions of ASE are certified on Win 2003. ASE 12.5.1 will be certified when it is released later this year. Mark Kusma <Lily Maria> wrote in message news:3f497cad.367e.846930886@sybase.com... > Need help to find Sybase's upgrade and migration docs on > above subject? > Thank you. Thanks for the info. I would like to know if there's any online documentation on migration and upgrade plan of the ASE 11.5.1 to ASE 12.5.1? Do applica...

migrate ase nt to ase linux
what is the fastest way to do the data transfer ? is there any specify data folders like in mysql that i can just copy over? Dump and load the database. -bret j wrote: > what is the fastest way to do the data transfer ? is there any specify data > folders like in mysql that i can just copy over? ...

Passwords migration from ASE on NT to ASE on Unix
We are migrating our ASE servers from NT to Unix and trying to keep the logins and passwords, but it seems like is not posible across platforms (from NT to Unix). I was able to copy the syslogins data from a NT ASE server to another ASE NT server, but when I tried from Nt to Unix didn't work. Does someone know if there is a way to do it? Sergio No, the encryption is different on the two platforms. -bret Sergio.Nava wrote: > We are migrating our ASE servers from NT to Unix and trying to keep the > logins and passwords, but it seems like is not posible across...

Migration to ASE 12 from ASE 11.5
Hi all, Has anyone out there perormed a migration from ASE 11.5.1.1 to ASE 12 on NT. If so I would be greatful if you could provide information on the following 1. Ease of migration and any issues encountered. 2. Sizes of databases migrated 3. Adopted migration plans - I could not find anything on the Sybase web site. 4. Experiences on ASE 12. Thanking you in advance Puvendran Hi, Yes, I have performed a migration from both v11.5.1 to v12 and from v11.9.2.1 to 12. I have put my responses below each of your questions. -- Andy Price, Sybase Certified Adapt...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration
I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of additional data space !! Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB) ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data space. ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to ad...

Migration from ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hello I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point me to some documentation on the subject? I am particularly interested in documents that explain the best way to migrate database objects (tables, indexes, etc...) and data. Thanks in advance. Jorge Vergara Sispro S.A. Canoas - RS - Brasil jlvergara@sispro.com.br wrote... > Hello > > I am planning the migration from Sybase 11.5 to 12.5. Can someone point > me to some documentation on the subject? > I am particularly interested in documents that explain the b...

Migrating to ASE
It is good to know that Sybase is providing tools ( Power Transfer & Power Designer ) that comes automatically in ASE 12.5.1 under Open Client. This would help customers to migrate to ASE database from most of other vendor type databases or ASE to ASE cross platform databases. As I was going through the documents it looks very impressive. Can anybody give feedback about his migration experience using 'Power Transfer'. Thanks, Sid. ...

To migrate or not to migrate...
I am currently working on a project that is written in PHP...  Very poorly.  I have to do a complete re-write.  I can code in either language, so I am trying to determine if I should convert to .Net or not. Is one really any more scalable than the other?  Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the compiled code and the interpreted code? Is there a list of large, high-volume, commercial web sites (other than MS, of course) that run on .NET? Thanks. J  >Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the compiled code and the inte...

Migrating to ASE
Hi, We have developed a plugin to PowerDesigner that we call PowerTransfer. PowerDesigner will let you transfer a schema from one database to another, and the PowerTransfer plugin will then let you transfer data from the source table(s) to the target tables in ASE. This plugin is a free download from the Sybase Developer Network, but you first need PowerDesigner 9.5.1. http://www.sybase.com/detail/1,6904,1023683,00.html Regards, Steve Folks, Will this work with the 9.5.2 trial version of PowerDesigner? Thanks, > Hi, > > We have developed a plugin t...

What generals generally do

ASE and ASE

ASE to ASE

ASE to MSSQL
I trying to add remote MSSQL Server using : >exec sp_addserver MSSQL, direct_connect, MSSQL >go >connect to MSSQL >go But in SQL Server errorlog i read : .... Connection opened but invalid login packet(s) sent. Connection closed.. Error: 17832, Severity: 20, State: 7 .... Lazar, Have you created an external login for MSSQL? Is MSSQL DirectCONNECT Anywhere (direct_connect server class), or is it MS SQL Server? If the latter what version? If it is MS SQL Server version 7 then DirectCONNECT Anywhere is required between ASE and MS SQL Server. Gordon Lazar...

Web resources about - Migration to MSSQL - connecting to clipper - sybase.ase.general

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...

resources last updated: 11/20/2015 11:13:20 AM