full tempdb

Does anybody know how to log in to ASE if temdb is full
I heard there is a undocummented dataserver command who
attaches to the shared memory and so you can log in.
Many thanks for any help
kai
0
Kai

On 9 Oct 2003 05:33:03 -0700,
 in sybase.public.ase.administration
 <Kai> wrote:
>Does anybody know how to log in to ASE if temdb is full
>I heard there is a undocummented dataserver command who
>attaches to the shared memory and so you can log in.
>Many thanks for any help
>kai

Hi Kai,

the undocumented tool (SybMon) won't allow you to log into the server.  If
tempdb is so full that you can't log in, you can attempt to get all your users
to log off or perform a kill -15 <dataserver pids> at the unix command prompt if
all else fails.

This problem can be gotten around in ASE 12.5.0.3 and higher using the multiple
tempdb feature.  Basically you create a tempdb solely for use by sa - that way
sa will be able to log in and kill the process that is eating up the main
tempdb.

Of course, you would want to find out what application / query is causing the
problem - this is where the MDA tables come into play very nicely (also in
12.5.0.3 and above).  Just set ASE to capture the sql text.  You will be able to
query the MDA tables for the actual query.

Hope this helps

Jason L. Froebe
TeamSybase (http://www.teamsybase.com)
ISUG member (http://www.isug.com)
Chicago Sybase Tools User Group (http://www.cpbug.com)
HealthyPals (http://www.healthypals.com)
0
Jason

Replication ASA-ASE stops because ASE is full
I have a replication between a consolidated DB on ASE and 4 remote DB on ASA. During a replication, ssremote was unable to apply messages from the remotes because the segments of the consolidated DB where full. The message of ssremote was : E. 03/31 06:00:06. bourget: Error 1105: Can't allocate space for object 'depot' in database 'stp_qual' because 'default' segment is full/has no free extents. If you ran out of space in syslogs, dump the transaction log. Otherwise, use ALTER DATABASE or sp_extendsegment to increase size of the segment. I have increas...

tempdb full
Last week, for one of our production servers stopped responding. On logging in , found that tempdb is full and we were forced to shutdown the server. The error log read as follows: " 02:00000:00259:2001/03/16 14:10:24.63 server Space available in the log segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'. All future modifications to this database will be suspended until the log is successfully dumped and space becomes available. " We have a threshold in place, that threshold procedure will call another store procedure that will email and page us when ...

ASE and ASE

tempdb is full
Hi, I need to know how to capture the query that full up the tempdb database when is at 80%. Thanks Willy Hi, There are a few alternatives oyu can use for that purpose: 1-) add a threhold (calculate how many pages remains when the segment in tempdb is 80% per. full) for the segment you are interested in and insert data related to spid filling up the tempdb into a table located in a user database you got. 2-)(from master..syslogshold where dbid=2) when you find out the spid of the process filling up tempdb, use the following commands to retrieve sql text: dbcc traceon(3604) ...

tempdb full
Last week, for one of our production servers stopped responding. On logging in , found that tempdb is full and we were forced to shutdown the server. The error log read as follows: " 02:00000:00259:2001/03/16 14:10:24.63 server Space available in the log segment has fallen critically low in database 'tempdb'. All future modifications to this database will be suspended until the log is successfully dumped and space becomes available. " We have a threshold in place, that threshold procedure will call another store procedure that will email and page us when ...

ASE to ASE

tempdb full
Hi Some query fills my tempdb (system segment), probably a huge 'order by' clause. I'm using 12.0 , so I can't use the 'resource governor' available in 12.5. This blocks my whole ASE !!! I can't even do sp_who How can I find out WHO is filling tempdb and subsequently killing the offending process? I'm thinking of a threshold procedure on the system segment of tempdb, unlike the logsegment, there's no system table to query from for the 'system segment'. (for the log-segment, there's the syslogshold table) Is there any way ...

