How to create inline SQL functions thru Open client/Open Server environment

Hi,
I know Sybase ASE provides java as a method to create UDFs which could be
used directly in Sql statements.
Like I have a function foo(in_val) which accepts in_val  and returns
out_val.
This function could be used
as

select * from emp where foo(empno)>=1

function foo can be created as a java class and can be used. BUT IF I DONT
WANT TO USE JAVA AND NEITHER PROXY TABLES/procedures..THEN

Could I create these functions through Open Client/Open Server programming
environment and use directly in SQL statements ..if yes How..?

I hope My question is clear.

Thanks
Gagan Tandon..
0
Gagan_Tandon

Hi Gagan,

Unfortunately, no.  UDF functions are only possible using JCS (java
classes in the server).

What you *could* do is to put the UDF in a SQL PreProcessor - whether it
is an OpenServer or similar gateway.  The gateway would parse the query
and make it a valid TSQL query for ASE.  However, this is a great deal
of work that would far exceed the cost of a JCS license.

just an idea

jason

In <53E6D4F3E088805D0040A78485256C05.0040A7A985256C05@webforums> Gagan_
Tandon wrote:
> Hi,
> I know Sybase ASE provides java as a method to create UDFs which could
> be  used directly in Sql statements. Like I have a function foo(in_val)
> which accepts in_val  and returns  out_val. This function could be
> used as
>
> select * from emp where foo(empno)>=1
>
> function foo can be created as a java class and can be used. BUT IF I
> DONT  WANT TO USE JAVA AND NEITHER PROXY TABLES/procedures..THEN
>
> Could I create these functions through Open Client/Open Server
> programming  environment and use directly in SQL statements ..if yes
> How..?
>
> I hope My question is clear.
>
> Thanks
> Gagan Tandon..

0
Jason

Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server & Adaptive Server Enterprise
*Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server, (10.x - 12.0) Adaptive Server Enterprise and SQL Server This document shows the interoperability of Open Client 11.1.1 and 12.0 with Open Server 10.0.4, 11.1.1 and 12.0, Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5.x, 11.9.x and 12.0, and SQL Server 11.0.3. (Oct 17 2001) http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013031 *Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server (11.x - 12.x) and Adaptive Server Enterprise This document shows the interoperability of Open Client versions 11.1.1, 12.0 and 12.5 with Open Server versions 11.1.1, 1...

Open Client and Open Server API Newsgroup
Does anyone know of an newsgroup or web site for Open Server or Open Client programming? Patrick Hood Try sybase.public.connectivity.open_client -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX http://www.eganomics.com Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm ...

Open Client ( Server??) Environment
We have an ancient server running Sybase middleware, ver 11.1 of Open Client, (no Sybase server) from which we compiled and ran C (GCC) code used in scripts against our various Sybase servers. This server is dying. We still require this environment. I have been given a newer Sun box running Solaris 9. Should I try to reproduce the old environment, or should I install the latest version of Open Client? If I go for the newer version, will I have to recompile everything? Will code recompiled in the newer version still work against my older servers - 11.5.1 and 11.0.3.2 on Sun Solaris...

Open Client/Server
An easy question here. Are these two products included with the purchase of ASE or are they separate? Thanks in Advance. Hello, Yes, Open Client is installed when you install ASE. If you look in your $SYBASE/bin directory, you should see Open Client utilities like "isql" and "bcp". You can find the version of Open Client on UNIX by: strings -a $SYBASE/lib/libct.a | grep Sybase or on NT by: find /I "Intel" d:\sybase\dll\libct.dll Keven Aldridge wrote: > An easy question here. > > Are these two products included wit...

Open Client/Server Included with ASE?
Are these two products included with the purchase of ASE or are they separate? Thanks in Advance. Keven Aldridge wrote: > > Are these two products included with the purchase of ASE or are they > separate? Open Client comes with it. Open Server is a separate product. -am � 2001 ...

How do you create a connection to SQL REMOTE OPEN SERVER?
We want to create a connection to SQL REMOTE OPEN SERVER 6.x from replication server 12 The command shows a syntax error. What�s the correct CREATE CONNECTION command ? Thanks for any help !!! Alex. Alex, you can try this: CREATE CONNECTION TO ssqueue.ssqueue SET ERROR CLASS rs_sqlserver_error_class SET FUNCTION STRING CLASS rs_sqlserver_function_class SET USERNAME cons SET PASSWORD consol WITH dsi_suspended go CONFIGURE CONNECTION TO ssqueue.ssqueue SET dsi_xact_group_size TO '-1' go CONFIGURE CONNECTION TO ssqueue.ssqueue SET dsi_fadeout_time T...

ASE and Open Client/Server Compatibility Note
The cover letter for HP 9000/800 12.0.0.2 ESD#1 contains the following statement requiring that Open Client/Server 12.0 EBF 9025 be installed in the SYBASE_OCS directory. When I run the strings command (see compatibiIity statement below) I get the following output: /opt/sybase12.0/OCS-12_0/lib: strings libinsck.sl | grep -i Sybase Sybase Network Driver for TCP/IP Sockets/12.0/P/hpux/HP-UX 11.00/1/OPT/Sat Sep 2 5 21:49:17 1999 Confidential property of Sybase, Inc. Sybase, Inc. All rights reserved. This software contains confidential and trade secret information of...

