Copying a text column between 2 tables

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with this: I have a table that can save a text
column, and can be null. Also, have another table containing some of the
columns from the first, and this should take the Text column if not
empty, otherwise must take a char column from a third table, all of this
within the SP.

If I try to do it:

Create ...
Begin
..
..
..
Insert into B(id, description)
Select  A.id,
	Case when DataLength(A.large_text) < 1  then
         	C.describe_it
	Else
         	A.large_text
         End
Where id = @id
..
..
..
End

I get this error:
Implicit conversion from datatype 'TEXT' to 'VARCHAR' is not allowed.
Use the CONVERT function to run this query.

( only the C table has a char column. A and B are text columns )

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

***PS: I'm on ASE 12.5, and perhaps I'll be moving it to ASE 15 in short
time.
0
Jose

"Jose Manuel Espinoza" <jmespinoza@seicom.com.mx> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble with this: I have a table that can save a text
> column, and can be null. Also, have another table containing some of the
> columns from the first, and this should take the Text column if not empty,
> otherwise must take a char column from a third table, all of this within
> the SP.
>
> If I try to do it:
>
> Create ...
> Begin
> .
> .
> .
> Insert into B(id, description)
> Select  A.id,
> Case when DataLength(A.large_text) < 1  then
>         C.describe_it
> Else
>         A.large_text
>         End
> Where id = @id
> .
> .
> .
> End
>

> I get this error:
> Implicit conversion from datatype 'TEXT' to 'VARCHAR' is not allowed. Use
> the CONVERT function to run this query.
>
> ( only the C table has a char column. A and B are text columns )
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> ***PS: I'm on ASE 12.5, and perhaps I'll be moving it to ASE 15 in short
> time.

Have you tried an explicit conversion (and some form of a join):

 Insert into B (id, description)
     select  A.id,
                case
                      when DataLength (A.large_text) < 1   then  convert
(text, C.describe_it)
                      else
A.large_text
                end
      from A, C
      where A.id = @id
          and C.id = @id
 .
 .

The error message does not seem to conform with the type descriptions
provided.  You're trying to (sometimes) place a char column into a text
column?  But the error message says the opposite.

0
Carl
12/10/2010 7:57:44 PM
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble with this: I have a table that can
> save a text  column, and can be null. Also, have another
> table containing some of the  columns from the first, and
> this should take the Text column if not  empty, otherwise
> must take a char column from a third table, all of this
> within the SP.
>
> If I try to do it:
>
> Create ...
> Begin
> .
> .
> .
> Insert into B(id, description)
> Select  A.id,
>     Case when DataLength(A.large_text) < 1  then
>              C.describe_it
>     Else
>              A.large_text
>          End
> Where id = @id
> .
> .
> .
> End
>

> I get this error:
> Implicit conversion from datatype 'TEXT' to 'VARCHAR' is
> not allowed.  Use the CONVERT function to run this query.
>
> ( only the C table has a char column. A and B are text
> columns )
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> ***PS: I'm on ASE 12.5, and perhaps I'll be moving it to
> ASE 15 in short  time.

Alternative would be 1)insert null in B.description then 2)
update B conditionally using plain update(varchar col from
C) OR (text column from A) using readtext and writetext;
0
jobless
12/10/2010 8:44:16 PM
Actually, the Text column from A will be empty the most of the times so
B should be filled in with the char column from C.

I double checked datatypes: and A and B are text, while C is a char.

I tried by doing the insert without any conditional, first inserting
directly from C and worked; then changed to take A directly and worked
too. Seems that the condition gives some trouble to the compiler, IMO.

Oh, and yes, A,B, and C are used in the query's join.

Is there any workaround?

The only one I can think of is creating a process in the front
end(PowerBuilder) to simulate this SP :s, but I'd rather to keep this in
the database.

thanks!

