What if P5P had an RFC style voting system for new features?

P5P:

PHP has a novel voting system for any new features (or removals) that go
in to their language. A select group of developers are allowed to vote
on changes to the language, and most votes require a 2/3 majority to pass.

RFC System: https://wiki.php.net/rfc

Currently there is an open vote on renaming an old constant that's in
the active voting phase. I think this is a good example of the system in
action:

https://wiki.php.net/rfc/rename-double-colon-token

Would a system like this help P5P?

I don't think we'll ever all agree on a feature, but something like
might make it easier to come to a consensus. It would probably help to
make the process less personal as well. I would be willing to mock
something up we could test with if the group thinks something like this
would be helpful.

- Scott
0
scott

--000000000000f6100b05a93f03e2

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:31 PM Scott Baker <scott@perturb.org> wrote:

> P5P:
>
> PHP has a novel voting system for any new features (or removals) that go
> in to their language. A select group of developers are allowed to vote
> on changes to the language, and most votes require a 2/3 majority to pass.
>
> RFC System: https://wiki.php.net/rfc
>
> Currently there is an open vote on renaming an old constant that's in
> the active voting phase. I think this is a good example of the system in
> action:
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/rename-double-colon-token
>
> Would a system like this help P5P?
>
> I don't think we'll ever all agree on a feature, but something like
> might make it easier to come to a consensus. It would probably help to
> make the process less personal as well. I would be willing to mock
> something up we could test with if the group thinks something like this
> would be helpful.

See
https://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2017/12/msg248481.html for
an extensive previous discussion on this topic. Some people also put
together a proposal for a PEP-like process but I can't find that currently.

-Dan

--000000000000f6100b05a93f03e2

=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 4:31 PM Scott Baker &=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott@perturb.org">scott@perturb.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br=
border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">P5P:<br>
PHP has a novel voting system for any new features (or removals) that go<br=

in to their language. A select group of developers are allowed to vote<br>
on changes to the language, and most votes require a 2/3 majority to pass.<=
br>
RFC System: <a href=3D"https://wiki.php.net/rfc" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">https://wiki.php.net/rfc</a><br>
Currently there is an open vote on renaming an old constant that&#39;s in<b=
r>
the active voting phase. I think this is a good example of the system in<br=

action:<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">https://wiki.php.net/rfc/rename-double-colon-token=
</a><br>
Would a system like this help P5P?<br>
I don&#39;t think we&#39;ll ever all agree on a feature, but something like=
might make it easier to come to a consensus. It would probably help to<br>
make the process less personal as well. I would be willing to mock<br>
something up we could test with if the group thinks something like this<br>
ttps://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2017/12/msg248481.html">h=
ttps://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/2017/12/msg248481.html</a=
>=C2=A0for an extensive previous discussion on this topic. Some people also=
 put together a proposal for a PEP-like process but I can&#39;t find that c=

--000000000000f6100b05a93f03e2--
0
grinnz