ASE performance

Hi there, ask a rather beginner question here.
we have this ASE12.0 on Solaris 7. it's a enterprise 3000
machine, with 1G RAM, 2 CPUs both 168MHz. via /etc/system
assigned 800M to ASE. All other settings in the configure
file are mostly DEFAULT.
we donot have many concurrent users on system most of the
time, and the workload/ transaction is not very high. (most
time, just 50 to 60 users online).
however, lately users complains performance problem. esp
just only one user was running a little big large report.
and when I check sp_lock, actually very few locks, and just
some shared locks.... seems not much can do, and ask the
user to be patient....

Anyone can give me some suggestions on what I can do to
trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks.
0
crab7

Run sp_sysmon() :)
No, seriously, it is a good place to start. Run it for a half-hour or so
during the time when the load is average and see what it tells you. If
you're only running
the dataserver on this machine, you might bring two engines online and bind
them to
specific CPUs.
If your reports intensively use tempdb, you might consider putting that in
/tmp (or any tmpfs file system, see a great discussion about this at:
http://www.dbforums.com/archives/t292855.html).
<crab7> wrote in message news:3fbe43f3.4006.846930886@sybase.com...
> Hi there, ask a rather beginner question here.
> we have this ASE12.0 on Solaris 7. it's a enterprise 3000
> machine, with 1G RAM, 2 CPUs both 168MHz. via /etc/system
> assigned 800M to ASE. All other settings in the configure
> file are mostly DEFAULT.
> we donot have many concurrent users on system most of the
> time, and the workload/ transaction is not very high. (most
> time, just 50 to 60 users online).
> however, lately users complains performance problem. esp
> just only one user was running a little big large report.
> and when I check sp_lock, actually very few locks, and just
> some shared locks.... seems not much can do, and ask the
> user to be patient....
>
> Anyone can give me some suggestions on what I can do to
> trouble shoot this issue?
>
> Thanks.

0
Mike
11/22/2003 4:20:32 AM
You might want to run some of the OS monitoring tools, perfmeter,
sdtprocess,
prstat.   It looks to me like you have given sybase too much memory 800M out
1 gig
that only leaves 200M meg for applications and the OS.  You may be swapping
or paging
yor system to death.

<crab7> wrote in message news:3fbe43f3.4006.846930886@sybase.com...
> Hi there, ask a rather beginner question here.
> we have this ASE12.0 on Solaris 7. it's a enterprise 3000
> machine, with 1G RAM, 2 CPUs both 168MHz. via /etc/system
> assigned 800M to ASE. All other settings in the configure
> file are mostly DEFAULT.
> we donot have many concurrent users on system most of the
> time, and the workload/ transaction is not very high. (most
> time, just 50 to 60 users online).
> however, lately users complains performance problem. esp
> just only one user was running a little big large report.
> and when I check sp_lock, actually very few locks, and just
> some shared locks.... seems not much can do, and ask the
> user to be patient....
>
> Anyone can give me some suggestions on what I can do to
> trouble shoot this issue?
>
> Thanks.

ASE and ASE

ASE to ASE

ASA To ASE - VS

Adding ASE to existing ASE-to-ASE Installation
I am using all ASE's in my SQLRemote setup. My current installation consists of a Consolidated ASE & 2 Remote ASE's. My attempt to add another Remote ASE to the existing installation consists of these steps: - Install the sqlremote system objects in the new Remote - Install the stable queues in the new Remote - Manually extract a bcp file of the shared table from the Cons server - Configure the Cons server for another subscriber - Configure the new Remote's shared table, publications, & subscriptions. - Manually b...

Performance advantage of ASE 64 Bit over ASE 32 Bit version
Hi Folks, Is any there any performance gains when using ASE 64 bit versus ASE 32 bit version like larger memory gains hence good performance? Thanks Jayesh The more memory , the more data you can cache, the better performance. <Jayesh> wrote in message news:4460bb13.194c.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi Folks, > > Is any there any performance gains when using ASE 64 bit > versus ASE 32 bit version like larger memory gains hence > good performance? > > > Thanks > Jayesh > The more memory , the more data you can cache, the better...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a HP-UX 10.20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a HP-UX 11.0 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (32 bits) Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system and sybase version) We've noted that it starts really fast but slows down gradually. We�ve tried many ways to improve the performance: -Increase the max memory. -Increase the number of engines at startup...

Performance Degradation after ASE 12.0 upgrade to ASE 12.5
Hello, There was a issue posted on 08/06/2002 by 'Bob' related to performance degradation after upgrade of ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5. I would like to know whether anyone has found any solution/workaround to resolve those issues without making any changes in the application code. We are also facing the same problems here after upgrade of ASE 12.0 to ASE 12.5. The program which takes 10 mins. on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 3 hrs to finish on ASE 12.5 despite of using the same indexes and the program which takes 3 hrs on ASE 12.0 is taking more than 24 hours on ASE 12.5. ...

ASE 12.5 vs ASE 11.5 performance issues
Hi All, Again my question is about performance of ASE 12.5 against 11.5.01 We have a huge production client-server application running on W2K server with ASE 11.5.0.1 database (more than 400 tables, 2000 stored procedures). The database was placed on raw disk partitions (no RAID) and split between different physical drives as follows: data, log, tempdb and master database are located on different drives. We have two PIII, 1GHz, 1 GB of memory and give 800MB for ASE. We create separate tempdb cache and bind tempdb to it. Database was bind to default data cache. Then we want to switc...

