Future of ASE

In a recent article

http://www.cbronline.com/content/COMP/magazine/Articles/Features/PowerBase.asp

"Chen's mantra is that the company must be good in every market it operates
in. If it isn't, he either redoubles its efforts or gets out of that space."

So which does Chen plan to do with ASE?  Perhaps he'll address this at
TechWave?

0
Carl
7/30/2005 12:24:21 PM
sybase.ase.futures 376 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Sounds like Jack Welsh @ GE. He sold off small appliances which everyone
said he should not do because thay were the identity of the company.

"Carl Kayser" <kayser_c@bls.gov> wrote in message

> In a recent article

http://www.cbronline.com/content/COMP/magazine/Articles/Features/PowerBase.asp

> "Chen's mantra is that the company must be good in every market it
operates
> in. If it isn't, he either redoubles its efforts or gets out of that
space."

> So which does Chen plan to do with ASE?  Perhaps he'll address this at
> TechWave?

0
Mike
8/16/2005 3:56:55 AM
I believe there are few good people in marketing department
at Sybase - but few of the techniques they must embrace from
Oracle.
Advertistment in print / electronic media. I don't mean ISUG
Journal. A monthly magazine instead of qtrly one.
Concentrate more on Sybase ASE instead of powerbuilder /
pocket builder and all.
Develop relationship with printing industry to churn out
sybase books.
Highlight the short comings and learning from the opponents.
come out something with log miner utility of oracle, RAC and
plenty others.
Oracle and MS SQL Server are undisputed.
Now DB2 is gaining foothold. Repeat orders are OK, but for
survival one needs new order, new outlook, new features and
not those which the competitors has but the one you end up
forcing competitor to build in their products viz. the
stored procedures that all other vendors picked up.May be
someone from SALES will make this thread active.. or someone
who can throw much insight into sybase marketing plan.
0
Hemendra
9/18/2005 3:52:13 PM
In article <432d8cf9.1727.1681692777@sybase.com>,  <Hemendra.> wrote:
>I believe there are few good people in marketing department
>at Sybase - but few of the techniques they must embrace from
>Oracle.
>Advertistment in print / electronic media. I don't mean ISUG
>Journal. A monthly magazine instead of qtrly one.
>Concentrate more on Sybase ASE instead of powerbuilder /
>pocket builder and all.
>Develop relationship with printing industry to churn out
>sybase books.
>Highlight the short comings and learning from the opponents.
>come out something with log miner utility of oracle, RAC and
>plenty others.
>Oracle and MS SQL Server are undisputed.
>Now DB2 is gaining foothold. Repeat orders are OK, but for
>survival one needs new order, new outlook, new features and
>not those which the competitors has but the one you end up
>forcing competitor to build in their products viz. the
>stored procedures that all other vendors picked up.May be
>someone from SALES will make this thread active.. or someone
>who can throw much insight into sybase marketing plan.

The good news is that ASE continues to be a solid, reliable database
with ASE 15, and the new features look good. Some are playing catch-up
with the competition (partitions) but others are defeinitely one step
ahead (encryption).

Unfortunately, the Marketing folks have dropped the ball once again.
While there was some press coverage of ASE 15, it was few and far
between. It doesn't help that Sybase itself only released ONE press
release. For something as long in the making as ASE 15, this was
attrocious.

Sometimes it's difficult to say what is going on. Fortunately, the
products tend to speak for themselves. I'm just disappointed that we've
been talking about this issue for years, yet no one seems to listen.

At ISUG we are trying to do our part. If you have any suggestions as
to things we can do to help you, please let us know.

Mike Harrold
ISUG Membership Director <mike-cuthere@isug.com>

0
Mike
9/19/2005 12:51:58 PM
Thanks Mike. I believe Sybase is concentrating more on
emerging market like China and thereby loosing its grip on
its core market - The US. Even wall st firms, the ones who
used to be die-hard sybase supporters are contemplating on
switching to Oracle due to its various features and the
growth of its user community - developers and DBAs. The
Sybase user community is dwindling may be I'm wrong.  But
I've also switched to oracle - as my organization is moving
over and now we are having more of oracle / sql server and
even DB2.Sybase is a poor cousin. Once it was ruling in my
firm. Due to poor visibility in print and electronic media,
even the management is not aware about the features -
highlight just having a data sheet / feature list on sybase
website wont help. How may CTOs will be hitting on a website
to get that info. It will be only if something is published
they gonna read it.For eg. my manager was not aware of
Release 15. May be he is not on par with others, but he is
aware of other releases / launch of the products that we
don't even use.May be with release 15, sybase will be back
in dominating position. But adding releasing few good
features - even intimating the ones from competitors will
help.
0
Kabir

Web resources about - Future of ASE - sybase.ase.futures

Digital Marketing And Social Media Blog - The Future Buzz
The Future Buzz is the digital marketing and social media blog of Adam Singer, covering everything media, marketing and PR.

Legal Futures - Market intelligence for firms of the future
The number of personal injury claims management companies (CMCs) has fallen below 1,000, it has emerged, down from 2,300 at the start of 2013. ...

Phil of the Future - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Phil of the Future is an American sitcom that originally aired on Disney Channel from June 18, 2004, to August 19, 2006 for a total of two seasons. ...

Future for coal is more uncertain than economists would have you believe
It's clear Australia will have to lift its game if we're not to be seen as global bludgers.

Opinion: Today’s Apple promotions cover executive losses, hint at Apple’s future
... for Apple that focuses on sourcing and manufacturing automotive parts, and Williams is certainly in charge of those tasks, as well as future ...

The future of Acura is coming to Detroit
Filed under: Detroit Auto Show , Acura , Sedan , Concept Cars Here's a teaser for the Acura Precision Concept, a Detroit Auto Show debut that'll ...

Apple’s secret design studio and new ‘Apple store of the future’ to be featured on ’60 Minutes’
Of all the secretive enclaves within Apple , none is more hallowed than Apple's notoriously quarantined design studio. Run by Jony Ive, Apple's ...

I tried Microsoft's 'holographic' headset, and I'm convinced this is the future
It’s been nearly a year since Microsoft surprised everyone by announcing the HoloLens, a sort of helmet-computer that projects virtual images ...

Deployment Or Innovation — Which Road To A Low-Carbon Future?
... wind, grid management) and now just need to focus on deploying them? This [&hellip Deployment Or Innovation — Which Road To A Low-Carbon Future? ...

Dow Jones Industrial Average Futures Down Today as Oil Slump Continues
Good Morning! For Dec. 18, 2015, here’s the top stock market news and stocks to watch… Stock Futures Today Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial ...