Re: [wxperl-users] wxPerl 0.23 Release Candidate

  Hello,

> I'm very interested in using this for 10.4/Tiger, but I'm a=
 little
> worried about how it will "play nice" with the existing wxWi=
dgets
> install (2.5.3 or 2.5.4 I think) that comes with Tiger.  Do yo=
u know

  2.5.3.

> whether those .pkg files will overwrite anythin=
g?

  I have not checked (stupid me). However the wxWidgets
package in=
stalls the libraries under /usr/local and the
wxWidgets binaries are def=
initely not there (and if they were
they would have a different name). I=
 have no idea
about the wxPerl shipped with Tiger. If they did things by=
 the book
it should be installed in the 'vendor' directories while the .=
pkg
should install in the 'site' directory; if Apple did not things
by =
the book then the package will almost likely overwrite
the wxPerl shippe=
d with the OS.

Regards
Mattia
=0A=0A=0A=0A__________________________=
__________________________________=0A6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a =
56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!=0AScaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http=
://www.libero.it=0A

0
mattia
6/15/2005 4:07:11 PM
perl.wxperl.users 3070 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I opened up the package files and checked.

It looks like Tiger's wxPerl lives in /System/Library/Perl/Extras.  =20
The libs are in /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.8.6/darwin-thread-=20
multi-2level/Wx*, and there's an intriguing application called =20
wxPerl.app sitting in /System/Library/Perl/Extras/Applications (what =20
does it do I wonder?  an example app maybe from a wxPerl enthusiast =20
working at Apple?)

I believe that means an install in /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-=20
multi-2level/ (which is what the pkg file does) will supersede it =20
without clobbering it.  It may overwrite /usr/bin/wxPerl; I'll back =20
that up just in case.

On Jun 15, 2005, at 11:44 AM, mattia.barbon@libero.it wrote:

>   Hello,
>

>> I'm very interested in using this for 10.4/Tiger, but I'm a little
>> worried about how it will "play nice" with the existing wxWidgets
>> install (2.5.3 or 2.5.4 I think) that comes with Tiger.  Do you know
>>

>   2.5.3.
>

>> whether those .pkg files will overwrite anything?
>>

>   I have not checked (stupid me). However the wxWidgets
> package installs the libraries under /usr/local and the
> wxWidgets binaries are definitely not there (and if they were
> they would have a different name). I have no idea
> about the wxPerl shipped with Tiger. If they did things by the book
> it should be installed in the 'vendor' directories while the .pkg
> should install in the 'site' directory; if Apple did not things
> by the book then the package will almost likely overwrite
> the wxPerl shipped with the OS.
>
> Regards
> Mattia

ed