Performance issues after upgrate ASE 11.5 to ASE 12.5 #2
Hi How can we improve performance? We're moving a database that was operating fairly well on a Sun 3000 with=20 Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits) to a Sun 10000 with Adaptive=20 Server Enterprise v. 12.5 (64 bits) and Solaris v. 8 Our problem is the slower performance of the database on the new, more=20 powerful and faster machine with newer software (in both operative system=20 and sybase version) A particular query with insert used to work for about 2 hours in a Sun 3000= =20 with Adaptive Server Enterprise v. 11.5 (32 bits).=20 In a Sun 10000 with Adaptive ...

ASE optimizer behavior differences and Performance differences between ASEs: 11.50/ 11.9.2
Hi, I wish I could report that the 11.9.2.4 ASE is performing better then our 11.50 AS instances, but then I would probably not be submitting this post. I have two similar ASE instances which appear to have identical table,indexes,segments,devices. The row counts of the two tables are only off by 1000 and that is expected. Showplan reveals that the optimizer is behaviing very differently between the two instances , not supprised. The new 11.9.2.4/1175/P/SWR/9520 ASE is performing poorly and I can not proced with upgrading my other servers to 11.9.2 untill I accertain the performanc...

Diferrence of performance on queries betwenne a ASE 11.5.1.1 and ASE 12.0
I'm on the way to migrate from ASE 11.5.1.1 (on HP-UX 10.0) to ASE 12.0 (64= =20 bits on HP-UX 11). My tests shows good and bad performance with queries. I'm very interesting with yours. Can you tell me about them. Thank you. Fran=E7oise GOISLARD DBA=20 =20 Francoise, There are major functional changes in ASE 11.9.2 and above. I'm glad to see you're testing. How did you get the data to 12.0? Have you turned on any of the 12.0 options? HAve you attempted any tuning? What, if anything, have you done so far? If you have a specific problem query that can b...

Replication between ASE and ASE URGENT
HI everybody Can you help me please with the following question. We need to syncronize ASE to ASE ( bidirectional) Initially, it was planned to implement with SQL remote, but it isn't available. With replication server, it isn't a solution beacuse, the customer doesn=B4t have a comunntication channel all time. We think use Mobiliink Server to replictase ASE to ASE, but using an ASA in the middle, so that, first it replicate ASE to ASA, and later, ASA to ASE, is it this feasible ??? Thanks four your answer "Marco" <mbarrion@uniplex.com.ec> wr...

sql-remote between ASE and ASE
hello! sql-remote document don't give us help with replication with ASE and ASE. i need detail how to do it. i use ASE12 + NT4.0 + SQL Remote6.0.2 . i test it in the list 1�� define messagetype : smtp 2�� define use_name :one is publisher,the other is remote user_name 3�� define publisher,publication,subscription 4��execute ssremote.exe to receive or send message I failed at the step of extract database .i don't extract the database . please help me ,tell me the datail of sql-remote confige. Thanks a lot , ...

Solaris ASE to Linux ASE
We are looking into using Replication Server to Set up Warm Standby of Production ASE databases - Primary site being on Solaris platform - Standby Copy on Linux. Does any utilize this configuration ? What is the best way to initialize data on the Standby Server ? What other issues should I be concerned with ? Hi, Technically you can setup Warm Standby across platforms. It may work well too with Replication Server. However, you cannot dump and load the databases (cross platform dump and load not supported), hence there will be issues when you need to resync your databases. Eac...

Web resources about - ASE performance - sybase.ase.administration

Andrew Bogut puts back issues behind him in return performance against Utah Jazz
Andrew Bogut's third double-double of the NBA season shows he is ready for the Christmas Day clash with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ars Technica’s (virtual) Performance Car of the Year
... coming out of the very slow turns 11 and 12. Brakes could be better. 18 more images in gallery 2015 has been the year of the performance car ...

Cam Newton Comments on Panthers' Performance in Loss to Falcons - Bleacher Report
The 1972 Miami Dolphins can rest easy, but the rest of the NFL will have to deal with an even more determined Cam Newton after the Carolina Panthers ...

How Twitter used Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Improve Notification Performance
... Advocate In October, we published a blog post about how Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) works with Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to bring performance ...

Consumers value this in-car technology more than driving performance
... by the infotainment screen has been growing over the past year. In fact, consumers value in-car technology more than the car's driving performance, ...

How to make your performance review meaningful
Make your performance review meaningful Image by Thinkstock There's a prevailing opinion that performance reviews aren't the best way to evaluate ...

Wingels evaluates personal performance vs Hawks, reflects on year
... 58° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Wingels evaluates personal performance ...

NFL Player Fined For Watching His Daughter’s Halftime Performance
NFL Player Fined For Watching His Daughter’s Halftime Performance

Deadline’s The Contenders: How The Music In ‘Youth’ Became Such A Vital Part Of Michael Caine’s Performance ...
At Deadline’s big awards season day long event last month , The Contenders Presented By Deadline, Youth composer David Lang explained his process ...