El 10/12/2010 01:57 p.m., Carl Kayser escribi�:
> "Jose Manuel Espinoza"<jmespinoza@seicom.com.mx>  wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having some trouble with this: I have a table that can save a text
>> column, and can be null. Also, have another table containing some of the
>> columns from the first, and this should take the Text column if not empty,
>> otherwise must take a char column from a third table, all of this within
>> the SP.
>>
>> If I try to do it:
>>
>> Create ...
>> Begin
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> Insert into B(id, description)
>> Select  A.id,
>> Case when DataLength(A.large_text)<  1  then
>>          C.describe_it
>> Else
>>          A.large_text
>>          End
>> Where id = @id
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> End
>>

>> I get this error:
>> Implicit conversion from datatype 'TEXT' to 'VARCHAR' is not allowed. Use
>> the CONVERT function to run this query.
>>
>> ( only the C table has a char column. A and B are text columns )
>>
>> Any suggestion?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> ***PS: I'm on ASE 12.5, and perhaps I'll be moving it to ASE 15 in short
>> time.
>

> Have you tried an explicit conversion (and some form of a join):
>
>   Insert into B (id, description)
>       select  A.id,
>                  case
>                        when DataLength (A.large_text)<  1   then  convert
> (text, C.describe_it)
>                        else
> A.large_text
>                  end
>        from A, C
>        where A.id = @id
>            and C.id = @id
>   .
>   .
>
> The error message does not seem to conform with the type descriptions
> provided.  You're trying to (sometimes) place a char column into a text
> column?  But the error message says the opposite.

0
Jose
--------------050507010506020004090401

Using the convert() function (same thing Carl's already recommended) the query seems to work just fine.  (see attached)

NOTE:  I'm on ASE 15.0.3; I don't have immediate access to a 12.5 dataserver so I'm *assuming* this will work on ASE
12.5, too.

-----------

If you still can't get this to work then you really need to provide a *complete* test case that reproduces the issue.

So far you haven't provided the actual table definitions, any sample data, or any complete/valid SQL statements.

It's kinda hard to provide debugging suggestions without knowing *exactly* what we're trying to debug.

Jose Manuel Espinoza wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> ***PS: I'm on ASE 12.5, and perhaps I'll be moving it to ASE 15 in short
>>> time.
>>

>> Have you tried an explicit conversion (and some form of a join):
>>
>>   Insert into B (id, description)
>>       select  A.id,
>>                  case
>>                        when DataLength (A.large_text)<  1   then  convert
>> (text, C.describe_it)
>>                        else
>> A.large_text
>>                  end
>>        from A, C
>>        where A.id = @id
>>            and C.id = @id
>>   .
>>   .
>>
>> The error message does not seem to conform with the type descriptions
>> provided.  You're trying to (sometimes) place a char column into a text
>> column?  But the error message says the opposite.

create table A ( id int, large_text  text null)
create table B ( id int, description text)
create table C ( id int, describe_it varchar(100))
go

insert A values (1,null)
insert A values (2,'this is a piece of text')
insert C values (1,'vc 1')
insert C values (2,'vc 2')
go

select * from A
select * from B
select * from C
go

 id          large_text
 ----------- ------------------------------------
           1 NULL
           2 this is a piece of text

 id          description
 ----------- ------------------------------------

 id          describe_it
 ----------- ------------------------------------
           1 vc 1
           2 vc 2

create proc add_to_B
@id int
as
insert B
select  A.id,
        case    when datalength(A.large_text) < 1
                then convert(text,C.describe_it)
                else A.large_text
        end
from    A, C
where   A.id = @id
and     C.id = @id
and     A.id = C.id
go

exec add_to_B 1
go
exec add_to_B 2
go

select * from B
go

 id          description
 ----------- ------------------------------------
           1 vc 1
           2 this is a piece of text

--------------050507010506020004090401--
0
Mark
12/10/2010 10:52:13 PM
Thanks for your idea...

I did it like you suggested, just with normal Update:

after inserting using C column as default:

Insert into B(id, description)
  Select  A.id, C.describe_it
  Where A.other = C.other
	and A.id = @id

Then do a normal update:

Update B
Set description = A.large_text
from A
Where A.id = B.id
    and DataLength( A.large_text ) > 1
    and B.id = @id

This works, but I have a doubt: how many chars can support this
statement? Frankly, I haven't used readtext/writetext before, and after
reading a few seems a little bit more complicated than this simple
update :s

Or maybe is this friday's madness? :p

Thanks again!

El 10/12/2010 02:44 p.m., jobless escribi�:
> Alternative would be 1)insert null in B.description then 2)
> update B conditionally using plain update(varchar col from
> C) OR (text column from A) using readtext and writetext;

0
Jose
12/10/2010 10:56:04 PM
Mark, I just tested by creating my tables and SP in 15.0.2 and it worked
fine.

However, when I do the convert on 12.5 shows this:

Operand type clash: TEXT is incompatible with TEXT

I thought it was because I have the ASE 15 in my lap, and the database
is 12.5 so I went to the server and wrote the SP in SQL Advantage. Same
error.

