dLoo releases peer-to-peer programming language

From newsforge:

nile writes, "Today, dLoo released the complete architecture of an
extensible peer-to-peer programming language. Unlike traditional languages,
this language is defined on the Internet. Its syntax and semantics can be
extended by posting additional pieces of the language. As developers add to
the language it scales in richness and functionality. Programs run in a
software browser called BlueBox which dynamically downloads and assembles
the parts of the language as needed. For more information and access to the
source visit http://www.dloo.org. BlueBox is a community driven project
released under the GPL."
http://www.dloo.org/

0
gnat
7/11/2001 4:16:48 PM
perl.perl6.language 6835 articles. 0 followers. Follow

At 10:16 AM 7/11/2001 -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:
>nile writes, "Today, dLoo released the complete architecture of an
>extensible peer-to-peer programming language."

And I thought NFS was the security hole from hell...

Unless there's a lot of very clever (research-level, "Hi we're from IBM's
Watson Labs, would you like a very highly-paid job" level) stuff going on
under the hood that is completely and totally glossed over in all the PR
gook, this system is slightly less secure than putting your IP address and
root password in big letters in a 30-second Superbowl commercial.

(Though I may be wrong--it's possible I'm underestimating the danger)

					Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk

0
dan
7/11/2001 4:59:51 PM
> At 10:16 AM 7/11/2001 -0600, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> >nile writes, "Today, dLoo released the complete architecture of an
> >extensible peer-to-peer programming language."
>
> And I thought NFS was the security hole from hell...
>
> Unless there's a lot of very clever (research-level, "Hi we're from IBM's
> Watson Labs, would you like a very highly-paid job" level) stuff going on
> under the hood that is completely and totally glossed over in all the PR
> gook, this system is slightly less secure than putting your IP address and
> root password in big letters in a 30-second Superbowl commercial.
>
> (Though I may be wrong--it's possible I'm underestimating the danger)

We must  learn from java that initially failed to be sold  as the language
for embedded devices and was integrated
as a browser (and in a browser) as an afterthought with an incredible success.
But security was built-in from the start because
these embedded devices were intended to be connected possibly on an insecure network: Internet.
The lesson to be drawn is consistent with Dan sayings: it is  an excellent way to spread a product as a browser or better as a
plug-in  but the security model must be thought ab initio. Sun and Gosling have learnt that, among many other things,
with their unsuccessful and long-defunct  Network extensible Windows system: NeWS.
Absence of security model is  alsso probably the reason  why perl did not trhive
in this biotop (the browsers themselves , not the servers who feeded the browsers).
The module Safe is nice though but that is an afterthought . As a result it could not be made  totally secure.

--
  stef

> Dan
>
> --------------------------------------"it's like this"-------------------
> Dan Sugalski                          even samurai
> dan@sidhe.org                         have teddy bears and even
>                                       teddy bears get drunk

> > The lesson to be drawn is consistent with Dan sayings: it is  an excellent way to spread a product as a browser or better as a
> > plug-in  but the security model must be thought ab initio. Sun and Gosling have learnt that, among many other things,
> > with their unsuccessful and long-defunct  Network extensible Windows system: NeWS.
> > Absence of security model is  alsso probably the reason  why perl did not trhive
> > in this biotop (the browsers themselves , not the servers who feeded the browsers).
> > The module Safe is nice though but that is an afterthought . As a result it could not be made  totally secure.
> > .
> > .
> > .
> Maybe.
>
> In '94-95, Perl was painful to embed; moreover, it lacked
> a popular way to construct "dancing bears", which seemed
> to be at the heart of the first hundred thousand client-
> side Java demonstrations.
>
> At this point, I'm unconvinced that anything that happened
> during the Era of Browser Wars had to do with a sophisti-
> cated appreciation of security, by anyone, in any direction.

I agree that "dancing bears" was what made java a success in a
then dull browser world but its long-lasting success well beyond the
browser biotop is due in great part to its security model.
Pursuing my biologic metaphor spreading is necessary, but it is not enough.
A security model for a software entity  in the promiscuous Internet world is akin to an healthy immune system for a biological
organism.

--
  stef

> From language-dev-return-247-claird=starbase.neosoft.com@netthink.co.uk  Wed Jul 11 13:35:23 2001
> 		.
> 		.
> 		.
> The lesson to be drawn is consistent with Dan sayings: it is  an excellent way to spread a product as a browser or better as a
> plug-in  but the security model must be thought ab initio. Sun and Gosling have learnt that, among many other things,
> with their unsuccessful and long-defunct  Network extensible Windows system: NeWS.
> Absence of security model is  alsso probably the reason  why perl did not trhive
> in this biotop (the browsers themselves , not the servers who feeded the browsers).
> The module Safe is nice though but that is an afterthought . As a result it could not be made  totally secure.
> 		.
> 		.
> 		.
Maybe.

