Installing ASE

We downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When setup.exe is
clicked, it says its starting the Studio Installation in a
command window, however when the command window disappears
nothing else happens.

Our Environment:

Windows 2003 Server, 120 Evaluation with latest Microsoft
Service Packs.
0
jmueller

You are most likely hitting the Java / Pentium 4 issue. See this techdoc:
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013241

Mark Kusma
http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices

<jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> We downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When setup.exe is
> clicked, it says its starting the Studio Installation in a
> command window, however when the command window disappears
> nothing else happens.
>
> Our Environment:
>
> Windows 2003 Server, 120 Evaluation with latest Microsoft
> Service Packs.

0
Mark
7/7/2005 5:05:35 PM
Our hardware is an Intel Xeon 1.5 with 512 MB of RAM.  Would
this still apply?

> You are most likely hitting the Java / Pentium 4 issue.
> See this techdoc:  http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013241
>
> Mark Kusma
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>

> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > We downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When
> > setup.exe is clicked, it says its starting the Studio
> > Installation in a command window, however when the
> > command window disappears nothing else happens.
> >
> > Our Environment:
> >
> > Windows 2003 Server, 120 Evaluation with latest
> > Microsoft Service Packs.

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 5:12:51 PM
Mark, it appears it does.  We'll try to apply the patches
and update this post.  Thanks for your help!

> Our hardware is an Intel Xeon 1.5 with 512 MB of RAM.
> Would this still apply?
>
> > You are most likely hitting the Java / Pentium 4 issue.
> > See this techdoc:
> http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013241 >
> > Mark Kusma
> > http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
> >

> > <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > > We downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When
> > > setup.exe is clicked, it says its starting the Studio
> > > Installation in a command window, however when the
> > > command window disappears nothing else happens.
> > >
> > > Our Environment:
> > >
> > > Windows 2003 Server, 120 Evaluation with latest
> > > Microsoft Service Packs.

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 5:17:01 PM
We installed JRE 1.2 and now we receive java.exe encountered
an error and will now close (Microsoft crash screen).

What do we do now and is there a fix?

> Mark, it appears it does.  We'll try to apply the patches
> and update this post.  Thanks for your help!
>
> > Our hardware is an Intel Xeon 1.5 with 512 MB of RAM.
> > Would this still apply?
> >
> > > You are most likely hitting the Java / Pentium 4
> > > issue. See this techdoc:
> > http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013241 >
> > > Mark Kusma
> > >
> > http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
> > > >
> > > <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > > happens. >

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 8:31:22 PM
Also, can you help me input the JAVA_COMPILER=NONE line, I
don't seem to understand what the documentation means when
it states Systems control panel.

Thanks.

> We installed JRE 1.2 and now we receive java.exe
> encountered an error and will now close (Microsoft crash
> screen).
>
> What do we do now and is there a fix?
>
> > Mark, it appears it does.  We'll try to apply the
> > patches and update this post.  Thanks for your help!
> >
> > > Our hardware is an Intel Xeon 1.5 with 512 MB of RAM.
> > > Would this still apply?

> > > http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013241 >
> > > >

> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 8:32:46 PM
The problem exists in JRE 1.2, and is fixed in 1.2.2.  Did you try the work
around listed for JRE 1.2 from the techdoc?

Set this environment variable:  JAVA_COMPILER=NONE to disable the Just In
Time (jit) compiler. Downloading the JRE 1.2 from Sun doesn't help since the
Studio Installer is using the JRE supplied with the product.

> We installed JRE 1.2 and now we receive java.exe encountered
> an error and will now close (Microsoft crash screen).
>
> What do we do now and is there a fix?
>
>> Mark, it appears it does.  We'll try to apply the patches
>> and update this post.  Thanks for your help!
>>
>> > Our hardware is an Intel Xeon 1.5 with 512 MB of RAM.
>> > Would this still apply?