Well, at least now I know that when I move to 15 it will work  :p

Thanks for your help!

El 10/12/2010 04:52 p.m., Mark A. Parsons escribi�:
> Using the convert() function (same thing Carl's already recommended) the
> query seems to work just fine. (see attached)
>
> NOTE: I'm on ASE 15.0.3; I don't have immediate access to a 12.5
> dataserver so I'm *assuming* this will work on ASE 12.5, too.
>
> -----------
>
> If you still can't get this to work then you really need to provide a
> *complete* test case that reproduces the issue.
>
> So far you haven't provided the actual table definitions, any sample
> data, or any complete/valid SQL statements.
>
> It's kinda hard to provide debugging suggestions without knowing
> *exactly* what we're trying to debug.
>
> Jose Manuel Espinoza wrote:
>>
>> Actually, the Text column from A will be empty the most of the times
>> so B should be filled in with the char column from C.
>>
>> I double checked datatypes: and A and B are text, while C is a char.
>>
>> I tried by doing the insert without any conditional, first inserting
>> directly from C and worked; then changed to take A directly and worked
>> too. Seems that the condition gives some trouble to the compiler, IMO.
>>
>> Oh, and yes, A,B, and C are used in the query's join.
>>
>> Is there any workaround?
>>
>> The only one I can think of is creating a process in the front
>> end(PowerBuilder) to simulate this SP :s, but I'd rather to keep this
>> in the database.
>>

>> thanks!
>>

>> El 10/12/2010 01:57 p.m., Carl Kayser escribi�:
>>> "Jose Manuel Espinoza"<jmespinoza@seicom.com.mx> wrote in message

>>> Have you tried an explicit conversion (and some form of a join):
>>>
>>> Insert into B (id, description)
>>> select A.id,
>>> case
>>> when DataLength (A.large_text)< 1 then convert
>>> (text, C.describe_it)
>>> else
>>> A.large_text
>>> end
>>> from A, C
>>> where A.id = @id
>>> and C.id = @id
>>> .
>>> .
>>>
>>> The error message does not seem to conform with the type descriptions
>>> provided. You're trying to (sometimes) place a char column into a text
>>> column? But the error message says the opposite.

0
Jose
12/10/2010 11:20:11 PM
You might not need readtext/writetext given the update you
listed did not error; Your update is good, there wont be any
char limitation as the datatypes are same;

readtext/writetext are fun depending on the requirement(not
straight forward though, its been over 7 years since i
*actively coded* and moved on to dba stuff)

> Thanks for your idea...
>
> I did it like you suggested, just with normal Update:
>
> after inserting using C column as default:
>
> Insert into B(id, description)
>   Select  A.id, C.describe_it
>   Where A.other =3d C.other
>     and A.id =3d @id
>
> Then do a normal update:
>
> Update B
> Set description =3d A.large_text
> from A
> Where A.id =3d B.id
>     and DataLength( A.large_text ) > 1
>     and B.id =3d @id
>
> This works, but I have a doubt: how many chars can support
> this  statement? Frankly, I haven't used
> readtext/writetext before, and after  reading a few seems
> a little bit more complicated than this simple  update :s
>
> Or maybe is this friday's madness? :p
>
> Thanks again!
>

> El 10/12/2010 02:44 p.m., jobless escribi=f3:
> > Alternative would be 1)insert null in B.description then
> > 2) update B conditionally using plain update(varchar col
> > from C) OR (text column from A) using readtext and
> writetext;

0
jobless

stored procedure to copy table 1 to table 2 appending the data to table 2.
Just wondering if there is an easy transact statement to copy table 1 to table 2, appending the data in table 2.with SQL2000, thanks.Paul GSoftware Engineer Appending the rows, or the columns? Append rows: Insert into table2SELECT * FROM table1 Append columns: UPDATE Table2SET t2.col1=t1.col1+t2.col1, t2.col2=t1.col2+t2.col2, etcFROM Table2 t2JOIN Table1 t1 ON (t1.yourkeyhere=t2.yourkeyhere) Not sure how useful the second append is, and it'd be really odd to actually want to do that, but you can, if you ever really needed to ;p ok thanks, just need to append the rows.  Lo...

