ASE 12.5 ODBC Connection Pooling

I'm trying to setup an ASE ODBC connection pool on a Win2003 server.  The
Sybase Open Client has been installed on the server, and when I go into ODBC
Administrator, System DSN, and create a new Sybase connection, I get the
ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol Driver Setup screen.  I enter the parameters and
click Test Connection, where I get prompted for Login ID and Password.  When
I enter these values, it connects fine.  I suspect that for the connection
pool to work, you need to somehow supply these values outside of the
application (PB12 .NET assembly as a webservice).  Can someone let me know
how to save these values so the pool will work?

KR,
Connection pooling is done  my an application middleware piece that is generally coded by developers.
Clients connect to Application middle ware servers and these servers do connection pooling into a dbms such as ASE.
Clients->AppServer>dbms.

The ODBS Administrator is just going to define the connection for simple utilites like MS-Access/Excell/MS-SQL.

Your question would better be posted in the Sybase.public.Connectivity.ODBC group or a PB.general group.

--
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
"K R" <kjr_23@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message news:4bdf1070@forums-1-dub...
> I'm trying to setup an ASE ODBC connection pool on a Win2003 server.  The
> Sybase Open Client has been installed on the server, and when I go into ODBC
> Administrator, System DSN, and create a new Sybase connection, I get the
> ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol Driver Setup screen.  I enter the parameters and
> click Test Connection, where I get prompted for Login ID and Password.  When
> I enter these values, it connects fine.  I suspect that for the connection
> pool to work, you need to somehow supply these values outside of the
> application (PB12 .NET assembly as a webservice).  Can someone let me know
> how to save these values so the pool will work?

0
Cory
5/4/2010 4:10:05 AM
Thanks Cory,
 I've done quite a bit of work with EA Server, Weblogic and Websphere, so
I'm comfortable with connection pooling on the app server side.  I believe
it's new in ODBC, where the driver manages the pool.  I will try posting in
the other group.  I thought that since the Sybase Wire Protocol Driver Setup
screen was unique to ASE that I might have better luck here.

Thanks anyway
Kevin

"Cory Sane [TeamSybase]" <cory!=sane> wrote in message
> KR,
> Connection pooling is done  my an application middleware piece that is
> generally coded by developers.
> Clients connect to Application middle ware servers and these servers do
> connection pooling into a dbms such as ASE.
> Clients->AppServer>dbms.
>
> The ODBS Administrator is just going to define the connection for simple
> utilites like MS-Access/Excell/MS-SQL.
>

> Your question would better be posted in the
> Sybase.public.Connectivity.ODBC group or a PB.general group.
>

> --
> Cory Sane
> [TeamSybase]
> Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
> "K R" <kjr_23@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to setup an ASE ODBC connection pool on a Win2003 server.  The
>> Sybase Open Client has been installed on the server, and when I go into
>> ODBC Administrator, System DSN, and create a new Sybase connection, I get
>> the ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol Driver Setup screen.  I enter the
>> parameters and click Test Connection, where I get prompted for Login ID
>> and Password.  When I enter these values, it connects fine.  I suspect
>> that for the connection pool to work, you need to somehow supply these
>> values outside of the application (PB12 .NET assembly as a webservice).
>> Can someone let me know how to save these values so the pool will work?

Le 04/05/2010 14:47, K R a �crit :
> Thanks Cory,
>   I've done quite a bit of work with EA Server, Weblogic and Websphere, so
> I'm comfortable with connection pooling on the app server side.  I believe
> it's new in ODBC, where the driver manages the pool.  I will try posting in
> the other group.  I thought that since the Sybase Wire Protocol Driver Setup
> screen was unique to ASE that I might have better luck here.
>
> Thanks anyway
> Kevin
>
> "Cory Sane [TeamSybase]"<cory!=sane>  wrote in message
>> KR,
>> Connection pooling is done  my an application middleware piece that is
>> generally coded by developers.
>> Clients connect to Application middle ware servers and these servers do
>> connection pooling into a dbms such as ASE.
>> Clients->AppServer>dbms.
>>
>> The ODBS Administrator is just going to define the connection for simple
>> utilites like MS-Access/Excell/MS-SQL.
>>

>> Your question would better be posted in the
>> Sybase.public.Connectivity.ODBC group or a PB.general group.
>>

>> --
>> Cory Sane
>> [TeamSybase]
>> Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
>> "K R"<kjr_23@yahoo.com.nospam>  wrote in message
>>> I'm trying to setup an ASE ODBC connection pool on a Win2003 server.  The
>>> Sybase Open Client has been installed on the server, and when I go into
>>> ODBC Administrator, System DSN, and create a new Sybase connection, I get
>>> the ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol Driver Setup screen.  I enter the
>>> parameters and click Test Connection, where I get prompted for Login ID
>>> and Password.  When I enter these values, it connects fine.  I suspect
>>> that for the connection pool to work, you need to somehow supply these
>>> values outside of the application (PB12 .NET assembly as a webservice).
>>> Can someone let me know how to save these values so the pool will work?

As far as I know, this driver is developed by Data Direct. You should
try to get support from them.

Emmanuel
0
ET

ASE 12.5 to ASE 12.5.3
One of our client is having 3 no license for ASE 12.5 on Win2K (running 3 production servers) and not in the support/AMC with Sybase.. is client eligible to use ASE 12.5.3 ? Thanks KRV ...