In '94-95, Perl was painful to embed; moreover, it lacked
a popular way to construct "dancing bears", which seemed
to be at the heart of the first hundred thousand client-
side Java demonstrations.

At this point, I'm unconvinced that anything that happened
during the Era of Browser Wars had to do with a sophisti-
cated appreciation of security, by anyone, in any direction.
0
claird

new lists: perl6-language-flow, perl6-language-io and perl6-language-unlink
WORKING GROUP: perl6-language-flow CHAIR: uri guttman <uri@sysarch.com> MISSION: Draft, discuss, and revise RFCs relating to flow control in Perl 6, eg switch/case, looping, etc. Suggest/request other flowcontrol-related lists if appropriate DEADLINE: 3 weeks, extensible on request (end 26th August?) DESCRIPTION: Submit flowcontrol-related RFCs to the Perl 6 librarian as they are developed. WORKING GROUP: perl6-language-unlink CHAIR: Nathan Wiger <nate@wiger.org> MISSION: Discuss and re...

peer to peer programming
Hi, Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer applications in perl? (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) If it is possible to do it in perl, please tell me where I can find more about it if you know. Thank you. Octavian On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 20:45 +0300, Octavian Rasnita wrote: > Hi, > > Does anyone know where I could find information about creating peer to peer > applications in perl? > (Like messengers that don't require a base server...) > > If it is possible to do it in perl, plea...

peer to peer
Hi guys I don't have to reset my home peer to peer often so I have totally forgotten how to do it. I am running win98se with all the updates, thin Ethernet cable Ethernet cards in each machine. The computer tells me that the ports, irq, and mem address match between hardware and software, the workgroup names are the same. I can see the one computer name in nhood on each machine but not both names on each machine. I uninstalled ZAF and moved the IE6.0 beta INTRANET security to low. This was working yesterday I installed a new copy of Win98se on my wife's machine which hadn...

Peer to Peer
Hi, I am studying a new Peer2Peer project and I have some concerns that speed limit cannot be done. I mean. The software can show the download (or upload) is using n% ( n<30) of your bandwidth but in fact it's using all of it. If I get the project, I will use Delphi + Indy. But first I would like to know from you if you can control your bandwidth through a software? TIA, Clément Hi, You generally cant control the peak bandwidth use (unless you have the intention to hack the network card in use). You can however control the bandwidth use over time. You do th...

PEER-TO-PEER
Howdy Security minded people!!! Iwas wondering , How much Peer -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE alarm, TpF , and SYgate.????????? Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the PORT 139 NETBIOS feature that is SO intrinsic to FILESHARING ?? ,ala GNUTELLA , GROKSTER ,IMESH ,KAZZA ????????????? sstu wrote: > Howdy Security minded people!!! Iwas wondering , How much Peer > -to -peer file sharing can you NOT do with a GOOD firewall like ZONE > alarm, TpF , and SYgate.????????? Does not a firewall BLOCK OFF the > PORT 139 NETBIOS feat...

peer to peer share programs
What about morpheus an winmx relative to spyware? WinMx is spyware free to the best of my knowledge. Morpheus I think does have crap with it and IIRC won't work without it but I am not certain of that. -- Charlie Tame "Juan Carlos <Fortinero>" <noemail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:3BD78E30.E8BD7F24@coldmail.com... > What about morpheus an winmx relative to spyware? > Juan Carlos <Fortinero> <noemail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:3BD78E30.E8BD7F24@coldmail.com... > What about morpheus an winmx relative to spyware?...

list changes: perl6-language-objects added, perl6-language-unlink closed
Subscribe by sending mail to perl6-language-objects-subscribe@perl.org. More details at http://dev.perl.org/lists.shtml LIST: perl6-language-objects CHAIR: Nathan Wiger <nate@west.sun.com> MISSION: Develop RFCs related to objects and OO programming in Perl, possibly rationalising existing RFCs where they cover the same ground. DEADLINE: As long as it takes. Report fortnightly (first report August 29th). - ask -- ask bjoern hansen - <http://www.netcetera.dk/~ask/> more than 70...

