The speed (improvement) of Rakudo

Hi,

Is there some measurements regarding the speed of Rakudo?

e.g. It would be nice to have a graph of some hand-picked operations
measured at different points in time of the development of Rakudo and
then graphed in a nice way. Is there anything like that?

Gabor
0
szabgab
6/17/2017 4:46:46 AM
perl.perl6.users 899 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--Sig_/KVkgqZYwN9zQ0UNw6Losta8

On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 07:46:46 +0300, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> Is there some measurements regarding the speed of Rakudo?

Mine are probably the longest record of speed measurements, but it is
just measuring one task (that uses a lot of operations). It is not
measuring all aspects of perl6

http://tux.nl/Talks/CSV6/speed4.html

And a comparison of that task to other languages

http://tux.nl/Talks/CSV6/speed5.html

And the explanation of what it shows

https://github.com/Tux/CSV/blob/master/README.speed

Is that what you were looking for?

> e.g. It would be nice to have a graph of some hand-picked operations
> measured at different points in time of the development of Rakudo and
> then graphed in a nice way. Is there anything like that?
>=20
> Gabor

--=20
using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE

--Sig_/KVkgqZYwN9zQ0UNw6Losta8

--Sig_/KVkgqZYwN9zQ0UNw6Losta8--
The first one is the closest to what I was hoping to see. Very
impressive. Thanks.

Gabor

On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 9:10 AM, H.Merijn Brand <h.m.brand@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jun 2017 07:46:46 +0300, Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there some measurements regarding the speed of Rakudo?
>
> Mine are probably the longest record of speed measurements, but it is
> just measuring one task (that uses a lot of operations). It is not
> measuring all aspects of perl6
>
> http://tux.nl/Talks/CSV6/speed4.html
>
> And a comparison of that task to other languages
>
> http://tux.nl/Talks/CSV6/speed5.html
>
> And the explanation of what it shows
>
> https://github.com/Tux/CSV/blob/master/README.speed
>
> Is that what you were looking for?
>
>> e.g. It would be nice to have a graph of some hand-picked operations
>> measured at different points in time of the development of Rakudo and
>> then graphed in a nice way. Is there anything like that?
>>
>> Gabor
>
> --
> H.Merijn Brand  http://tux.nl   Perl Monger  http://amsterdam.pm.org/
> using perl5.00307 .. 5.27   porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and openSUSE
> http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/        http://www.test-smoke.org/
> http://qa.perl.org   http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
0
szabgab
6/17/2017 6:18:38 AM
On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 23:47 Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there some measurements regarding the speed of Rakudo?

Perl 6 is still very slow on IO compared to Perl 5. I have a
read/write test suite I've been using since 2014 and it shows little
improvement so far (Perl 6 takes about 10-20 times as long as Perl 5
to read the same size ASCII file).  Jonathan is planning to work on
that aspect of Rakudo soon.

The test suite is at:

  https://github.com/tbrowder/perl6-read-write-tests

Best regards,

-Tom
0
tom
6/17/2017 11:12:14 AM
> On 17 Jun 2017, at 13:12, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 23:47 Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is there some measurements regarding the speed of Rakudo?
>=20
> Perl 6 is still very slow on IO compared to Perl 5. I have a
> read/write test suite I've been using since 2014 and it shows little
> improvement so far (Perl 6 takes about 10-20 times as long as Perl 5
> to read the same size ASCII file).  Jonathan is planning to work on
> that aspect of Rakudo soon.
>=20
> The test suite is at:
>=20
>  https://github.com/tbrowder/perl6-read-write-tests

AFAIK, Jonathan has already done extensive work on that the past days, =
but deemed it too =E2=80=98new=E2=80=99 to release for 2017.06 (due =
today).  So expect to see quite a bit of improvement for 2017.07, =
especially on UTF-8 encoded text files.

Liz=
0
liz