[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.06

Hello,
I released the new version of wxPerl.

The source package is available on the
SouceForge download page at

A binary PPM package for ActivePerl/Win32 and
wxWindows documentation patched for wxPerl are
available at
ftp://wxperl.sourceforge.net/pub/wxperl/0.06/
ftp://wxperl.sourceforge.net/pub/wxperl/0.06/INSTALL.txt
for details

The PPM is based on wxWindows 2.2.6, the docs are
wxWindows 2.2.6 docs + some wxPerl specific notes; you may browse
the HTML version using the wxWindows help viewer.
( the only change in the docs since 0.05 is that the 0.06
  docs are cross referenced, so if you don't need cross references
  you may save a bit of bandwidth )

Regards
Mattia

0
mbarbon
4/14/2001 2:11:47 PM
perl.wxperl.users 3070 articles. 0 followers. Follow

wxPerl 0.06 source tarball
wxWindows 2.26
Win2000 Version 5.00.2195

    "gcc -v" lists gcc version as:
Reading specs from c:\gcc-2.95.2-1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\2.95.2\specs
gcc driver version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) executing gcc version
2.95.2-mingw snapshot 20010329

    wxWindows dll compiles fine, wxWindows samples compile and run fine,
wxPerl 0.05 source compiles, tests, and runs fine. Compiling wxPerl 0.06
reports no errors, but running "dmake test" does the following..

C:\Wx-0.06>dmake test
C:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe -Mblib -IC:\Perl\lib -IC:\Perl\lib -e "use
Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;"
t\1_load.t t\2_inheritance.t
Using C:/Wx-0.06/blib
t\1_load............Can't load 'C:/Wx-0.06/blib/arch/auto/Wx/Wx.dll' for
module Wx: load_file:Invalid access to memory location at
C:\Perl\lib/DynaLoader.pm line 200.
 at t\1_load.t line 4
Compilation failed in require at t\1_load.t line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t\1_load.t line 4.
t\1_load............dubious
        Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
t\2_inheritance.....Can't load 'C:/Wx-0.06/blib/arch/auto/Wx/Wx.dll' for
module Wx: load_file:Invalid access to memory location at
C:\Perl\lib/DynaLoader.pm line 200.
 at t\2_inheritance.t line 4
Compilation failed in require at t\2_inheritance.t line 4.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at t\2_inheritance.t line 4.
t\2_inheritance.....dubious
        Test returned status 255 (wstat 65280, 0xff00)
FAILED--2 test scripts could be run, alas--no output ever seen
dmake.exe:  Error code 2, while making 'test_dynamic'

    (Similar errors occur when trying "perl run minimal" to run a sample
app)
    Not sure what's going on here, especially since this compiler setup
works for everything _but_ wxPerl 0.06 (and higher, a cvs snapshot pulled
this afternoon (May 2 2001) from sourceforge had the same results). I did
notice that the makefile is using "g++ -shared" to make the wx dll's, rather
than the "old", 2 step linking process used by the wxPerl 0.05 makefile (and
the wxWindows 2.2.6 makefiles).

0
lmdev
5/2/2001 6:02:48 PM
> wxPerl 0.06 source tarball
> wxWindows 2.26
> Win2000 Version 5.00.2195
>
>     "gcc -v" lists gcc version as:
> Reading specs from
> c:\gcc-2.95.2-1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\2.95.2\specs gcc driver
> version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) executing gcc version 2.95.2-mingw
> snapshot 20010329
I use a different one:
----
Reading specs from C:\Programmi\Devel\GCC\bin\..\lib\gcc-
lib\mingw32\2.95.2\specs
gcc driver version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) executing gcc version
2.95.2-20001116
----
 but maybe it is an ld / libbfd problem...

>     wxWindows dll compiles fine, wxWindows samples compile and run
>     fine,
> wxPerl 0.05 source compiles, tests, and runs fine. Compiling wxPerl
> 0.06 reports no errors, but running "dmake test" does the following..
>
> C:\Wx-0.06>dmake test
> C:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe -Mblib -IC:\Perl\lib -IC:\Perl\lib -e "use
> Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;"
> t\1_load.t t\2_inheritance.t Using C:/Wx-0.06/blib
> t\1_load............Can't load 'C:/Wx-0.06/blib/arch/auto/Wx/Wx.dll'
> for module Wx: load_file:Invalid access to memory location at
mmm... weird