Text column copy across tables
Hi I have two tables with text columns. I wish to update text column in existing rows in TABLE1 using data present in the text column of a corresponding row in TABLE2. (The row in TABLE2 can be selected without referring to the text column values) Sybase ver is 12.5.3 BTW, I have read some of writetext & readtext in the manual, but it seems very complex, and if I have to use it, can someone give me a small example. Thanks in advance Manish wrote: > > I have two tables with text columns. I wish to update text column in > existing rows in TABLE1 using data pr...

Copying text-column into a Proxy-table
Hello, has anybody got an idea, how I manage to move text-data from one ASE(NT)-server to another remote ASE(NT)-server without using bcp? When I try to make an update like this: update proxytable set textcol = b.textcol from proxytable a, table b where a.id = b.id I get this: Server Message: Number 11236, Severity 16 Server 'SQL99', Line 1: Update or 'complex INSERT' of non-NULL TEXT/IMAGE data is unsupported by server 'SHOP3'. Use WRITETEXT instead. Server Message: Number 3621, Severity 10 Server 'SQL99', Line 1: Command has been ...

Reverse Engineer created copies of table (table:1, table:2)... How do I merge them back into 1 table?
PowerDesigner 12.1 I just reverse-engineered about 20 tables from our database, and it took one of my key tables and created two copies ("TableName : 1" and "TableName : 2"). I'm sure the engine was trying to make the diagram easier for it to auto-layout, but I want all the FKs and such from one table). How do I merge them back into just one table? Thanks, Jason Jason Vogel wrote: > PowerDesigner 12.1 > > I just reverse-engineered about 20 tables from our database, and it took > one of my key tables and created two copies ("Tabl...

creating a table text column with a tootip. Tooltip needs to be a popup when mouseover or hoverover text column
I am creating  single line table columns dynamacially in and ajax UpdatePanel with text results.  The results really contains a bulk of data which i put in a tooltip. The problem is that when i mouseover the column, the tooltip shows but only for 5 seconds, not long enough and you can't copy and paste whats in the tooltip. Is there a extension in ajax that i can use to mouseover or hoverover that will let me copy the results and paste it?  If so, what is it and how do I use it. TableCell TC4 = new TableCell(); TC4.Width = 300; TC4.Text = LimitedResults; TC4....

how to create full text index on 2 columns of the same table
 hello how to create full text index on two columns of a same table.this is what I have done for one column of a table SystemElement.CREATE Unique Index ui_SystemElement on SystemElement(SystemElementID)Create fulltext index on SystemElement( SESummaryText TYPE Column Text )Key index ui_SystemElement on charlottecatalogwith change_tracking autobut when I am trying to create index on another column of the same tableCreate fulltext index on SystemElement( SETitleText TYPE Column Text )Key index ui_SystemElement on charlottecatalogwith change_tracking autoits giving me error sayingA full...

ASE 12.0/kernel error on reading table w/ text column
Hi - anyone seen this before? 00:00000:00020:2000/06/15 11:16:27.91 kernel current process (0x1f001f) infected with 10 00:00000:00020:2000/06/15 11:16:27.91 kernel Address 0x00204948 (sendtext+0x92c), siginfo (code, address) = (1, 0x6579276e) 00:00000:00020:2000/06/15 11:16:27.91 kernel ************************************ 00:00000:00020:2000/06/15 11:16:27.91 kernel SQL causing error : select * from devcontent..eC_articleBody where articleId > 3459 00:00000:00020:2000/06/15 11:16:27.91 kernel ************************************ 00:00000:00020:2000/06/15 11:16:27.91 server ...

copy column from one table to another table
Hi, I have 2 tables. Table1 has column1 and column2. I wish to copy column1 into Table2 by using sql statement. How do i do that? Thank you. In general you'd do it like this: Insert statement: INSERT INTO Table2 ( Column1 ) SELECT Column1 FROM Table1 Update statement: UPDATE Table2 SET Column1 = T1.Column1 FROM Table2 T2 INNER JOIN Table1 T1 ON T2.someID = T1.someID TerriTerri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question...

Copy columns in mutiple tables into single table
4 tables in my dataset which is ready from xml data. DataList->data->val->item IN datalist table: only one column DataLIst_id In Data table: three columns key  |  Data_id  |  DataList_id In Val table: two columns Val_id  |  Data_id In item table : three columns name   |  codeno | val_id How to copy these 4 tables columns into one table/ I  tried this but giving erro  Column 'datalist_Id' already belongs to another DataTable  Dim commlDT As New DataTable Dim tCol As DataColumn Dim  iTable As New DataTabl...

