alter table #3

download 15.5 for testing.

- Create database DB1 (durability = full)
- Create table TB1
- Backed up database DB1
- inserted 1 row in TB1
- Backed up tran for DB1
- inserted 2nd row in TB1
- Backed up tran for DB1
- Altered table TB1 set dml_logging to minimum
- Backed up tran for DB1
- inserted 3rd row in TB1
- Backuped up tran for DB1

When i restored DB1 and apply all logs, i still get all 3
rows in TB1 ( what did dml_logging = minimal do in this case
), i thought it will not let me dump tran but it did, i
thought if I restore all tran dumps i would not have 3rd row
but the transaction dump did have the 3rd row. If recover
upto last but 1 tran then I see only 2 rows.

ASE_RDDB
0
jobless

I haven't played with dml_logging (yet), and I can't tell from your post if you've left out some of your details (eg,
dboption settings) ... so fwiw ... from the IMDB Users Guide:

re: database-level logging:

"You must set the database�s select into option to on for minimal logging to take effect."

re: table-level logging:

"You can execute minimally logged DML commands on a table only if the database has the select into database option
turned on; otherwise, all DML commands are fully logged."

re: session-level logging:

"Minimal DML logging requires that the select into database option is turned on, which requires a database owner or
sa_role privilege."

All 3 levels of log control state the need to have a db configured with 'select into' enabled.  And from the table-level
comment it kinda sounds like the dml_logging setting is silently ignored if the database has not been configured with
'select into' enabled.

Sooooo, did you enable 'select into' for DB1?

jobless wrote:
> download 15.5 for testing.
>
> - Create database DB1 (durability = full)
> - Create table TB1
> - Backed up database DB1
> - inserted 1 row in TB1
> - Backed up tran for DB1
> - inserted 2nd row in TB1
> - Backed up tran for DB1
> - Altered table TB1 set dml_logging to minimum
> - Backed up tran for DB1
> - inserted 3rd row in TB1
> - Backuped up tran for DB1
>
> When i restored DB1 and apply all logs, i still get all 3
> rows in TB1 ( what did dml_logging = minimal do in this case
> ), i thought it will not let me dump tran but it did, i
> thought if I restore all tran dumps i would not have 3rd row
> but the transaction dump did have the 3rd row. If recover
> upto last but 1 tran then I see only 2 rows.
>
> ASE_RDDB
-1
Mark
--------------020404020607050608060609

On 05-Jan-2011 21:35, jobless wrote:
> download 15.5 for testing.
>
> - Create database DB1 (durability = full)
> - Create table TB1
> - Backed up database DB1
> - inserted 1 row in TB1
> - Backed up tran for DB1
> - inserted 2nd row in TB1
> - Backed up tran for DB1
> - Altered table TB1 set dml_logging to minimum
> - Backed up tran for DB1
> - inserted 3rd row in TB1
> - Backuped up tran for DB1
>
> When i restored DB1 and apply all logs, i still get all 3
> rows in TB1 ( what did dml_logging = minimal do in this case
> ), i thought it will not let me dump tran but it did, i
> thought if I restore all tran dumps i would not have 3rd row
> but the transaction dump did have the 3rd row. If recover
> upto last but 1 tran then I see only 2 rows.
>
> ASE_RDDB

On line #2 you indicated you created DB1 with durability = full.
Minimally logged DML only applies to IMDB and RDDB database (i.e. having
durability=no_recovery or =at_shutdown), not to full-durability databases.
Any attempt to use ML-DML in any database other than IMDB or RDDB will
be silently ignored.
You can verify this by running 'set show_exec_info on': this will print
the actual DML mode for every statement executed. I predict you'll see
that full logging mode is used in your DB1.

HTH,

Rob V.
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks&  Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl  | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
Sypron B.V., The Netherlands  |  Chamber of Commerce 27138666

--------------020404020607050608060609

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    <tt>On 05-Jan-2011 21:35, jobless wrote:</tt>
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap=""><tt>download 15.5 for testing.