>     Not sure what's going on here, especially since this compiler
>     setup
> works for everything _but_ wxPerl 0.06 (and higher, a cvs snapshot
> pulled this afternoon (May 2 2001) from sourceforge had the same
> results). I did notice that the makefile is using "g++ -shared" to
> make the wx dll's, rather than the "old", 2 step linking process used
> by the wxPerl 0.05 makefile (and the wxWindows 2.2.6 makefiles).
FWIW wxWindows 2.2.6 can be set up to use g++ -shared ( there is a
 comment in src/makeg95.env )

Anyway...
in wxPerl source tree
build/Win32_MinGW.pm , at the bottom there is a function starting
like this:

sub dynamic_lib {
  package MY;

  my( $this ) = shift;
  my( $text ) = $this->SUPER::dynamic_lib( @_ );

  return $text unless $text =~ m/dlltool/i;

  my $wximplib = MM->catfile( wxConfig::top_dir(),
                              qw(blib arch auto Wx Wx.a) );

change the line
  return $text unless $text =~ m/dlltool/i;
  return $text;

and redo the whole build ( perl Makefile.PL ; ... )
And let me know it it works...
Sorry for the bug, I use g++ -shared because it is faster, and
should be better in general...

BTW, your bug report is _great_
  ( I mean: detailed / well explained )

Thanks
Mattia

0
mbarbon
5/2/2001 9:07:27 PM
<big snip>

> Anyway...
> in wxPerl source tree
> build/Win32_MinGW.pm , at the bottom there is a function starting like
> this:

 It was more than this: use the current CVS ( do you use cvs, or the
snapshots I put in wxperl site? just curious... ), I made all
necessary changes

Sorry for the silly mistake...
Mattia

0
mbarbon
5/2/2001 11:04:45 PM
> > c:\gcc-2.95.2-1\bin\..\lib\gcc-lib\mingw32\2.95.2\specs gcc driver
> > version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) executing gcc version 2.95.2-mingw
> > snapshot 20010329
> I use a different one:
> ----
> Reading specs from C:\Programmi\Devel\GCC\bin\..\lib\gcc-
> lib\mingw32\2.95.2\specs
> gcc driver version 2.95.2 19991024 (release) executing gcc version
> 2.95.2-20001116
> ----
>  but maybe it is an ld / libbfd problem...

Okay, we tried using the new USE_SHARED option in the cvs (grabbed using
cvs, not the nightly zip, (since you wanted to know)) copy, but that did not
make a difference (i.e. still get the same error on "dmake test"). We think
that maybe trying to get a mingw setup more closely identical to yours may
be the next thing to try. Part of the problem may be incorrect/incompatible
versions of the various mingw packages, and part of the problem may simply
be that we aren't unpacking them all together quite correctly.

To at least make sure that we are trying to work with the same versions,
we'd like to know (if you could) what versions/dates of the various mingw
packages you use. The packages that we have been downloading are the
following:

binutils
gcc (but we already know you're using gcc-2.95.2-20001116)
ld
libbfd
mingw-runtime
w32api

(We have been using 0.4 of mingw-runtime and w32api, to avoid having to go
through the trouble of needing to patch the wxWindows source.)

0
lmdev
5/3/2001 2:38:39 PM
> > > wxPerl 0.06 source tarball
> > > wxWindows 2.26
> > > Win2000 Version 5.00.2195

> Okay, we tried using the new USE_SHARED option in the cvs (grabbed
No, don't use it: using USE_SHARED you end up linking with
g++ -shared _as it did previously_, by _not_ using it
( or setting USE_SHARED=0 ) you should obtain a dlltool/dllwrap
default linking... the point of USE_SHARED is that I can use it
for developement, while people not knowing/using it obtain a standard
( hopefully safe... ) build, or know what they are doing
Sorry again for the wasted time.

