"Attribute" vs. "Property"

I just want to verify that I properly understand the use of these two terms
in Perl 6.

  * An "attribute" is a data member of a class.
  * A "property" is a piece of metadata on a...uh...thing -- e.g., on an
    attribute, on a class, or on a method.

Do I have it right?

For some reason, I've always referred to class data members as "properties",
and thought of metadata on such things as "attributes" -- the reverse of the
above. This despite the use of "attribute" in the above usage in Damian's
book. So do I just need to turn myself around (at least when talking about
Perl), or is there a chance that the language designers would decide that
the way I use the terms is ever-so-much-better? ;-)

Regards,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

0
david
5/11/2002 4:24:22 PM
perl.perl6.language 6835 articles. 0 followers. Follow

David Wheeler wrote:

> I just want to verify that I properly understand the use of these two terms
> in Perl 6.

.....and in the wider OO community, BTW.

>   * An "attribute" is a data member of a class.

Yes.

>   * A "property" is a piece of metadata on a...uh...thing -- e.g., on an
>     attribute, on a class, or on a method.

or on a subroutine, closure, or value.

> Do I have it right?

Yes.

> So do I just need to turn myself around (at least when talking about
> Perl), or is there a chance that the language designers would decide that
> the way I use the terms is ever-so-much-better? ;-)

Well, I suppose there's always a *chance* that we'd both completely reverse
our careful thinking on this issue and ignore the common usage of "attribute"
in the OO literature. But I do think it would be easier all round if you just
went with our chosen terminology for Perl 6. ;-)

Damian
0
damian
5/11/2002 9:48:19 PM
On 5/11/02 2:48 PM, "Damian Conway" <damian@conway.org> claimed:

> Well, I suppose there's always a *chance* that we'd both completely reverse
> our careful thinking on this issue and ignore the common usage of "attribute"
> in the OO literature. But I do think it would be easier all round if you just
> went with our chosen terminology for Perl 6. ;-)

Damn. I was afraid you were going to say that! :-)

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                               Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

0
david

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

"PopupExtender" vs "PopupControl" vs "PopupExtenderControl"
I am looking through the Toolkit source code and trying to understand it wrt the PopupExtenderControl.  In the project I see two folders: "PopupExtender" and "PopupControl".  These contains classes "PopupControlExtender" and "PopupExtender" and these both eventually derived from "AnimationExtenderControlBase".Do these two classes work in conjunction to implement the PopupExtender?  Or are they separate, autonomous extenders wth different purposes?  If so, which one corresponds to the PopupExtender on the sample page? ...

Replacing "\\" with "\"

Using "+" or "||"

"Me" is better than "You"

double quote

replace the "." with a ","

"Using" or "With"

"To" and "From" missing

language="text/javascript" vs language="javascript"

Web resources about - "Attribute" vs. "Property" - perl.perl6.language