Getting Started - What to try?

I've installed the Win32 build of Pugs, but is appears to be incomplete.  How do I get the "real thing"?  I've also heard that Pugs is in stasis, so is this still a good way to write stuff and learn today?

Likewise, how do I get synched up with the Parrot implementation?  I understand the most official grammar is being developed there.  Is there a grammar-checker tool that will help me to validate proposed Perl 6 code fragments, even if I can't execute it yet?

In general, what are the various repositories and version-control systems used?  What ought I install and get working to join up with the Perl 6 community?

--John
0
dhcgnd702
3/30/2008 10:37:07 AM
perl.perl6.language 6835 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--------------enig81D71F2D1ACA0929A18DDB86

John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> I've installed the Win32 build of Pugs, but is appears to be incomplete=
=2E  How do I get the "real thing"?  I've also heard that Pugs is in stas=
is, so is this still a good way to write stuff and learn today?

There is no "real thing" yet, which is why we're working on it ;-)

> Likewise, how do I get synched up with the Parrot implementation?=20

svn co https://svn.perl.org/parrot/trunk parrot
cd parrot
perl Makefile.PL && make
cd src/languages/
make

then you can fire up
=2E./../parrot perl6.pbc

and start playing.

> I understand the most official grammar is being developed there.

Not quite. The "official" grammar is in the pugs repo in src/perl6/, but
it can't really run on anything yet.

> Is there a grammar-checker tool that will help me to validate proposed =
Perl 6 code fragments, even if I can't execute it yet?

Not yet, but we hope to build one soon.

>=20
> In general, what are the various repositories and version-control syste=
ms used?  What ought I install and get working to join up with the Perl 6=
 community?

Both parrot and pugs use subversion aka svn.
The parrot repo contains parrot, rakudo (perl6 on parrot) and various
other languages, the pugs repo contains pugs, STD.pm (the grammar), some
of synopsis (in docs/Perl6/Spec/), kp6 (in v6/v6-KindaPerl6), smop (in
v6/smop/) and various other stuff.

Cheers,
Moritz

--=20
Moritz Lenz
http://moritz.faui2k3.org/ |  http://perl-6.de/

--------------enig81D71F2D1ACA0929A18DDB86

--------------enig81D71F2D1ACA0929A18DDB86--
0
moritz
3/31/2008 8:23:45 AM
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 10:23:45AM +0200, Moritz Lenz wrote:
> John M. Dlugosz wrote:
> > I understand the most official grammar is being developed there.
>
> Not quite. The "official" grammar is in the pugs repo in src/perl6/, but
> it can't really run on anything yet.

This is correct -- the "official" grammar (STD.pm) is in pugs.
However, Rakudo's grammar follows STD.pm as closely as it can and
is reasonably close for most things.  We'd definitely be interested
to know about any places it's falling short.

> > Is there a grammar-checker tool that will help me to validate
> > proposed Perl 6 code fragments, even if I can't execute it yet?
>
> Not yet, but we hope to build one soon.

OTOH, Rakudo can be used to check syntax (at least as much as
it knows about) by using the --target=parse option.

    $ parrot perl6.pbc --target=parse [file]

And we'd be really happy to try out any code fragments you may
have and see if we can get them to parse and execute.  We like
it when we can get something new to work.  :-)  For example,
the infix // operator and @*ARGS were added to Rakudo in direct
response to Aaron Trevena wanting to get the Towers of Hanoi
example [1] running.

Specific questions or problems with Rakudo should probably
go to perl6-compiler@perl.org, or find a Rakudo developer on
#parrot or #perl6.  And bug reports can be filed at
<rakudobug@perl.org>.

Thanks!

Pm

[1]  http://www.perlfoundation.org/perl6/index.cgi?tower_of_hanoi
0
pmichaud

trying to get started and i am getting this error
when i go to http://www.porkchopsplayground.com, i get: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database. Could not find file 'd:\hosting\nmoran26\Providers\DataProviders\AccessDataProvider\DotNetNuke.mdb'. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks, Nicole Do you have a username and password set on your database? Make sure you follow the steps mentionned in the Readme.txt located in the documentation folder. In any case make sure your credentials for yo...

new lists: perl6-language-flow, perl6-language-io and perl6-language-unlink
WORKING GROUP: perl6-language-flow CHAIR: uri guttman <uri@sysarch.com> MISSION: Draft, discuss, and revise RFCs relating to flow control in Perl 6, eg switch/case, looping, etc. Suggest/request other flowcontrol-related lists if appropriate DEADLINE: 3 weeks, extensible on request (end 26th August?) DESCRIPTION: Submit flowcontrol-related RFCs to the Perl 6 librarian as they are developed. WORKING GROUP: perl6-language-unlink CHAIR: Nathan Wiger <nate@wiger.org> MISSION: Discuss and re...

[perl6/specs] a69cc7: Start trying to make S11 a little saner; this gets...
Branch: refs/heads/master Home: https://github.com/perl6/specs Commit: a69cc7b20d7609d2e9ddf5861ea47a429ece212c https://github.com/perl6/specs/commit/a69cc7b20d7609d2e9ddf5861ea47a429ece212c Author: Jonathan Worthington <jnthn@jnthn.net> Date: 2011-08-13 (Sat, 13 Aug 2011) Changed paths: M S11-modules.pod Log Message: ----------- Start trying to make S11 a little saner; this gets us to a point where C<import> could feasibly work again. ...

Trying to get started
this isnt related directly to ASP but mroe to the Visual Studio environment. I am just learning how to use it. I am trying to start a new .net web application project and I am getting this error when before I can even start developing "Automation server cannot create object" Can anyone tell me what Im doing wrong?Matt Andrews When exactly does this occur? After you give your project a name and click OK? What type of project are you trying to create?...

