Shutting down the database server changes database file access permission......

We are using ASA 7.0.2 network server. We have noticed that the server
changes database file (and the log file) access permission
to read-only when we shut down the server and changes to read/write when we
restart it.
Is there anyway to change this behaviour and keep the database file
permissions the same? Because our application has to override the database
with a fresh prepopulated schema when the application is (re)launched. Since
the database server makes the files read-only, override fails.
And it is not easy to change file permissions from java, programmatically.

Thanks,

0
Onural

Please post ASA questions to the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general newsgroup.
Sybase.public.ase.administration is for discussion of ASE, not ASA.

-bret

"Onural, Gul [SKY:1V70:EXCH]" wrote:

> We are using ASA 7.0.2 network server. We have noticed that the server
> changes database file (and the log file) access permission
> to read-only when we shut down the server and changes to read/write when we
> restart it.
> Is there anyway to change this behaviour and keep the database file
> permissions the same? Because our application has to override the database
> with a fresh prepopulated schema when the application is (re)launched. Since
> the database server makes the files read-only, override fails.
> And it is not easy to change file permissions from java, programmatically.
>
> Thanks,

0
Bret
9/5/2001 2:52:18 PM
onural@americasm01.nt.com wrote...
> We are using ASA 7.0.2 network server. We have noticed that the server
> changes database file (and the log file) access permission
> to read-only when we shut down the server and changes to read/write when we
> restart it.
> Is there anyway to change this behaviour and keep the database file
> permissions the same? Because our application has to override the database
> with a fresh prepopulated schema when the application is (re)launched. Since
> the database server makes the files read-only, override fails.
> And it is not easy to change file permissions from java, programmatically.

You may have an anti-virus program thinking that the database file or log file is infected
and it has changed it to read-only.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant

Are you saying that the database server doesn't change the file permission,
but anti-virus program?
We thought it was kind of "safety feature" of the database server.

Gul

"Jim Egan" <dontspam.dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> onural@americasm01.nt.com wrote...
> > We are using ASA 7.0.2 network server. We have noticed that the server
> > changes database file (and the log file) access permission
> > to read-only when we shut down the server and changes to read/write when
we
> > restart it.
> > Is there anyway to change this behaviour and keep the database file
> > permissions the same? Because our application has to override the
database
> > with a fresh prepopulated schema when the application is (re)launched.
Since
> > the database server makes the files read-only, override fails.
> > And it is not easy to change file permissions from java,
programmatically.

> You may have an anti-virus program thinking that the database file or log
file is infected
> and it has changed it to read-only.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Senior Consultant
> Sybase Professional Services

0
Onural
9/6/2001 4:57:27 PM
onural@americasm01.nt.com wrote...
> Jim,
>
> Are you saying that the database server doesn't change the file permission,
> but anti-virus program?
> We thought it was kind of "safety feature" of the database server.

Well, you're right.  The database engine does indeed set the database and log files to read
only.  I had forgotten about that.  If you're removing the database and log file then you
might want to consider executing a command like this:

STOP DATABASE <databasename>

DROP DATABASE <databasename>

CALL XP_CMDSHELL "copydb.BAT"  /* To copy a template database.  May not require a batch
file */

START DATABASE "database file & path name" AS <databasename> AUTOSTOP OFF
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Senior Consultant
Sybase Professional Services
0
Jim

Access Database and SQL Server database
Hi, I have an access database server and a sql server DB. The  Structure of both DB is same . The data is updated or inserted in access DB. I want to update SQL Server DB on a any event say button click. All updated data or new data in access DB should be reflected on SQL Server DB . Can anyone guide on the approach to be attempted. Thanks   Mark this as an answer if you find my it helpful.Thanks,Anubhuti ONe approach would be to use the System.Data.OleDb library and store connection strings for each database in your web.config file.  Each time you need ...

SQL Server Database File vs SQL Server Database -VWD Express
VWD Express 2008, SQL Server Express 2005. I have been using SQL Server Express with ASP and VB for some years - I just create a DB in Management Studio Express, have SQL Server set to 'SQL Server and Windows authentication', and use a connection string with 'sa' and a password (I never have managed to get it working with 'integrated security', but that is probably irrelevant to this post). So I have a list of DB's attached to SQL Server that I can see, attach, detach etc in MSE. I am getting started with .NET. Working through a VWD Express book tutori...

Converting Access database to the Sql Server database
how can I convert or transfer my Access database to SQl Server database ? Thanks in advance.HighOnCodingWanna get high! Try "the Upsizing wizard". Look in Access help...

Database Error ; Database Server Keeps Shutting Down
I am receiving the following error in my error log. My database then shuts down. What could be causing this error? Checkpoint log: write to D:\Sys_Editor\Sys_Editor.db failed with status 1453: filesystem may be full or file size has exceeded system limits What is the Operating System? What is the version of SQL Anywhere? Have you confirmed that the filesystem is not full? Herman Strdivant wrote: > I am receiving the following error in my error log. My > database then shuts down. What could be causing this error? > > Checkpoint log: write to D:\Sys_Editor\Sys_Edit...

repair access database with system database file
I'm using ADMSAccessService but have not found a way to inform the file system database (sysdb) to access the database microsoft access and repair it. Please help me. ...

how to access other database in this database ?