>> > http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013241 >
>> > >
>> > http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices

0
Mark
7/7/2005 8:35:55 PM
We found the Java Control Panel, which wasn't located in the
System control panel.

We have disabled JIT, per the check box in the Java Control
Panel, however when the AES installation is ran, the same
issue happens as the 1st post.  The Event Log is still
logging java.exe errors even though JIT is disabled.

> Also, can you help me input the JAVA_COMPILER=NONE line, I
> don't seem to understand what the documentation means when
> it states Systems control panel.
>
> Thanks.
>
> > We installed JRE 1.2 and now we receive java.exe
> > encountered an error and will now close (Microsoft crash
> > screen).
> >
> > What do we do now and is there a fix?
> >
> > > Mark, it appears it does.  We'll try to apply the
> > > patches and update this post.  Thanks for your help!

> > http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 8:38:16 PM
It simply means to add JAVA_COMPILER as an environment variable, and set the
value to NONE.

> Also, can you help me input the JAVA_COMPILER=NONE line, I
> don't seem to understand what the documentation means when
> it states Systems control panel.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> We installed JRE 1.2 and now we receive java.exe
>> encountered an error and will now close (Microsoft crash
>> screen).
>>
>> What do we do now and is there a fix?
>>
>> > Mark, it appears it does.  We'll try to apply the
>> > patches and update this post.  Thanks for your help!

>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >

0
Mark
7/7/2005 8:38:44 PM
Mark --

Anywhere in the registry or in a specific location?  I am
not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting system
environment variables.

> It simply means to add JAVA_COMPILER as an environment
> variable, and set the  value to NONE.
>
> Mark Kusma
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>

> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > Also, can you help me input the JAVA_COMPILER=NONE line,
> > I don't seem to understand what the documentation means
> > when it states Systems control panel.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >> We installed JRE 1.2 and now we receive java.exe
> >> encountered an error and will now close (Microsoft
> crash >> screen).
> >>
> >> What do we do now and is there a fix?

> RAM. >> > > Would this still apply?

> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 8:41:36 PM
I don't have Win 2003, but suspect it will be very similar to this:

Start -> Control Panel -> System
Go to Advanced tab, and there should be a button for Environment Variables.
Click that.
The resulting window will have 2 sections, one for User variables, the other
for System variables.
Click New under the System variables section.
In Variable name, put   JAVA_COMPILER
In Variable value, put    NONE
Click OK, OK, OK (three time should take you all the way out).
Now try starting the Studio Installer.

> Mark --
>
> Anywhere in the registry or in a specific location?  I am
> not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting system
> environment variables.
>
>> It simply means to add JAVA_COMPILER as an environment
>> variable, and set the  value to NONE.
>>
>> Mark Kusma
>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>>

>> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
>> > Also, can you help me input the JAVA_COMPILER=NONE line,
>> > I don't seem to understand what the documentation means
>> > when it states Systems control panel.
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> crash >> screen).

>> RAM. >> > > Would this still apply?

>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >

0
Mark
7/7/2005 8:48:53 PM
That seemed to work, but now everytime the machine is
restarted, the first thing that we see is an error "Java.exe
encountered a problem and will not close (Pretty Microsoft
message for your application is crashing).  When we look at
the event log it states that java.exe has crashed but the
cause is in binary format.

Do you know what would cause this and will it be an issue in
the future?

> I don't have Win 2003, but suspect it will be very similar
> to this:
>
> Start -> Control Panel -> System
> Go to Advanced tab, and there should be a button for
> Environment Variables.  Click that.
> The resulting window will have 2 sections, one for User
> variables, the other  for System variables.
> Click New under the System variables section.
> In Variable name, put   JAVA_COMPILER
> In Variable value, put    NONE
> Click OK, OK, OK (three time should take you all the way
> out). Now try starting the Studio Installer.
>

> Mark Kusma
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>

> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > Mark --
> >
> > Anywhere in the registry or in a specific location?  I
> > am not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting
> > system environment variables.
> >
> >> It simply means to add JAVA_COMPILER as an environment
> >> variable, and set the  value to NONE.
> >>
> >> Mark Kusma
> >>
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
> >> >>
> >> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> line, >> > I don't seem to understand what the
> documentation means >> > when it states Systems control
> panel. >> >

> >> crash >> screen).

