how to access other database in this database ?

Hi,Everyone,I used to use oracle 8i,but now for some reasons,I must change
to ASE11.5,at the beginning,I don't know how to access tables among
databases,in oracle, if I grant "select" to some user,this user will access
other user's table in username.tablename format,I want to know how to
implement this functions,please help me! thanks!
0
Patrick

Very similar in sybase ASE.

for new user:

select * from <user>.<tbl>

Patrick wrote:

> Hi,Everyone,I used to use oracle 8i,but now for some reasons,I must change
> to ASE11.5,at the beginning,I don't know how to access tables among
> databases,in oracle, if I grant "select" to some user,this user will access
> other user's table in username.tablename format,I want to know how to
> implement this functions,please help me! thanks!

0
Ivan
7/28/2001 4:58:51 PM
hi,Ivan,First of all,thanks for your explain! but I want to tell you maybe
I can't explain my questions about this,I want to know how to implement
access across database,for example,one database is aaa,owner is yyy,other
database is bbb,owner is xxx,if yyy want to access bbb ,how to do that?
thanks!
                                  Patrick
0
patrick
7/29/2001 3:21:21 PM
SELECT * FROM xxx.bbb.tablename

--
Matt

<patrick> wrote in message
> hi,Ivan,First of all,thanks for your explain! but I want to tell you maybe
> I can't explain my questions about this,I want to know how to implement
> access across database,for example,one database is aaa,owner is yyy,other
> database is bbb,owner is xxx,if yyy want to access bbb ,how to do that?
> thanks!
>                                   Patrick

0
Matt
7/29/2001 5:36:37 PM
In addition,
you cannot grant cross-database access in another database.
You can grant access only for objects in local database, and for cross-database
queries to work, the login should be a valid user in the other database.
(be careful of adding 'guest' user to the database, since it is a security hole)

Matt wrote:

> SELECT * FROM xxx.bbb.tablename
>
> --
> Matt
>
> <patrick> wrote in message
> > hi,Ivan,First of all,thanks for your explain! but I want to tell you maybe
> > I can't explain my questions about this,I want to know how to implement
> > access across database,for example,one database is aaa,owner is yyy,other
> > database is bbb,owner is xxx,if yyy want to access bbb ,how to do that?
> > thanks!
> >                                   Patrick

0
Ivan
7/31/2001 5:46:56 AM
hi,I am patrick,with your help,I have implement the function of accessing
database among different databases,but I still want to know how to access
the database in the remote server,thanks!

0
patrick
7/31/2001 12:16:46 PM
Use the Component Integration Services (CIS) feature of ASE (11.5 and above
only). It supports queries across servers (using proxy table) as well as
Remote Procedure Calls.

patrick wrote:

> hi,I am patrick,with your help,I have implement the function of accessing
> database among different databases,but I still want to know how to access
> the database in the remote server,thanks!

0
Ivan
8/1/2001 6:04:22 AM
Would you tell me the detail operations about it? thanks
0
patrick
8/2/2001 11:56:55 AM
Its clearly explained in the CIS guide for ASE 12. Its typically a
built-in feature in the ASE Server which runs a seperate thread to
execute rpcs or queries to remote servers.

patrick wrote:

> Would you tell me the detail operations about it? thanks

0
Ivan

Accessing Second Database from First Database
We are planning to store images as BLOBS in secondary database. Is it possible to access the tables defined in secondary database from primary database by means by view and/or trigger? On 30 Mar 2005 13:35:23 -0800, Ashish Gupta wrote: >We are planning to store images as BLOBS in secondary >database. Is it possible to access the tables defined in >secondary database from primary database by means by view >and/or trigger? You can use proxy tables. Why do you want to separate the images into a different database? Breck -- SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's ...

Oracle Database vs Access Database
I am eventually planning on moving from an Access database to an Oracle database. I have no idea how to do this from the beginning. I know they both use SQL statements, so maybe I would just need to mirror an oracle database after my access and change the connection strings? If someone could answer some questions or point me to a post or web link that describes this in good detail1. How much are oracle databases and where would I find one to download?2. How much more can they hold than access databases?3. Will it be easy to move all my data over or would I have to change a lot with my sql st...

Access Database and SQL Server database
Hi, I have an access database server and a sql server DB. The  Structure of both DB is same . The data is updated or inserted in access DB. I want to update SQL Server DB on a any event say button click. All updated data or new data in access DB should be reflected on SQL Server DB . Can anyone guide on the approach to be attempted. Thanks   Mark this as an answer if you find my it helpful.Thanks,Anubhuti ONe approach would be to use the System.Data.OleDb library and store connection strings for each database in your web.config file.  Each time you need ...

copy database one database to onther database
hii want to copy one database table to onther database table using script?my database is ms-sql server 2000 Nothing is really over,untill the moment stop trying for it...Amitsp(MCTS,MCP)sqlreporting.blogspot.com You can use import/export task and DTS package created automatically by Enterprise manager or just try  select * INTO [newdatabase].dbo.[newTable] from [sourceDatabase].dbo.[sourcetable]  good luckThanksJPazgier no dear i want to this programatticallyiusing c #,source is my database in local machine and target is other computer means server Nothing is really...

