How to "make smoke" when parrot won't make? (was Re: [perl #63922] Fresh rakudo fails to build on FreeBSD)

> I just pulled the fresh rakudo sources, Configured them with
> --gen-parrot and the parrot build fails:
> ./miniparrot config_lib.pasm > runtime/parrot/include/config.fpmc
> Null PMC access in get_pmc_keyed_str()
> gmake: *** [runtime/parrot/include/parrotlib.pbc ...

It looks like I'm having the same problem on openbsd, which I posted
about here a few days ago. Trying be a little more helpful, I set up a
cron job to update and smoke-test parrot. The smoke test ran OK with
the older revision of parrot, r37017, then I updated to the current
rev, r37540. That gets the same build error at the "./miniparrot
config_lib.pasm " step.

Thing is, I don't know how to report a build failure to smolder. "make
smoke" won't run if "make" won't run!

So, what's the way to tell smolder "make" failed?
0
not
3/18/2009 4:32:13 AM
perl.perl6.compiler 1237 articles. 0 followers. Follow

> So, what's the way to tell smolder "make" failed?

After looking into it a bit more, there is a buildbot for parrot, so
I'm seeing about adding my system to that.

In the bigger picture, I was thinking that the "right way" to start a
smoke test would be-

0.remove all dependencies on the smoke/smolder tests from the makefile
1.very first test would check if those dependencies are up to date- if
so, report "build" test success and continue with testing
2.if dependencies need to be built, make them and capture output
3.if step 2 fails, report a failure of a "build" test and skip all
other tests, report that

Would that be useful? Or does "make test" imply build was successful,
and that's why we have buildbot?
0
not