comment on the new name change

Hi All,

I personally do not care if we call Perl 6 "The Flying
Zucchini".

But what I really like is that I can now to a web search
on "raku" and not get 3,264,682,533 hits on Perl 5
that I have to frustratingly sort through to find what
I want.

So I am a happy camper with the new name.

Just out of curiosity, was this the intention
of the new name?

https://www.thoughtco.com/raku-meaning-and-characters-2028515

     The Japanese word raku, pronounced "rah-koo", is a
     commonly-used word that means comfort, ease, or
     relief.

Having used several other programming languages in
my lifetime, if this was the intention, I do have to
say the name fits

:-)

-T
0
perl6
12/6/2019 8:04:35 AM
perl.perl6.users 1384 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--000000000000a283bf05990a45d9

History lesson:

Rakudo is short for Rakuda Do

Rakuda Do is supposed to have meant "the way of the camel"

The first book about Perl was Learning Perl. It had a Camel on the front
cover.
(Note also that the name of the butterfly logo is named Camelia, and that
the first 5 characters spell Camel.)

Rakudo means Paradise.

So there are two reasons Rakudo was chosen for the name of the compiler.

Raku is of course the first 4 letters of Rakudo.

Raku means comfort, ease, or relief.

Raku is also a form of pottery.
(This seems like it might be a coincidence, but knowing Larry it may be
intentional.)

The design of the Raku language is so cohesive that even the new name has
more than one reason it was chosen.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:12 AM ToddAndMargo via perl6-users <
perl6-users@perl.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I personally do not care if we call Perl 6 "The Flying
> Zucchini".
>
> But what I really like is that I can now to a web search
> on "raku" and not get 3,264,682,533 hits on Perl 5
> that I have to frustratingly sort through to find what
> I want.
>
> So I am a happy camper with the new name.
>
> Just out of curiosity, was this the intention
> of the new name?
>
> https://www.thoughtco.com/raku-meaning-and-characters-2028515
>
>      The Japanese word raku, pronounced "rah-koo", is a
>      commonly-used word that means comfort, ease, or
>      relief.
>
> Having used several other programming languages in
> my lifetime, if this was the intention, I do have to
> say the name fits
>
> :-)
>
> -T

--000000000000a283bf05990a45d9

l was Learning Perl. It had a Camel on the front cover.</div><div>(Note als=
o that the name of the butterfly logo is named Camelia, and that the first =
>(This seems like it might be a coincidence, but knowing Larry it may be in=
cohesive that even the new name has more than one reason it was chosen.</di=
">On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 2:12 AM ToddAndMargo via perl6-users &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:perl6-users@perl.org">perl6-users@perl.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hi All,<br>
I personally do not care if we call Perl 6 &quot;The Flying<br>
Zucchini&quot;.<br>
But what I really like is that I can now to a web search<br>
on &quot;raku&quot; and not get 3,264,682,533 hits on Perl 5<br>
that I have to frustratingly sort through to find what<br>
I want.<br>
So I am a happy camper with the new name.<br>
Just out of curiosity, was this the intention<br>
of the new name?<br>
el=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">https://www.thoughtco.com/raku-meaning-=
and-characters-2028515</a><br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0The Japanese word raku, pronounced &quot;rah-koo&quot;,=
 is a<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0commonly-used word that means comfort, ease, or<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0relief.<br>
Having used several other programming languages in<br>
my lifetime, if this was the intention, I do have to<br>
say the name fits<br>
:-)<br>
-T<br>

--000000000000a283bf05990a45d9--
0
b2gills
12/6/2019 2:57:49 PM
Should users of Raku be termed "Rakuuns"? :-)*
0
1parrota
12/6/2019 5:55:02 PM
On 2019-12-06 09:55, Parrot Raiser wrote:
> Should users of Raku be termed "Rakuuns"? :-)*

Hysterical!
0
perl6