ASE Workplace 12.5 vs ASE Enterprise 12.5
Can anyone tell me what are the differences in the 2 packaging of ASE? TIA Himadri Hi Himadri, The main and I guess the only difference is price which is for WP ~= 4 times less. Category depends from machine level, for example for Sun the upper bound for WP is Sun E450 + 3 new XXXR. Go to http://eshop.sybase.com where you can see prices and in the help the up-to-date list of machines with category HTH, Eugene Himadri Laifangbam wrote: > Can anyone tell me what are the differences in the 2 packaging of ASE? > > TIA > Himadri For NT any machines up t...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

Dump on ASE 12.5.2 and Load on ASE 12.5.3
Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? It is possible to dump a database in 12.5.2 and load it onto 12.5.3. -bret Leandro wrote: > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12.5.2 and > later making one load of this archive in ASE 12.5.3? I recently dumped from 12.0 & loaded to 12.5, was pleasantly surprised the load process upgraded the database automatically. <Leandro> wrote in message news:425d7e31.7943.1681692777@sybase.com... > Is possible to make one dump database in ASE 12...

ASE 12.5 Small Business vs. ASE 12.5 Enterprise
Hi, Does anyone know the Technical offering different between these 2 products. Looking for docs on limitations of this ASE Small Business edition. Is it available on all platforms ? I have worked with the ASE Eneterprise editions but may have a new project that won't require the full blown Enterprise edition. thanks "Robert Furlong" <rfurlong@fame.com> wrote in message news:3E305851.80AA820@fame.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know the Technical offering different between these 2 > products. > Looking for docs on limitations of this ASE Sm...

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

ASE 12.5.2 or ASE 12.5.3 on Solaris 10
Hi there! Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE on Solaris 10? I have tried to search around on sybase.com, but without any luck. I'm particulary looking into zones/containers with ASE and if there is any issues regarding this. Any help is much appreciated. ..prn Hi, As for as i known there aren't whitepapers or docu. I have a couple of boxes with ASE in a zone. So if you have questions mail me. Sjaak Preben Olsen wrote: > Hi there! > > Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE > on Solaris 10? I h...

Does ASE 12.5.3 IR is a EBF for ASE 12.5.2?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090403060603000107000502 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I noticed that release description of ASE 12.5.3 like the following: *Product Name: * Adaptive Server Enterprise *Platform: * Win NT *Release Version: * 12.5.2 *Release Description: * EBF 12150: 12.5.3 IR *Release Date: * 01 Dec 2004 So it seems that it's a EBF of ASE 12.5.2. But it seems not possible to download it. :( What's the matter? Must pay for that? Best Regards FlyBe...

Differences between ASE 12 and ASE 12.5
Hi! I am in the process to migrate mi ASE from version 11.5.1 to an upper one. I am thinking that the logic step is to go to ASE 12, but I was wondering about the version 12.5. would there be any strong reason why I should choose to upgrade to version 12.5 other than just jumping to a newer version than 12. ? What are the main differences between ASE versions 12 and 12.5? greetings !! =:D We are going from 11.9 to 12.5, skipping 12.0. We have two reasons. First, because we are tired of making regular upgrades and figure we can stay on 12.5 for years whereas...

Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4 or ASE 12.5.3 for Linux?
Hi, all : I want to get the ASE12.5.4(DE) for Linux; but In the sybase.com,just have ASE 15.0.3 for download. Now, Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4(DE or XE) for Linux? Thank you! ----------------- Best Regards! On May 22, 6:10 pm, "Killwind" <killwin...@sina.com> wrote: > Hi, all : > I want to get the ASE12.5.4(DE) for Linux; > but In the sybase.com,just have ASE 15.0.3 for download. > Now, Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4(DE or XE) for Linux? Go to www.sybase.com -- in the upper-right-hand corner is a "Search" box. Search for...

Advantages of 64-bit ASE 12.5 over 32-bit ASE 12.5
What are the advantages of 64-bit Server over 32-bit server ? We are thinking of upgrading our servers from 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to ASE 12.5, But we are stuck while taking a decision about 32-bit or 64-bit. Management wants to know why do we have to go 64-bit while the 32-bit works fine. Thanks RK This document is an FAQ on ASE 64-bit and may be of help: http://www/detail/1,6904,1012280,00.html The only real advantage is the ability to assign a larger amount of memory to ASE, thereby allowing for larger data caches and reduced physical io. HTH, Dave <rk> wrote ...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.4 upgrade path
I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate upgrade to be performed in between? Take a look at the release bulletins and installation guides for your platform. These are the first steps to any upgrade. http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/detail.do?docset=1287 <passerby> wrote in message news:484e9ca8.3f0d.1681692777@sybase.com... >I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to > 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate > upgrade to be performed in between? ...

dump/load from ASE 12.5.1 Tru64 to ASE 12.5 HPUX
Hi evrybody, Do you know if there is a way to load on ASE 12.5.1 HP-UX a dump from ASE 12.5.1 Tru64 ? or a dump from ASE 12.5.1 linux RHEL3 ? nb: support send me a patch 12.5..3 only for backupserver on Tru64 with the one I can make dump from Tru64 12.5.1 to linux 12.51. Thank you. Cecile D. 12.5.3 provides for database dump and loads across platforms with different OS and/or hardware (ie, different endianess). However, there are a few prerequisites ... see the 'New Features' manual for 12.5.3 for details about dumping and loading between different OS/hardware pl...

Web resources about - ASE 12.5 ODBC Connection Pooling - sybase.ase.general

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

Arrest made in connection with California mosque fire
CNN Arrest made in connection with California mosque fire CNN (CNN) A California man was arrested Saturday in connection with a fire at a ...