documentation translation effort ?

hello people,

i just read this https://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-perl-5-30-0 in which
the informations about perl6 are wrong. it points to
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakudo_Perl which is wrong too and i was
thinking that instead of writting wrong stuff on wrong sites, it would
be nice to have a recap of the raku ecosystem (even the historical
parts) directly in the perl6 site. but in french :)

my broken english disqualify me to write the article itself but i
obviously can translate it. which leads me to the translation effort:

what if i want to translate the raku documentation? is there an official
workflow? my own would be to get the hash of each file to be translated
and start to translate it in another repo.

regards,
marc
0
eiro
7/9/2019 9:25:36 AM
perl.perl6.users 1218 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--000000000000760ca3058d44e89b

Hi Marc,

the French Wikipedia page you refer to is not really wrong, but rather
terribly outdated and, therefore, no longer correct. I have a Wikipedia
account and can easily fix that page (using, if needed, the updated English
Wikipedia page on the same subject).

Translating the whole Perl 6/Raku documentation is a totally different
game. It's just too big (and it's a moving target), I won't undertake that.

Best,
Laurent.

Le mar. 9 juil. 2019 =C3=A0 11:25, Marc Chantreux <eiro@phear.org> a =C3=A9=
crit :

> hello people,
>
> i just read this https://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-perl-5-30-0 in which
> the informations about perl6 are wrong. it points to
> https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakudo_Perl which is wrong too and i was
> thinking that instead of writting wrong stuff on wrong sites, it would
> be nice to have a recap of the raku ecosystem (even the historical
> parts) directly in the perl6 site. but in french :)
>
> my broken english disqualify me to write the article itself but i
> obviously can translate it. which leads me to the translation effort:
>
> what if i want to translate the raku documentation? is there an official
> workflow? my own would be to get the hash of each file to be translated
> and start to translate it in another repo.
>
> regards,
> marc

--000000000000760ca3058d44e89b

a page you refer to is not really wrong, but rather terribly outdated and, =
therefore, no longer correct. I have a Wikipedia account and can easily fix=
 that page (using, if needed, the updated English Wikipedia page on the sam=
mentation is a totally different game. It&#39;s just too big (and it&#39;s =
class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">Le=C2=A0mar. 9 =
juil. 2019 =C3=A0=C2=A011:25, Marc Chantreux &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:eiro@phe=
ar.org" target=3D"_blank">eiro@phear.org</a>&gt; a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">hello people,<br>
i just read this <a href=3D"https://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-perl-5-30-0"=
 rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-pe=
rl-5-30-0</a> in which<br>
the informations about perl6 are wrong. it points to<br>
rget=3D"_blank">https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakudo_Perl</a> which is wron=
g too and i was<br>
thinking that instead of writting wrong stuff on wrong sites, it would<br>
be nice to have a recap of the raku ecosystem (even the historical<br>
parts) directly in the perl6 site. but in french :)<br>
my broken english disqualify me to write the article itself but i<br>
obviously can translate it. which leads me to the translation effort:<br>
what if i want to translate the raku documentation? is there an official<br=

workflow? my own would be to get the hash of each file to be translated<br>
and start to translate it in another repo.<br>
regards,<br>
marc<br>

--000000000000760ca3058d44e89b--
0
perl6
7/9/2019 7:52:50 PM
--00000000000062568d058d45a1cd

There have been some efforts to translate perl6intro; but as Laurent says,
we can hardly say the documentation is complete, so diverting resources to
translation is probably not such a good idea.

El mar., 9 jul. 2019 a las 21:53, Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users (<
perl6-users@perl.org>) escribi=C3=B3:

> Hi Marc,
>
> the French Wikipedia page you refer to is not really wrong, but rather
> terribly outdated and, therefore, no longer correct. I have a Wikipedia
> account and can easily fix that page (using, if needed, the updated Engli=
sh
> Wikipedia page on the same subject).
>
> Translating the whole Perl 6/Raku documentation is a totally different
> game. It's just too big (and it's a moving target), I won't undertake tha=
t.

> Best,
> Laurent.
>

> Le mar. 9 juil. 2019 =C3=A0 11:25, Marc Chantreux <eiro@phear.org> a =C3=
=A9crit :

>> hello people,
>>
>> i just read this https://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-perl-5-30-0 in which
>> the informations about perl6 are wrong. it points to
>> https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakudo_Perl which is wrong too and i was
>> thinking that instead of writting wrong stuff on wrong sites, it would
>> be nice to have a recap of the raku ecosystem (even the historical
>> parts) directly in the perl6 site. but in french :)
>>
>> my broken english disqualify me to write the article itself but i
>> obviously can translate it. which leads me to the translation effort:
>>
>> what if i want to translate the raku documentation? is there an official
>> workflow? my own would be to get the hash of each file to be translated
>> and start to translate it in another repo.
>>
>> regards,
>> marc

--=20
JJ

--00000000000062568d058d45a1cd

as Laurent says, we can hardly say the documentation is complete, so divert=
ing resources to translation is probably not such a good idea. <br></div><b=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">El mar.,=
 9 jul. 2019 a las 21:53, Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users (&lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:perl6-users@perl.org">perl6-users@perl.org</a>&gt;) escribi=C3=B3:<=
br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8e=
x;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 to is not really wrong, but rather terribly outdated and, therefore, no lo=
nger correct. I have a Wikipedia account and can easily fix that page (usin=
g, if needed, the updated English Wikipedia page on the same subject).</div=
otally different game. It&#39;s just too big (and it&#39;s a moving target)=
[...]
mail_signature">JJ</div>

--00000000000062568d058d45a1cd--
0
jjmerelo
7/9/2019 8:44:31 PM
hello Laurent,

> the French Wikipedia page you refer to is not really wrong, but rather
> terribly outdated and, therefore, no longer correct. I have a Wikipedia
> account and can easily fix that page (using, if needed, the updated English
> Wikipedia page on the same subject).