> using cvs, not the nightly zip, (since you wanted to know)) copy, but
> that did not make a difference (i.e. still get the same error on
> "dmake test"). We think that maybe trying to get a mingw setup more
if you built with
perl Makefile.PL USE_SHARED=1

the results should be _identical_ to previous results

> closely identical to yours may be the next thing to try. Part of the
> problem may be incorrect/incompatible versions of the various mingw
> packages, and part of the problem may simply be that we aren't
> unpacking them all together quite correctly.
1 - if they are grabbed at the same time, there shuold be no problem
2 - if GCC works & compiles wxWIndows & wxPerl, it is unlikely
    that you have an unpacking problem... usually unpacking
    problems result in weird compile/link time errors

> To at least make sure that we are trying to work with the same
> versions, we'd like to know (if you could) what versions/dates of the
> various mingw packages you use. The packages that we have been
> downloading are the following:

binutils-2.10.91-20010114.zip
gcc-2.95.2-20001116.zip
ld-2.10.91-20010126.zip
libbfd-2.10.91-20010121.zip
make-3.77-mingw32.zip
mingw-runtime-0.5-20010221.tar.gz
mingw32-docs-html.exe
w32api-0.5-20010301.tar.gz

But is probably time that I get the "latest all" and try it out

> (We have been using 0.4 of mingw-runtime and w32api, to avoid having
> to go through the trouble of needing to patch the wxWindows source.)
Different w32api versions should not make any difference, anyway

Thanks for your patience...
Mattia

0
mbarbon
5/3/2001 7:24:23 PM
> if you built with
> perl Makefile.PL USE_SHARED=1
>
> the results should be _identical_ to previous results

Sorry for not being quite clear before, we were doing
perl Makefile.PL USE_SHARED=0
...trying again with simply not specifying USE_SHARED at all had the same
results (it used dlltool, and still broke anyway)

> 1 - if they are grabbed at the same time, there shuold be no problem
> 2 - if GCC works & compiles wxWIndows & wxPerl, it is unlikely
>     that you have an unpacking problem... usually unpacking
>     problems result in weird compile/link time errors

That is good to know, at least by way of eliminating a level of paranoia
about what could be wrong.

> binutils-2.10.91-20010114.zip
> gcc-2.95.2-20001116.zip
> ld-2.10.91-20010126.zip
> libbfd-2.10.91-20010121.zip
> make-3.77-mingw32.zip
> mingw-runtime-0.5-20010221.tar.gz
> mingw32-docs-html.exe
> w32api-0.5-20010301.tar.gz

Tried these versions of the packages (well, with w32api 0.4), wxPerl
compiled fine again, and broke again in the same way. This is really wierd.
We have no idea what else could be going on here.

0
lmdev
5/3/2001 8:40:28 PM
> Sorry for not being quite clear before, we were doing
> perl Makefile.PL USE_SHARED=0
> ..trying again with simply not specifying USE_SHARED at all had the
> same results (it used dlltool, and still broke anyway)
I was _really_ hoping it was that simple...

> > binutils-2.10.91-20010114.zip
> > gcc-2.95.2-20001116.zip
> > ld-2.10.91-20010126.zip
> > libbfd-2.10.91-20010121.zip
> > make-3.77-mingw32.zip
> > mingw-runtime-0.5-20010221.tar.gz
> > mingw32-docs-html.exe
> > w32api-0.5-20010301.tar.gz
> >

> Tried these versions of the packages (well, with w32api 0.4), wxPerl
> compiled fine again, and broke again in the same way. This is really
> wierd. We have no idea what else could be going on here.
Just to be sure, I did a fresh GCC install with these packages
( and w32api/mingw-runtime 0.4 ); after some header moving
( I have the w32api with the wrong packaging scheme... ), it
compiled wxWindows, ( just had to change typedef long INT32; ->
typedef int INT32; in jmorecfg.h ), then did a build
with perl -MConfig_m Makefile.PL in the cvs snapshot you're
using, guess what? all compiled/linked/run fine...

Last chance: send me your build log ( dmake > build.log )
I _now_ remember I had a similar problem: it was caused
by some combination of -mdll -lmsvcrt, or something like this
( the problem is that I don't remember if it happened with ActivePerl
  or perl built from sources, with dlltool or -shared... )
If it is this, it is a bug in Config_m.pm

