ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.

We are experiencing intermittent, unexplained errors with the following
text:
"ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the
server has timed out."

There are absolutely no errors in the error log when these errors occur.
Our server is accessible immediately before and after, but the various
components cannot connect when these split-second errors occur.

Here is our current version info:
Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.1/P/SWR 9264 ESD 3/Sun_svr4/OS
5.6/1629/32bit0

Fingers are pointing at me and the database ("Hey, I can't connect to the
database.  What did you do?").  I'm of course trying to point fingers at the
network guys ("It must be some blip in the network").  But, obviously, the
true need is to find out why this is happening... and then apply whatever
fix is necessary.

Please shed any insight as to what's happening and how to fix it!

Thank you,
L Broman

-1

If you have set "retry count" and "retry delay" parameters in your
$SYBASE/intefaces files, try removing
it. It worked in my case.

"L Broman" <lisa@etrieve.com> wrote in message
> We are experiencing intermittent, unexplained errors with the following
> text:
> "ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from
the
> server has timed out."
>
> There are absolutely no errors in the error log when these errors occur.
> Our server is accessible immediately before and after, but the various
> components cannot connect when these split-second errors occur.
>
> Here is our current version info:
> Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.1/P/SWR 9264 ESD 3/Sun_svr4/OS
> 5.6/1629/32bit0
>
> Fingers are pointing at me and the database ("Hey, I can't connect to the
> database.  What did you do?").  I'm of course trying to point fingers at
the
> network guys ("It must be some blip in the network").  But, obviously, the
> true need is to find out why this is happening... and then apply whatever
> fix is necessary.
>
> Please shed any insight as to what's happening and how to fix it!
>
> Thank you,
> L Broman

0
tcgs
8/2/2001 1:21:13 PM
No, we do not have these properties set in our interfaces files.

-Lisa
"tcgs" <tcgs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have set "retry count" and "retry delay" parameters in your
> $SYBASE/intefaces files, try removing
> it. It worked in my case.
>

> "L Broman" <lisa@etrieve.com> wrote in message
> > We are experiencing intermittent, unexplained errors with the following
> > text:
> > "ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from
> the
> > server has timed out."
> >
> > There are absolutely no errors in the error log when these errors occur.
> > Our server is accessible immediately before and after, but the various
> > components cannot connect when these split-second errors occur.
> >
> > Here is our current version info:
> > Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.1/P/SWR 9264 ESD 3/Sun_svr4/OS
> > 5.6/1629/32bit0
> >
> > Fingers are pointing at me and the database ("Hey, I can't connect to
the
> > database.  What did you do?").  I'm of course trying to point fingers at
> the
> > network guys ("It must be some blip in the network").  But, obviously,
the
> > true need is to find out why this is happening... and then apply
whatever
> > fix is necessary.
> >
> > Please shed any insight as to what's happening and how to fix it!
> >
> > Thank you,
> > L Broman

If this is error is coming from a client application besides "isql", then it
would be worthwhile to check the client code to see if the connection timeout
has been lowered to some small interval. dbsettime() in C and perl do this
change for example.
Apart from this, also check if the CS_TIMEOUT is defined in the ocs.cfg file if
it exists in $SYBASE/config.
Lastly, you need to put a good sniffer, and trace the TDS packets at around the
timeout time.
We use I-watch which can pinpoint the response time, reaction time, round trip
etc.. for all sybase traffic, and we can catch anomalies in one glance.

L Broman wrote:

> No, we do not have these properties set in our interfaces files.
>
> -Lisa
> "tcgs" <tcgs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > If you have set "retry count" and "retry delay" parameters in your
> > $SYBASE/intefaces files, try removing
> > it. It worked in my case.
> >

> > "L Broman" <lisa@etrieve.com> wrote in message
> > > We are experiencing intermittent, unexplained errors with the following
> > > text:
> > > "ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from
> > the
> > > server has timed out."
> > >
> > > There are absolutely no errors in the error log when these errors occur.
> > > Our server is accessible immediately before and after, but the various
> > > components cannot connect when these split-second errors occur.
> > >
> > > Here is our current version info:
> > > Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.0.0.1/P/SWR 9264 ESD 3/Sun_svr4/OS
> > > 5.6/1629/32bit0
> > >
> > > Fingers are pointing at me and the database ("Hey, I can't connect to
> the
> > > database.  What did you do?").  I'm of course trying to point fingers at
> > the
> > > network guys ("It must be some blip in the network").  But, obviously,
> the
> > > true need is to find out why this is happening... and then apply
> whatever
> > > fix is necessary.
> > >
> > > Please shed any insight as to what's happening and how to fix it!
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > > L Broman

0
Ivan
8/3/2001 5:24:42 AM
Thank you, Ivan, for the possible reasons for why this error is occurring.

I have another question for you.  When you DO find an anomaly, what are some
of the causes and solutions.  Let's assume that a client application has a
time out setting of 2 minutes.  We could get those time outs to cease by
taking away that restriction... but at the same time, there's no reason why
it should take 2 minutes to connect to the database.  I need to find out if
it is the network, the server, or the database that is causing this delay in
connectivity.