Which languages to get started?
Hi. I am almost too new to even rate as a newbie, and am in the enviable position of being so new that I can choose where to start and what to learn. I had planned to learn some introductory Visual Basic, then a crash self-read/teach course in VB.NET and ASP.NET, then on to VS.NET. I am developing my first website with Dreamweaver that will have a fairly sophisticated .NET shopping cart (purchased) and all my future programming interests relate to web applications. The question comes as to what to do about JavaScript. I notice there is a conversion kit that converts to C#, but not to V...

Newbie trying to get started
Can anyone point me to some good documentation on this?  I have no idea how to use this and playing around with it has had limited success.I added a new, Crystal Report file, used the Expert to set it up to print address labels.  I used the Main Report Preview to look at what I had, and it's fine to start with.  Then I added a new aspx page, dropped a crystal report viewer on it, and set the CrystalReportSource to the rpt file I had created.  When I run it, I get Load report Failed error.  I have no clue what to do next.Diane ...

Trying to get started in ASP
I am attempting to get started on my first ASP program.......but I can't even get to the IDE. Apparently there is some trouble is my IIS program. I have IIS installed so it can work with VB.net however the service doesn't start up when the computer starts. So I try to manually start the service and I get the following error. Could not start the IIS Admin Service service on Local Computer Error 193 %1 is not a valid Win32 application. Any ideas? I am using IIS 5.0 in a Windows 2000 environment. ...

Trying to get started with AJAX
Hi, I'm trying to handle DB connections through AJAX. I watched the AJAX implementation video on this site but looks like when I click a button to request data, my page is still making that trip to the server -- or I should say refreshing. I Here's the scenario: I have three GridViews sitting side by side in a user control. First GridView is used to populate the second one and the second one is used to populate the third one. The first GridView has a button control in a template field. When user clicks the button, the second GridView gets populated which requir...

trying to get started with tiOPF and FBLib
I am trying to get started with tiOPF and FBLib in D7. Ran into a problem which the tiOPF source suggests can be solved by using a modified copy of FBLib from a folder which does not exist. If anyone here has been through this, and can give me a hand, I would appreciate it. I've tried dropping a note on the tiOPF newsgroups, but the traffic there seems to be days between responses. Bill Hi Bill, The tiOPF group has moved from our news server to a SourceForge's mailing list: https://lists.sourceforge.net/mailman/listinfo/tiopf-talk Tks, Peter. > {quote:ti...

list changes: perl6-language-objects added, perl6-language-unlink closed
Subscribe by sending mail to perl6-language-objects-subscribe@perl.org. More details at http://dev.perl.org/lists.shtml LIST: perl6-language-objects CHAIR: Nathan Wiger <nate@west.sun.com> MISSION: Develop RFCs related to objects and OO programming in Perl, possibly rationalising existing RFCs where they cover the same ground. DEADLINE: As long as it takes. Report fortnightly (first report August 29th). - ask -- ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/> more than 70...

Trying to get started with ASP.Net
Hey there, I'm as new as it gets with regards to this to I'll try and be as concise as possible. I'm getting into ASP.Net and have run into a problem. I'm running Windows XP Professional and have installed the IIS 5.1 windows component. I've also updated my Windows XP with all required and optional software updates from the Windows Update website, giving me various versions of Microsoft .NET (1.1, 1.1 Hotfix, 2.0 and 3.0) shown in my Add/Remove Programs window in the Control Panel. Now after typing http://localhost into my web browser (IE 7) I receive a login screen which...

Web resources about - Getting Started - What to try? - perl.perl6.language

Jeremy Corbyn says reshuffle dragged on because he allowed people to talk for too long
The Labour leader said Westminster was "full of people who speak at great length" and that his "great failing in life" is to listen to everybody ...

Sia Soars in New Track ‘Reaper’, Co-Written by Kanye and Rejected by Rihanna – LISTEN
Sia has debuted another track off her latest album, This Is Acting . “Reaper”, co-written and produced by Kanye West, was originally intended ...

Alabama Probate Judge Faces Conflicting Commands In Same-Sex Marriage Cases
A federal judge refuses to put an order striking down the state's ban on same-sex marriages on hold. Mobile County Probate Judge Don Davis now ...

iHeartMedia And Universal Join Forces To Bring Concerts In Virtual Reality
Virtual reality is really the next best thing to experiencing something if you weren’t physically present there, we all know how hard it can ...

Costume Designers Guild Nominations: ‘Star Wars’, ‘Cinderella’, ‘Carol’ Make Cut
The Costume Designers Guild has unveiled nominations for its 18th annual CDG Awards , with finalists announced in contemporary, period and fantasy ...

Colbert On Obama’s Gun Control Executive Order: “Fiery Hailstorm Of Gentle Reminders”
President Obama ’s “balls to the wall” executive order on gun control is something, even if it does nothing, Stephen Colbert insisted on CBS’s ...

Libya truck bomb kills 60 police in Zliten
CBS News Libya truck bomb kills 60 police in Zliten CBS News TRIPOLI, Libya A massive truck bomb exploded near a police base in the western ...

Anti-Gay Activists Rally Behind Roy Moore, Who Touts 'States' Rights'
Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore is winning plaudits from Religious Right groups after he issued an administrative order directing probate judges ...

Bland family: Perjury indictment falls short of justice for Sandra
Chicago Sun-Times Bland family: Perjury indictment falls short of justice for Sandra Chicago Sun-Times Sharon Cooper, sister of Sandra Bland, ...

‘Minecraft: Pocket Edition 2’ A Brazen Scam On App Store That Demands Removal
Apple iPhone and iPad users who are fans of Minecraft should be aware of one of the most brazen scams seen yet on the App Store. A shady app ...