- Create database DB1 (durability = full)
- Create table TB1
- Backed up database DB1
- inserted 1 row in TB1
- Backed up tran for DB1
- inserted 2nd row in TB1
- Backed up tran for DB1
- Altered table TB1 set dml_logging to minimum
- Backed up tran for DB1
- inserted 3rd row in TB1
- Backuped up tran for DB1

When i restored DB1 and apply all logs, i still get all 3
rows in TB1 ( what did dml_logging = minimal do in this case
), i thought it will not let me dump tran but it did, i
thought if I restore all tran dumps i would not have 3rd row
but the transaction dump did have the 3rd row. If recover
upto last but 1 tran then I see only 2 rows.

ASE_RDDB
</tt></pre>
    <tt><br>
      On line #2 you indicated you created DB1 with durability = full.<br>
      Minimally logged DML only applies to IMDB and RDDB database (i.e.
      having durability=no_recovery or =at_shutdown), not to
      full-durability databases.<br>
      Any attempt to use ML-DML in any database other than IMDB or RDDB
      will be silently ignored. <br>
      You can verify this by running 'set show_exec_info on': this will
      print the actual DML mode for every statement executed. I predict
      you'll see that full logging mode is used in your DB1. <br>
    </tt>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72"><tt>HTH,

Rob V.
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://www.sypron.nl/shop">www.sypron.nl/shop</a>):
"Tips, Tricks &amp; Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

Sypron B.V., The Netherlands  |  Chamber of Commerce 27138666
</tt></pre>

--------------020404020607050608060609--
1
Rob
1/5/2011 10:14:30 PM
Thanks for the document name, i did not read it - will have
to read it. I just read the reference manual which indicated
DML will not be logged.

I certainly did not issue sp_dboption for DB1 after I
created it.
After reading your post I was certain that 'select into' was
not enabled.

But now i checked it is enabled for DB1. Actually i was
doing some tempdb test earlier and had enabled 'select into'
for the model database. When i created DB1 'select into' was
inherited and enabled for DB1.

> I haven't played with dml_logging (yet), and I can't tell
> from your post if you've left out some of your details (eg
> ,  dboption settings) ... so fwiw ... from the IMDB Users
> Guide:
>
> re: database-level logging:
>
> "You must set the database=92s select into option to on
for
> minimal logging to take effect."
>
> re: table-level logging:
>
> "You can execute minimally logged DML commands on a table
> only if the database has the select into database option
> turned on; otherwise, all DML commands are fully logged."
>
> re: session-level logging:
>
> "Minimal DML logging requires that the select into
> database option is turned on, which requires a database
> owner or  sa_role privilege."
>
> All 3 levels of log control state the need to have a db
> configured with 'select into' enabled.  And from the
> table-level  comment it kinda sounds like the dml_logging
> setting is silently ignored if the database has not been
> configured with  'select into' enabled.
>
> Sooooo, did you enable 'select into' for DB1?
>
> jobless wrote:
> > download 15.5 for testing.
> >
> > - Create database DB1 (durability =3d full)
> > - Create table TB1
> > - Backed up database DB1
> > - inserted 1 row in TB1
> > - Backed up tran for DB1
> > - inserted 2nd row in TB1
> > - Backed up tran for DB1
> > - Altered table TB1 set dml_logging to minimum
> > - Backed up tran for DB1
> > - inserted 3rd row in TB1
> > - Backuped up tran for DB1
> >
> > When i restored DB1 and apply all logs, i still get all
> > 3 rows in TB1 ( what did dml_logging =3d minimal do in
> > this case ), i thought it will not let me dump tran but
> > it did, i thought if I restore all tran dumps i would
> > not have 3rd row but the transaction dump did have the
> > 3rd row. If recover upto last but 1 tran then I see only
> > 2 rows.
> > ASE_RDDB
0
jobless
1/6/2011 12:09:19 AM
Thanks Rob, that confirms why I see 3 rows after restore.