Access Database File Permissions
Hi, I am having problems posting information to an access database using ASP.NET. The database works fine on my local server (I am using Dreamweaver, IIS, XP Professional, localhost server) and I can readily access information from it using queries via ASP.NET web controls. However I cannot add information to the database using the SQL INSERT statement. When I attempt to do so the following error shows: Operation must use an updateable query. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more info...

COnverting SQL SERVER 2000 Database into Access database
Hi, How can I import SQL Database 2000 into Access database. I have created a SQl script file of my database. thanks, bye,HighOnCodingWanna get high! the SQL Script isn't that much use in this case - use DTS to export the DB from SQL to AccessRTFM - straight talk for web developers. Unmoderated, uncensored, occasionally unreadableJason Brown - MVP, IIS whats the DTS can u explain me please ??HighOnCodingWanna get high! Data Transformation Services - the primary way of miporting and exporting data to and from SQL Server - I assume you've installed the SQL Server Client...

How to upgrade database changes in remote databases and consolidated databases
Hi, I am Working in a project which uses Sybase Mobilink server as the replication system. Now I have been given a requirement to automate the upgrade databases chages in remote databases and consolidated database. I heard the about "Passthrough" but I don't know how to use it. I saw below topic in our forum PASSTHROUGH Question. How do I replicate DML ... 1.- Created a Version_Tracking Table (contains columns Unique_Record_ID, DB_Remote_ID, DB_Version, DB_Update_Time_Stamp and DB_Error_Code). 2.- The new Version_Tracking table is part of a publication that...

An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share.
Greetings, I have just arrived back into the country (NZ) and back into ASP.NET.  I am having trouble with the following:An attempt to attach an auto-named database for file (file location).../Database.mdf failed. A database with the same name exists, or specified file cannot be opened, or it is located on UNC share. It has only begun since i decided i wanted to use IIS, I realise VWD comes with its own localhost, but since it is only temporary, i wanted a permanent shortcut on my desktop to link to my intranet page.  Anyone have any ideas why i am getting the above error? have...

Database utility to convert XML file to SQL Server database
I have written a small utility to automate database builds by executing command nodes contained in an XML file.  Sample xml file:<Commands>      <Message Text="Clearing database entries"/>      <ClearDb/>      <Message Text="Database cleared"/>      <Message Text="Running SQL Command1"/>      <RunScript File="Scripts\CreateTest.sql"/>      <Message Text="...

Is there a way to downsize a SQL Server database to an Access Jet database?
I won't bore you with the reasons why at this stage, but I have a need to downsize a SQL Server database to a Microsoft Access Jet database for use as a back end to an existing Access 2003 application. Is there any way to do this?  My SQL Server database sits on a webserver - a shared SQL Server 2005 facility provided by my Windows hosting ISP. I only have SQL Server Express and SQL Server Management Studio Express on my own PC (plus Visual Web Developer 2008 Express). David Hi David, As far as I know, there is no such tool to migrate from SQL Server to Access.I think we c...

Error 7405 accessing SQL Server database by database link
I'm persistently getting the above error when executing a stored procedure that uses a dabase link to another SQL Server database. I can run the procedure in MS SQL Server management studio fine. I'm setting ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS ON before creating the procedure. Procedure code: SET ANSI_NULLS ON SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON GO SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON GO ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[SSP_WAR_RPT_MANUAL_RECLAIM] @adt_sbi_from datetime, @adt_sbi_to datetime, @as_vendor varchar(15) output, @as_campaigns Char(1) AS BEGIN SET ANSI_NULLS O...

Web resources about - Shutting down the database server changes database file access permission...... - sybase.ase.administration

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Fixing Vulnerability That Would Prohibit Users From Revoking App Permissions
Facebook is working to remedy a vulnerability discovered by application security provider MyPermissions , which blocks users of the social network ...

Dwight Murphy - Ok, I now have permission to share the... - Facebook
Ok, I now have permission to share the news about Bowe Bergdahl..This in 2 emails... Here it is in Bob Bergdahls words to me! (1) You guys rock! ...

How-To: Handle Revoked Auth Permissions
This how-to document will help developers check a user's permissions and prompt that user for any missing permissions.

Facebook gives users more options for login, app permissions
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s new mantra of “Move fast with stable infra,” might not be as sexy as “ Move fast and break things ,” but it reflects ...

Davies McDonalds Happy Meal Project- all photos ©Sally Davies- use with permission only - an album on ...
View the album on Flickr. Flickr logo. If you click it, you'll go home Sign Up Explore Recent Photos The Commons 20under20 Galleries World Map ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

Michael Daniel Henderson who killed three teenagers in a smash denied permission to appeal
A driver who killed three teenagers in a hit-and-run smash in southeast Queensland has been refused permission to appeal his 10-year sentence. ...

CSIRO moves toward industrial action: seeks Fair Work permission for protected action ballot
CSIRO's new chief executive Larry Marshall could soon be faced with disruptive staff.