Any way to force Open Client password encryption?

Hi,
Anyone know if there is a way to force Open Client password
encryption on?  In other words, make ASE deny the connection
if the CS_SEC_ENCRYPTION connection property is not set (or
the -X option is not supplied to isql, bcp, etc).

I've not seen anything in Sybooks that would suggest that
this
is possible, so this is a long shot...  but it would be nice
to know
either way!

thanks,
Graham
0
Graham

Offhand, the only way I can think of to do this would be to
write an Openserver passthrough gateway that clients would connect
to and be passed through to ASE, and it could check for the property.

You can require clients to use one of the unified login techniques
(kerberos, DCE, etc.) with the sp_configure option "unified login
required", but that is not quite the same thing.

-bret

Graham, Hick wrote:

> Hi,
> Anyone know if there is a way to force Open Client password
> encryption on?  In other words, make ASE deny the connection
> if the CS_SEC_ENCRYPTION connection property is not set (or
> the -X option is not supplied to isql, bcp, etc).
>
> I've not seen anything in Sybooks that would suggest that
> this
> is possible, so this is a long shot...  but it would be nice
> to know
> either way!
>
> thanks,
> Graham
0
Bret

password encryption through open client
Hello As I know that by using ODBC connection, there is a click box which can encrypt the password. However, I don't know how to encrypt the password by using open client connection. Any other parameters can pass to open client to enable the password encryption? Regards Kwan 15 April 2002 You can write your open client programs to accept any arbitrary parameter to enable password encryption; the usual standard, though is, '-X'. If you have any other followup questions on open client, please post them to the open client newsgroup sybase.public.conne...

Password Encryption through Open Client using Delphi
I am going to develop a client application using Delphi 6 Enterprise Edition to access Sybase using Open Client with password encryption feature. I have read passages on how to do password encryption through Open Client. However, it looked like C code. Can anyone enlighten me on how and where to put the password encryption codes in my Delphi program. I am quite sure it should be somewhere around the database component property. But I don't know what exactly to do. Thanks for your help. ...

Open Client - ASE 15
I have been running 12.5.3 and have the user ID and password embedded in the registry settings of the ODBC driver. How do I do that in 15? On 1 May 2007 14:03:41 -0700, Bob Hassel wrote: Try the sybase.public.connectivity.odbc newsgroup if you get no response here. J >I have been running 12.5.3 and have the user ID and password >embedded in the registry settings of the ODBC driver. > >How do I do that in 15? Hi Bob, How do you embed the password in the registry? What odbc driver is this? -Paul <Bob Hassel> wrote in message news:4637ab2d.5d4b.1...

Does MD5 encryption function good way to encrypt the password?
I am using Md5 to encrypt the password for the login in my senior project.... and it seems good... but my question is... does it good way to encrypt the password using MD5 since I Know it is a hashing function used for long messages to be hashed in to smaller encrypted fixed size messages... thanx   To my recollection, MD5 has been cracked, so I avoided using MD5. http://www.technewsworld.com/story/35926.htmlNow Sha1 seemed to have been cracked too by a chinese team. Depends on how anal you are and how you implemented your project, I would suggest you make an Interface f...

Encryption format for password when "Save password" option selected on client.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Novell iFolder\%username%\Home\ EncryptedPasswordLength = 08000000 EncryptedPassword = 2022404A475F4254 These entries were created after the "Save password" option was selected on the iFolder client. (iFolder 2.15) Does anyone know whether those registry entries contain the password and if so what encryption algorithm is used, or if the entries are a key to the password in eDirectory (say secret store) then what mechanism is used to retrieve the password? I am trying to work out whether the password is stored in a more secure manner than...

Open Client and ASE
ASE 11.9.2.4 (ESD 4 - SWR 9582) AIX 4.3.3 (IBM RS/6000) What files, if any, does ASE load as dynamic libraries from $LIBPATH (the AIX shared library path, same as $LD_LIBRARY_PATH on Solaris) on startup in order to be able to communicate with Open Client applications? Kind regards. In article <BBEFF7FEE94BF9F50039174385256A86.0039175085256A86@webforums>, "Darren" <unknown@spammesenseless.net> wrote: > ASE 11.9.2.4 (ESD 4 - SWR 9582) AIX 4.3.3 (IBM RS/6000) > > What files, if any, does ASE load as dynamic libraries from $LIBPATH > (the AIX s...

A recommended way of encrypting passwords.
Hello Everybody,can anyone recommned me a way (some standart solution, tutorial, class name ...) to encrypt string password? I have a 64 character nchar field for password, and it should be encrypted - so I need some good function which will convert a string to a 64 character encrypted string (so that I can compare them in my membership provider).Thanks in advnace,Jozef A. Habdank  Have you considered using an MD5 Hash? This article should give you all the help you need as I use a similar method in my apps. http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/112002-1.aspx=====================...

