stackoverflow vs the world (and perl6-users)

Attention conservation:  it's unlikely I'm going to say something
interesting you haven't thought of already.

A side-discussion that came up here: should you ask questions here, or
at stackoverflow (or both here *and* at stackoverflow).

I understand the argument that it's better to talk about perl in
public where non-perl might see it (to help counter that "perl is
dead" impression that's floating around).  Getting more involved with
stackoverflow has been on my list for a long time... and yet I haven't
gotten to it.  Why not?

(1) The barrier at stackoverflow to a beginner is probably higher than
you think it is-- it's not at all obvious what you're allowed to do
and what you're not at the outset.

(2) Stackoverflow is centralized, I don't know really who's in control
of it (and early on I had the impression they were a bunch of
microsofties).  Email has the virtue of being federated-- or it would
be if we weren't all using gmail-- and if there's a web archive it's
also indexed.

(3) Stackoverflow may be "well indexed", but I haven't noticed this
being very helpful for perl6 where many things are huffmaned down
below the level where they can work as grep crumbs.  E.g. "does" vs.
"but" and perhaps worse "=" vs. ":=".

(4) I've seen some complaints about stackoverflow moderators that
seemed all-too-familiar-- power tripping for the sake of it.  They
seem to be a bit trigger-happy about shutting down interesting and
illuminating discussion ("this is all just matter of opinion!").
It's not at all unusual to do a web search on a question and end up at
a stackoverflow page that a moderator has marked as "Closed".

(5) I question how much it improves visibility to post perl6 material
at stackoverflow: there's so much stuff there very few people look at
the place as a whole: the only people likely to look at a perl6
discussion are the people who are already interested in perl6.
0
doomvox
6/12/2018 6:19:31 PM
perl.perl6.users 975 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Joseph Brenner <doomvox@gmail.com> wrote:
> Attention conservation:  it's unlikely I'm going to say something
> interesting you haven't thought of already.
>
> A side-discussion that came up here: should you ask questions here, or
> at stackoverflow (or both here *and* at stackoverflow).
>
> I understand the argument that it's better to talk about perl in
> public where non-perl might see it (to help counter that "perl is
> dead" impression that's floating around).  Getting more involved with
> stackoverflow has been on my list for a long time... and yet I haven't
> gotten to it.  Why not?
>
> (1) The barrier at stackoverflow to a beginner is probably higher than
> you think it is-- it's not at all obvious what you're allowed to do
> and what you're not at the outset.

The barrier is non-existent.

You don't have to even create an account to post on it.
(You should if you want to be able to edit or delete your posts after
your cookie expires.)

If you have code that you can't get to work the way you think it should,
it is the right place to ask. All other questions are off topic.

On the ask question page they have a list of the rules.
I think they may even have a mini tutorial for first-time users.

> (2) Stackoverflow is centralized, I don't know really who's in control
> of it (and early on I had the impression they were a bunch of
> microsofties).  Email has the virtue of being federated-- or it would
> be if we weren't all using gmail-- and if there's a web archive it's
> also indexed.

Stack Overflow is from Fog Creek Software.
See https://stackoverflow.com/company

They also regularly provide bulk downloads of all the publically available data.

> (3) Stackoverflow may be "well indexed", but I haven't noticed this
> being very helpful for perl6 where many things are huffmaned down
> below the level where they can work as grep crumbs.  E.g. "does" vs.
> "but" and perhaps worse "=" vs. ":=".

That is fair, but other languages have the same problem.
Since a lot of them use Stack Overflow, they know they can search
there instead.

> (4) I've seen some complaints about stackoverflow moderators that
> seemed all-too-familiar-- power tripping for the sake of it.  They
> seem to be a bit trigger-happy about shutting down interesting and
> illuminating discussion ("this is all just matter of opinion!").
> It's not at all unusual to do a web search on a question and end up at
> a stackoverflow page that a moderator has marked as "Closed".

Very few questions are closed by moderators.
The vast majority are voted to be closed by users.
In fact some moderators refuse to vote to close iffy questions,
because their vote counts as 5 regular users.

If you ask what is the best module for doing X, that is considered
to broad.
If you are having trouble using a particular module, then it is not.

