tempdb space out

I am doing a simple query that until now has worked (using JDBC).  But I
see that my syslogs is full, I cannot seem to truncate the log and no
matter what space I give to tempdb or my main database (navy) it hangs.
Here is the error message:

Oct 28 15:50:29 2002: DeptManager::getPeoplebydeptid(): Exception :
com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: Can't allocate space for object
'temp worktable' in database 'tempdb' because 'system' segment is
full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the
transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
increase size of the segment.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Joe

0
Joe

By the way I am running ASE12.5 on WIN2000

Joe

Joe Coady wrote:

> I am doing a simple query that until now has worked (using JDBC).  But I
> see that my syslogs is full, I cannot seem to truncate the log and no
> matter what space I give to tempdb or my main database (navy) it hangs.
> Here is the error message:
>
> Oct 28 15:50:29 2002: DeptManager::getPeoplebydeptid(): Exception :
> com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: Can't allocate space for object
> 'temp worktable' in database 'tempdb' because 'system' segment is
> full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the
> transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to
> increase size of the segment.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> TIA
> Joe

0
Joe
10/28/2002 9:48:27 PM
Hi Joe...
This problem is related to the logsegment in tempdb getting full.
Do u have log segment on  a seperate device for tempd? In that case
the log will be full... Give more devices to the logsegment in
tempdb.

Murtaza
0
Murtaza_Ali
10/29/2002 8:16:08 AM
Murtaza,

I am using ASE in a development environment (on a laptop) so all of the
dbs are on C:.  Do you suggest I just add another device to the
logsegment on tempdb?

Thanks
Joe

Murtaza_Ali wrote:

> Hi Joe...
> This problem is related to the logsegment in tempdb getting full.
> Do u have log segment on  a seperate device for tempd? In that case
> the log will be full... Give more devices to the logsegment in
> tempdb.
>
> Murtaza

0
Joe
10/29/2002 12:57:49 PM
Joe,
Yeah.. try it out!!
Murtaza

>Murtaza,

>I am using ASE in a development environment (on a laptop) so all of the
>dbs are on C:.  Do you suggest I just add another device to the
>logsegment on tempdb?

>Thanks
>Joe
0
Murtaza_Ali
10/29/2002 1:55:12 PM
It is not the LOGsegment that's full, but the SYSTEM segment.

the message is clear on that.
1) the default tempdb size is too small (3MB)
2) Increase it by using alter database tempdb on xxx = 20
with xxx is e.g. a newly created device

Ton

0
TonF

Out of space on Tempdb
My tempdb is getting out space... my device has 1565.0 MB of space , for data and log. I don't want to expand more this database. what i need to do on a threshold to avoid my database stops on a production's enviroment? is possible to write on server's log the process that is exploding the space? is possible to kill this process to avoid my server stops? thanks L�o > My tempdb is getting out space... > > is possible to write on server's log the process that is > exploding the space? Yes. Simple example: create procedure sp_th...

ASE to ASE

ASE and ASE

TempDB space
Hello Can anyone tell me whether I should have 'trunc. log at checkpoint' enabled for the tempdb database? I have a 500MB tempdb database even though sp_spaceused reports 2226KB Reserved. This is only about 2.1MB Am I correct in thinking that the rest gets used up then freed when Users execute thier queries. I wondered whether it was actually using the 500MB TIA Jason Hi Jason It actually doesn't matter whether "trunc log on checkpoint" is enabled for tempdb or not - ASE ignores the setting and ALWAYS does trunc log. As for the reserved space...

ASA To ASE - VS

tempdb to file space
We built our servers with tempdb expanded on to raw partitions is there any way to move it to file space without rebuilding the complete server.. Thanks. >>>>> "Allen" == Allen Cornell <agcornell@email.msn.com> writes: Allen> We built our servers with tempdb expanded on to raw partitions Allen> is there any way to move it to file space without rebuilding the Allen> complete server.. Thanks. This is definitely possible. Take a dump of master, just in case things go badly wrong! There are a couple of things that you could do...

How to calculate tempdb space
Does anyone have a calculation to return the % used of tempdb where tempdb is made up of combined data & log Thanks Andy select 'DB Size in KB'=sum(size) * (@@pagesize/1024), 'Free Space in KB' = sum( curunreservedpgs( db_id('tempdb'), lstart, unreservedpgs ) ) * (@@pagesize/1024) from master..sysusages where dbid=db_id('tempdb') "Andy S" <post@forum.please> wrote in message news:g9k3#IiwCHA.285@forums.sybase.com... > Does anyone have a calculation to return the % used of tempdb where tempdb > is made up of ...