> On 05-Jan-2011 21:35, jobless wrote:
> > download 15.5 for testing.
> >
> > - Create database DB1 (durability = full)
> > - Create table TB1
> > - Backed up database DB1
> > - inserted 1 row in TB1
> > - Backed up tran for DB1
> > - inserted 2nd row in TB1
> > - Backed up tran for DB1
> > - Altered table TB1 set dml_logging to minimum
> > - Backed up tran for DB1
> > - inserted 3rd row in TB1
> > - Backuped up tran for DB1
> >
> > When i restored DB1 and apply all logs, i still get all
> > 3 rows in TB1 ( what did dml_logging = minimal do in
> > this case ), i thought it will not let me dump tran but
> > it did, i thought if I restore all tran dumps i would
> > not have 3rd row but the transaction dump did have the
> > 3rd row. If recover upto last but 1 tran then I see only
> 2 rows. >
> > ASE_RDDB
>
> On line #2 you indicated you created DB1 with durability =
> full. Minimally logged DML only applies to IMDB and RDDB
> database (i.e. having  durability=no_recovery or
> =at_shutdown), not to full-durability databases. Any
> attempt to use ML-DML in any database other than IMDB or
> RDDB will  be silently ignored.
> You can verify this by running 'set show_exec_info on':
> this will print  the actual DML mode for every statement
> executed. I predict you'll see  that full logging mode is
> used in your DB1.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob V.
> ------- Rob Verschoor
>
> Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE
> 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0 and Replication Server
> 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase
>
> Author of Sybase books (order online at
> www.sypron.nl/shop): "Tips, Tricks&  Recipes for Sybase
> ASE" (ASE 15 edition) "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick
> Reference Guide" "The Complete Sybase Replication Server
> Quick Reference Guide"
>
> rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl  | Twitter:
> @rob_verschoor Sypron B.V., The Netherlands  |  Chamber of
> Commerce 27138666
> -------

0
jobless
1/6/2011 12:11:17 AM
The thing with ML-DML is that you cannot force it: by setting the
dml_logging options you allow it to be used, but ASE may decide to do
full logging anyway  in a number of cases.

R.

--
Dear Sybase user,

I am currently unable to respond to the specific question(s) which you have sent me. Due to the ever increasing number of questions I am receiving, I currently simply don't have the time to answer detailed individual questions.
Please post your question to one of the ASE-related newsgroups so that the ASE community can participate/benefit.
These newsgoups are comp.databases.sybase (Usenet), as well as various newsgroups on Sybase's own news server (forums.sybase.com).
Also, please provide sufficient technical details (error messages, actual queries, query plans, etc.) about your problem.
Try the Sybase FAQ at http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ/, which contains answers to many questions about ASE.

Kind regards,

Rob Verschoor

If you don't want to use X Windows, you could try "sybinit4ever", a free tool which uses only an ASCII interface to create a new ASE server. It can be downloaded from http://www.sypron.nl/si4evr.html

See the
ASE reference manual / System Administration Guide / Transact-SQL user's guide
This / These books can be viewed or downloaded as PDF files from the Sybase website http://www.sybase.com/support/manuals/ . For more details how to get there, see http://www.sypron.nl/sybbooks.html .

For more information on the background of this problem, as well as a solution, see http://www.sypron.nl/idgaps.html .

.... syntax and description are in the ASE Quick Reference Supplement, which you can download from http://www.sypron.nl/ase_qref.html (for a better version, see my book -- www.sypron.nl/qr).

To use dynamic SQL, you need at least ASE version 12.0, which has the "execute immediate" feature for this. In earlier versions of ASE you can simulate some types of dynamic SQL though; for more information, see http://www.sypron.nl/dynsql.html and http://www.sypron.nl/dynsqlcis.html .

For more information about Sybase Certification Exams, see http://www.sypron.nl/certtips.html .

The ASE Performance and Tuning Guide contains a lot fo info about this topic. You can download this manual from http://sybooks.sybase.com/as.html .

HTH,

Rob V.
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks&  Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl  | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
Sypron B.V., The Netherlands  |  Chamber of Commerce 27138666

Rob

Alter ASE Table
What is the safest and accepted method of altering an ASE table column (i.e. from VARCHAR(20) to VARCHAR(55))? Using ASE 12.0, the ALTER TABLE <name> MODIFY ... command. Using previous versions, either bcp out, drop the original table and recreate it with the desired column datatype, bcp back in or select into another table specifying "convert(varchar(55), <oldcolumn>)" for that column, drop the original table, sp_rename the new table, create indexes, triggers, constraints, etc. -bret dave wrote: > What is the safest and accepted method of a...

ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12
We're planning to upgrade our existing environment from ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12. Are there any problems we should be aware of? ...

Hello, When we load a dump of our database, from our ASE 12.5.3 server into our ASE 15 (same sizes, options etc), we find that the table_ID's are different(newly created), but no mapping exist to the old table id's used. So the newly migrated procedures that depend on these tables and still seem to reference the old table ID's somewhere, fail unless entirely dropped and recreated. SP_RECOMPILE does NOT help! They problem persists. It fails when executed and we can't necessarily recompile all.. Any ideas, please let me know Liz > Hello, > > When...

ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12 #2
We're planning to upgrade our existing environment from ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE 12. Are there any problems we should be aware of? Anatoly, Check for datatype mismatches - int -> smallint, datetime->smalldatetime, etc.. (the P&T Guide has a section on this). Also make sure to run update statistics on all your user tables. Hope this helps, Eric Miner Sr. Engineer DST Engineering Optimizer Group Anatoly_Reznik wrote: > We're planning to upgrade our existing environment from ASE 11.0.3.3 to ASE > 12. Are there any problems we should be aware of? ...

when I want to get a value by 3 tables, how to join 3 tables?
I'm doing DTS and need to write a SQL Query for what data have to move and what data have to deleted I have many tables need to difference query. this one is one of tables Table-Account0 column   EAIndex  、BillerCode、ChainCode、PostDate、PostAmount、BalanceDate、BillBegDate、BillEndDate、BillCount、ChAmount  Table-Biller  CompanyCode、BilerCode、BillerName、UniformNo、BusCode、AcctNo、BillerInfoList Table-DataBackup column CompanyCode、Keepmonth when I'm doing SQL DTS, in Table Account0 , I need to select the data which BalanceDate is < today's Date-6 --...

alter table.. modify in ASE
Hello, I tried to modify a column and allow it to contain null values. In ASA I'd use: alter table table_name modify column_name null. I cannto do this in ASE. Is it possible? Thanks in advance... Hi, Yes, it is possible. Please keep in minde that this command requires the dboption "select into/bulkcopy/pllsort" set "on". Regards ALPER ONEY SYBASE DBA I.S.E TAKASBANK INC "Piotr Nadolny" <pnad@o2.pl> wrote in message news:400fd490$1@forums-1-dub... > Hello, > > I tried to modify a column and allow it to contain null ...

alter table of table A causes trigger on table B accesseng table A to fail
hi, i recently faced a strange problem, i have two tables, table A and table B table A has a update trigger which updates data in table B. i altered table B to add two more columns. after which when i updated table A(modifying 1 row), my tran log got full. there was a threshold proc which got fired but it did'nt help much. i though the tables had been corrupted. ran dbcc tablealloc on syslogs, table A, table B, no errors. Just to be sure I ran a dbcc checkdb, checkalloc and checkcatalog - no errors i recreated the trigger - no use. dropped the trigger. updated the table it ...

grant alter table, drop table, truncate table
Granting Object Permissions I'm looking for a possibility to grant alter table, drop table and truncate table to a user or a group who is not the owner of that table. Also I don't want to give this user or group the sa or sso role. Does someone know a possible solution? Joerg Armbruster jarmbruster@quoka.com This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------858C4374005D95B10660EFB9 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit Joerg, You can not grant these permissions to anyone other thanin the case of alter table ...

ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2 on same box
Hi evereyone, I would like to install 2 ASE servers with different versions on same linux box. Is this possible? Here is what I tried to do: I have a working ASE 11.9.2 on linux box tried to install ASE 11.0.3.3 on same box in different directory and it gave me an error. Wondering if this ispossible at all. Appreciate any help. TIA ar The 11.0.3.3 rpm tries to uninstall the 11.9.2 package. I shutdown the 11.9.2 server before install 11.0.3.3 and I do not keep the both versions running. The variables SYBASE, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH must be correctly set to point the...