If you ask a homework question, then it is too broad.
If you ask what is wrong with my homework it isn't.
(it may be closed anyway if enough users think it shouldn't be there)

The reasoning for this is to prevent it from becoming another
Yahoo! answers. (They have said this many times on the podcast)

Also note that you are still allowed to edit it to follow the rules.
If enough people agree that you have sufficiently fixed it, they
can vote to reopen it.

If it is sufficiently bad, users will vote to delete it.

Moderators are also elected. So if one of them abuses their
power they risk losing their moderator privileges.

The main purpose of moderators is to fix problems the regular
system doesn't work sufficiently for.
(Spam, bulk voting, sock puppet accounts, abusive speech,
joining accounts, etc)

Basically your remark about mods power tripping is baseless.
The only real problem is that some people don't like the rules.
(Even though most rules have been added by user demand.)

> (5) I question how much it improves visibility to post perl6 material
> at stackoverflow: there's so much stuff there very few people look at
> the place as a whole: the only people likely to look at a perl6
> discussion are the people who are already interested in perl6.

Stack Overflow puts out data about how many questions get asked
for each language. So by putting it there we influence their stats.

This is the main reason JJ keeps saying to post there.

---

Note that I have been following the development of StackOverflow
since before they had a private beta. (podcasts)

I'm user number 1337 by the way.
I may be the only Perl programmer to receive the Beta badge.
0
b2gills
6/12/2018 7:18:48 PM
--000000000000a27720056e76e359

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Joseph Brenner <doomvox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Attention conservation:  it's unlikely I'm going to say something
> > interesting you haven't thought of already.
> >
> > A side-discussion that came up here: should you ask questions here, or
> > at stackoverflow (or both here *and* at stackoverflow).
> >
> > I understand the argument that it's better to talk about perl in
> > public where non-perl might see it (to help counter that "perl is
> > dead" impression that's floating around).  Getting more involved with
> > stackoverflow has been on my list for a long time... and yet I haven't
> > gotten to it.  Why not?
> >
> > (1) The barrier at stackoverflow to a beginner is probably higher than
> > you think it is-- it's not at all obvious what you're allowed to do
> > and what you're not at the outset.
>
> The barrier is non-existent.

  Your failure of imagination does not make that barrier any less real.

Eirik

--000000000000a27720056e76e359

te">On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Brad Gilbert <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:b2gills@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">b2gills@gmail.com</a>&g=
t;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0=
 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D"">On Tue,=
 Jun 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Joseph Brenner &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:doomvox@gmai=
l.com">doomvox@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Attention conservation:=C2=A0 it&#39;s unlikely I&#39;m going to say s=
omething<br>
&gt; interesting you haven&#39;t thought of already.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; A side-discussion that came up here: should you ask questions here, or=
&gt; at stackoverflow (or both here *and* at stackoverflow).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I understand the argument that it&#39;s better to talk about perl in<b=
r>
&gt; public where non-perl might see it (to help counter that &quot;perl is=
&gt; dead&quot; impression that&#39;s floating around).=C2=A0 Getting more =
involved with<br>
&gt; stackoverflow has been on my list for a long time... and yet I haven&#=
39;t<br>
&gt; gotten to it.=C2=A0 Why not?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; (1) The barrier at stackoverflow to a beginner is probably higher than=
&gt; you think it is-- it&#39;s not at all obvious what you&#39;re allowed =
to do<br>
&gt; and what you&#39;re not at the outset.<br>

--000000000000a27720056e76e359--
0
sidhekin
6/12/2018 7:29:47 PM
On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:29 PM, The Sidhekin <sidhekin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 1:19 PM, Joseph Brenner <doomvox@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Attention conservation:  it's unlikely I'm going to say something
>> > interesting you haven't thought of already.
>> >
>> > A side-discussion that came up here: should you ask questions here, or
>> > at stackoverflow (or both here *and* at stackoverflow).
>> >
>> > I understand the argument that it's better to talk about perl in
>> > public where non-perl might see it (to help counter that "perl is
>> > dead" impression that's floating around).  Getting more involved with
>> > stackoverflow has been on my list for a long time... and yet I haven't
>> > gotten to it.  Why not?
>> >
>> > (1) The barrier at stackoverflow to a beginner is probably higher than
>> > you think it is-- it's not at all obvious what you're allowed to do
>> > and what you're not at the outset.
>>
>> The barrier is non-existent.
>

>   Your failure of imagination does not make that barrier any less real.

