Changing the server (unix) name.. Where ASE is installed

Hi,

I have a Sybase ASE 11.9.2 running on a Unix Solaris 8 server. I was
wondering how does it affect my ASE server, if the system administrator will
change the UNIX server name?
Should I change something in my ASE configuration?

Tank you for your answer.

Patrick.

0
Patrick

"Patrick Tahiri" <patrick.tahiri@telenor.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Sybase ASE 11.9.2 running on a Unix Solaris 8 server. I was
> wondering how does it affect my ASE server, if the system
administrator will
> change the UNIX server name?
> Should I change something in my ASE configuration?
>
> Tank you for your answer.

You you only need to change the interfaces file.  After you do so,
restart your server(s) and you'll be happy as a clam.
--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
www.hpdbe.com

0
Pablo
1/17/2002 3:43:03 PM
I just had a look to my interfaces file and effectivly I had this display:

Unix_machineName1
        master tli etc...
        query tli  etc..

Unix_machineName1_back
        master tli etc...
        query tli etc...

If my new name for the Unix machine server will be Unix_machineName2, is it
just a matter of changing:
Unix_machineName1 -- to -->> Unix_machineName2
Unix_machineName1_back -- to -->> Unix_machineName2_back
????

Many thanks for your help!
Thank you Pablo!

Regards,

Patrick.

"Pablo Sanchez" <pablo@dev.null> wrote in message

> "Patrick Tahiri" <patrick.tahiri@telenor.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Sybase ASE 11.9.2 running on a Unix Solaris 8 server. I was
> > wondering how does it affect my ASE server, if the system
> administrator will
> > change the UNIX server name?
> > Should I change something in my ASE configuration?
> >
> > Tank you for your answer.
> >

> You you only need to change the interfaces file.  After you do so,
> restart your server(s) and you'll be happy as a clam.
> --
> Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
> www.hpdbe.com
> Independent Contractor, available for short-term and long-term
> contracts

0
Patrick
1/17/2002 4:26:46 PM
No, that is the server name, you don't have to change it and if you do, you
have to change it a few other places as well (the RUN_<server> file, perhaps
the
local entry in the sysservers table, perhaps various scripts and cron jobs).
Interfaces files
have a couple of different formats, some list the hostname, others have the ip
address
and port embedded in a long hex string.  In either case, this would be where
you have
put "etc.".  Only if the hostname is listed there do you need to change it - if
you have
the hex string, then you don't (unless the SA is also changing the ip address
of the machine...)

-bret

Patrick Tahiri wrote:

> I just had a look to my interfaces file and effectivly I had this display:
>
> Unix_machineName1
>         master tli etc...
>         query tli  etc..
>
> Unix_machineName1_back
>         master tli etc...
>         query tli etc...
>
> If my new name for the Unix machine server will be Unix_machineName2, is it
> just a matter of changing:
> Unix_machineName1 -- to -->> Unix_machineName2
> Unix_machineName1_back -- to -->> Unix_machineName2_back
> ????
>
> Many thanks for your help!
> Thank you Pablo!
>
> Regards,
>
> Patrick.
>
> "Pablo Sanchez" <pablo@dev.null> wrote in message
> >
> > "Patrick Tahiri" <patrick.tahiri@telenor.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have a Sybase ASE 11.9.2 running on a Unix Solaris 8 server. I was
> > > wondering how does it affect my ASE server, if the system
> > administrator will
> > > change the UNIX server name?
> > > Should I change something in my ASE configuration?
> > >
> > > Tank you for your answer.
> > >

> > You you only need to change the interfaces file.  After you do so,
> > restart your server(s) and you'll be happy as a clam.
> > --
> > Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
> > www.hpdbe.com
> > Independent Contractor, available for short-term and long-term
> > contracts

0
Bret

Adding ASE to existing ASE-to-ASE Installation
I am using all ASE's in my SQLRemote setup. My current installation consists of a Consolidated ASE & 2 Remote ASE's. My attempt to add another Remote ASE to the existing installation consists of these steps: - Install the sqlremote system objects in the new Remote - Install the stable queues in the new Remote - Manually extract a bcp file of the shared table from the Cons server - Configure the Cons server for another subscriber - Configure the new Remote's shared table, publications, & subscriptions. - Manually b...

Change ASE server name
Hello. I am running sybase ASE 12.0 on Windows NT. I need to change the name of the sybase server. Can you tell me how to go about it please? Thanks Niamh Hi, Please find the link: http://www.isug.com/Sybase_FAQ/ASE/section1.1.html#1.1.15 Regards, -Jayadeva > Hello. > I am running sybase ASE 12.0 on Windows NT. > I need to change the name of the sybase server. > Can you tell me how to go about it please? > > Thanks > Niamh Check Interface file Vasudeva <Jayadeva> wrote in message news:4312c7bf.5490.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi, ...

ASE and ASE

ASE to ASE

ASE to Rep Server to Rep Server to ASE Configuration
Hello I am hoping someone can help me. I am relatively new to Rep server and definately new to this configuration. I am trying to set up replication from ASE to Rep server to remote Rep Server to ASE. I am doing this type of configuration because the one ASE server is in North America and one is in England. This was recommended to me by Sybase becuase the transformation/language of Rep Server to Rep Server is quicker over the wan. Anyway. I have a ASE to rep server to ASE configuration and had no problem setting that up. Now I am trying to set up a new replication environme...