Thanks
Mattia

0
mbarbon

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.15
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the source from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 8xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last version: - Removed support for wxWindows 2.2.x and 2.3.x. - Removed support for Perl 5.004. - Started documentation for the extension api (see Wx/Api.pod). - Added...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.14
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the source from CPAN. Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 8xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ Changes since the last version: - new DEPRECATIONS section in README.txt, please read it - Added Wx::CalendarCtrl. - Added Wx::DateTime (not the full interface). - Restored compatibility with perl 5.005. - Internal changes: objects returned by various constr...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.23
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWidgets, is out! You can download the sources from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 8xx builds, Red Hat Linux and Mac OS X are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last release: - Added wxArtProvider and Wx::PlArtProvider (thanks to Matthew "Cheetah" Gabeler-Lee). - Compatibility with wxWidgets 2.5.4, 2.6.0 and 2.6.1. - Added Wx::PlPreviewFrame, W...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.09
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows is out! You can download the source from http://prdownload.sourceforge.net/wxperl/Wx-0.09.tar.gz Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx builds, Redhat Linux 7.1 and Debian GNU/Linux "woody" are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15655 and http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ Changes from the last version: - wxTaskBarIcon ( MS Windows only ) - wxGrid, wxGridCellAttr - wxGridCellRenderer, wxGridCellEditor - wxProcess and ...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.13
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the source from CPAN. Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 9xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ Changes since the last version: - new DEPRECATIONS section in README.txt, please read it - New build system, allows building wxPerl extension written using XS outside of the wxPerl tree. - Added Wx::Wave - Added Wx::MemoryFSHandler - Added Wx::Per...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.16
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the sources from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 8xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last release: - Added Wx::PlGridCellEditor and Wx::PlGridCellRenderer for custom Wx::Grid cell editing/displaying. - Added Wx::PlGridTable for custom Wx::Grid storage. - Fixed ...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.12b2
Hello, this is a wxPerl CVS snapshot compiled agains wxWindows 2.3.3 Since wxWindows 2.3.3 is (hopefully) the last developement release before 2.4.0, you are *strongly* encouraged to try it and report bugs. I will try to provide frequent updates (compiled against the 2.4.0-to-be branch). wxPerl changes: - new DEPRECATIONS section in README.txt, please read it - it is now possibile to get the native handle of a Wx::Window - implemented wxWizard and related classes - Document/View framework (thanks to Simon Flack) - implemented wxFontEnumerator and wxFontMapper Thanks! Ma...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.19
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the sources from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 8xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last release: - Started wxHtmlParser/wxHtmlTag/custom tag handlers wrapping. - Mac OS X build now installs the 'wxPerl' binary in perl bin directory. - wxDatagramSocket and wxSockAddress. - ...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.21
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the sources from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 8xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last release: - Fixed installation of 'wxPerl' command on Mac OS X. - Fixed running in the embedded case (still requires the application to call ExitMainLoop at the right places). - Wrapped wxNavi...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.26
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWidgets, is out! You can download the sources from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 8xx builds, Red Hat Linux and Mac OS X are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last release: - Fixed various Wx::GridBagSizer problems. - Fixed Original Object Return for Wx::PlGridCellEditor and Wx::PlGridCellRenderer. - Removed the requirement of deriving from Wx::App. - Expan...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.08
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows is out! You can download the source from http://prdownload.sourceforge.net/wxperl/Wx-0.08.tar.gz Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx builds, Redhat Linux 7.1 and Debian GNU/Linux "woody" are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15655 and http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ Regards Mattia > One thing though, clicking on serveral of the things in the demo make > it crash. 1 such thing is the MDI. When I try cli...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.11
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows is out! You can download the source from http://prdownload.sourceforge.net/wxperl/Wx-0.11.tar.gz Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx builds, Redhat Linux 7.1 and Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=15655 and http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ Changes since the last version: - wxStyledTextControl, based on Scintilla (thanks to Marcus Friedlaender) - Wx::Perl::SplashFast, for faster splash screens (...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.12
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows is out! You can download the source from CPAN. Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx builds and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/ Changes since the last version: - new DEPRECATIONS section in README.txt, please read it - it is now possibile to get the native handle of a Wx::Window - implemented wxWizard and related classes - Document/View framework (thanks to Simon Flack) - Mostly completed wxSt...

[wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.18
A new version of wxPerl, the Perl bindings to wxWindows, is out! You can download the sources from CPAN. Screenshots: http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/sshot01.html Binary packages for ActivePerl/Win32 6xx and 8xx builds, and Red Hat Linux are available along with documentation in HTML and MS HTML Help format from http://wxperl.sourceforge.net/download.html Changes since the last release: - Corrected handling of UTF-8 encoded strings in ANSI builds. - Added wxGridTableMessage. - Fixed build problems with GTK 2 and/or Unicode on Unix hosts. Regards Mattia ...

Web resources about - [wxperl-users] [ANNOUNCE] wxPerl 0.06 - perl.wxperl.users

O'Reilly Open Source Convention 2007 • July 23-27, 2007 • Portland, Oregon
O'Reilly Open Source Convention 2007 - July 23-27, 2007 - Portland, Oregon