Number of connections (spid numbers)

Since upgrading from 11.9.2 to 12.5.1, I have noticed a
significant increase in the spid number assigned to
connections. Actually, it broke an application that captures
@@spid to a 3-char field. I usually have no more than
between 300 and 400 concurrent connections with anywhere
from 30 - 50 new connections each hour (per sysmon). The
spid numbers are now reaching over the 1000 mark. Has
anything changed in how spid numbers are assigned? I assumed
that a spid number is assigned either by one thats been
previously assigned and available or the next highest number
sequentially. If I check sysprocesses, I might see a
connection started at 7:07 with spid #23 and see one at 7:08
with spid number over 1000. Any ideas??
0
Ken
10/13/2004 6:28:30 PM
sybase.ase.administration 7058 articles. 2 followers. Follow

2 Replies
741 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 37

There has been a change; spids used to be assigned
on a "lowest free spid number" basis, they are now assigned
on a "least recently used basis" - i.e. they will increase
sequentially until all have been used, then whichever spid
was first released will be used next, which may result
in a random-appearing assignment.

Cheers,
-bret


Ken, Dulin wrote:
> 
> Since upgrading from 11.9.2 to 12.5.1, I have noticed a
> significant increase in the spid number assigned to
> connections. Actually, it broke an application that captures
> @@spid to a 3-char field. I usually have no more than
> between 300 and 400 concurrent connections with anywhere
> from 30 - 50 new connections each hour (per sysmon). The
> spid numbers are now reaching over the 1000 mark. Has
> anything changed in how spid numbers are assigned? I assumed
> that a spid number is assigned either by one thats been
> previously assigned and available or the next highest number
> sequentially. If I check sysprocesses, I might see a
> connection started at 7:07 with spid #23 and see one at 7:08
> with spid number over 1000. Any ideas??
0
Bret
10/14/2004 4:40:10 AM
OK, makes sense. How do we know what the max spid number
would be. My "user connections" is set to 1024 but my max
spid (at this moment) is 1129. I assume that user
connections refers to concurrent users so what is the max?


> There has been a change; spids used to be assigned
> on a "lowest free spid number" basis, they are now
> assigned on a "least recently used basis" - i.e. they will
> increase sequentially until all have been used, then
> whichever spid was first released will be used next, which
> may result in a random-appearing assignment.
>
> Cheers,
> -bret
>
>
> Ken, Dulin wrote:
> >
> > Since upgrading from 11.9.2 to 12.5.1, I have noticed a
> > significant increase in the spid number assigned to
> > connections. Actually, it broke an application that
> > captures @@spid to a 3-char field. I usually have no
> > more than between 300 and 400 concurrent connections
> > with anywhere from 30 - 50 new connections each hour
> > (per sysmon). The spid numbers are now reaching over the
> > 1000 mark. Has anything changed in how spid numbers are
> > assigned? I assumed that a spid number is assigned
> > either by one thats been previously assigned and
> > available or the next highest number sequentially. If I
> > check sysprocesses, I might see a connection started at
> > 7:07 with spid #23 and see one at 7:08 with spid number
> over 1000. Any ideas??
0
Ken
10/14/2004 1:12:23 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

problem with number/number=number ?
hi i need for below 1/36 = 0,0277777777777778 but result should be 1 3/36 should be 1 35/36 should be 1..... (between 1 and 36)/36 should be 1 36/36  and 37/36 and 45/36 and 71/36 should be 2  (between 72 and 37)/36 should be 2  (between 107 and 73)/36 should be 3  and go on how can i do it ? ThanksMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) Hi, I think that (int)(n / 36) + 1 will do the trick  hi it work true without below  result 1 for 1/36 and 4 /36 and 35 /36 .. it is true.. but result 2 for 36/36 . res...

When is a number not a number?
I've got some server script that determines the "SELECTED" entry in a SELECT control. (The code below is a snippet.) If no information is returned then I want the number defaulted a hard-coded value, otherwise, I want number that matches the returned value selected. The defaulted, hard-coded value works but the comparison (i == val) doesn't work if a a value was returned in the information. I've verified that it is indeed a number within the range I want. Why would this comparison fail like this? TIA Alan Rosine <snip> if (docInfo.advPayMonths =...

Number of User, Number of Connections
Hi, Does open client provide a mechanism to write an application that will alow me to monitor the number of users and connections to a database? Regards, San > Does open client provide a mechanism to write an application that will alow > me to monitor the number of users and connections to a database? I do not think Open Client has a way to do it, but I think the easiest is to select the info from master.dbo.sysprocesses Stephan On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:18:03 -0400, Stephan Marais <smarais@mindspring.com> wrote: You could write an openclient application tha...

number connection with huge number user !
I use sqlhelper to get data from database.my table has 10000 records.I know that there are approximates 3000 users access my web application and load 10000 records about  5 minutes.I use method ExecuteDataSet to get DataSet from server.I feel that there are many connection hit database (connection pooling is about 90) , web application is quite slowly.Are there other solutions to get better ?Thank you very much.   How about caching the result from the database the first time?When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a rep...