Peer to peer connection
Hi, I'm trying to make a program to transfer files between my pc and another that is behind a router. My side will act as master and the other just as a slave, serving what master asks without user interference. I know that the easiest way is to run a idTCPserver at the slave side and a idTCPclient at master's side, but this needs to forward the used port at the router. I want to keep out of this. So I try the reverse way. A idTCPclient at slave side and idTCPserver at my side as master (in my side I can forward ports). Starting the slave it connects to master-server. Af...

Peer to peer applications
Am facing a problem in developing peer to peer appln. first of all a machine has two ips(one private visible in intranet like 192.168.0.121 and second public ip visible in internet 10.2.2.3).now i need to connect to a peer located at remote place with the same criteria(two ips).The problem is i cnt go through the public ip to internal ip.On reading some articles on net i came to know the technique used to connect through public ip to private ip is termed as "HOLE PUNCHING"/"PORT FORWARDING".can some one help me on this issue? r is there any alternative other than this.I have to do it progra...

Peer to Peer Issues
I have a small network operating behind a NAT router, OSs consist of XP home and Ubuntu Linux. On my NAT router I have tended to block all ports outbound and open up as required. In the UK many TV networks operate a Peer to Peer system to allow viewers to catch up on TV programs after the initial broadcast. What are the main security issues with this, I understand P2P as effectively allowing anyone access to my PC but assume this is Read Only and only a specific directory. To date I have tended to use the streaming service but quality is less than obtaining the entire p...

Hamachi
Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. Geoff Lane Geoff Lane wrote: > Having briefly read about the new Hamachi VPN system I am of the > understanding that to initially make the connection I have to log on > to the Hamaci server to get the IP addresses. > > Would this not only be necessary for dynamic IP addresses. > > Geoff Lane > I'm not sure...

Peer to Peer Option
--____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Tue, 20 Feb 2006 10:29:28 +0000" Hi, Does anyone know how to setup the iFolder 3.2 peer to peer option? on the = iFolder website (www.ifolder.com) it says it is contained in the source = downloads. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance. Steve. --____ADXKZADLVECJQHAJDWKJ____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____" --____SBDTGINQINGHZHNMBGVL____ ...

Peer 2 Peer
Hi, is there any quick guide about using P2P functionality in 3.8?, i've been using unison between 2 hosts and worked well so far. Now I need to sync 4 machines with the same data and I guess iFolder would do a better job. Regards, -- ciriarte ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ciriarte, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Vis...

Ghost peer to peer
Sometimes we ghost image 1 machine from another (peer to peer). If I do this with ZCM, what must I do to the freshly imaged machine to have registration, etc. work correctly? -- willmw ------------------------------------------------------------------------ willmw, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or che...

Web resources about - dLoo releases peer-to-peer programming language - perl.perl6.language

Peer-to-peer file sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Peer-to-peer file sharing is the distribution and sharing of digital documents and computer files using the technology of peer-to-peer (P2P) ...

Peer-to-Peer Technology : What are some of the peer-to-peer consumer startups?
Answer (1 of 26): Here's an interesting infographic via showing the rise of consumer p2p across categories with a bunch of examples in each category.(via ...

Lifelink – The Peer-to-Peer Life Counter for Magic: The Gathering on the App Store on iTunes
Get Lifelink – The Peer-to-Peer Life Counter for Magic: The Gathering on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Peer-to-peer lenders attract investors with double-digit returns
... through banking's answer to eBay. Savers are earning almost 10 per cent a year by lending online through banking's answer to eBay. Peer to ...

Peer-To-Peer Networks Go Legit
The technology best known for pirating movies, music and software online is increasingly being adopted by businesses as a cheap way to get video ...

Westpac's Jason Yetton signals potential of peer-to-peer lending and crowdfunding
Banks face growing competition from nascent online industries including peer-to-peer lending, which allow savers to directly fund borrowers via ...

iOS 8 uses peer-to-peer connections for AirPlay to Apple TV, no longer needs a network
iOS 8 uses peer-to-peer technology to stream video to Apple TV, as described by Apple on a page highlighting enterprise features . Today, AirPlay ...

Morgan Stanley says peer-to-peer loans will soar to $22b in Australia by 2020
The value of loans made through peer-to-peer lending platforms in Australia will surge to $22 billion in the next five years, says investment ...

RelayRides Brings Its Peer-to-Peer Car Rentals to the Airport
... out of town rent out their cars to visitors while they were gone, it seemed kind of like a “ RelayRides for airports ,” bringing the peer-to-peer ...

Peer-To-Peer Proselytizing
Atul Gawande’s article on how innovations spread has inspired Brett Keller, a global health worker who started as a missionary, to consider how ...