RS 12.5
Hi all, I have a simple WS being used for parallel production for an ASE upgrade. Active is ASE 11.5, Standby is ASE 12.5.0.3. RSSD runs in the Standby ASE. The names of both ASEs will be changed soon. I understand the implications for the ASEs, but I'd like a sanity check for what has to be done for the RS, given names are changing for the RSSD ASE, the source and the destination. TIA, -- Joe Woodhouse Principal Consultant (former Sybase Technical Evangelist) Prima Donna Consulting Pty Ltd (IT. Business. Law. Children's Parties.) ...

ASA To ASE - VS

Does the ASE editon have to be set at install, or can it be changed after installation?
We have installed Sybase ASE using srvbuild and a resource file. We wanted to install the SBE (Small Business Edition), but didn't know how to using the resource file. Is there a resource file attribute for Adaptive Server to install as SBE? Or is this a post installation task? Thank you Do we have to use SYSAM to change from ASE_CORE to SBE (Small Business Edition)? > We have installed Sybase ASE using srvbuild and a resource > file. We wanted to install the SBE (Small Business > Edition), but didn't know how to using the resource file. > Is there a r...

ASE Unix installation
Hi, As i know ASE requires x-window for GUI installation. Does anyone know how can I setup x-window in Unix? Thanks "Dob" <poser@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:41f0a49a$1@forums-2-dub... > Hi, > > As i know ASE requires x-window for GUI installation. Does anyone know how > can I setup x-window in Unix? > > Thanks > You can also try "sybinit4ever", a free tool which uses only an ASCII interface to create a new ASE server. It can be downloaded from http://www.sypron.nl/si4evr.html HTH, Rob ----------------------...

ASE 15.0.2
Is it supported? Anyone tries this, if so, could you post the steps and comments. I don't want to use ECDA (gateway) here, unixODBC driver is preferred. Thanks You can't setup a "remote server" to anything other than another ASE, ECDA, or any other open server product. In order to connect to an ODBC target, your only option is ECDA. "dbMethods" <dbmethods@nospam.com> wrote in message news:47e19f5a@forums-1-dub... > Is it supported? Anyone tries this, if so, could you post the steps and > comments. I don't want to use ECDA (gateway)...

Passwords migration from ASE on NT to ASE on Unix
We are migrating our ASE servers from NT to Unix and trying to keep the logins and passwords, but it seems like is not posible across platforms (from NT to Unix). I was able to copy the syslogins data from a NT ASE server to another ASE NT server, but when I tried from Nt to Unix didn't work. Does someone know if there is a way to do it? Sergio No, the encryption is different on the two platforms. -bret Sergio.Nava wrote: > We are migrating our ASE servers from NT to Unix and trying to keep the > logins and passwords, but it seems like is not posible across...

ASE installation on W2K: SERVER ERROR: Failed to boot Server 'PROD'
Hi All i have installed windows 2000 with SP2. Then i was trying to install ASE 12.5 First phase of installation was successful. Then installation process asked for info to configure Adaptive server. I also accepted the default settings as mentioned in the installation guide. Then i got following error message: "SERVER ERROR: Failed to boot Server 'PROD'; process is running but server is unavailable." then when i hit ok, got message " Task Failed: Start the Sybase Server. Terminating Configuration" Checked errorlog file, as Mr Santosh mentioned, it didn&...

ASE 12.5 Installation - Failed to Boot Server
I've run out of possible solutions to this one. Afer Sybase ASE 12.5 Client and Server installation, receive the following errors when attempting to create the server: Failed to boot server "RYANPLAPTOP" Process is running but server is unavailable. Task Failed: Start Sybase Server. Terminating Configuration. I've seen Failed to boot server frequently, but never the "process is running but server is unavailable". Anybody got a clue? Thanks in advance... Trish What is your platform? if your platform is UNIX, you must set the UNIX kernel para...

Erase ASE server name
I deleted the folder Sybase manually after the installation was terminated suddenly. How can I erase old ASE server name and related settings manually?? Because Sybase doesn't allow me to use original server name again when I create a new ASE server using default server name (i.e. name of my server) from Server Config section. Pls help. Daniel "Daniel" <dso@le-fe.com> wrote in message news:8tW7dFsUBHA.235@forums.sybase.com... > I deleted the folder Sybase manually after the installation was terminated > suddenly. How can I erase old ASE server name an...

Web resources about - Changing the server (unix) name.. Where ASE is installed - sybase.ase.administration

Pre-installed software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bundled software is another name for pre-installed software, as pre-installed are all bundled with a hardware device of some kind. However, bundled ...

REPORT: Facebook Home Can Be Installed On All Android Devices Running 4.0 And Up
The good news: Facebook Home can now be run on all Android devices running version 4.0 of the mobile operating system or higher, even if they ...

CPU fan installed - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Garrette's photos on Flickr. Garrette has uploaded 3652 photos to Flickr.

Gay-friendly traffic lights installed in Vienna - YouTube
Keep up-to-date with the latest news, subscribe here: http://bit.ly/AFP-subscribe Several pedestrian crossings in Vienna are showing symbols ...

Brisbane's new public art installed
From a distance, it looks like Commissioner Gordon's Bat-signal.

Cameras installed on hull of ISS (00:59)

Where in the US is solar installed?

'Spyware' installed on rental laptops