The very first sentence state that rakudo is a compiler which, AFAIR,
never was the case. i really want to double check other assertions of
the article (for example: i don't think rakudo was developped as a part
of the parrot project. instead, rakudo tried to target the parrot vm).

> Translating the whole Perl 6/Raku documentation is a totally different
> game. It's just too big (and it's a moving target), I won't undertake that.

Having the official documentation translated could be a really good
thing for the perl6 adoption in France so i think we have to think about
it at some point. However, you're right when you say it's a moving
target and it will slow down at some point. So maybe it's too early
to start a translation project?

regards
marc
0
eiro
7/9/2019 9:09:14 PM
hello,

> There have been some efforts to translate perl6intro; but as Laurent says,
> we can hardly say the documentation is complete, so diverting resources to
> translation is probably not such a good idea.

yeah. when laurent spoke about a moving target, i gave a look at the doc
repo and there almost everything moved in the last months. this is
impressive.

so i agreed with both of you: definitely not a good idea for the moment.

regards
marc
0
eiro
7/9/2019 9:12:10 PM
--000000000000846212058d463edf

I have updated the Wikipedia page linked in Marc's message. @Marc: please
check it and let me know if you see any remaining issues.

@JJMerelo: I have devoted a lot of efforts translating various P6
documentation into French over the last 5 years or so, including
perl6intro, and probably 250 to 300 additional pages of tutorials and other
public documentation. So, I certainly don't think that this is a waste of
resources. But I fully agree that undertaking to translate the full
official documentation would be a too big project diverting resources from
other useful projects.

Cheers,
Laurent.

Le mar. 9 juil. 2019 =C3=A0 22:44, JJ Merelo <jjmerelo@gmail.com> a =C3=A9c=
rit :

> There have been some efforts to translate perl6intro; but as Laurent says=
,
> we can hardly say the documentation is complete, so diverting resources t=
> translation is probably not such a good idea.
>
> El mar., 9 jul. 2019 a las 21:53, Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users (<
> perl6-users@perl.org>) escribi=C3=B3:
>
>> Hi Marc,
>>
>> the French Wikipedia page you refer to is not really wrong, but rather
>> terribly outdated and, therefore, no longer correct. I have a Wikipedia
>> account and can easily fix that page (using, if needed, the updated Engl=
ish
>> Wikipedia page on the same subject).
>>
>> Translating the whole Perl 6/Raku documentation is a totally different
>> game. It's just too big (and it's a moving target), I won't undertake th=
at.

>> Best,
>> Laurent.
>>

>> Le mar. 9 juil. 2019 =C3=A0 11:25, Marc Chantreux <eiro@phear.org> a =C3=
=A9crit :

>>> hello people,
>>>
>>> i just read this https://linuxfr.org/news/sortie-de-perl-5-30-0 in whic=
>>> the informations about perl6 are wrong. it points to
>>> https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakudo_Perl which is wrong too and i was
>>> thinking that instead of writting wrong stuff on wrong sites, it would
>>> be nice to have a recap of the raku ecosystem (even the historical
>>> parts) directly in the perl6 site. but in french :)
>>>
>>> my broken english disqualify me to write the article itself but i
>>> obviously can translate it. which leads me to the translation effort:
>>>
>>> what if i want to translate the raku documentation? is there an officia=
>>> workflow? my own would be to get the hash of each file to be translated
>>> and start to translate it in another repo.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> marc
>>>

> --
> JJ

--000000000000846212058d463edf

s message. @Marc: please check it and let me know if you see any remaining =
 translating various P6 documentation into French over the last 5 years or =
so, including perl6intro, and probably 250 to 300 additional pages of tutor=
ials and other public documentation. So, I certainly don&#39;t think that t=
his is a waste of resources. But I fully agree that undertaking to translat=
e the full official documentation would be a too big project diverting reso=
r=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">Le=C2=A0mar. 9 juil. 2019 =C3=A0=C2=A022:44,=
 JJ Merelo &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jjmerelo@gmail.com">jjmerelo@gmail.com</a>=
&gt; a =C3=A9crit=C2=A0:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=
=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding=
-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">There have been some efforts to translate perl6=
;<a href=3D"mailto:perl6-users@perl.org" target=3D"_blank">perl6-users@perl=
le=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);paddi=
ench Wikipedia page you refer to is not really wrong, but rather terribly o=
utdated and, therefore, no longer correct. I have a Wikipedia account and c=
an easily fix that page (using, if needed, the updated English Wikipedia pa=
l 6/Raku documentation is a totally different game. It&#39;s just too big (=
[...]
mail-m_-7569858985973613393gmail_signature">JJ</div>

--000000000000846212058d463edf--
0
perl6
7/9/2019 9:28:29 PM
hello,

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 11:28:29PM +0200, Laurent Rosenfeld via perl6-users wrote:
> I have updated the Wikipedia page linked in Marc's message. @Marc: please
> check it and let me know if you see any remaining issues.

reading the fix, i realized i mixed up the errors of the linuxfr page
and the wikipedia ones: of course, rakudo *is* the compiler targeting
moarvm and jvm and written in NQP. for the rest: i'll take a look and
fix the page if needed (i also have a wikipedia account).

regards
marc
0
eiro