To install or not to install?

What's the difference between installing qpsmtpd as in...=0A=0Aperl Makefil=
e.PL=0Amake=0Amake test=0Amake install=0Amake clean=0A=0A... or running it =
directly from /home/smtpd/qpsmtpd?=0A=0APresently I'm running ./qpsmtpd fro=
m xinetd, so the installed copy is probably wasted, right?=0A=0AIs there an=
y benefit/downside in running an installed copy, and how would I do that?=
=0A=0AHans=0A=0A=0A
0
salvisbe
12/30/2008 1:32:37 PM
perl.qpsmtpd 1907 articles. 0 followers. Follow

There is no benefit to installing. I've been running under xinetd for
a couple of years, directly from an svn checkout in /var/qpsmtpd. In
fact, I dont even make changes inside the checkout, I keep those in
/var/qplocal.

allan

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Hans Salvisberg <salvisbe@yahoo.de> wrote:
> What's the difference between installing qpsmtpd as in...
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
> make clean
>
> ... or running it directly from /home/smtpd/qpsmtpd?
>
> Presently I'm running ./qpsmtpd from xinetd, so the installed copy is probably wasted, right?
>
> Is there any benefit/downside in running an installed copy, and how would I do that?
>
> Hans

kitno455
12/30/2008 1:39:59 PM
On Tue, 2008-30-12 at 13:32 +0000, Hans Salvisberg wrote:
> What's the difference between installing qpsmtpd as in...
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install

Two problems:
 1. Scripts "use lib 'lib';" so you will need to modify them on install.
 2. The config directory will also be lost.

Makefile.PL [1] supports running things through a filter on install so
you can easily fix (1) -- except I'm not sure that how easy it is to
pass in the installed library location (I have an example but it makes
arbitrary code changes and does not use perl variables).

A third problem is that the default configuration probably does not do
anything useful for you.

I haven't been messing with qpsmtpd for the past year but when I get
back to it, what I'd like to look at is an interactive config/install
script.

There's also Build.PL [2] and Module::Install [3] but I don't think any
of the perl auto-builders solve this problem yet.

[1] I.e. ExtUtils::MakeMaker
[2] I.e. Module::Build, iirc.
[3] Not as widely used.

--
--gh

0
gwhulbert
12/30/2008 1:44:44 PM
On Tue, 2008-30-12 at 08:44 -0500, Guy Hulbert wrote:
>  1. Scripts "use lib 'lib';" so you will need to modify them on
> install.

Minor correction.

This is only a problem if you don't use the standard library paths or
you are paranoid (like me ;-).

Unless your libraries are at the beginning of @INC -- usually
under /usr/local/ then it is possible to break things and on debian, it
is possible for anyone in the 'staff' group to put things there.

So I find it useful to change:
	use lib 'lib';
	use lib '/my/lib/path';
on install, which prevents this.

--
--gh

0
gwhulbert

no install after installing jvm141
i have waited for a few days now to see if anyone would reply to my last response and got nothing so far so i figured i would repost everything in hopes that someone woudl be able to help me, please read below. ============================ In article , wrote: > i cant find the install opption on the GUI to install imanager. i just > updated to the newest jvm and the gui looks totally differnet, and the > start options all changed. any ideas? > What exact NetWare version are you using (including SP)? In theory, you should use the "install" option in ...

Occassional appearance of Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install
Since upgrading to 3.1.1 I am getting the occasional redirection to Install/Install.aspx?mode=Install.  Is anyone else recieving this or does this suggest the installation script didn't complete?Jonathan Palmer Check your web.config and see if install=true.... In a previous version this was happening to me until i turned it off. ...

Is there a Gzip installer that I could install ?
Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop interface .. is direct package installed that I could use opening it on files using the right click method from windows ? "open with" / "chosen freeware" = click ! -- Cypher7 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cypher7 wrote: > > Trying to make things easier I have a question about the linux desktop > interface The linux desktop interface can be a lot of things, KDE,GNOME, windowmaker to name but a few. > .. is direct packa...

Problem Installing Modules via install\module During DNN Install
I'm currently troubleshooting an install problem that is killing me since I do 3-5 installs of DNN per day.With v3.0.13 I had an 9 modules I placed in the install\module folder for automatic installation.  With v3.1 that number has increased to 25 (I'm not sure if the number has anything to do with it).When installing DNN v3.1, the install page lists all of the modules. EX:00:00:18.078 -   Installing Module File C:\hshome\jangles\bunstore.co.uk\Install\Module\Announcements_3.1.0.zip:00:00:19.218 -   Installing Module File C:\hshome\jangles\bunstore.co.uk\Install...

Install keeps failing : Cannot install windows installer 3.1
Hello,This is quite weird, whenever I try to install VS 2005 .net express, I get a failure right at the start of the installation process, the installer says : Could'nt install Windows installer 3.1 ....sigh, I'll never get this to work ..thanks Can you try to install Windows installer 3.1 from the Microsoft web site?http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=889482fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c   Let us know if that works? Thanks. -Bret...