ASE Open Client Installation
I'm trying to install the open client from the ASE CD (11.9.2 and 11.0.3) and getting an access violation. I'm running NT WKStation 4.0 with SR4 on a P266 notebook with 128mg of memory and 6.4g hard drive. It appears that the initial installation is going along fine until the very end when the install is trying to update the registry... Here is copy of the sybsetup.log that gets created during the install... Sybsetup 2.1.1.1 Current date is 7-24-1999 Current time is 10:16:47 Initializing the screen... Initializing Sybsetup internal global variables... Detecting your s...

ASE/Open client compatibility
Hi all We're considering moving up to ASE 12.5 (from 11.9.2) and I was wondering what the min 'Open client' version 12.5 requires.. as in can I install my new 12.5 ASE and maintain my 11.1.x open client? TIA P. ....Never mind.. got the answer when I went browsing through the 'open client' group. :-P Thks anyway.. P. ...

Encryption password through ope client
Hello As I know that by using ODBC connection, there is a click box which can encrypt the password. However, I know how to encrypt the password by using open client connection. Any other parameters can pass to open client to enable the password encryption? Regards Kwan 15 April 2002 ...

Open Clients with ASE for Linux
Before I build a Linux box as a Sybase server, can anybody tell me whether the distribution includes Open Clients for WIN 95/NT or whether I have to buy these separately. Thanks Paul Paul Le Monde wrote: > > Before I build a Linux box as a Sybase server, can anybody tell me > whether the distribution includes Open Clients for WIN 95/NT or whether > I have to buy these separately. AFAIK you have to buy those separately. Michael -- Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc. mpeppler@mbay.net -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler Int. Sybase Use...

PB ASE Open Client Problem
hi, I have an application in PowerBuilder. PB 9.0.3 Build 8511. Database ASE 12.5.3 My application is working fine When i use the ODBC driver "PB DATADIRECT OEM 4.10 Sybase ASE". I got the following error "Index id 2 on table id 987199586 cannot be used in the optimization of a query as it is SUSPECT. Please have the SA run DBCC REINDEX on the specified table. (310)", when i use the open client. If i run the DBCC Reindex for that table it gives the same error for next query. Pls. help me to solve this issue. TIA Mani ...

Connect to a ASA with Open Client of ASE
Hello, I need to connect to a ASA with Open Client of ASE, I already got to connect through SQL Advantage, but I am not getting to connect for PowerBuilder and nor for the application. Thank you very much, Francisco Freitas __________________________________________________________________ Francisco Freitas __________________________________________________________________ This is unsupported from PowerBuilder. PB only supports ODBC connectivity to ASA. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere....

open client secure communication with ASE
HI, Could we set up ASE or open client so that the communication b/w open client and ASE is encrypted. We currently have an application that needs to pass in a password from client machine to ASE server and we don't want that communication in clear text. Could somebody let me know ASE's capability on supporting SSL? Thanks! Jason Go to the docs: http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp and search on "ssl" or whatever search criteria you want ... <Jason Chen> wrote in message news:4367e3c8.7479.1681692777@sybase.com... > HI, > > Co...

Web resources about - Any way to force Open Client password encryption? - sybase.ase.administration

Encryption - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For technical reasons, an encryption scheme usually uses a pseudo-random encryption key generated by an algorithm. It is in principle possible ...

REPORT: Facebook’s Outdated Web Encryption Technology May Have Enabled Prism
Facebook still uses encryption keys with 1,024-bit lengths, while the industry standard used by Internet companies — including Apple, Microsoft, ...

Search Twitter - encryption
Sign in Sign up Search Refresh Tech Investor News @ TechInvestNews 2m Secusmart puts its BlackBerry encryption chip to work on the desktop (Netflash) ...

Symantec Mobile Encryption for iOS for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Symantec Mobile Encryption for iOS on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Apple at center stage of Republican presidential debate over encryption & national security
Apple’s strong position on privacy and encryption has been at odds with the United States government’s pressure to step up its national security ...

AT&T’s CEO thinks Congress, not Silicon Valley and Apple, should make encryption policy
... Randall Stephenson, speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, made clear who he thinks should be leading the charge on encryption ...

Yet another bill seeks to weaken encryption-by-default on smartphones
(credit: Julien Sabardu ) A second state lawmaker has now introduced a bill that would prohibit the sale of smartphones with unbreakable encryption. ...

BlackBerry denies existence of security backdoors and blames 'cracked' encryption on user error
BlackBerry has spoken out to deny claims that its encryption has been cracked by groups associated with the police in the Netherlands. The company ...

New York bill would force Apple to include encryption backdoors in new iPhones
... to On the Wire , a bill is making its way through the New York state assembly that is seeking to require smartphone makers to include encryption ...

Congress eyes commission to tackle encryption debate
... legislation will be introduced to create a national commission on security and technology that addresses the growing concern over encryption ...