ASA To ASE - VS

Tempdb Full #5
Could anyone tell about the procedure , if the tempdb get full in production system? ( Apart from bouncing the server ) Bal, Kumar wrote: > Could anyone tell about the procedure , if the tempdb get > full in production system? ( Apart from bouncing the server > ) You can use ALTER DATABASE to increase the size of tempdb. Long term, if it is getting full because of regular objects getting created and then abandoned by code, you will need to figure out what code is creating those objects and whap the developers on the head, make them use #temp tables. What ...

tempdb full #3
I received this entry in the log: There is no space available in SYSLOGS to log a record for which space has been reserved. This process will retry at intervals of one minute. tempdb is full. So I did: dump tran tempdb with no_log go the execution of this command took a lot of time. So i interrupted it and did a restart. Is there a more efficient command to free the tempdb?? How to see which user/database filled up the tempdb?? thanks, > There is no space available in SYSLOGS to log a record for which space > has been reserved. This process will retry at inte...

tempdb log full.
Our system is ASE 11.5.1 and SWR8155 and it is running on HP-UX 11. When the logsegment of the tempdb is full, I cannot kill the process which fills the log. And I have to shutdown the SQL server with nowait option. Does anybody help me about why I cannot kill the process which fills up the tempdb log? And is there a way clearing the tempdb logs without shutting down the server (And also dump tran with nolog does not work in this situation) Thanks for your help, Deniz Ata wrote: > > Our system is ASE 11.5.1 and SWR8155 and it is running on HP-UX 11. > When the lo...

tempdb runs full
Does anybody know how i can avoid that tempdb runs full during several heavy SQL statements? I guess i have to increase the size of it, but i'm not sure how i do that the right way. Any suggestions? ASE: 11.0.3 OS: Linux Redhat 6.1 -- Regards Oystein Selbekk any questions: 1. What is the size of your tempdb. 2. What is the size of the tables and result sets of your SQL-statements? If you use 'order by - having' or 'sort by', than the result is buffered in the tempdb Torsten Zielinski "�ystein Selbekk" <oystein@reiselivdata.st.no&...

Tempdb Full #2
The tempdb on my server is fuill ? What are the options which I have now ? Whether I should just reboot the server ? Whether I can somehow create space in tempdb even if it is full now Thanks Amit You'll have to reboot! Try turning on "abort transaction on full log" on the tempdb database - this will at least allow your server to continue running You can alter tempdb, making it larger, even if it is currently full - you can do that with any database except master. -bret Amit wrote: > The tempdb on my server is fuill ? What are the options which I ha...

tempdb full #4
How to know what spid was responsible of filling the tempdb?? the error logs show nothing relevant about that and when tempdb is full, sybase hangs when I run all kinds of stored procedures. thx below information might help you tempdb - server-wide temporary database ASE 12.5.0.1 1. Is a temporary database and rebuilt from model template 2. By default tempdb resides on master device, extend on separate device 3. Heavy contention in tempdb due to server-wide temporary objects 4. Bind tempdb to named cache in case of heavy usage/contention 5. When tempdb is full and no spa...

Web resources about - full tempdb - sybase.ase.administration

Microsoft SQL Server - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft . As a database, it is a software product whose primary ...

SQL中的图树层次结构_开发/数据库_IT专家网 开发/数据库
数据库子站,提供数据库管理软件优质技术信息的领先在线资源,是数据库管理员、开发人员和负责决策制定的 IT 经理人至关重要的社区。我们提供具有特色的、全面的内容,包括专家答疑、讨论论坛、白皮书、原创的行业新闻、评论分析以及技术技巧等。还有众多国内外数据库专家定期为我们的网友在线答疑,让我们的沟通学习更为方便。 ...

An Interview With Ken Henderson About The Forthcoming Book SQL Server 2005 Practical Troubleshooting ...
I am a big fan of Ken Henderson’s books, I believe that every SQL Server developer should have a copy of his books. When I noticed on Amazon.com ...

Frequently Asked Questions About TempDB
The questions came fast and furious in one of my recent TempDB webcasts, so here’s the ones I wasn’t able to answer during the live session: ...

Controlling Transactions and Locks Part 4 : SQL 2005 Snapshot
The first three installments of this series applied to both SQL 2000 and SQL 2005. Part 4 introduces Snapshots, new in MSSQL 2005.

How to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server
Describes how to move databases between computers that are running SQL Server. Provides step-by-step information about the method.

Microsoft Press
MICROSOFT PRESS publishes on Microsoft tools & technologies, plus programming best practices. Our blog offers book info, links to ebooks, & other ...

In-memory OLTP Engine (Hekaton) in SQL Server 2014 CTP2
Today I am going to discuss the new SQL Server 2014 feature In-memory OLTP a.k.a. Hekaton a Greek word which means hundred or hundredfold. In-memory ...

Texas Memory Systems: Applications
SQL Server Databases Accelerate your transaction logs, temporary database (tempdb), indexes, and frequently accessed tables with a RamSan SSD ...