How can I prevent tempdb from being completely filled up and hanging the server (ASE 12.5)?

Server:      Sybase 12.5.0.2

Problem:  tempdb fills up and hangs server, only resolution is to shutdown
the server & restart.

Cause:     Occassionally a user driven process may create a huge query
(several GB) to be copied
                  into tempdb.

I have no control over the design of the users processes, nor am I able to
prevent the troublesome ones from being run, however I would like to kill
off any process seen to be dragging the server towards this situation.

What's the best way to do this ? segments & thresholds ?

How would you recommend handling this type of problem ? also how would you
recommend I identify the troublesome processes...

Has anyone implemented such a solution ?

Am I overlooking a more obvious simpler way to address this type of problem
?

All suggestions welcome !

Steve

0
svaardt

How about setting 'abort tran on log full' for the tempdb.
This probably will affect some innocent user(s) as well, but
you will not need to recycle the server.

> Server:      Sybase 12.5.0.2
>
> Problem:  tempdb fills up and hangs server, only
> resolution is to shutdown the server & restart.
>
> Cause:     Occassionally a user driven process may create
> a huge query (several GB) to be copied
>                   into tempdb.
>
> I have no control over the design of the users processes,
> nor am I able to prevent the troublesome ones from being
> run, however I would like to kill off any process seen to
> be dragging the server towards this situation.
>
> What's the best way to do this ? segments & thresholds ?
>
> How would you recommend handling this type of problem ?
> also how would you recommend I identify the troublesome
> processes...
>
> Has anyone implemented such a solution ?
>
> Am I overlooking a more obvious simpler way to address
> this type of problem ?
>

> All suggestions welcome !
>

> Steve

0
wkraatz
11/6/2003 2:23:37 PM
I don't think abort on log full will help U much in the
tempdb problem.
couple of time it happend to me after that I wrote a small
utility which check the space in tempdb evey 30 min and it
page me if free space goes down to 10 %.

HTH

Sanjeev

> Server:      Sybase 12.5.0.2
>
> Problem:  tempdb fills up and hangs server, only
> resolution is to shutdown the server & restart.
>
> Cause:     Occassionally a user driven process may create
> a huge query (several GB) to be copied
>                   into tempdb.
>
> I have no control over the design of the users processes,
> nor am I able to prevent the troublesome ones from being
> run, however I would like to kill off any process seen to
> be dragging the server towards this situation.
>
> What's the best way to do this ? segments & thresholds ?
>
> How would you recommend handling this type of problem ?
> also how would you recommend I identify the troublesome
> processes...
>
> Has anyone implemented such a solution ?
>
> Am I overlooking a more obvious simpler way to address
> this type of problem ?
>

> All suggestions welcome !
>

> Steve

0
sanjeev
11/7/2003 12:41:20 AM
"svaardt" <svaardt@h0tmail. com> wrote in message
> Server:      Sybase 12.5.0.2
>
> Problem:  tempdb fills up and hangs server, only resolution is to
shutdown
> the server & restart.
>
> Cause:     Occassionally a user driven process may create a huge
query
> (several GB) to be copied
>                   into tempdb.
>
> I have no control over the design of the users processes, nor am I
able to
> prevent the troublesome ones from being run, however I would like to
kill
> off any process seen to be dragging the server towards this
situation.

> What's the best way to do this ? segments & thresholds ?
>
> How would you recommend handling this type of problem ? also how
would you
> recommend I identify the troublesome processes...
>
> Has anyone implemented such a solution ?
>
> Am I overlooking a more obvious simpler way to address this type of
problem
> ?

Use 'tempdb_space' resource limits -- this stops logins from
allocating more than X number of pages in tempdb.
Read up on sp_add_resource_limit for details on setting resource
limits.

HTH,

Rob
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 12.5

Author of "Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE" and
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
Online orders accepted at http://www.sypron.nl/shop

mailto:rob@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY
http://www.sypron.nl
Sypron B.V., P.O.Box 10695, 2501HR Den Haag, The Netherlands

Rob
11/7/2003 9:19:25 AM
Upgrade to either 12.5.0.3 or 12.5.1 and make user of multiple tempdbs.
  You could assign the sa user to it's own tempdb.  That way, if the
users' tempdb were to become full, the sa login would still be able to
run the necessary queries and stored procedures to kill the offending
process - without needing to shutdown/restart.

svaardt wrote:
> Server:      Sybase 12.5.0.2
>
> Problem:  tempdb fills up and hangs server, only resolution is to shutdown
> the server & restart.
>
> Cause:     Occassionally a user driven process may create a huge query
> (several GB) to be copied
>                   into tempdb.
>
> I have no control over the design of the users processes, nor am I able to
> prevent the troublesome ones from being run, however I would like to kill
> off any process seen to be dragging the server towards this situation.
>
> What's the best way to do this ? segments & thresholds ?
>
> How would you recommend handling this type of problem ? also how would you
> recommend I identify the troublesome processes...
>
> Has anyone implemented such a solution ?
>
> Am I overlooking a more obvious simpler way to address this type of problem
> ?
>