Do you have any suggestions?
-L Broman

"Ivan Santhumayor" <isanth@optonline.net> wrote in message
> If this is error is coming from a client application besides "isql", then
it
> would be worthwhile to check the client code to see if the connection
timeout
> has been lowered to some small interval. dbsettime() in C and perl do this
> change for example.
> Apart from this, also check if the CS_TIMEOUT is defined in the ocs.cfg
file if
> it exists in $SYBASE/config.
> Lastly, you need to put a good sniffer, and trace the TDS packets at
around the
> timeout time.
> We use I-watch which can pinpoint the response time, reaction time, round
trip
> etc.. for all sybase traffic, and we can catch anomalies in one glance.
>

> L Broman wrote:
>
> > No, we do not have these properties set in our interfaces files.
> >
> > -Lisa
> > "tcgs" <tcgs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > If you have set "retry count" and "retry delay" parameters in your
> > > $SYBASE/intefaces files, try removing
> > > it. It worked in my case.
> > >

> > > "L Broman" <lisa@etrieve.com> wrote in message
> > > the

> > the
> > > the
> > the
> > whatever

There can be many reasons.

1. The spid being blocked for a long time.
2. A outdated open client or odbc bug, whereby exlusive intent locks remain
since the thread gives up control on the spid ( I have seen this with odbc 3.0
drivers against 11.9.2).

The list can go on and on, and hence a good DBA can resolve these issues in the
shortest time.

L Broman wrote:

> Thank you, Ivan, for the possible reasons for why this error is occurring.
>
> I have another question for you.  When you DO find an anomaly, what are some
> of the causes and solutions.  Let's assume that a client application has a
> time out setting of 2 minutes.  We could get those time outs to cease by
> taking away that restriction... but at the same time, there's no reason why
> it should take 2 minutes to connect to the database.  I need to find out if
> it is the network, the server, or the database that is causing this delay in
> connectivity.
>
> Do you have any suggestions?
> -L Broman
>
> "Ivan Santhumayor" <isanth@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > If this is error is coming from a client application besides "isql", then
> it
> > would be worthwhile to check the client code to see if the connection
> timeout
> > has been lowered to some small interval. dbsettime() in C and perl do this
> > change for example.
> > Apart from this, also check if the CS_TIMEOUT is defined in the ocs.cfg
> file if
> > it exists in $SYBASE/config.
> > Lastly, you need to put a good sniffer, and trace the TDS packets at
> around the
> > timeout time.
> > We use I-watch which can pinpoint the response time, reaction time, round
> trip
> > etc.. for all sybase traffic, and we can catch anomalies in one glance.
> >

> > L Broman wrote:
> >
> > > No, we do not have these properties set in our interfaces files.
> > >
> > > -Lisa
> > > "tcgs" <tcgs@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> following
> from

> occur.
> various

> > > the
> fingers at
> obviously,
> > > the
> > > whatever

0
Ivan

CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.
Hi everyone I'm using ASE 11.5.1, and I often getting the following message on the client log file "CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out." According to client developer, above problem is caused by network problem. However I don't think that. I tried to fix this problem as much as I can, but still occured. Anyone helps would be grateful. Thanks. DHL ...

CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.
Hi all, I'm using ASE 11.9.2, and I often getting this timeout message(CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out.) when I try to log on using isql or sybase central. We are testing with a lot of users and connect to a lot of remote databases using CIS. I can't even log on to shutdown the server. When I issue an netstat -a | grep port number that sybase listening, I get a report like this. datanet1.10032 datanet1.47437 32768 0 32768 0 CLOSE_WAIT datanet1.10032 datanet1.47...

Why does a simple select query in MS Access return the error: [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has timed
I have applied the information contained in support document 10447954. That did not resolve the problem. I am running a simple query with one criteria and one table Thanks. Hi Bill, The doc refers to a different ODBC driver (for DirectConnect product) so you might have a completely different problem. The message implies you are using ODBC 12.0 (Client Library based) or prior since the message indicates CtLib info. You might want to post more details involved with getting to this error. You also might want to post exact versions of ASE and ODBC driver, including Open ...

Why does a simple select query in Microsoft Access return the error [Intersolv][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]ct_results(): user api layer: internal client library error: Read from the server has
I have applied the information from support document 10447954 but that does not solve the problem. I am running a simple select query with one criteria from one table. Thanks. ...

CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library
Hi everyone I'm using ASE 11.5.1 on DG/UX, and I often getting the following message on the client log file "CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out." According to client developer, above problem is caused by network problem. However I don't think that. I tried to fix this problem as much as I can, but still occured. Anyone helps would be grateful. Thanks. DHL ...

CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library
Hi everyone I'm using ASE 11.5.1, and I often getting the following message on the client log file "CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out." According to client developer, above problem is caused by network problem. However I don't think that. I tried to fix this problem as much as I can, but still occured. Anyone helps would be grateful. Thanks. DHL Try increasing the retry_attempts and delay_interval parameters in the interfaces file. Make sure the IP address or hos...

Why?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0020_01C57265.CDDC7E10 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable When I execute the UPDATE command appears the following error ct_fetch(): user api layer: internal common library error: The bind of result set item 2 resulted in truncation. VERSION Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 12331 ESD#1/P/Sun_svr4/OS = 5.8/ase1253/1900/64-bit/FBO/Tue Jan 25 08:52:58 2005=20 Thanks. Romulo Igor RGS / BRASIL GOODCARD.com.br ------=_NextPart_000_0...

ct_fetch(): user api layer: internal common library error: The bind of result set item 2 resulted in an overflow
Hi, I have a SQLCA connection object to a ASE 12.0 Server. The following SELECT results in an error: ct_fetch(): user api layer: internal common library error: The bind of result set item 2 resulted in an overflow The same SELECT in SQL Advantage works perfect. sz_uses_zontalk_1 = "" sz_uses_zontalk_2 = "" ls_TerminalId = sz_terminal_id SELECT ISNULL(dba.tab_terminal.uses_zontalk_1,''), ISNULL(dba.tab_terminal.uses_zontalk_2,'') INTO :sz_uses_zontalk_1, :sz_uses_zontalk_2 FROM dba.tab_terminal WHERE dba.tab_ter...

BCP error: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error
On AIX, I am trying to BCP into a Sybase 11.5 server, data that was unloaded using BCP on Sybase 10 server and get the following msg: CSLIB Message: - L0/O0/S0/N24/1/0: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error: The conversion/operation was stopped due to a syntax error in the source field. Can anyone help me with this problem? I read somewhere in this newsgroup that EBF 8060 will fix this problem. Has anyone tried out this EBF? Will it work for Sybase on AIX? Thanks I. Kassam Hi, I'm answering this post for the sake of the archive. Most likely t...

ERROR: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: No driver of the requested protocol class is available
Hello! I get the error: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: No driver of the requested protocol class is available The client Sybase software we're using is (isql -v) 11.1.1: Sybase CTISQL Utility/11.1.1/P-EBF8058/sun_svr4/SPARC Solaris 2.5.1/1/OPT/Sat Aug 8 02:14:24 1998 The server database is Sybase 11.3.3 Anyone got a clue why I get that error? Thanks, Henrik Henrik Wallentin wrote: > I get the error: > ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: No driver of > the requested protocol class is av...

ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error
My problem started after the IP address of the sybase database server was changed. At the time I was connected to the database but once the change was made I lost connection to the server. I recycled my machine and attempted to reconnect after modifying the sql.ini file located in the sybase directory on my PC. I tried connecting via SQL Advantage and also using the command line isql mode but connection to the server was not successful. The error message I receive follows: Client Message: Layer 5, Origin 3, Severity 5, Number 4 ct_connect(): network packet layer: intern...

error with conection ODBC "ct_connect(): user api layer: ...."
--------------62D39085544FAE2281E8C6E3 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit When i create a System DSN and testing the new conections, the next messaje error show: [Image] Thanks --------------62D39085544FAE2281E8C6E3 Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="------------2CD61548ACE149D227D55D51" --------------2CD61548ACE149D227D55D51 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> When i crea...

bcp in help : cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error:
can some one give a work around for this bcp data file. I'm having problem to import/bcp in to the table due to some bad data I guess. Thanx C:\>bcp prod1..table1 in d:\et\input.txt -c -t"," -Usa -P -S<server> Starting copy... CSLIB Message: - L0/O0/S0/N36/1/0: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error: The result is truncated because the conversion/operation resulted in overflow. 1000 rows sent to SQL Server. 2000 rows sent to SQL Server. CSLIB Message: - L0/O0/S0/N36/1/0: cs_convert: cslib user api layer: common library error: The result is ...

error with conection ODBC "ct_connect(): user api layer: ...." #2
--------------41EBC313DED1F9A047F0EE24 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit When i create a System DSN and testing the new conections, the next messaje error show: [Image] Thanks --------------41EBC313DED1F9A047F0EE24 Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="------------CDEE1E0CD87B380727BBEA2C" --------------CDEE1E0CD87B380727BBEA2C Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit <!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"> <html> When i crea...

Web resources about - ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out. - sybase.ase.administration