ASE performance

Hi,

I'm new to Sybase, so excuse me if this is a stupid
question, and I guess I might not supply enough information
to make an informed judgement ...

We've got ASE 12.0 running on a Sun Sparc server with 2 x
450Mhz processsors and 2 gig RAM + RAID. We run a script
which updates a join table - i.e. a table with two integer
columns with keys in them. The sql script inserts a total of
1.8 million rows into the table and the entire operation
takes around 18 minutes to complete.

Does this sound like reasonable performance - it feels slow
to me, but I don't have any comparison benchmarks at the
moment? If not, what could I look at to improve performance?
Am I completely off base here?

Thanks,
Ian
0
Ian

<Ian> schreef in bericht news:3f8f9921.7e26.846930886@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Sybase, so excuse me if this is a stupid
> question, and I guess I might not supply enough information
> to make an informed judgement ...
>
> We've got ASE 12.0 running on a Sun Sparc server with 2 x
> 450Mhz processsors and 2 gig RAM + RAID. We run a script
> which updates a join table - i.e. a table with two integer
> columns with keys in them. The sql script inserts a total of
> 1.8 million rows into the table and the entire operation
> takes around 18 minutes to complete.
>
> Does this sound like reasonable performance - it feels slow
> to me, but I don't have any comparison benchmarks at the
> moment? If not, what could I look at to improve performance?
> Am I completely off base here?
it all depends on how your ASE is configured (memory, locks, etc).
If no trigger code is involved you should check the config (run a sp_sysmon
while running the scripts)

> Thanks,
> Ian

0
Ramon
10/17/2003 12:06:04 PM
On 17 Oct 2003 00:24:17 -0700,
 in sybase.public.ase.general
 <Ian> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to Sybase, so excuse me if this is a stupid
>question, and I guess I might not supply enough information
>to make an informed judgement ...
>
>We've got ASE 12.0 running on a Sun Sparc server with 2 x
>450Mhz processsors and 2 gig RAM + RAID. We run a script
>which updates a join table - i.e. a table with two integer
>columns with keys in them. The sql script inserts a total of
>1.8 million rows into the table and the entire operation
>takes around 18 minutes to complete.
>
>Does this sound like reasonable performance - it feels slow
>to me, but I don't have any comparison benchmarks at the
>moment? If not, what could I look at to improve performance?
>Am I completely off base here?
>
>Thanks,
>Ian

Hi Ian,

It depends.  It depends on the schema of the table, the throughput of the disk
subsystem, whether dsync is being used, spinlocks, etc.

I highly suggest that you go to your local super bookstore or purchase it
online:

Sybase ASE 12.5 Performance and Tuning (With CD-ROM)
by Jeffrey Garbus (Editor), Eric Miner, Joel Duplessis, Alvin Chang, Yuval
Malchi, Jeff Garbus
ISBN 1556229089

Going through this book will help more than anything else.

thanks

Jason L. Froebe
TeamSybase (http://www.TeamSybase.com)
International Sybase User's Group (ISUG http://www.isug.com)
http://www.bookcrossing.com
0
Jason

ASE to ASE

ASE and ASE

ASA To ASE - VS

Adding ASE to existing ASE-to-ASE Installation
I am using all ASE's in my SQLRemote setup. My current installation consists of a Consolidated ASE & 2 Remote ASE's. My attempt to add another Remote ASE to the existing installation consists of these steps: - Install the sqlremote system objects in the new Remote - Install the stable queues in the new Remote - Manually extract a bcp file of the shared table from the Cons server - Configure the Cons server for another subscriber - Configure the new Remote's shared table, publications, & subscriptions. - Manually b...

Performance advantage of ASE 64 Bit over ASE 32 Bit version
Hi Folks, Is any there any performance gains when using ASE 64 bit versus ASE 32 bit version like larger memory gains hence good performance? Thanks Jayesh The more memory , the more data you can cache, the better performance. <Jayesh> wrote in message news:4460bb13.194c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi Folks, > > Is any there any performance gains when using ASE 64 bit > versus ASE 32 bit version like larger memory gains hence > good performance? > > > Thanks > Jayesh > The more memory , the more data you can cache, the better...

ASE 12.5 vs ASE 11.5 performance issues
Hi All, Again my question is about performance of ASE 12.5 against 11.5.01 We have a huge production client-server application running on W2K server with ASE 11.5.0.1 database (more than 400 tables, 2000 stored procedures). The database was placed on raw disk partitions (no RAID) and split between different physical drives as follows: data, log, tempdb and master database are located on different drives. We have two PIII, 1GHz, 1 GB of memory and give 800MB for ASE. We create separate tempdb cache and bind tempdb to it. Database was bind to default data cache. Then we want to switc...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a HP-UX 10.20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a HP-UX 11.0 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (32 bits) Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system and sybase version) We've noted that it starts really fast but slows down gradually. We�ve tried many ways to improve the performance: -Increase the max memory. -Increase the number of engines at startup...