Vulnerability of ASE 12.5.2 vs ASE 12.5.3 ESD#3
Recently, Application Security, Inc. has run a vulnerability test on our ASE12.5.2. The program gave a 'high risk' on the ASE12.5.2 and suggested we install the latest Sybase patch 12.5.3 ESD#3. I have some question on the recommendation. 1. The latest patch is definitely not 12.5.3 ESD#3. Why did the program recommend 12.5.3 ESD#3? Isn't 12.5.4 better than 12.5.3? 2. Is it practical to keep up with the latest releases or patches? Now if we upgrade to 12.5.4 and then rerun the vulnerability test, will the program suggest that newer version is better with respect to s...

Create Table and Alter table:
  Hi All,  I am using SQl server studio management to create table. How to set two attributes as a primary key: composite key. like ( proj_id, emp id) both as primary key. How to specify the forign key constraint. using alter table Please give me the example: don't syntax which msdn gives.   Thanks and Regards   Abdul M.G Hi,Look at this. 1 CREATE TABLE Menu 2 ( 3 MenuId int, 4 Title varchar(50), 5 Url varchar(256), 6 ParentId int NULL 7 ) 8 9 ALTER TABLE Menu ADD CONSTRAINT MenuId PRIMARY KEY 10 ...

Alter table not working ASE 12.5
Can someone tell me if there is anything wrong with my syntax for Alter Table (see messages below). Thanks. 2> drop proc addCostAndClaimnum 3> go 1> 2> create proc addCostAndClaimnum as 3> begin 4> alter table newMacsisComplete add COST decimal(5,2) default 0.00, CLAIMNUM varchar (20) default null, UNITS double precision default null 5> end 6> go 1> 2> addCostAndClaimnum 3> go Msg 4998, Level 16, State 1: Procedure 'addCostAndClaimnum', Line 4: ALTER TABLE 'newMacsisComplete' failed. Default value cannot be NULL when...

Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Aix 4.3.3
After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears when I try to execute a strore procedure : Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds the maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query (return status = -6). Is it a bug on ASE 12.5? Why could I run correctly this procedure on the old version? Fabien DUBOIS Fabien DUBOIS wrote: > > After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears > when I try to execute a strore procedure : > > Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggr...

Alter Table against system tables
Hello, Just a quick question. How can Alter Table be used in Powerbuilder so that when the desired table is altered ex: Alter Table tblemployees Add col_name... the pb system table is updated with the change as well. Thanks, Brian ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp IIRC, the table painter will handle that for you. I usually pause to capture the DDL from the SQL view to save in a file for later promotion before saving the changes. If you use alter table in a script, you are going to have to write your own scri...

Web resources about - alter table #3 - sybase.ase.general

Alter Südfriedhof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The cemetery was established in 1563, during the reign of Albert V, Duke of Bavaria , for victims of the plague and located outside the city ...

How Facebook’s Timeline Alters Your Wall Moderation
Timeline for brand pages offers more ways to moderate wall comments, but they don’t replace the need for third-party tools if you’ve got an active ...

Adam Alter (@adamleealter) on Twitter

Insta Shapes - Snap pics & frame photos to silhouette symbol & alter for posts on IG, Fbook, flicker ...
Get Insta Shapes - Snap pics & frame photos to silhouette symbol & alter for posts on IG, Fbook, flicker, tagged & tumblr on the App Store. See ...

Dark Horizon - Modular Synth Jam (w/ Animoog for iPad, JV1010, Alter-Echo, Mikrophonie) #TTNM - YouTube ...
In this video I improvise some Animoog and Piano sounds over a dark and experimental Eurorack Modular Synth soundscape. Subscribe: http://ww ...

More deadly weaponry for Israelis and Palestinians alters the battlefield
Hamas's Iranian-made rockets can hit Jerusalem but Israel's Iron Dome could be a game changer. Vita Bekker reports from Tel Aviv

Craigslist Ad of the Day: Man Seeks DeLorean to Go Back in Time and Alter Super Bowl XLIX
Great Scott… some people just can’t seem to cope with the Seattle Seahawks losing the Super Bowl this past Sunday. One man has gone so far as ...

China's DF-21 'carrier killer' missile could alter balance of power in Pacific
Display of new weapons shows China wants its rivals to see it as a global power, analysts say.

Black swan event to alter oil market?
As the oil slide continues, expert forecasts influences and a possible black swan event that could change the oil market next year.