How can I copy a column from table A into table B ??
I want to add an ID column to an existing table to ease the SQL selects from it. The ID exists in another table but I have to relate several tables together to get the right one. tableA id number1 text1 -----------------------------+ | | tableB | id | number1 tableC | tableC.id ----------> id | text1 <-----+ I want to add the tableB.id column to tableA so I can do away with...

Simple SUM query from 2 columns 2 tables?
Hi AllI've designed a Access database that logs any incoming revenue as well as refunds. I have 2 different tables: tblIncome with columns ID (autonumber), income, User  and  another table tblrefund with columns refID (autonumber), id (linked relationship to id of tblIncome) and refund. So far so good. I need to create a couple of select queries to show the total for a given day i.e. sum of tblIncome.income + sum of tblrefund.refund. Not all income id's will have refunds!! So if I have 3 rows on income and 1 row of refund I'm unable to get the correct answer. UsingSELEC...

Sync between 2 tables that does not match in the number of columns #2
Sync using mobilink : We are facing problems with sync between two tables that differ in their number of columns. THe From table is in the mobilink client and the TO table is in the MObilink server machine. Should the From and the to table always match in numbers too. We are very much in need of this solution ,as all our to tables are a subset of the from tables , hence the from tables will not match with the to tables as per the number of columns is considered. Is the syntax fixed ,that only the table names of the Client mobilink could be provided in the sync code and always ...

1 non-scrolling column in a 2-column table
I've got a page which consists of 2 columns. Column 1 contains the main contents of the page, and the other column displays an advisement image. I want the browser's vertical scrollbar to only affect column 1 so the advertisement is on display at all times. I've tried the basic overflow settings in CSS but to no success. An example of what I want to achieve is similar to the side advertisements (skin) on TV.com. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. try like this take a table with 2 <td>'s. In the first <td> put ur ur content inside the ...

Copy the text from ms-word to Text Box with same format (including Tables)
  Hai frnds i want to the Msword in text box with same format ( tables , fontsize,fontstyle,colour of the font and etc )  Can any one please help me  Thanks,ShivaIf(MyPost Helps You)“Mark as Answer” This is not possible with textbox as textbox does not provide the graphical properties.Instead u can use richtextbox to have the feature that u needed.Richtextbox have all the features and u can copy and paste & it will not change anything. Thanks,Ravi Mark the answer as Answer if it satisfy the need.  I cant undersand all of ur requirement.Tell me in details and ...

Web resources about - Copying a text column between 2 tables - sybase.ase.general

Private copying levy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A private copying levy (also known as blank media tax or levy ) is a government -mandated scheme in which a special tax or levy (additional to ...

Zynga CEO Dispels Facebook Game Copying Accusations
... they are like the crew mechanic in our games. They give you a new way to interact with your friends. Zynga was also accused last week of copying ...

Showing Apple employee #8 some of my artifacts. He remembers manually copying the Star Wars cassettes ...
jurvetson posted a photo: He has a rig that fed eight recoding tape drives from one master, and he would manually copy eight tapes at a time ...

The Secret Pattern That Stops You Copying Bank Notes - YouTube
http://tomscott.com - @tomscott - There's a hidden pattern on banknotes, all around the world, that means photocopiers refuse to copy them.

CSAIL fixes software bugs automatically, in any language, by copying from safer applications
A new system can repair bugs in software using smart processing that imports functionality from other programs, all without access to source ...

Australia risks copying US 'ag-gag' laws to turn animal activists into terrorists
When Amy Meyer saw a sick cow being pushed by a bulldozer outside a slaughterhouse, she did what any of us would in this age of iPhones and Instagram ...

Hardware vendors sue Dutch government over copyright levies - regulation, legal, Dutch Home Copying Foundation ...
... on hard disks, smartphones, tablets and MP3 players that are meant to compensate the music and movie industries for losses caused by home copying. ...

Grace Jones slams Lady Gaga for copying her, describes her as soulless - The Courier-Mail Search Search ...
GRACE Jones has slammed Lady Gaga in a new interview, saying she didn’t “feel a soul” when she met the controversial pop star.

Iran claims to be copying US drone
CTV.ca Iran claims to be copying US drone Herald Sun AN IRANIAN military commander said the country is building a copy of a US spy drone captured ...

Ex-cop pleads guilty to copying sex video
A former officer has pleaded guilty to copying a private sex video he found on the mobile phone of a victim who came to police for help last ...