Courses for ASE administrator
Have previously been using ASA but now have started to use ASE. Was trying to find a comprehensive course for ASE Administration and Replication but can't afford the Sybase run courses and feel they are not suitable due to duration. Was looking for something from beginners to advanced in the US or ASIA. Basically I am a one man company that outsources 70% of development and provides services/development to small businesses in Japan. I need to know enough to act as a DBA when offshore admin/Maintanence is not possible. Would consider any geographic location except India. Would like...

Line spacing, word spacing, char spacing
I already found out line , word and char spacing are not foreseen in GDI+.According to some websites, the MeasureString method does not work the way it should. (which I could use to manually change the X/Y positions etc.)Does anyone know of a component that will do the trick?And preferrably not one that will cost me hundreds of euros :)All I want to do is put some text on an image ...The only problem being is that line, word and char spacing are strict requirement.Seems easy, but I'm quite desperate so thank you for your early reply....

Adding ASE to existing ASE-to-ASE Installation
I am using all ASE's in my SQLRemote setup. My current installation consists of a Consolidated ASE & 2 Remote ASE's. My attempt to add another Remote ASE to the existing installation consists of these steps: - Install the sqlremote system objects in the new Remote - Install the stable queues in the new Remote - Manually extract a bcp file of the shared table from the Cons server - Configure the Cons server for another subscriber - Configure the new Remote's shared table, publications, & subscriptions. - Manually b...

tempdb log space full
hi recently we receive this message in ase log 18:53:00.03 server Space available in the log segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'. All future modifications to this database will be aborted until the log is successfully dumped and space becomes available. 18:53:02.62 server Error: 4205, Severity: 16, State: 1 18:53:02.63 server Syslogs does not exist in its own segment in database 'tempdb' with segmap '7' with logical start page number of '0'. You cannot use DUMP TRANSACTION in this case, use DUMP DATAB ASE instead. 18:53...

tempdb log running out of space
ASE 11.9.2 (upgrading soon, I hope) 100 databases -- 50MB to 1.5GB in size. Several apps running at same time inserting, updating data in only three databases at the time. System completely froze and had to restart services. Could someone give some reasons why the tempdb log could fill up. It is set to truncate on checkpoint and is 1GB in size with usage "data and log". Thanks, Bill error log: server Space available in the log segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'. All future modifications to this database will be s...

ASE Administrator
I have been working as ASE 12.5 application dba for the last 5 years. My project was completed last month. I am interested in upgrading my skills to system dba. I badly need some guidelines in having the necessary software at home and some study materials. Any help in this would be highly appreciated. Regards, Ramesh Ramesh I would say to use Sybase Manuals and Technical documents from Sybase Site . Thanks Akesh "Ramesh" <rameshsrao@indiatimes.com> wrote in message news:40159095@forums-1-dub... > I have been working as ASE 12.5 application dba for the...

How can I do when tempdb is full of space?
Hi, Is there no way except shutdown with nowait when tempdb is full? tempdb is full of space when some users often send a wrong query to server by mistake. Whenever tempdb is full, I have to shutdown the server with nowait. and after shutdown the server, the value of identity column is always jump up when new row is inserted. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks. Have you tried the "abort tran on log full" database option on tempdb? Also ASE 12.5.0.1 has a feature under the Resource Governor to limit the amount of tempdb space a user may use, it sounds like it w...

Web resources about - tempdb space out - sybase.ase.administration

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft . As a database, it is a software product whose primary ...

SQL中的图树层次结构_开发/数据库_IT专家网 开发/数据库
数据库子站,提供数据库管理软件优质技术信息的领先在线资源,是数据库管理员、开发人员和负责决策制定的 IT 经理人至关重要的社区。我们提供具有特色的、全面的内容,包括专家答疑、讨论论坛、白皮书、原创的行业新闻、评论分析以及技术技巧等。还有众多国内外数据库专家定期为我们的网友在线答疑,让我们的沟通学习更为方便。 ...

An Interview With Ken Henderson About The Forthcoming Book SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting ...
I am a big fan of Ken Henderson’s books, I believe that every SQL Server developer should have a copy of his books. When I noticed on Amazon.com ...

Frequently Asked Questions About TempDB
The questions came fast and furious in one of my recent TempDB webcasts, so here’s the ones I wasn’t able to answer during the live session: ...

Controlling Transactions and Locks Part 4 : SQL 2005 Snapshot
The first three installments of this series applied to both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. Part 4 introduces Snapshots, new in MSSQL 2005.

How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server
Describes how to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server. Provides step-by-step information about the method.

In-memory OLTP Engine (Hekaton) in SQL Server 2014 CTP2
Today I am going to discuss the new SQL Server 2014 feature In-memory OLTP a.k.a. Hekaton a Greek word which means hundred or hundredfold. In-memory ...

Texas Memory Systems: Applications
SQL Server Databases Accelerate your transaction logs, temporary database (tempdb), indexes, and frequently accessed tables with a RamSan SSD ...

Email to Author
Please use this form to email the author of this article.