did i lose the data...

What happens in this scenerio:
1) Begin Tran
2) Update table ABC
3) Commit Tran
4) dump tran db1 with truncate_only
5) server crash

If all these activities happen between two checkpoints, and
the server crash right after step 4) is the update still
refected in the table?

For commit to succeed, the changes from ULC will be flused
to the syslogs and written to syslogs. The actual data pages
could still be in data cache and not written to the disk.
recovery might not find anything as dump tran with
truncate_only was run, Would there be a chance to lose the
data in any such scenerio even though commit was successful?
0
stupidone

On 08-Dec-2010 20:44, stupidone wrote:
> What happens in this scenerio:
> 1) Begin Tran
> 2) Update table ABC
> 3) Commit Tran
> 4) dump tran db1 with truncate_only
> 5) server crash
>
> If all these activities happen between two checkpoints, and
> the server crash right after step 4) is the update still
> refected in the table?
>
> For commit to succeed, the changes from ULC will be flused
> to the syslogs and written to syslogs. The actual data pages
> could still be in data cache and not written to the disk.
> recovery might not find anything as dump tran with
> truncate_only was run, Would there be a chance to lose the
> data in any such scenerio even though commit was successful?

The update should still be in the table since the transactionw as
committed. The dump tran performs a checkpoint itself.

HTH,

Rob V.
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks&  Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl  | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
Sypron B.V., The Netherlands  |  Chamber of Commerce 27138666

Rob
12/8/2010 9:42:52 PM
dump tran does a checkpoint.  All committed transactions are guaranteed to
be there after database recovers during restart.

<stupidone> wrote in message news:4cffe003.6681.1681692777@sybase.com...
> What happens in this scenerio:
> 1) Begin Tran
> 2) Update table ABC
> 3) Commit Tran
> 4) dump tran db1 with truncate_only
> 5) server crash
>
> If all these activities happen between two checkpoints, and
> the server crash right after step 4) is the update still
> refected in the table?
>
> For commit to succeed, the changes from ULC will be flused
> to the syslogs and written to syslogs. The actual data pages
> could still be in data cache and not written to the disk.
> recovery might not find anything as dump tran with
> truncate_only was run, Would there be a chance to lose the
> data in any such scenerio even though commit was successful?

0
Sherlock
12/8/2010 10:16:39 PM
oops.  I didn't see Rob's response before I sent mine.  I repeated what Rob
already said.
Sorry -

"Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY> wrote in
message news:4cfffbdc$1@forums-1-dub...
> On 08-Dec-2010 20:44, stupidone wrote:
>> What happens in this scenerio:
>> 1) Begin Tran
>> 2) Update table ABC
>> 3) Commit Tran
>> 4) dump tran db1 with truncate_only
>> 5) server crash
>>
>> If all these activities happen between two checkpoints, and
>> the server crash right after step 4) is the update still
>> refected in the table?
>>
>> For commit to succeed, the changes from ULC will be flused
>> to the syslogs and written to syslogs. The actual data pages
>> could still be in data cache and not written to the disk.
>> recovery might not find anything as dump tran with
>> truncate_only was run, Would there be a chance to lose the
>> data in any such scenerio even though commit was successful?
>
> The update should still be in the table since the transactionw as
> committed. The dump tran performs a checkpoint itself.
>
> HTH,
>
> Rob V.
> Rob Verschoor
>
> Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
> and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase
>
> Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
> "Tips, Tricks&  Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
> "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
> "The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"
>
> rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl  | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
> Sypron B.V., The Netherlands  |  Chamber of Commerce 27138666

Sherlock
12/8/2010 10:18:19 PM
On 08-Dec-2010 23:18, Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] wrote:
> oops.  I didn't see Rob's response before I sent mine.  I repeated what Rob
> already said.
> Sorry -

I'm just glad we agree ;-)

Rob V.

0
Rob
12/8/2010 11:20:49 PM
Thanks both of you.
So the dump tran will first do a checkpoint and then
truncate the log only if checkpoint is successful;

This probably will explain , at times why dump tran with
truncate_only takes very long on tempdb when its filled up;

> On 08-Dec-2010 23:18, Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] wrote:
> > oops.  I didn't see Rob's response before I sent mine.
> > I repeated what Rob already said.
> > Sorry -
> >

> I'm just glad we agree ;-)
>
> Rob V.

0
stupidone

data, data, data
Hello, I need some advice on the best method to keep a database updated in this scenario. I have a local Solomon SQL Server where we keep our inventory. I want to build an application that will be hosted at a remote hosting location which provides a SQL database. I want to build the application to allow clients to access the inventory items and make requests based on the remote SQL data. The order will be sent to our fulfillment department via email; they will fiill the request and ship.  I'm not sure the method to do this while keeping the data current on the remote and the l...

How to convert varchar data type into datetime data type without data lose
Hi all, i have stored date as varchar(30) data type and Date format is dd/MM/yyyy now i have to convert it into datatime data type can u help me in query ?  i have 330 records and each recod contain the Date in format of dd/MM/YYYY but due to varchar data type i can not perform calculation on Date so i have to convert into datetime without data lose. please help me in this regard. Best RegardsRameezWaheed  life is name of learning!Mark as an answer if it helps You can check these posts http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2039108&SiteID=17   ...

Data Table losing data during submit command
I am populating a Data Table from a string and have a column that the user can enter a qty to receive then click the submit button.  It appears that when the page is posted back to the server, the data table is cleared before the sub routine has a chance to read the data.The code is posted below: POTable is an asp table that is added to the aspx web form.________________________ Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load   'Put user code to initialize the page here   If Not (Page.IsPostBack) Then&n...

Losing data
I've asked a similar question to the following in relation to another problem, but I must now ask again, as this time the problem is elsewhere. I would like to apologise in advance for the length of this message, I appreciate that you are all busy people. We have a LONG process (it currently runs for around 27 hours - Must sort out the design) in power builder on a SQLA5.5.04 served database. The code does not contain a COMMIT untill the very end of the process. During this process a *lot* of data flies back and forth between the client and the server. The problem is this: ...

Losing data
I am using the Datawindow DTC for data entry on a page. When I type something into a field (and don't tab off), then I ALT-TAB to another application, and then ALT-TAB back, the data in the field is wiped out. Why does this happen? Is there some way I can resolve this? I have tried this with another design tool and this does not happen. Jerry This has been reported as CR 208772. This only happens in IE and not Netscape. Regards, Dan van Leeuwen On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 13:29:46 GMT, jpayne@tca-techsys.com (Jerry P) wrote: >I am using the Datawindow DTC fo...

Data or Data
I pronounce it "data". HTH I pronounce it dAta and data. Depends upon my mood and the context it's in. Like I preserve dAta, but i lose data. :P Matthew wrote: > I pronounce it dAta and data. Depends upon my mood and the context it's > in. Like I preserve dAta, but i lose data. :P Lt Commander D "ay" ta. Nuff said. In fact he corrected Dr Pulaski when she called him D "ah" ta. D ay ta, d ah ta, what's the difference? One is my name... the other is not. :) <-geek > > Lt Commander D "ay&quo...

data lose
Hi all.... i use this method to get my user id, and this user id will be pass around in whatever page which need it....the property function is as below.... Public Shared Property ID() As String GetReturn _ID End GetSet(ByVal value As String) _ID = value End Set End Property  but there is a problem which might cause error....sometime it return me null value....and sometime it return me correct value... may i know how this will happen......cos this happen quite frequent in my system... or maybe someone can provide some better solution in this case... thanks If i have under...

ASE and ASE

Data Data :|
Ok, i have a very simple access database called score with just one table called high. This is just going to be used to keep the current score of a higher scorer and there name However, when the page loads i want the user to see this current high score and the persons name, but just one record i only ever want this to hold one record aswell..When the user finish’s the game there score is currently presented to them, when this happens i would like to connect to the database and check weather there score is higher than the current score (may have changed since they loaded page...