> help! >> >> >
> >> RAM. >> > > Would this still apply?

> 4 >> >> > > > issue. See this techdoc:
> >> >> > > >

> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >
> message >> >> > > > >
> news:42cd5e93.672b.1681692777@sybase.com... We >> >> > > >
> > downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When >> >> > > >
> > setup.exe is clicked, it says its starting the >> >> > >
> > > Studio Installation in a command window, however >> >>

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 8:56:23 PM
Mark --

That seemed to work, but now we are receiving an error
everytime the machine boots that states java.exe encountered
an error and will now close.  Will this be an issue later?

Also everytime I post to these newsgroups I have compose my
item several times before it actually gets up there.

> I don't have Win 2003, but suspect it will be very similar
> to this:
>
> Start -> Control Panel -> System
> Go to Advanced tab, and there should be a button for
> Environment Variables.  Click that.
> The resulting window will have 2 sections, one for User
> variables, the other  for System variables.
> Click New under the System variables section.
> In Variable name, put   JAVA_COMPILER
> In Variable value, put    NONE
> Click OK, OK, OK (three time should take you all the way
> out). Now try starting the Studio Installer.
>

> Mark Kusma
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>

> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > Mark --
> >
> > Anywhere in the registry or in a specific location?  I
> > am not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting
> > system environment variables.
> >
> >> It simply means to add JAVA_COMPILER as an environment
> >> variable, and set the  value to NONE.
> >>
> >> Mark Kusma
> >>
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
> >> >>
> >> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> line, >> > I don't seem to understand what the
> documentation means >> > when it states Systems control
> panel. >> >

> >> crash >> screen).

> help! >> >> >
> >> RAM. >> > > Would this still apply?

> 4 >> >> > > > issue. See this techdoc:
> >> >> > > >

> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >
> message >> >> > > > >
> news:42cd5e93.672b.1681692777@sybase.com... We >> >> > > >
> > downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When >> >> > > >
> > setup.exe is clicked, it says its starting the >> >> > >
> > > Studio Installation in a command window, however >> >>

0
jmueller
7/7/2005 8:58:37 PM
As listed in the techdoc, remove the JAVA_COMPILER environment variable once
ASE is installed.

Workaround for shared-1_0 (JRE 1.2)
Follow this procedure:
  1.. Disable the JIT (Just In Time) Compiler, jit, by adding this system
environment variable in the Systems control panel as follows:
JAVA_COMPILER=NONE
  1.. Run Studio Installer and follow the instructions in the installation
guide for your product. Installation guides also are available on the web at
http://www.sybase.com/support/manuals.
  2.. Enable jit by removing the JAVA_COMPILER system environment variable
from the Systems control panel.

> That seemed to work, but now everytime the machine is
> restarted, the first thing that we see is an error "Java.exe
> encountered a problem and will not close (Pretty Microsoft
> message for your application is crashing).  When we look at
> the event log it states that java.exe has crashed but the
> cause is in binary format.
>
> Do you know what would cause this and will it be an issue in
> the future?
>
>> I don't have Win 2003, but suspect it will be very similar
>> to this:
>>
>> Start -> Control Panel -> System
>> Go to Advanced tab, and there should be a button for
>> Environment Variables.  Click that.
>> The resulting window will have 2 sections, one for User
>> variables, the other  for System variables.
>> Click New under the System variables section.
>> In Variable name, put   JAVA_COMPILER
>> In Variable value, put    NONE
>> Click OK, OK, OK (three time should take you all the way
>> out). Now try starting the Studio Installer.
>>

>> Mark Kusma
>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>>

>> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
>> > Mark --
>> >
>> > Anywhere in the registry or in a specific location?  I
>> > am not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting
>> > system environment variables.