How to connect to ASE where the Number of users connections reached max.
Is there any way the 'sa' can connect to the ASE when the server reached user connections limit. Let us say if have the number of user connections = 100, Can we set the server to accept only 99 and leave one connection for sa. Any ideas ? Thanks RK <mc> wrote in message news:90CF65CADCBB10550052A3D485256D25.00521D4B85256D25@webforums... > > Is there any way the 'sa' can connect to the ASE when the server reached > > user connections limit. Let us say if have the number of user > connections = > > 100, Can we set the server to a...

Number of connections connected
hi, all I can limit the user connections to my sybase. But how can I know how many connections currently connected to my sybase ? Regards, Keene Hui Kenneth Hui wrote: > I can limit the user connections to my sybase. Do you mean on a per user basis? If so, no. > But how can I know how many connections currently connected > to my sybase ? 'sp_who' or 'select * from sysprocesses' will show the current connections. -am � 2001 ...

Default number of user connections to ASE
Hi I have a 30 user licence of my ASE 11.5 I would like to know the number of user connections that are taken up by default by the server. And how many user connections do I need to account for , before deciding upon the number of actual client connections (say, from a PB application) Thanx Anil Output of select @@version is : Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5/P/Nt/OS 4.00/1/fbu Anil wrote: > > Hi > > I have a 30 user licence of my ASE 11.5 > I would like to know the number of user connections that are taken up by > default by the server. And how many...

Very large (>4000) number of connections to ASE
Hi, I work at an internet company where we currently use some home-grown middleware to connect the perl/apache CGI scripts to our ASE 11.9.2 (soon to be 12.0) servers. The front ends run on FreeBSD, and the Sybase server is on a Sun 4500. We want to do away with our ad-hoc middleware, mostly for maintenance reasons. We have calculated that if each httpd process had a persistent connection to Sybase we'd need ~4000 connections, with a further problem being that the httpd processes are relatively short lived (~200 hitsbefore being killed) because they tend to grow too large other...

Number of connections
Hi. If I need to connect up to 2000 users to Sybase server which platform is recomended? Does NT can support this amount ? Best Regards. Yossi. Yes. ASE 11.5.1 and above on NT supports over 2000 connections. Whether the performance is acceptable, you will have to decide. AnaMaria Stirbet Sybase TS asakimrd wrote: > Hi. > > If I need to connect up to 2000 users to Sybase server which platform is > recomended? > > Does NT can support this amount ? > > Best Regards. > Yossi. Hi. Thanks for the replay. We are currently workin...

number of connections
Hi ! Just a question ... is there a way to limit an user with connections?, I mean, for example, I've an user named APLIC1, but I would like only this user log in no more than 5 connections. Can I do that? Thanks a lot in advance Francisco ...

Check for number of Numbers in a string
Hi all, Need some help here. I know in C++ and Java, I can check for the number of Numbers in sa string. One example is "RN12" will have 2 numbers while "RN1234" will have 4. How do I do it in VB.net? Thanks for all the help!SGDOTNET.ORG I know there has to be a better way but couldn't you just write an for next statement to analyze the string? Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic.Information For i = 0 to myString.Length() Step 1 If IsNumeric(Mid(myString,1,1)) Then '//Do something really neat End If Next You may have to tweak that ...

Re-number week numbers?
Is it possible to have week numbers off-set i.e.. for educational use week 1 is beginning of September ....... ...

Random number excluding a number.
i have been playing around with random numbers and to get a random number between say 1 and 100 i use a code like this : System.Random RandNum2 = new System.Random(); int MyRandomNumber2 = RandNum2.Next(1, 100); but if i want to get a number between 1 and 100 excluding the number 50. is this possible? thanks Si  Kind of a funny concept for random, but you could put the calls to random in a loop and exit when the result is not 50. blink18jew:i have been playing around with random numbers and to get a random number between say 1 and 100 i use a code like this : ...

Replace number with Number+R
Using vb.net 2005 I want to do the following: I have a formula, ex, something like 1 + 2 + ((3 + 4 + 5)/4) and I want to replace each number with number+R ex: 1R + 2R +....   and so on. whats a good code snippet to do this?  I am thinking some regexp will do the trick. think i just got it: someString = System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace(someString , "\d+", "$&R")...

Web resources about - Number of connections (spid numbers) - sybase.ase.administration

Connection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the ...

iMedia Connection: Interactive Marketing News, Features, Podcasts and Video - iMediaConnection.com
If you send more email, you might make more money. Then again, you might destroy your reputation and revenue stream. Here's how to know what ...

HTTP persistent connection - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... tacked on to an existing protocol. If the browser supports keep-alive, it adds an additional header to the request: Following this, the connection ...

MOTHER’S DAY: Facebook Examines Connections Between Moms, Kids
With Mother’s Day on the calendar this coming Sunday, Facebook examined the relationships between mothers and their children on the social network, ...

The Direct Connection
... And the people reading my words respond back to me with words of their own. The technology that allows this is powerful but this direct connection ...

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Man wanted in connection to Waco biker shooting arrested in Louisiana
A man wanted in the deadly shootout involving rival motorcycle gangs earlier this year in Texas was arrested in northwest Louisiana on Wednesday, ...

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...

Resources last updated: 12/5/2015 6:35:55 PM