Losing data
I recently went in thru Infomaker and added 3 columns at the end of an existing table. Now when I perform jdbc updates thru jConnect using a prepared statement in Java, the data in the 2 columns preceding the new columns I added is lost (set to nulls). The table ddl is shown below (the "outcome" fields are the new ones. The ENROLLMENTBHCOMPLETED and CLOSUREBHCOMPLETED values are getting clobbered each time. Any ideas anyone? CREATE TABLE AHAS.dbo.PROGRAMENROLLMENTDATA ( CLIENTIDNUMBER int not null , ADMITDATE ...

Problem to synchronize data with text data type between ASE and ASA
I have provided the table definition and ML log with v+ option as follows. Thanks for your great help! Table Definition: create table TBLNAME ( col1 char(3) not null , col2 varchar(138) not null, col3 text null, last_modified_dttm datetime DEFAULT getdate () not null ) Below is the ML log with V+ option I. 2010-05-06 10:23:40. SQL Anywhere MobiLink Server Version 11.0.1.2376 I. 2010-05-06 10:23:40. I. 2010-05-06 10:23:40. Copyright � 2001-2009, iAnywhere Solutions, Inc. I. 2010-05-06 10:23:40. Portions copyright � 1988-2009, Sybase, Inc. All rights reserve...

ASE to ASE

utf-8 data problem with Sql Web Data Administrator
hi, I have a database with ntext and nvarchar column. When I try to export and import data with Sql Web Data Administrator it loose it utf-8 encoding. I try to include requestEncoding=utf-8, responseEncoding=utf-8, fileEncoding=utf-8 into the web.config of Web Data Administrator but it is no use. Can anyone show me how to do it correctly? Thank you....

How to flush ASE defualt data cache without restart ASE server?
I want to test the io of some sql. Thanks every one! Try running the following for each table you wish to 'flush' from cache: ====================== use <dbname> go -- for each table in question: sp_unbindcache <dbname>,<table_name> go ====================== See the reference manual for more details regarding the sp_unbindcache stored proc. binlib wrote: > I want to test the io of some sql. > > Thanks every one! Thank you Mark! > Try running the following for each table you wish to > 'flush' from cache: > ...

Web resources about - did i lose the data... - sybase.ase.administration

Chicago Cop Pleads Not Guilty: Jason Van Dyke Maintains Innocence In Laquan McDonald Shooting
Chicago cop Jason Van Dyke pleaded not guilty in the police shooting death of Laquan McDonald. The white police officer was charged with murder ...

Watch Star Wars Legs sets destroyed at 3,000 fps
What do you do when you've got a few Star Wars Lego sets, some explosives and a high-speed camera? Well, I'm sure there are plenty of creative ...

Country Singer Craig Strickland Reported Missing, Friend Found Dead After Hunting in Storm
Country singer Craig Strickland has been reported missing. The disappearance comes just days after a his friend Chase Morland sent a haunting, ...

Ethan Couch Nabbed In Mexico With His Mom — Duo Hosted Going Away Party Before Flight
Ethan Couch is no longer on the lam. The rich Texas teen who killed four people during a drunk driving accident and got away with only 10 years ...

Amazon's holiday hits included instant film and turntables
You'd think that an internet retail behemoth like Amazon would primarily sell a lot of cutting-edge tech during the holidays, but nope that wasn't ...

The most expensive rental in San Francisco costs $30,000 per month and sits on the 40th floor of The ...
It's no secret that San Francisco real estate is expensive. In the latest example of the market-gone-crazy, the most expensive listing on the ...

Now that Google Glass is enterprise-only, it is more appealing than ever
The first generation of Google Glass spectacularly failed to get off the ground despite a long beta period. The second generation is on the cards, ...

You'll soon be able to shop online using Samsung Pay
Samsung Pay , Samsung's mobile payment service, is going to become a lot more useful to U.S users in the new year. A report from Reuters says ...

Bengals' overtime loss in Denver complicates playoff quest
CINCINNATI (AP) — The Bengals' quest to end their long streak of playoff futility has gotten a lot tougher.