ODBC error connecting to ASE 15

Hi,

I am trying to figure out why a user is getting ODBC
connection errors from WinXP->ASE15 when my client config
doesn't even have an ODBC connection to ASE15 (and works
just fine)? Am I missing something? If I don't need ODBC to
connect, why would other users?

thx,
rick_806
0
rick_806

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out why a user is getting ODBC
> connection errors from client WinXP->ASE15 when my client
config
> doesn't even have an ODBC connection to ASE15 (and works
> just fine)? Am I missing something? If I don't need ODBC
> to connect, why would other users?

  Client is using Access, not ISQL

> thx,
> rick_806
0
rick_806
10/17/2008 4:08:21 PM
Hi Rick,

I have never seen Microsoft Access using anything but ODBC to connect to ASE.

If you run "%SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe", do you not have a datasource
configured for your ASE?  If not what is your copy of Microsoft Access using
to connect to ASE?

What error is your client getting?

Regards,
   Neal
0
Neal
10/17/2008 8:37:49 PM
Neal,

Just to let you know.
It has been a few years since i've done this, but I could use a MS-udl file
to build a MS-access to ASE which used OLE-db for the connection layer.

--
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
"Neal Stack [Sybase]" <nstack@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi Rick,
>
> I have never seen Microsoft Access using anything but ODBC to connect to
> ASE.
>
> If you run "%SystemRoot%\system32\odbcad32.exe", do you not have a
> datasource
> configured for your ASE?  If not what is your copy of Microsoft Access
> using
> to connect to ASE?
>
> What error is your client getting?
>
> Regards,
>   Neal

0
Cory

ODBC error: external error, while testing an ODBC connection to an ASE server
"The connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration data." Does this have to do with the configuration of OCS-12_0 or the ocscfg.exe? Running ocscfg.exe, I've set the "SYBASE:" directory to "C:\sybase" but it doesn't seem to like it when I set the "Sybase_OCS:" to "C:\sybase\OCS-12_0". I don't know if this is related. Another idea - on the install I chose "No" to updating the msvcrt.dll (the MS C Runtime) because I've seen that hose a system before. Is this file safe to overwrite and ca...

PB : Connection error #4002 with VB6, Crystal Report 11 and ASE 15 (ODBC)
Hi, I have an error #4002 when I want to view a report in Visual Basic 6 with the ActiveX Chrystal Report Viewer. The reports works in Crystal Report but the conexion fails with VB6. I think it could be an authentification error but I don't know how to manage identification from VB. The problem appears when I use the Crystal Wizard to create a form automatically AND when I create objects directly in code : Dim app As CRAXDRT.Application Dim oReport1 As CRAXDRT.Report Dim oRptRouter As CrystalActiveXReportViewerLib11.ReportSourceRouter Dim viewReport As CrystalActiveXR...

HELP: Microsoft Query "General odbc error" connecting to ASE 15.0.3
Greetings, I'm trying to connect MSQRY32 - 12.0.6532 SP2 MSO to ASE15.0.3ESD#1 (8K pages) using ODBC on XP SP3, using ASE 15.00.00.325 2008/08/14 ODBC driver The System ODBC connection was created with defaults. Checking ASE, I can see successful login connection select @@pagesize sp_odbc_server_info select db_name() sp_odbc_tables The I get an error on MSQRY32 - "General odbc error" Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in Advance. Alberto > Greetings, > > I'm trying to connect > MSQRY32 - 12.0.6532 SP2 MSO to > A...

ASE 15 connection error
I'm using PB 10.5 with ASE15 (PBSYC105.DLL), OPEN client ASE15, direct connect, NO ODBC, no OLEDB, only dll pbsyc105.dll. If my application stand-by (example: reduced as icon), after 2 or 3 minutes if I close the window, or retrive data or other database operations, appears an error "Select Error: ct_cmd_alloc(): user api layer: external error: The connection has been marked dead." Why ? Same others application on PB9 with ASE 12 works fine. Will I, perhaps, configure some timeout on ASE15 ? Thanks. ...

ASE and ASE

ASE to ASE

ASE ODBC Driver 15.x backward compatible with ASE 12.5.x
Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is backward compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored procedures in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type users to work. -- Thank You Scott Kellish --- Quote of the Minute --- Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it. _________________________________________ Scott Kellish, Owner SoftSystem Solutions, LLC. 18 Ridge Road...

Having issues loading a dump from ASE 15 beta2 into ASE 15. Beta license expired so installed new copy of ASE 15 and the dumps from beta2 do not load. Have tried doing remote load into ASE 15 using beta2 backup server. Issues here because dumps done with level 4 compression: 1> load database dbadmin from "compress::4::/usr/sybase/dump/IT_TEST.dbadmin_onite_0.dat" at IT_BETA_back 2> go Backup Server: 5.21.2.1: Remote DUMP/LOAD is not allowed when interfacing to a stripe for device 'compress::4::/usr/sybase/dump/IT_TEST.dbadmin_onite_0.dat'. .... 30 10:5...

When using MS-ADO to connect to ASE using ASE OLEDB/ODBC driver the record count is -1
Hi VB 6 application connecting to ASE 12.5 (NT) using OLEDB/ODBC drivers. Gets a problem. He retrieve rows from the database - WORKS Fine!!! But as soon as he wants to see how many rows was returned the recordcount returns -1. He gets this problem connecting using ODBC and OLEDB. He gets the recordcount from the recordset object's recordcount property. This is what I found on the MSDN online manuals: RecordCount Property - ADO Indicates the current number of records in a Recordset object. Applies To Recordset Remarks Use the RecordCount property to find out how many r...

ASA To ASE - VS

Internal Error when connecting to ASE 15.5 with "Encrypt Password" on
Just installed Sybase ASE 15.5 demo on Windows with all defaults. Then connection via ODBC fails if the "Encrypt Password" is on. Is that expected? Hi, There is a bug logged with Sybase on similar issue. Could you post the exact ASE version and ASE ODBC Driver version? This is currently being looked at and we are awaiting the results, such as how to resolve this issue. Thank you, -Paul <Martin Rakhmanov> wrote in message news:4be1a1e1.39cd.1681692777@sybase.com... > Just installed Sybase ASE 15.5 demo on Windows with all > defaults. > Then...

Can't connect to ASE 15.0 because of Open Client errors
I am trying to connect to an ASE 15.0 server from my Windows Vista x64 machine and not succeeding. It seems every method I try fails (except JDBC which is working) with errors relating to Open Client. When I try to connect using DSEDIT it comes up with an "Unable to determine Net-Library error" even though the server is up and I have defined all the necessary environment variables. When I try to connect through PowerBuilder 10.5 I get "Error loading client library DLLs". What could be wrong? Is it that Open Client doesn't work on 64-bit systems? -- And...

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common errors / issues). I noticed that some have run into errors after the upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s). So this sparked a few questions... 1) Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors and issues than ...

Web resources about - ODBC error connecting to ASE 15 - sybase.ase.administration

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...