> All suggestions welcome !
>

> Steve

0
Larry
11/7/2003 10:10:46 PM
The replies I've received for this question have been great - many thanks.

In summary,

* If I want to stick with 12.5.0.2 then I can make use of
"sp_add_resource_limits ":

eg. with a 2GB tempdb, I can restrict myprog to using only 1GB with:
sp_add_resource_limit null,"myprog","at all times",tempdb_space,500000,2,4

I found this link useful:

http://www.petersap.nl/AvantGo/V12501/p103049.html

The sybase online manuals make a small reference here:
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1250e/sag/@Generic__BookTextView/25436;pt=25375

* If I want to upgrade to 12.5.0.3 or 12.5.1 then I can setup a tempdb
specifically for the "sa" user.

(sadly I do not have access to neither a 12.5.0.3 nor 12.5.1 server at the
moment, so can't provide an example of how this can be done).

Steve
"Rob Verschoor" <rob@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY> wrote in
message news:3fab639d@forums-1-dub...
> "svaardt" <svaardt@h0tmail. com> wrote in message
> > Server:      Sybase 12.5.0.2
> >
> > Problem:  tempdb fills up and hangs server, only resolution is to
> shutdown
> > the server & restart.
> >
> > Cause:     Occassionally a user driven process may create a huge
> query
> > (several GB) to be copied
> >                   into tempdb.
> >
> > I have no control over the design of the users processes, nor am I
> able to
> > prevent the troublesome ones from being run, however I would like to
> kill
> > off any process seen to be dragging the server towards this
> situation.
> >
> > What's the best way to do this ? segments & thresholds ?
> >
> > How would you recommend handling this type of problem ? also how
> would you
> > recommend I identify the troublesome processes...
> >
> > Has anyone implemented such a solution ?
> >
> > Am I overlooking a more obvious simpler way to address this type of
> problem
> > ?
> >

> Use 'tempdb_space' resource limits -- this stops logins from
> allocating more than X number of pages in tempdb.
> Read up on sp_add_resource_limit for details on setting resource
> limits.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob
> Rob Verschoor
>
> Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
> and Replication Server 12.5
>
> Author of "Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE" and
> "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
> Online orders accepted at http://www.sypron.nl/shop
>
> mailto:rob@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY
> http://www.sypron.nl
> Sypron B.V., P.O.Box 10695, 2501HR Den Haag, The Netherlands

svaardt

Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4 or ASE 12.5.3 for Linux?
Hi, all : I want to get the ASE12.5.4(DE) for Linux; but In the sybase.com,just have ASE 15.0.3 for download. Now, Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4(DE or XE) for Linux? Thank you! ----------------- Best Regards! On May 22, 6:10 pm, "Killwind" <killwin...@sina.com> wrote: > Hi, all : > I want to get the ASE12.5.4(DE) for Linux; > but In the sybase.com,just have ASE 15.0.3 for download. > Now, Where can I get the ASE 12.5.4(DE or XE) for Linux? Go to www.sybase.com -- in the upper-right-hand corner is a "Search" box. Search for...

ASE 11.5 on same server as ASE 12.5?
Anyone have 11.5 running on same server as 12.5 on NT? Would not be concerned to do this in Solaris as I am on an NT 4.0 Box sp6. Any known gotchas or issues? Going to take toni's advise in earlier posting on doing the 11.5 install as a seperate user on the server already running 12.5 just fine. Hope this wilkl take care of env vars??? We have one app that the company who developed it will no longer support us on newer versions of Sybase as a result this one crucial app must stay up and running on 11.5 while we allow the rest of our company to progress forward to 12.5 an...

ASE 12.0.0.6 to ASE 12.5 and Rep Server 12.1
We are planning the upgrade of our ASE 12.0.0.6 64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5 64bit on AIX 4.3.3. We are also using Rep Server 12.1 with these two servers. My question is do I need to upgrade Rep Server as well, or will 12.1 Rep Server Work with ASE 12.5. Also, we will be upgrading AIX to 5.1 as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Troy It will work, however you wont be able to use any of the 12.5 new datatypes, and the rep_agents will spit out annoying error/warning messages everytime they are restarted. Our production system has been running that way for about ye...

Can I use ASE 12.5.2 64-bit license on an ASE 12.5.2 32-bit install
I want to install sybase ASE 12.5.2 on my machine (2GB of memory) but my license certificate has a 64 bit license only. Can I use the 64-bit license on my 32 bit ASE 12.5.2 installation? thanks Gemma No you cannot > I want to install sybase ASE 12.5.2 on my machine (2GB of > memory) but my license certificate has a 64 bit license > only. > > Can I use the 64-bit license on my 32 bit ASE 12.5.2 > installation? > > thanks > Gemma ...

Does the secondary truncation point in the Adaptive Server need to be dsiable when upgrading ASE 12.5.03 to ASE 12.5.3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5C408.CA053AD0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does the secondary truncation point in the Adaptive Server need to be = disabled when upgrading ASE 12.5.03 to ASE 12.5.3? Thanks ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C5C408.CA053AD0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <...