I have only ever heard about speculated and imagined barriers.

Note that even being blind shouldn't be a barrier, as they try hard
to make it accessible.

As long as you follow the rules, there isn't much of anything slowing you down.

Basically I don't think I need to imagine them because I have already
heard/read them.
0
b2gills
6/12/2018 7:37:08 PM
--0000000000006eaf49056e771156

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 3:38 PM Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The barrier is non-existent.
>
> I have only ever heard about speculated and imagined barriers.

This is not proof that such barriers don't exist. I hit the magic 20000
mark and lasted less than a week afterward because the rules suddenly
changed in a way that induced severe social anxiety. Again, this is not
something "fixable", not on my end.

You are not everyone. Don't assume what works for you necessarily works for
everyone. Or that there are quick and accessible workarounds for everyone.

allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.net

--0000000000006eaf49056e771156

, 2018 at 3:38 PM Brad Gilbert &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:b2gills@gmail.com">b2g=
yle=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">&gt; =
The barrier is non-existent.<br><br>
I have only ever heard about speculated and imagined barriers.<br></blockqu=
t exist. I hit the magic 20000 mark and lasted less than a week afterward b=
ecause the rules suddenly changed in a way that induced severe social anxie=
ty. Again, this is not something &quot;fixable&quot;, not on my end.</div><=
u necessarily works for everyone. Or that there are quick and accessible wo=
=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><d=
iv>brandon s allbery kf8nh =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=
 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 sine nomine associ=
ates</div><div><a href=3D"mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">all=
bery.b@gmail.com</a> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=
=3D"mailto:ballbery@sinenomine.net" target=3D"_blank">ballbery@sinenomine.n=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"http://sinenomine.net" target=3D"_blank">http:/=

--0000000000006eaf49056e771156--
0
allbery
6/12/2018 7:42:24 PM
--000000000000be9f64056e772ca8

As I said, all and any reason to not post in StackOverflow are valid. Just
add a few points here

El mar., 12 jun. 2018 a las 21:19, Brad Gilbert (<b2gills@gmail.com>)
escribi=C3=B3:

> Stack Overflow is from Fog Creek Software.
> See https://stackoverflow.com/company
>
> They also regularly provide bulk downloads of all the publically availabl=
> data.

They also have a query engine for that data, you can use it for free. It's
really amazing, and helps you see trends and associations.

> > (4) I've seen some complaints about stackoverflow moderators that
> > seemed all-too-familiar-- power tripping for the sake of it.  They
> > seem to be a bit trigger-happy about shutting down interesting and
> > illuminating discussion ("this is all just matter of opinion!").
> > It's not at all unusual to do a web search on a question and end up at
> > a stackoverflow page that a moderator has marked as "Closed".
>
> Very few questions are closed by moderators.

I don't know about that, but of course it can be checked using the
above-mentioned data query facility. But in the months I have been
following the tag, there's a single question that has been closed. It
didn't deserve it, in my opinion, and I did my best to try and keep it
open. In general, the community following the perl6 tag is as welcoming and
helpful as the perl6 community, in general.

> (5) I question how much it improves visibility to post perl6 material

> > at stackoverflow: there's so much stuff there very few people look at
> > the place as a whole: the only people likely to look at a perl6
> > discussion are the people who are already interested in perl6.
>
> Stack Overflow puts out data about how many questions get asked
> for each language. So by putting it there we influence their stats.

That's correct. And that goes also to the TIOBE rankings and somesuch. But
scaling those rankings is really, really, far away. I just want people to
find Perl6 questions easily, and for people in general who follow other,
related tags like regexes or unicode to see perl6 questions so that they
are interested in it.

