ASE File Access - Extended File System

Hi,

I'd like to know if I can use easily the eXtended File System option to
store PDF files, or if it better to store them as text or image files.

I'll have a EAServer getting this files for the Web.

What are the best choices in it?

Regards
Rui

0
Rui

My opinion is that the best choices are, in order:

a) Don't store the file in ASE at all, just store a URL to it that the
   web can use to download the PDF file.
b) Use XFS to avoid the overhead of text/image
c) Use IMAGE

Rui Ribeiro wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to know if I can use easily the eXtended File System option to
> store PDF files, or if it better to store them as text or image files.
>
> I'll have a EAServer getting this files for the Web.
>
> What are the best choices in it?
>
> Regards
> Rui
0
Bret

I think that probably I'll use the XFS in order to ASE make all the
management for me of the files. Am I correct?

In order to make a get file with XFS, how can I do it, because I trying to
search for documentation and I don't get them.

Thanks,
Rui
"Bret Halford" <bret@sybase.com> wrote in message
> My opinion is that the best choices are, in order:
>
> a) Don't store the file in ASE at all, just store a URL to it that the
>    web can use to download the PDF file.
> b) Use XFS to avoid the overhead of text/image
> c) Use IMAGE
>

> Rui Ribeiro wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to know if I can use easily the eXtended File System option to
> > store PDF files, or if it better to store them as text or image files.
> >
> > I'll have a EAServer getting this files for the Web.
> >
> > What are the best choices in it?
> >
> > Regards
> > Rui

0
Rui

ASE on Oracle Cluster File System or Redhat Global File System
I would like to know whether ASE running on Oracle Cluster File System(OCFS) or Redhat Global File System. (GFS) Does anybody know about this ? (Web site, documentation, and useful resources.) GFS http://www.redhat.com/software/rha/gfs/ OCFS http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs/ Thank you for your advice -- hiro. I've tried ASE-15 on OCFS2 and it's run without any problem (RHEL4.4). I haven't tried it on RH-GFS. Niksa Jurinovic niksa@jurinovic.de Hiroyuki Sato wrote: > > I would like to know whether ASE running on Oracle > Cluster...

ASE 12.5 File System Access??
Windows NT4.0 - ASE 12.5 Has any one tried file system access or directory access of ASE 12.5? Create proxy_table table_name external directory at "D:\cmdoc;R" When I try to execute this, jisql kept on going... with out any error. Any help? Thanks in advance. Mathew. I have been evaluating this same functionality on a Sun box. The inserts to the proxy table work fine for me, but there are major issues: 1). Successful inserts of filetype = "REG" have null content colums; 2). No global variable available to grab the id of the last row entered. So...

any issues to restore dump file of ASE 12.0 (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ?
Hi, Does anyone know whether there is an issue that we restore the dump file (not master and system db) of ASE 12.0 (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ? Assume that both system DBs are the same. Cheers paul > Hi, > > Does anyone know whether there is an issue that we restore > the dump file (not master and system db) of ASE 12.0 > (32bit) to a ASE 12.0 (64bit) system ? Assume that both > system DBs are the same. > > Cheers > paul If you have a recent ebf of ASE 12.0 (say 12.0.0.4 or later) than no problem. Earlier ebfs had a few problems....

protecting file system from direct access to files
I am writing an asp.net website using windows live ID authentication. We will have a lot of pdf, word and excel files whose accessibility will depend on the WLID. How can I ensure that people looking over the shoulder cannot view those files directly? I am guessing 2 ways, but maybe you have more/better: 1. hide the url and give the files random names (I dont know how to hide the url in asp.net) 2. store the files in a non-accessible directory and temporary copy over the file required to an accesible directory with a random file name. The file will be deleted after a preset time ...

ASE and ASE

to file:// or not to file://
(Firefox 1.5.0.6) I'm having trouble with HTML Anchors (links) using the file: protocol. The URL I'm trying to get at looks something like this file://///Host.Domain/Share/Dir1/Dir2/File.Ext If I click on the link, /nothing/ happens but, if I "Copy Link Location" and paste exactly the same thing into the "address bar" in FireFox, FireFox is perfectly happy to show me the file. Why the difference? Am I tripping over some security restriction here? Any suggestions? TIA, Phill W. Phill W. wrote: > (Firefox 1.5.0.6) > I'm ...

ASE to ASE

iOS: Is it possible to access files from windows file system (SMB) ?
Is there a way to connect to a windows-filesystem from a firemonkey mobile APP ? I would like to search/upload/download files from a windows-machine... Thank you in advance ...

LINUX DEVELOPER ASE FILE Access
Dose LINUX DEVELOPER ASE supports 'File Access'? Can I create proxy table to a directory? <Sam> wrote in message news:41ed7819.76b2.1681692777@sybase.com... > Dose LINUX DEVELOPER ASE supports 'File Access'? Can I > create proxy table to a directory? Assuming you mean the Developer's Edition of ASE for Linux -- yes, it does include this functionality. HTH, Rob ------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0 and Replication Server 12.5 / TeamSybase Au...