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login 'WinFM SQL PFS'. Login fails.
HiASP pages were properly connecting to SQL DB until I restored from a backup DB.  As soon as I finished restoring from the backup DB, I am getting the following error message.   I did not make any changes on ASP side.  IIS Server and SQL 2K Server is running on a WIN2K Server Box.Please help.Thank you.HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP errorInternet Information ServicesTechnical Information (for support personnel)Error Type:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login...

Error while establishing a connection to the SQL server 2005
Hi, I had an old web application created during asp.net 1.1 and it have a connection problem with the sql server 2005 when it is mirgrated to a new webserver with dotnet framework 2.0 platform. I have enabled the remote access(TCP/IP and named pipes) in sql server 2005, did all the neccessary things, check whether the TCP/IP is enabled, named pipe is enabled...  I created another web application using VS 2005. The database connection works perfectly well.This are the connectionString from the old web application.<appSettings>    <add key="ConnectionString" value=...

help with open open function
I am using the following statement to open a document. open("..\..\workflow.txt", "Workflow")|| die "Cannot open Workflow $!\n"; 1. the perl.exe resides in e:\perl\bin\perl.exe 2. the workflow.txt reside is e: 3. the error I am getting is "Cannot open workflow No Such file or directory" What am I doing wrong. I have tried to place them in the same directory structure and just use open(workfloe.txt) but receive the same errors. you are escaping your .'s though not want you want to do: need either ..\\..\\workflow.txt or ../../...

Application insist open SQL Server 2005 while the host still with SQL Server 2000
I don't know why my application on the internet try to access the SQL Server 2005, when the host still having the 2000 edition. I put the following connection string:          Data Source=##DBSERVER##;Initial Catalog=##DBNAME##;User ID=##DBUSER##;Password=##DBPASSWORD##;          Isn’t everything fine with that? I created the table by host but dosen’t work. I’m wondering if can I conect straight with Data Base, without register in the server, like with mdb?   This is the error that ...

open new email from outlook on client after server function
Greetings!I'm currently creating a system to email several people. These people a located in a grid. In this grid there are some checkboxes. The code below checks which box is checked and adds the email corresponding to the checkbox to a string. When the entire grid is checked, I want to popup a new outlook message with the TO-field filled in with the mailStr created on the server. The way it's done below, outlook is opend on the server, but I want to outlook to open on the clientside.    Protected Sub btnEmail_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnE...

SQL Server Express Error: Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [2]
HiI'm a complete sql/asp.net newbie and want to try this tutorial:http://beta.asp.net/GuidedTour/First I installed:Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2systemsettings\software shows the "sql server 2005 express edition ctp (sqlexpress)" installedmmc\service shows me the SQL Server (SQLExpress) is runningFollowing the guided tour I use the commandline, type cmd, and type in the commandbox: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\SQLCMD90" -S "localhost\SqlExpress"Instead of localhost I also tried computername.smallbusiness.local (thats my fully dom...

SQl Server Error: ----> Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
  Hi Friends, Im using .Net2008 and MS SQL Server2005, I Have a web application , i want to connect to the server machine SQL Server,  When i run the application im getting the following error. Im trying to connect to the database from local machine application to server machine database   An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Cou...

Web resources about - How to create inline SQL functions thru Open client/Open Server environment - sybase.ase.general

Environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jarryd Hayne excelled in a 'dysfunctional' environment at San Francisco 49ers, says agent
... agent Jack Bechta says his client exceeded expectations in his first season in the NFL, doing so in what he described as a dysfunctional environment ...

Wambo Coal mine in Hunter investigated by Environment Protection Authority over dam wall collapse
Environmental regulators are demanding coal mining giant Peabody Energy explain how a dam wall at a Hunter Valley mine collapsed amid heavy rain ...

2015 Cisco Corporate Social Responsibility Report: Environment
3BL Media (press release) 2015 Cisco Corporate Social Responsibility Report: Environment 3BL Media (press release) Cisco Corporate Social ...

First Alert unveils HomeKit-enabled safe, environment monitor, and thermostat coming this year
... its OneLink Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detector , and this year it’s building on that announcement with a new HomeKit-enabled safe, an environment ...

Bill Gross on China, Secular Stagnation, and the Highly Leveraged "Negative Carry" Environment
... that led to Gross' ouster at PIMCO, and caused a huge amount of grief for value investors. Now, in search of yield, in a decreasing yield environment, ...

Apple Ditching The Headphone Jack Could Be Bad For Consumers And The Environment
Doing away with the headphone jack may make sense in the long-run, but more proprietary peripherals is bad for consumers and the planet.

Teddy Roosevelt’s Badlands ranch at center of mining vs. environment battle
Teddy Roosevelt’s Badlands ranch at center of mining vs.

Code Craft-Embedding C++: Hacking the Arduino Software Environment
The Arduino software environment, including the IDE, libraries, and general approach, are geared toward education. It’s meant as a way to introduce ...

News: First Alert expands Onelink family with HomeKit-enabled Wi-Fi safe, environment monitor + thermostat ...
First Alert has announced several new HomeKit-enabled products at CES 2016, including a new Wi-Fi safe, environment monitor, and thermostat. ...