JJ

--000000000000be9f64056e772ca8

iv dir=3D"ltr">El mar., 12 jun. 2018 a las 21:19, Brad Gilbert (&lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:b2gills@gmail.com">b2gills@gmail.com</a>&gt;) escribi=C3=B3:<br>=
eft:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Stack Overflow is from Fog Creek Softw=
are.<br>
See <a href=3D"https://stackoverflow.com/company" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">https://stackoverflow.com/company</a><br>
They also regularly provide bulk downloads of all the publically available =
data.<br>
 data, you can use it for free. It&#39;s really amazing, and helps you see =
il_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-lef=
t:1ex"><br>
&gt; (4) I&#39;ve seen some complaints about stackoverflow moderators that<=
br>
&gt; seemed all-too-familiar-- power tripping for the sake of it.=C2=A0 The=
y<br>
&gt; seem to be a bit trigger-happy about shutting down interesting and<br>
&gt; illuminating discussion (&quot;this is all just matter of opinion!&quo=
t;).<br>
&gt; It&#39;s not at all unusual to do a web search on a question and end u=
p at<br>
&gt; a stackoverflow page that a moderator has marked as &quot;Closed&quot;=
..<br>
e above-mentioned data query facility. But in the months I have been follow=
ing the tag, there&#39;s a single question that has been closed. It didn&#3=
9;t deserve it, in my opinion, and I did my best to try and keep it open. I=
n general, the community following the perl6 tag is as welcoming and helpfu=
ote">&gt; (5) I question how much it improves visibility to post perl6 mate=
rial<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border=
-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
&gt; at stackoverflow: there&#39;s so much stuff there very few people look=
 at<br>
&gt; the place as a whole: the only people likely to look at a perl6<br>
&gt; discussion are the people who are already interested in perl6.<br>
Stack Overflow puts out data about how many questions get asked<br>
for each language. So by putting it there we influence their stats.<br>
 to the TIOBE rankings and somesuch. But scaling those rankings is really, =
really, far away. I just want people to find Perl6 questions easily, and fo=
r people in general who follow other, related tags like regexes or unicode =

--000000000000be9f64056e772ca8--
0
jjmerelo
6/12/2018 7:50:03 PM
On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 2:42 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 3:38 PM Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The barrier is non-existent.
>>
>> I have only ever heard about speculated and imagined barriers.
>

> This is not proof that such barriers don't exist. I hit the magic 20000 m=
ark
> and lasted less than a week afterward because the rules suddenly changed =
in
> a way that induced severe social anxiety. Again, this is not something
> "fixable", not on my end.

The rules did not change.
It's just features that you didn't have before became available.
You are free to ignore them.

If you can't ignore them, you could try bringing it up on
meta.stackoverflow.com,
and maybe someone there could do something to improve it for you.

> You are not everyone. Don't assume what works for you necessarily works f=
or
> everyone. Or that there are quick and accessible workarounds for everyone=
..

The barrier is not with Stack Overflow. (=E2=86=90What I obviously meant)
The barrier is within you.

I should know I have some myself.

For example, I have never gotten a job by myself.
(Well there is the one time where they called on the phone, but I didn't
pick it up because I didn't recognize the number.)

I have also never been on a date as it gives me too much anxiety to ask.
(There was one gal that I was absolutely smitten with, who I
was also absolutely sure wanted me to ask her out, but was unable to.)

Should I say that the barrier is with women (incel), or with myself?

---

That's not to say there isn't something that other people could do to reduc=
the barrier. I don't think anybody can do that if they don't know it exists=
..

If you at least tell me what changes could help, I could bring it up on met=
a.
0
b2gills
6/12/2018 8:24:38 PM
--0000000000002508ed056e781e0b

I replied to this one in private, but I want to make a point in public as
well.

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:

> The barrier is not with Stack Overflow. (=E2=86=90What I obviously meant)
> The barrier is within you.

There's an insidious assumption hidden in here: that "the barrier is within
you" means it's a modifiable barrier. Or, for that matter, it should be.

For some of us, it's not. I was not overstating earlier when I made a
reference to the Nobel Prize.
And there are also those for whom it's not as modifiable as this attitude
assumes, or for whom modifying it is not the best of ideas.

Think about this one a bit next time you want to tell someone it's "all in
their head". Because it might just be literally true.