Tempdb on ASE 15 -- raw or file system?
Hi all, I thought I had remembered reading that the recommendation for whether to put tempdb on raw storage vs. a file system file had changed. I took a look around, but didn't see anything on it. What's the current recommendation for creating tempdb in ASE 15? We're using 64-bit on AIX. Larry Coon University of California I don't remember hearing any particular recommendations, but the decision usually is based on several factors including the workload of the server, whether your OS supports async io to filesystem devices, the nature of the disk subsystem ...

ASE 15 can access data in files?
eWeek has a story about ASE 15 in the 9/12/2005 edition, entitled "Latest Sybase ASE grows up". Towards the end is this: "The database offers extended services for directly accessing unstructured data within operating system files that are now bundled--as opposed to sold separately--with the base server". This sounds like the Content Management option that's currently available (for a price) with ASE 12.5. But I can't find any mention of this functionality in the ASE 15 docs. If ASE 15 can indeed query data in flat files, where can I find more informat...

mount a file system (rw) over a (ro) file system
Hi, I would like to mount a file system (rw) over a (ro) file system. The fstab will be something like this: /dev/hda1 swap swap defaults 0 0 /dev/hda2 /mnt/x ext3 noatime,ro 0 0 /dev/hda3 /mnt/x ext3 noatime 0 0 I once used a kernel patch to do this, but I can�t remember the name. thanks -- aloliv ------------------------------------------------------------------------ A unionfs mount perhaps? -- ken_yap ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ken_yap's Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?useri...

Download file with long file name to drive with FAT file system
Hello downloading a file with long file name to a FAT file system does with Firefox ( set MOZ_NO_RWS=1 , not tested with RWS support jet ) 1. 2.0.0.14 GA Mike Kaplys Built --> msg Box with Warning 2. 3.0.0 GA, 3.0.1 GA and 3.0.2pre 2008-07-23 no Mesages box and no opening of the download window, just some Disk I/O Can anyone please confirm? kind regards Rainer On 07/24/08 08:50 am, Rainer Stroebel wrote: > Hello > > downloading a file with long file name to a FAT file system > does with Firefox ( set MOZ_NO_RWS=1 , not tested with ...

File is not accessible after File.Create()
When I use File.Create(filename) method, file is created but it is inaccessible until application closes. That means I cannot add any text lines to this file which is my intention. Is there some method to end File.Create like StreamReader.Close() or something ? Did you use file.open method to write to that file. Make sure to check the folder permissions. You should give ASPNET Machine Account write permissions to that folder. If you do not have one listed, Add user ASPNET and give him appropriate permissions. Hope this will help. This should work, although FileStream don't let you d...

How to delete a file from the file system
Hi, Is there any module which has methods that can be used to delete a file from the filesystem in the windows NT environment. Thanks in Advance Chinku __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com Hmmmm..... Look at "perldoc -f unlink" .... > -----Original Message----- >=20 > Hi, >=20 > Is there any module which has methods that can be used to=20 > delete a file from the filesystem in the > windows NT environment. >=20 > Thanks in Advance >...

Web resources about - ASE File Access - Extended File System - sybase.ase.general

Extended play - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
EPs were released in various sizes in different eras. The earliest multi-track records, issued around 1919 by Grey Gull Records , were vertically ...

Extended Speech Assessment Methods Phonetic Alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Extended Speech Assessment Methods Phonetic Alphabet (X-SAMPA) is a variant of SAMPA developed in 1995 by John C. Wells , professor of phonetics ...

Extended Profile Properties - Facebook-Entwickler
These Permissions cannot be revoked in the Login Dialog during the login flow, meaning they are non-optional for Users when logging into your ...

Policy Watch: Facebook Adds New Platform Policies on Photo Tagging, Extended Permissions
... last fall, the Facebook Platform team has announced three new additions to its official Platform Policy regarding photo tagging, extended permissions, ...

Public Enemies : Bonnie & Clyde - Extended Edition HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Public Enemies : Bonnie & Clyde - Extended Edition HD on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

$620m Darlington upgrade set to be extended by 1km - AdelaideNow Search Search
THE $620 million Darlington upgrade is set to be extended by a kilometre, north of Tonsley Boulevard, under a proposal announced today.

$620m Darlington upgrade set to be extended by 1km
THE $620 million Darlington upgrade is set to be extended by a kilometre, north of Tonsley Boulevard, under a proposal announced today.

European investigation into legality of Apple’s tax arrangements in Ireland expanded & extended
... now seeking additional information from the Irish government, reports the FT . This means that the investigation is likely to be extended well ...

Nissan will offer a range-extended EV in 2016
Filed under: Green , Nissan , Electric , Future An engineer in Nissan's EV and hybrid division says the brand will introduce an EV with a range-extender ...

VW gets extended deadline from Calif. for diesel emissions plan review
Stories about government regulation and oversight of the automotive industry, as well as coverage of safety developments and enhancements.