Conversion of a DNN Access database to SQL database
We have an Access version of the Dot Net Nuke database. We are upgrading to a server with SQL. We'd like to transfer the content from the Access database to the SQL database. Is this possible? Is there a utility available for this conversion. What should we be aware of as we try this? Take a look at http://www.freelance.supertoddler.com/Default.aspx?tabid=37 Rob Visit www.dnnnotes.com - index of DNN threads - hand picked quality threads. TextLayout Module - create multiple column layouts easily Thank for your excellent process! I was able to successfully move the data. ...

updating Sql database from linked Access database
I got thrown into a new project that is going to require me to update an SQL server database tables from an Access table on the backend of an Oracle database on another server. At the end of each day the Access dabase will be updated from the Oracle database. What I need to do, is when the Access database is updated I need to have the table in the SQL database automaticaly updated. When a new record is added to the Access table I need the new record added to the SQL table. When a record is deleted in the Access table I need to keep that record in the SQL table and set a field to a value (...

Converting Access database to the Sql Server database
how can I convert or transfer my Access database to SQl Server database ? Thanks in advance.HighOnCodingWanna get high! Try "the Upsizing wizard". Look in Access help...

migrate access database to sql anywhere database
I am having trouble migrating a Microsoft Access database to SQL Anywhere database. Has anyone done this? I would like to use this database in sql anywhere to utilize the native drivers. Thankyou in advance david You can use the pipeline to migrate all tables. If you have a tool like Powerdesigner, you can reverse engineer the database structure. BTW, SQLAnywhere uses ODBC. There are no native drivers. Terry Dykstra (TeamPS) David Bowles <davidb@goodnet.com> wrote in article <34738A77.2C758640@goodnet.com>... > I am having trouble migrating a Microsoft ...

How can I update a SQL database with an Access database
I need to update an SQL database with an access database that is built on queries.  I need to do this nightly.   Can someone explain how to write the query for this and then I could add it to my nightly maintenance.   Thank you DeeDarlene D. Murphydeemurphy_us@yahoo.com you can reference your Sql Database through Access either with linked tables or ADO.  As long as you have update rights on the Sql Tables, you can use your Access queries to update the Sql tables.Good Luck and happy programming!Let's build community! If my post helped you, mark it as the Answ...

How to lock the database for any user access during database update
Hello, I want to make significant changes to my database. During the time of the updates I want to be sure that no user can log on to the database. Does anybody know how I can achieve this ? Best regards Ulrich Reinbeck Avista Software / Germany reinbeck@avista-erp.com Shut down the database server, start up the database on the stand alone engine and make the modifications on your local machine. Only your local machine will be able to connect to the database when you start the database on the standalone engine. -- Reg Domaratzki Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Pleas...

repair access database with system database file
I'm using ADMSAccessService but have not found a way to inform the file system database (sysdb) to access the database microsoft access and repair it. Please help me. ...

accessing ACCESS database
Hi, I am trying to write a script that copies an information from ACCESS but it gives me the following error: Can't call method "Sql" on an undefined value at franowner.pl.txt line 4. Here's the script: use Win32::ODBC; $DSN="db1"; $db = new Win32::ODBC("db1"); $db->Sql("SELECT owner_first_name, owner_last_name FROM Owners WHERE ID=11"); if ($db->Error()) { print "Error: $db->Error"; } statement:\n$DBI:errstr\n"; ($ownerfname,$ownerlname) = $db->FetchRow(); print "Database results: first ...

Accessing the PC database using a web-page and PowerBuilder 5.0 front-end and MS Access Database
I am trying to connect my web page, which is the standard HTML Explorier applet to my MS Access Database by way of PowerBuilder 5.0. I would like the steps and PowerBuilder Script to make this work. I was told that this is possible, but I don't know where to start, where to place the needed Script, and how to get the link on the web page to call up Powerbuilder to access the MS Access database. Help! You create a PB user object that has methods that do the access. You deploy that as a distributed PB component and then access it using Web.PB. Read more on distributed PB and...

General sql database access
I'm currently developing a number of websites for various clients and have built a useful Content Management System for each. Almost everything on my site is database generated and each page makes multiple database calls for many different things. My problem is that my database control is quite rudimentary and is therefor letting down the rest of my application. I have implemented the GotDotNet Application Block 3.1 and generally use the ExecuteReader method for everything I do. I programatically generate all database returns using while ( IDataReader.Read() ) and then close the IDat...

Web resources about - how to access other database in this database ? - sybase.ase.general

A look ahead at the state of the database in 2016
... identity management, anti-phishing education, and so forth. Ultimately, hackers want access to the contents of an enterprise's database. Security ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.