Does the secondary truncation point in the Adaptive Server need to be disabled when upgrading ASE 12.5.03 to ASE 12.5.3
Does the secondary truncation point in the Adaptive Server need to be disabled when upgrading ASE 12.5.03 to ASE 12.5.3? Thanks Hi, No. just stop replication before the upgrade and restart it after the upgrade. Nothing special :) Jason L. Froebe Team Sybase http://jfroebe.livejournal.com liy wrote: > Does the secondary truncation point in the Adaptive Server need to be > disabled when upgrading ASE 12.5.03 to ASE 12.5.3? > > Thanks > > > ...

ASE 12.5 to ASE 12.5.3
One of our client is having 3 no license for ASE 12.5 on Win2K (running 3 production servers) and not in the support/AMC with Sybase.. is client eligible to use ASE 12.5.3 ? Thanks KRV ...

ASE Workplace 12.5 vs ASE Enterprise 12.5
Can anyone tell me what are the differences in the 2 packaging of ASE? TIA Himadri Hi Himadri, The main and I guess the only difference is price which is for WP ~= 4 times less. Category depends from machine level, for example for Sun the upper bound for WP is Sun E450 + 3 new XXXR. Go to http://eshop.sybase.com where you can see prices and in the help the up-to-date list of machines with category HTH, Eugene Himadri Laifangbam wrote: > Can anyone tell me what are the differences in the 2 packaging of ASE? > > TIA > Himadri For NT any machines up t...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

Can ASE 12.5 run concurrently on a server with MS SQL Server?
I am trying to find out if ASE 12.5 can run concurrently on the same server with MS SQLServer 2005. I have tried installing ASE on a server with SQL Server already installed and while the installation completes without any errors the ASE services will not start, and I get errors about missing environment variables when I try to run any of the management applications. I have been told by one of the IT folks that the two cannot coexist on the same server but I would like a second opinion just to be sure. Thanks, Marvin Marvin; Yes, I have a few machines now running b...

ASE 12.5.2 or ASE 12.5.3 on Solaris 10
Hi there! Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE on Solaris 10? I have tried to search around on sybase.com, but without any luck. I'm particulary looking into zones/containers with ASE and if there is any issues regarding this. Any help is much appreciated. ..prn Hi, As for as i known there aren't whitepapers or docu. I have a couple of boxes with ASE in a zone. So if you have questions mail me. Sjaak Preben Olsen wrote: > Hi there! > > Have anyone found whitepapers or documentation regarding ASE > on Solaris 10? I h...

ASE 12.5 Small Business vs. ASE 12.5 Enterprise
Hi, Does anyone know the Technical offering different between these 2 products. Looking for docs on limitations of this ASE Small Business edition. Is it available on all platforms ? I have worked with the ASE Eneterprise editions but may have a new project that won't require the full blown Enterprise edition. thanks "Robert Furlong" <rfurlong@fame.com> wrote in message news:3E305851.80AA820@fame.com... > Hi, > > Does anyone know the Technical offering different between these 2 > products. > Looking for docs on limitations of this ASE Sm...

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Web resources about - How can I prevent tempdb from being completely filled up and hanging the server (ASE 12.5)? - sybase.ase.administration

How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... about the topic. If notability cannot be established, the article is likely to be merged , redirected , or deleted . How to Disappear Completely ...

My view on this company has completely... - lululemon athletica - Facebook
My view on this company has completely changed. I used to want to shop in your store and was excited to buy my first pair of lululemon leggings. ...

New Facebook Ads Manager reports completely change the way ad campaigns are run
Yesterday, Facebook announced changes to its Ads Manager reports , citing a desire to simplify its advertising products. Whilst at first glance ...

Here's Why Airbnb and Uber Should Completely Ignore Government Regulations
... call what Airbnb and Uber do), fights over government regulation of these companies and the people who Here's Why Airbnb and Uber Should Completely ...

Relax Completely on the App Store on iTunes
Get Relax Completely on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

completely unoriginal. - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Im not feeling very creative. but Im always feeling nerdy. (I was going to carve the apple logo, but no one at this get-together would have ...

Monty Python - "And Now For Something Completely Different" - YouTube
John Cleese's famous line from opening sketch of the Monty Python film, "And Now For Something Completely Different" I don't claim ownership ...

Rheumatoid arthritis: ‘It can be extremely destructive. If left untreated people can be completely disabled’ ...
Early treatment of the condition is crucial as if left undiagnosed, rheumatoid arthritis can lead to disability and deformity, doctors say.

Freakout of the Day: Woman in Line at Ferry Terminal Completely Loses It
Wait for it… The uploader of this video could sense this woman’s rage as she dealt with the person at a ferry’s ticket counter, so he started ...

The trials of Andre Davis: how DNA stopped an innocent life being completely stolen
The trials of Andre Davis: how DNA stopped an innocent life being completely stolen