>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices

>> line, >> > I don't seem to understand what the
>> documentation means >> > when it states Systems control
>> panel. >> >

>> help! >> >> >

>> 4 >> >> > > > issue. See this techdoc:
>> >> >> > > >

>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >
>> message >> >> > > > >
>> news:42cd5e93.672b.1681692777@sybase.com... We >> >> > > >
>> > downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When >> >> > > >
>> > setup.exe is clicked, it says its starting the >> >> > >

0
Mark
7/7/2005 9:00:58 PM
When you post, give it a couple minutes to show up. Sometimes it is really
fast, sometimes not. :-(

> Mark --
>
> That seemed to work, but now we are receiving an error
> everytime the machine boots that states java.exe encountered
> an error and will now close.  Will this be an issue later?
>
> Also everytime I post to these newsgroups I have compose my
> item several times before it actually gets up there.
>
>> I don't have Win 2003, but suspect it will be very similar
>> to this:
>>
>> Start -> Control Panel -> System
>> Go to Advanced tab, and there should be a button for
>> Environment Variables.  Click that.
>> The resulting window will have 2 sections, one for User
>> variables, the other  for System variables.
>> Click New under the System variables section.
>> In Variable name, put   JAVA_COMPILER
>> In Variable value, put    NONE
>> Click OK, OK, OK (three time should take you all the way
>> out). Now try starting the Studio Installer.
>>

>> Mark Kusma
>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>>

>> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
>> > Mark --
>> >
>> > Anywhere in the registry or in a specific location?  I
>> > am not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting
>> > system environment variables.

>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices

>> line, >> > I don't seem to understand what the
>> documentation means >> > when it states Systems control
>> panel. >> >

>> help! >> >> >

>> 4 >> >> > > > issue. See this techdoc:
>> >> >> > > >

>> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >
>> message >> >> > > > >
>> news:42cd5e93.672b.1681692777@sybase.com... We >> >> > > >
>> > downloaded the evaluation of ASE 12.5.  When >> >> > > >
>> > setup.exe is clicked, it says its starting the >> >> > >

0
Mark
7/7/2005 9:02:00 PM
Mark,

Thank you so much for your help today!

> When you post, give it a couple minutes to show up.
> Sometimes it is really  fast, sometimes not. :-(
>
> Mark Kusma
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
>

> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message
> > Mark --
> >
> > That seemed to work, but now we are receiving an error
> > everytime the machine boots that states java.exe
> > encountered an error and will now close.  Will this be
> an issue later? >
> > Also everytime I post to these newsgroups I have compose
> > my item several times before it actually gets up there.
> >
> >> I don't have Win 2003, but suspect it will be very
> similar >> to this:
> >>
> >> Start -> Control Panel -> System
> >> Go to Advanced tab, and there should be a button for
> >> Environment Variables.  Click that.
> >> The resulting window will have 2 sections, one for User
> >> variables, the other  for System variables.
> >> Click New under the System variables section.
> >> In Variable name, put   JAVA_COMPILER
> >> In Variable value, put    NONE
> >> Click OK, OK, OK (three time should take you all the
> way >> out). Now try starting the Studio Installer.
> >>

> >> Mark Kusma
> >>
> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
> >> >>
> >> <jmueller@navintconsulting.com> wrote in message

> I >> > am not familiar with creating, editing, or deleting

> environment >> >> variable, and set the  value to NONE.

> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices
> message >> >> news:42cd916d.68eb.1681692777@sybase.com...
> >> line, >> > I don't seem to understand what the
> >> documentation means >> > when it states Systems control
> >> panel. >> >

> (Microsoft >> >> crash >> screen).

> the >> >> >> > patches and update this post.  Thanks for
> your >> help! >> >> >
> of >> >> RAM. >> > > Would this still apply?

> Pentium >> 4 >> >> > > > issue. See this techdoc:
> >> >> >> > > >

> http://www.sybase.com/support/aboutsupport/otherservices >
> message >> >> > > > > >>
> news:42cd5e93.672b.1681692777@sybase.com... We >> >> > > >
> however >> >> >> > > > when the command window disappears
> nothing else >> >> >> > > > > happens. > Our Environment:
> Evaluation with latest >> >> >> > > > > Microsoft Service

0
jmueller