Performance Degradation after ASE 12.0 upgrade to ASE 12.5
Hello, There was a issue posted on 08/06/2002 by 'Bob' related to performance degradation after upgrade of ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5. I would like to know whether anyone has found any solution/workaround to resolve those issues without making any changes in the application code. We are also facing the same problems here after upgrade of ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5. The program which takes 10 mins. on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 3 hrs to finish on ASE 12.5 despite of using the same indexes and the program which takes 3 hrs on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 24 hours on ASE 12.5. ...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 #2
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a Sun 3000 with=20 Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a Sun 10000 with Adaptive=20 Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (64 bits) and Solaris v. 8 Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more=20 powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system=20 and sybase version) A particular query with insert used to work for about 2 hours in a Sun 3000= =20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits).=20 In a Sun 10000 with Adaptive ...

ASE optimizer behavior differences and Performance differences between ASEs: 11.50/ 11.9.2
Hi, I wish I could report that the 11.9.2.4 ASE is performing better then our 11.50 AS instances, but then I would probably not be submitting this post. I have two similar ASE instances which appear to have identical table,indexes,segments,devices. The row counts of the two tables are only off by 1000 and that is expected. Showplan reveals that the optimizer is behaviing very differently between the two instances , not supprised. The new 11.9.2.4/1175/P/SWR/9520 ASE is performing poorly and I can not proced with upgrading my other servers to 11.9.2 untill I accertain the performanc...

Diferrence of performance on queries betwenne a ASE 11.5.1.1 and ASE 12.0
I'm on the way to migrate from ASE 11.5.1.1 (on HP-UX 10.0) to ASE 12.0 (64= =20 bits on HP-UX 11). My tests shows good and bad performance with queries. I'm very interesting with yours. Can you tell me about them. Thank you. Fran=E7oise GOISLARD DBA=20 =20 Francoise, There are major functional changes in ASE 11.9.2 and above. I'm glad to see you're testing. How did you get the data to 12.0? Have you turned on any of the 12.0 options? HAve you attempted any tuning? What, if anything, have you done so far? If you have a specific problem query that can b...

sql remote ase to ase
can I use sql remote ro replicate data form ase to ase or only from asa to ase and asa to asa ? I would also recommend that you read over the following tech doc; Implementing ASE to ASE Server SQL Remote Replication http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1009730 Ian Bater iAnywhere Solutions Reg Domaratzki wrote: > Just be aware of the limitations pointed out in the documentation when using ASE as a remote database. > > Replication and Synchronization Guide > PART 4. Appendixes > APPENDIX A. Enterprise and Anywhere: Differences > > Limitations ...

sql-remote between ASE and ASE
hello! sql-remote document don't give us help with replication with ASE and ASE. i need detail how to do it. i use ASE12 + NT4.0 + SQL Remote6.0.2 . i test it in the list 1�� define messagetype : smtp 2�� define use_name :one is publisher,the other is remote user_name 3�� define publisher,publication,subscription 4��execute ssremote.exe to receive or send message I failed at the step of extract database .i don't extract the database . please help me ,tell me the datail of sql-remote confige. Thanks a lot , ...

Replication between ASE and ASE URGENT
HI everybody Can you help me please with the following question. We need to syncronize ASE to ASE ( bidirectional) Initially, it was planned to implement with SQL remote, but it isn't available. With replication server, it isn't a solution beacuse, the customer doesn=B4t have a comunntication channel all time. We think use Mobiliink Server to replictase ASE to ASE, but using an ASA in the middle, so that, first it replicate ASE to ASA, and later, ASA to ASE, is it this feasible ??? Thanks four your answer "Marco" <mbarrion@uniplex.com.ec> wr...

Web resources about - ASE performance - sybase.ase.general

Andrew Bogut puts back issues behind him in return performance against Utah Jazz
Andrew Bogut's third double-double of the NBA season shows he is ready for the Christmas Day clash with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ars Technica’s (virtual) Performance Car of the Year
... coming out of the very slow turns 11 and 12. Brakes could be better. 18 more images in gallery 2015 has been the year of the performance car ...

Cam Newton Comments on Panthers' Performance in Loss to Falcons - Bleacher Report
The 1972 Miami Dolphins can rest easy, but the rest of the NFL will have to deal with an even more determined Cam Newton after the Carolina Panthers ...

How Twitter used Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Improve Notification Performance
... Advocate In October, we published a blog post about how Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) works with Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to bring performance ...

Peyton Manning denies performance-enhancing drugs allegation - Business Insider Deutschland
"The allegation that I would do something like that is complete garbage and is totally made up. It never happened. Never."

How to make your performance review meaningful
Make your performance review meaningful Image by Thinkstock There's a prevailing opinion that performance reviews aren't the best way to evaluate ...

Wingels evaluates personal performance vs Hawks, reflects on year
... 58° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Wingels evaluates personal performance ...

Deadline’s The Contenders: How The Music In ‘Youth’ Became Such A Vital Part Of Michael Caine’s Performance ...
At Deadline’s big awards season day long event last month , The Contenders Presented By Deadline, Youth composer David Lang explained his process ...

Peyton Manning HGH Allegations - Peyton Manning Accused of Using Performance-Enhancing Drugs to Recover ...
... from a severe neck injury. An explosive report by Al Jazeera alleges that an Indianapolis clinic sent human growth hormone and other performance-enhancing ...