Personal.install.comfig in the Install directory is missing in the Install zip file
Hello, I'm missing the Personal.install.config in the directory install in the zip file DotNetNuke_4.0.1_Install.zip. And also in the Source zip file. Yesterday i tryed to install the 4.0.1 over my 4.0.0 and the happened notting only that i had to restore the database and the backup of the site. Today i was trying to work with the Source and see the the Personal.install.config is missing as soon as i change the template to the default in web.config i was working. But don't get the Personal Website....

Install D2010 on side of D2009
I am installing D2010 from the iso image. But the setup complains that I should install Update 3 for D2009 before that. However, D2009 Check for Updates said that no updates were available, so I copied the setup packages from another D2009 installation and installed Update 3, 4, etc. And D2010 installation still fails to start, complaining that I should install Update 3 to D2009. How can I tell the installer that I DO have Update 3 for D2009? Jouni Aro Prosys I have the same problem. BDS 2009 is up to date with Version3, but Delphi 2010 will not install because it claim...

installation package error: "The installer was interrupted before [program] could be installed"
Hi,     I encountered one problem with my web application installation package. Before, it works well. While after some minor changes to code, I rebuild the setup file, when I tried to run it, I got such error.     I searched on web to find similar problems due to file <VS Install>\Common 7\tools\deployment\dpca.dll     My symptom is the same as described, I used the tool Qwerty.Msi to check errors, when debug, at sequence WEBCA_GatherWebSites 12:30:12 PM  Action start 12:30:12: WEBCA_GatherWebSites.12:30:15 PM  Action ended 12...

Creating custom installer to install .net framework and installer of another software
 hii m trying to create a custom installer which will install .net framework 2.0 and i have another installer  of a software that i also want to be installed on Install(System.Collections.IDictionary stateSaver) event. Is it possible with custom installer.or i need to use something else like setup Project/Web setup project.please help me out  Regardsnav  Hi nav, Based on my understanding, you want to install .NET Framework 2.0 and another installer with your setup project. If I have misunderstood you concern, please let me know. In my opinion, you need setup boot...

Anyway to re-install .net framework on a botched install that wont un-install?
  Newbie User (me) 64bit machine Win Server 2008 Beta 3 Data Center  64bit SharePoint Services 3.0 SharePoint Server Project Server SQL Express SQL Server   Ok so All I wanted to do was get a test bed up for Project Server ..   I installed SharePoint Services and Project Server.. it worked ..  the tech update feature had a minor error at the end so as a newbie I just figured I would install Share Point Server to fix it ..  etc   .. then it seemed like I had some missing features in Project Server so I installed the AS DC (Domain controler) ...

Installing VS2003 after VS2005 was installed ?!?!
I have been trying to get up to spead on VS2005 on my notebook, so with a clean install of Windows XP all patched up, I installed VS2005, the WAP "Add on" and converted a couple of Projects. All Success and learning curve aside, I have now found the need to have VS2003 runing on the notebook as well, I hestitently took the leap and installed VS2003. It installed fine and when I created a new Project and built, it all looked good, but then I relized that it looks as if the build settings from VS2005 are taking over ?!?!   I expected to see my folder and build show up in my Inetpub dire...

Errors installing SSL on Install
Hello, It seems that the problem I have seems to be with the CA being corrupt. I get the error creating W0 object, then a 251 error with PKI, when it is done it doesn't create the SSL keys. An outside vendor told me there was a procedure for fixing this problem. I was just wondering if I could get a copy e-mailed to me @ John.Hummer@wmtps.org instead of having a Novell Engineer on the phone for 4 hours. Thanx in advance for your help in this matter. John Hummer CNE West Milford BOE On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:18:18 GMT, John.Hummer@wmtps.org wrote: >It seems that the...

Installing NetStorage after NW6 was installed
I want to install NetStorage on one of our existing NW6sp5 servers and have a couple questions. 1. During the install the first screen for LDAP ports says the default ports (389 & 636) are in use and I need to change the ports for the LDAP services. I don't know of anything else running on this server so can I skip this and leave the ports as the default. 2. For the alternate server can I use any other server in our tree that has a replica? Thank you Jeff Check tcpcon to figure out what is listening to 389 and 636. When you install netstorage do you have any ...

Web resources about - To install or not to install? - perl.qpsmtpd

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Drives Installs of Star Wars Apps
... Wars: The Force Awakens in theaters on downloads of Star Wars-themed apps on iOS and Android. AppsFlyer analyzed over one million app installs ...

Vermont utility says it will be the first to install Tesla powerwalls in the US
... Power) Customers of Green Mountain Power (GMP) in Vermont will be the first in the US to have Tesla Powerwall stationary batteries installed ...

FSS ePub Reader silently installs adware?
... of a range of popular Windows freeware, including FSS Video Downloader, FSS Google Books Downloader, FSS ePub Reader and more. You’ve installed ...

11 3D Touch apps to install today
Apple’s 3D Touch is an important step forward in mobile user interfaces. If you use an iPhone 6S you see it in action when you press a name in ...

Install these battery-killing, storage-hogging apps at your own risk
[/caption] The latest quarterly report from antivirus company AVG has outed the battery-killingest, storage-hoggingest apps currently available. ...