--=20
brandon s allbery kf8nh                               sine nomine associate=
allbery.b@gmail.com                                  ballbery@sinenomine.ne=
unix, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad        http://sinenomine.ne=

--0000000000002508ed056e781e0b

n Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Brad Gilbert &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:b2gills@g=
ail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-le=
ft:1ex">The barrier is not with Stack Overflow. (=E2=86=90What I obviously =
meant)<br>
an insidious assumption hidden in here: that &quot;the barrier is within yo=
u&quot; means it&#39;s a modifiable barrier. Or, for that matter, it should=
tating earlier when I made a reference to the Nobel Prize.</div><div>And th=
ere are also those for whom it&#39;s not as modifiable as this attitude ass=
v><div>Think about this one a bit next time you want to tell someone it&#39=
;s &quot;all in their head&quot;. Because it might just be literally true.<=
 data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>brandon s allbery=
 kf8nh =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 sine nomine associates</div><div><a =
href=3D"mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">allbery.b@gmail.com</=
a> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"mailto:ballbery@=
x, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure, xmonad =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a =
href=3D"http://sinenomine.net" target=3D"_blank">http://sinenomine.net</a><=

--0000000000002508ed056e781e0b--
0
allbery
6/12/2018 8:57:33 PM
On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrot=
e:
> I replied to this one in private, but I want to make a point in public as
> well.
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The barrier is not with Stack Overflow. (=E2=86=90What I obviously meant=
)
>> The barrier is within you.
>

> There's an insidious assumption hidden in here: that "the barrier is with=
in
> you" means it's a modifiable barrier. Or, for that matter, it should be.
>
> For some of us, it's not. I was not overstating earlier when I made a
> reference to the Nobel Prize.
> And there are also those for whom it's not as modifiable as this attitude
> assumes, or for whom modifying it is not the best of ideas.
>
> Think about this one a bit next time you want to tell someone it's "all i=
> their head". Because it might just be literally true.

I absolutely knew it was literally true.

I then proceeded to point out the same in my own life.

I did not intend to imply that it was easy to deal with.

(Note for others reading this there have been messages off list about this)
0
b2gills
6/12/2018 9:44:27 PM
Here's my experience: when I'm learning a new language or software, eg.,
php or css or recently GRAV CMS, and I have a problem, my first action
is google: <lang> <keywords> . I'm sure everyone does something like this.

Whenever I see a response that includes Stackoverflow, I look there
first because for over a year now I have found that the answers given
there provide me either a complete solution that I can cut and paste, or
enough clues to work out what I need.

Some new software, such as GRAV, do not produce Stackoverflow responses,
so I have to go to the forum and dig through stuff. But at least it is
indexed.

With Perl6, the first place I go is the documentation, which has always
been good and is getting better.

However, there are some practical questions that have been answered in
this list with really very good explanations, not just about the
problem, but also why. For a language, the 'why' can often be more
important.

Stackoverflow is - I think - a great resource (I grant there are the
normal human problems, but what human system is perfect?) because it
provides answers.

I can therefore see why there is a drive by some to get Perl6 Q&A on
Stackoverflow.

However, the portal to Stackoverflow is (for me) Google. And Google
indexes much much more than Stackoverflow.

Some of the Q&A asked on this list are not indexed in a way that would
bring them to the notice of someone looking for a similar question.

So the real question for me is not 'where to ask questions so that
people can see them?', but 'how to make Perl6 questions indexable?'.

Richard

aka finanalyst

On 13/06/18 05:44, Brad Gilbert wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I replied to this one in private, but I want to make a point in public as
>> well.
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 4:24 PM Brad Gilbert <b2gills@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> The barrier is not with Stack Overflow. (←What I obviously meant)
>>> The barrier is within you.
>>
>> There's an insidious assumption hidden in here: that "the barrier is within
>> you" means it's a modifiable barrier. Or, for that matter, it should be.
>>
>> For some of us, it's not. I was not overstating earlier when I made a
>> reference to the Nobel Prize.
>> And there are also those for whom it's not as modifiable as this attitude
>> assumes, or for whom modifying it is not the best of ideas.
>>
>> Think about this one a bit next time you want to tell someone it's "all in
>> their head". Because it might just be literally true.
>>
> I absolutely knew it was literally true.
>
> I then proceeded to point out the same in my own life.
>
> I did not intend to imply that it was easy to deal with.
>
> (Note for others reading this there have been messages off list about this)
0
rnhainsworth